• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

This thing keeps recommending me drake after I dislike every drake track list it's put up here. Also is there a way to see recently played tracks.

the3ye

I think so. I'm planning on removing all my music from my phone, turning on iCloud Library so it wipes it, then readding my music to my phone with iCloud Library turned off.
My god, I hope they fix it soon.
Just give me an option. If I want to transfer my whole catalog of music, let me choose.

OMG
Some of the files were not copied to the iPad because iCloud Music Library is enabled on this iPad.
What a bullshit. They don't let me send my local files to iPad.
iCloud off on iTunes, on on iPad.

So, I can say "hey Siri, shuffle all my songs". How the heck can I do the same from the UI. If I go to "songs" there's no shuffle button like there used to be.

My god, I hope they fix it soon.
Just give me an option. If I want to transfer my whole catalog of music, let me choose.

OMG

What a bullshit. They don't let me send my local files to iPad.
iCloud off on iTunes, on on iPad.

I've had to turn all Cloud stuff off on my iPhone because I don't want access to everything. What I want is the music I copy locally (so, the albums I want there), and then maybe one or two playlists of stuff from Apple Music.

It's a mess, really. I like it, admire it, but there's serious UI flaws. Major major flaws. So it's whether they fix it in the next three months that I suppose will determine whether I stick or just stay Spotify. (And, I suspect that's true for many people. This seems like such a mess for people to use- especially coming from the relative simplicity of Spotify. And while the playlists and radio are wonderful, far better than anything other services offer, adding a song to playlist is currently far more hassle than it need be. And listening to that playlist on anything other than the computer it was made on? Hassle.)

aeolustl

This thing keeps recommending me drake after I dislike every drake track list it's put up here. Also is there a way to see recently played tracks.

Did you just dislike them in radio only? I believe Radio section is separated from For You.

You have to choose "I don't like this suggestion" for those in For You by long pressing that album.

DOWN

Banned
Now my issue is if this is worth $120 a year vs Spotify which is only $60 for my next year as a student

holygeesus

Banned
My latest bizarre issue, is with songs that are greyed out on iTunes but *not* on iOS

Example:

iTunes

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-03%20at%2019.59.40_zps4t1t2yym.png

iPhone

IMG_1531_zpsae8w8e7l.jpg

Check track 4. It plays fine on my iPhone but not on iTunes Mac. Any ideas?

Miyahon

I guess you cannot make a playlist of songs without first adding them to your music. Spent time making a playlist of songs on my iPad and saw the check mark saying it was added. Went into that playlist and it was mostly empty except the songs I had added to My Music before. So its not like Spotify where you can create a playlist of songs to stream or download but you need to add the music to your library first then you can use those songs to create a playlist. Otherwise none of those songs you added on your device will show up.

Moreche

I'm really enjoying the service and will definitely sign up when the trial is over but reading your posts makes me glad I don't have spotify to compare it to as this is my first use of a music streaming service.
I agree with most of the comments though about the UI and I'm amazed for a company that purchased beats for so much money to launch with the mistakes they've made.
They should have just purchased spotify.

Kinsella

Banned
I'm really enjoying the service and will definitely sign up when the trial is over but reading your posts makes me glad I don't have spotify to compare it to as this is my first use of a music streaming service.
I agree with most of the comments though about the UI and I'm amazed for a company that purchased beats for so much money to launch with the mistakes they've made.
They should have just purchased spotify.

Why not just try spotify for free? You'll know right away if it's better or worse (it's better). Apple has some serious work to do to make their service palatable. Namely the UI. Spotify still has a lot to work on too, but at least their UI doesn't get in the way of the music.

the3ye

I've had to turn all Cloud stuff off on my iPhone because I don't want access to everything. What I want is the music I copy locally (so, the albums I want there), and then maybe one or two playlists of stuff from Apple Music.

It's a mess, really. I like it, admire it, but there's serious UI flaws. Major major flaws. So it's whether they fix it in the next three months that I suppose will determine whether I stick or just stay Spotify. (And, I suspect that's true for many people. This seems like such a mess for people to use- especially coming from the relative simplicity of Spotify. And while the playlists and radio are wonderful, far better than anything other services offer, adding a song to playlist is currently far more hassle than it need be. And listening to that playlist on anything other than the computer it was made on? Hassle.)
For now I have a walkaround. Turning off iCloud on iOS, syncing local music from iTunes, turning iCloud back on. It's a pain in the ass and it uploads music to cloud from iOS but still, it's something. I bet they won't change it and it sucks.

Is there no way on iOS to shuffle between all of an artist's albums? If you gave more than three albums saved it groups albums together visually, which is fine, but there's no shuffle option

MCR: three albums, grouped, no shuffle

Billy Talent: two albums, not grouped, shuffle

GWX

Is there no way on iOS to shuffle between all of an artist's albums? If you gave more than three albums saved it groups albums together visually, which is fine, but there's no shuffle option

Wow, this is a big oversight on Apple's end.

MercuryLS

Banned

This really bothers me. I like to shuffle an artist music often. Fix this shit Guerilla.

Is the workaround for that to tap the three dots, hit add to up next, and the shuffle from the up next screen?

Wow, this is a big oversight on Apple's end.

This really bothers me. I like to shuffle an artist music often. Fix this shit Guerilla.

It's not even just missing the shuffle function. There's no way to just play through an artist's stuff in ANY order if you have more than two albums saved. One album won't go to the next automatically

Is the workaround for that to tap the three dots, hit add to up next, and the shuffle from the up next screen?

That's doesn't work. There's no shuffle option on the up-next screen, and if you add all the albums to up next, start playing, and then toggle the shuffle, it just won't. It will obey the up-next order

This is such a shitshow. How could something like this have been missed?

centracore

My latest bizarre issue, is with songs that are greyed out on iTunes but *not* on iOS

Example:

iTunes

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-03%20at%2019.59.40_zps4t1t2yym.png

iPhone

IMG_1531_zpsae8w8e7l.jpg

Check track 4. It plays fine on my iPhone but not on iTunes Mac. Any ideas?

I ran into this issue as well, had to remove the albums with greyed out songs from my iCloud library and re-add them.. seems to have fixed the issue for now but only time will tell.

Futureman

Now my issue is if this is worth $120 a year vs Spotify which is only $60 for my next year as a student

Unless there's an appreciable difference in artists available on Apple that aren't Spotify... seems like a hard sell to me at this point.

Can't you click on the ... on each album and add them to a playlist, then play the playlist on shuffle? I know that's extra steps, but it should work.

I love Beats 1, but the equalization they put the bass through is ridiculous. So loud.

Yeah, I only started noticing this today. They seem to be putting a compressor-limiter on Beats 1 to push the volume up (a la what normal radio stations do). It's not as bad as normal radio stations, but it definitely feels over-compressed. I hope they get enough feedback to turn this off.

Is there a way to 'force' a refresh of the iCloud Library? I made a change to a playlist on my Mac, but the change isn't showing up on my iPhone.

Majine

Banned
Connect on iTunes (Mac) is a mess. Posts overlapping each other and a layout clearly designed for mobile forced unto a computer.

Ambitious

Connect on iTunes (Mac) is a mess. Posts overlapping each other and a layout clearly designed for mobile forced unto a computer.

I don't get this thing at all.

So there's a list of artists similar to the ones in my library, alright. There's also a bunch of big names like Madonna or Katy Perry, even though I neither have their music in my library nor listened to them using Apple Music. Whatever.

When I followