• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Can I no longer see all songs by an artist if they have three or more albums? If I click an artist's name twice it's just a blank screen. Pretty ridiculous, all songs by artist is my default view. Apple Music has screwed up the app and has no music I like available. What a disaster (for me).

I just mentioned this earlier today! If you have more than two albums for an artist, it's impossible to shuffle all their songs or even play all their songs in order, it makes you choose an album

It's unbelievable

ZeroX03

Banned
I just mentioned this earlier today! If you have more than two albums for an artist, it's impossible to shuffle all their songs or even play all their songs in order, it makes you choose an album

It's unbelievable

You can shuffle all songs by pressing on the artist artwork on the first music screen. It'll play the first song in their catalog, and if you have shuffle turned on it'll go from there. Not ideal at all though, especially if you want to start at a specific song.

You can shuffle all songs by pressing on the artist artwork on the first music screen. It'll play the first song in their catalog, and if you have shuffle turned on it'll go from there. Not ideal at all though, especially if you want to start at a specific song.

Well that solves half my problem, thank you

I prefer the content, but I miss Spotify's interface. Apple Music feels like an alpha, broken, slow, confusing to work out, and the artist pages look like their stylesheet is broken.

Hoping they can iron things out, or perhaps I will get used to it. Definitely willing to switch from Spotify just for the Beats1 content alone.

holygeesus

Banned
I ran into this issue as well, had to remove the albums with greyed out songs from my iCloud library and re-add them.. seems to have fixed the issue for now but only time will tell.

Oh well played sir. Star-man thanks a lot!

Seriously Apple, I appreciate this is early days, and while these blips are acceptable while the service is still free, I will be less patient if I have to manually go through ~50% of my library and delete and re-add them all the time, when I am paying for the privilege. Sort it out!

You can do a search and find that different devices (even different software) AirPlay at different rates of compression.

Thanks for this. I had no idea this was the case. Any reason why it would compress iPhone Airplay more?

Kinsella

Banned
So I updated my iPad and none of the playlists I've made in my phone are there. What gives?

Go into the Apple Music tab in Settings and enable cloud.

I prefer the content, but I miss Spotify's interface. Apple Music feels like an alpha, broken, slow, confusing to work out, and the artist pages look like their stylesheet is broken.

Hoping they can iron things out, or perhaps I will get used to it. Definitely willing to switch from Spotify just for the Beats1 content alone.

Isn't Beats 1 free regardless?

numble

Oh well played sir. Star-man thanks a lot!

Thanks for this. I had no idea this was the case. Any reason why it would compress iPhone Airplay more?
From here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2630381?start=0&tstart=0

Question: "Will AirPlay stream up to 96/24 or 192/24 or will it downsample everything to 44/16 even if the receiving device is caple of higher resolution playback?"

Answer: Airplay will stream the 24/96 content to receiving devices like the Marantz NA7004, but only from your computer, not from one of the portable Apple devices. Those portable devices, like the iPhone and iPad are internally limited to 16/44. You can use your iPhone or iPad to control the content streaming from the computer to the receiver.

Also, when you listen to music on an iPhone or iPod, the music is not at the 16/44 resolution, it is lower. Apple provides a DAC in each device that does not deliver the full 16/44 resolution. 16/44 is equivalent to CD quality and the Apple Lossless format. If you want that quality from your iPhone, iPod or iPad then you need an external digital dock that decrypts the USB output and converts it at 16/44. Some of the docks available can process up to 24/192, but the iPhone, etc. are still going to restrict you to 16/44 maximum.

You can also use a streaming system over wifi from you iTunes library directly to your iPhone or iPad. Try Zumocast for that, but again, limited to 16/44 and you would need the digital dock as well to get that resolution.

Fantastic. Thanks again.

Seems a bizarre move, to have a lossless streaming system, yet detract it by downsampling. Will stick to the Mac when possible.

The audio chip on the iPhone literally doesn't support 24-bit bitrates. It supports up to 192 sample rate (if memory serves), but the bitrate is stuck at 16. So iTunes won't even let you drop 24-bit music on your iPhone. Hopefully if Apple starts to sell lossless music on iTunes that'll change. If you're saying that even 16/44 music gets compressed on the iPhone, I don't see any technical reason why they'd do that.

MercuryLS

Banned
While the app still needs work, I love the for you section. The recommendations and wonderfully curated playlists are spectacular. Beats 1 is also amazing.

The content on Apple music is wonderful, but there are some major Iuues with the app. Hopefully Apple fixes the issues quickly, cause the overall service is great imo.

When I tried Beats Music when it launched last year, the playlists and recommendations were already top notch, glad that it's continuing. It really makes a difference. So many times it presents something just what I wanted.

Hopefully they do iron out the app, it's a little laggy (moreso on the iPad than on the iPhone) and using iTunes for this is laughable. They do have time to figure it out and judging by someone noticing how shoddy the Connect app is for artists (and that artist getting an email from Trent Reznor himself saying they do hear the responses loud and clear) I think the app will improve dramatically by the time iOS9 rolls around. Hoping for a few UI tweaks as well.

my main issue is that each UI change will involve an entire system/firmware update as the music app is part of the OS and not standalone like spotify. could mean much slower updates.

But you don't have to pay for Beats1 to get access to its "content" (radio stream), also you could try listening to other radio stations streams as well. BBC have quite a few good ones accessible through their own player or radio apps such as TuneIn Radio.

Also I still have not found any good playlists or curators that don't have anything else than old music or what is supposed to be new music but appears to be abandoned playlists.

Angst

my main issue is that each UI change will involve an entire system/firmware update as the music app is part of the OS and not standalone like spotify. could mean much slower updates.

Or it could mean more frequent system delta updates, or cloud updates ala Apple Maps.

As a Android phone user with an iPad I don't really understand why Apple has apps that are part of the OS. Mind I explaining why for example music isn't just a stand-alone app that comes pre-installed with the OS and can't be uninstalled?

Ambitious

Why is "For You" recommending me music from Eminem and Daft Punk even though I neither have a single Rap/Electronic song in my library nor have hearted any of their songs?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
As a Android phone user with an iPad I don't really understand why Apple has apps that are part of the OS. Mind I explaining why for example music isn't just a stand-alone app that comes pre-installed with the OS and can't be uninstalled?

Well if you look at the history... iPhone had preinstalled apps that were a part of the hardware before there was even an app store. So OS-attached apps predate the concept of even having newly installable apps.

Why they haven't changed that? I guess they want you to use their apps.

Actually, you can see the fruits of their their control with Apple Music. Had they not kept us locked into their music app for 8 years, they couldn't attach their music service to it, trojan horsing the service into the core use of the phone.

Apps absolutely should be independently updatable without OS updates, though....

Angst

Well if you look at the history... iPhone had preinstalled apps that were a part of the hardware before there was even an app store.

Why they haven't changed that? I guess they want you to use their apps for certain reasons.

Actually, you can see the fruits of their their control with Apple Music. Had they not kept us locked into their music app for 8 years, they couldn't attach their music service to it, trojan horsing the service into the core use of the phone.

Apps absolutely should be independently updatable without OS updates, though....
Thanks. It's the last part about apps not being independently updatable that baffles me the most.

Why is "For You" recommending me music from Eminem and Daft Punk even though I neither have a single Rap/Electronic song in my library nor have hearted any of their songs?

Did you understand set up right,

Fsk2ZaJl.png

Some weird stuff could have slipped through with

It does even itself out though - at least for me. Mine was recommended Nickelback for a while (help.....), but now seem to be good..Giving me interesting stuff like Reggae Inspired Rock and Bossa Nova Pop playlists. Neither is something i would auto chose to listen to - but found both enjoyable.

Ambitious

Did you understand set up right,

Fsk2ZaJl.png

Some weird stuff could have slipped through with

It does even itself out though - at least for me. Mine was recommended Nickelback for a while (help.....), but now seem to be good..Giving me interesting stuff like Reggae Inspired Rock and Bossa Nova Pop playlists. Neither is something i would auto chose to listen to - but found both enjoyable.

I did indeed include Electronic during the initial setup, but I have removed it since then. Even after refreshing For You, Eminem, Daft Punk and several other Electronic artists are still there.

I did indeed include Electronic during the initial setup, but I have removed it since then. Even after refreshing For You, Eminem, Daft Punk and several other Electronic artists are still there.

My opinion is just keep going. Based on their T&C, Apple is tracking a whole bunch - including skipped tracks, how long you listen to single tracks down to the second, when you pause, stop, and what you search - they have a lot to analyse.

I have being both hearting and downloading loads of stuff I really like, and For You seems to have some idea about me. It messes up every now and then, but gets a bunch right too. Is it at least getting something right for you currently?

For You is technically targeted advertisements for Apple, so it is in their best interests to get it right. They should want to know about you very well to sell you as much as possible!

This is me right now...

JzhAnbxl.png

I am a fan of both, but never listened to either on Apple Music before (I used Spotify), so I like that Apple have figured out I might like them based on other music I listened to.

neshcom

Banned
I feel like they won't remove For You recommendations, even if you actively dislike them. That way you can go back if you hear a playlist and don't get to add it immediately.

Or it could mean more frequent system delta updates, or cloud updates ala Apple Maps.

i've only recently started using an iphone so my knowledge of its update history is pretty lacking, were these cloud updates for things like UI etc. or where they more for the actual data used by Maps? with a map service it's easyish to update stuff like map data because that's kept on the server side. for Music that would be stuff like, adding more artists, improving Connect content, fine-tuning the recommendation algorithms etc., the UI would have to be a downloaded update i would assume?
i'm no expert though, so i could be way off.

So If I play a playlist it album and I music stops playing because I set a sleep timer, it won't remember the location..... It just reverts to my local music and have forgotten what I played.

Also why is there not a separate use mobile data setting for Apple music streaming?

goodfella

There should be a way to dismiss recommendations in the 'For You' Section.

Yes Apple I do love Burial, well done, but no I don't need an introduction to his best music - I am already away of all his tracks!

Gattsu25

Banned
There should be a way to dismiss recommendations in the 'For You' Section.

Yes Apple I do love Burial, well done, but no I don't need an introduction to his best music - I am already away of all his tracks!

Just wanted to comment that you have good taste in music and should feel good about yourself.

That's all.

I got recommended Tove Styrke by Apple's algorithms... and I think I like!

Sweden has a solid number of good female artists in their 20s!

Finally upgraded my phone today (figured I'd wait till the first bug bashing patch, but whatever)

I hate streaming music. I like the ability to have things on a hard drive somewhere, so when the doomsday comes, I have my shit.

That being said, I quite like Apple Music. The for you really works, playlists are handcrafted and provide "intro's" to artists, which is a big plus for me, and if I want, I can still buy and own an album rather than "saving it for offline"

can someone with an iPhone and a Mac try this..

on your mac add or remove a song from a playlist (don't have to delete it from your library, just change the playlist).

Do you see the change in the playlist reflect on your iPhone? Mine hasn't been working since yesterday.

MoodyFog

can someone with an iPhone and a Mac try this..

on your mac add or remove a song from a playlist (don't have to delete it from your library, just change the playlist).

Do you see the change in the playlist reflect on your iPhone? Mine hasn't been working since yesterday.

Yes I do

It's worth following Apple Curators (Apple Music Alternative etc.) on Connect. They post new playlists there so you don't ned to go digging for them in the New section.

X-Frame

So I just did a Time Machine backup. If I turn on iCloud Music Library on my mac now and something messes up and my library gets destroyed (worst case), I can easily restore my iTunes music library through Time Machine, correct? I've never actually had to restore something yet through TM. Thanks!

Majora

Why is the iOS app so quiet? It's like half the volume of the Spotify app on full. Can't hear shit when I'm out of the house. Even got the EQ set to loudness. Is there no way I can make this louder?

One of my favorite features of this service overall is the producer spotlights. For one, it definitely knows who my favorite producers are, but next to that, it also give credit to those people beyond everyone's knowledge. I have to look for the Missy and Timbaland spotlight.

Mareg

This is definitly in beta state.

I'm having all kind of bugs. The worst being make available offline not working correctly when you own part of an album that has both a regular and a bonus edition. I think it is because I own songs from both versions.

That with all the frequent blank screens. I have even got some not available anymore error messages. A bit messed up.

However, I'll wait for a couple of bug fixes before I give final judgment. Those 3 free months must be for beta-testing.

Why is the iOS app so quiet? It's like half the volume of the Spotify app on full. Can't hear shit when I'm out of the house. Even got the EQ set to loudness. Is there no way I can make this louder?

My only guess is you might have this on by mistake, and Apple Music obeys this whereas Spotify bypassed the setting..

FmuasyV.png

App does not pump out lower audio by default

Kinsella

Banned
Anyone who used Spotify daily for years.. How do you like Apple Music? Are there things it does better and worse?

Only thing it does better is integrating music I own with the music I'm renting, but even that is buggy as hell currently. Everything else feels like a huge step down from Spotify so far. The worst part of it so far for me is how bad the UI is on iTunes and how much using it on my iPad affects its performance.

Top Bottom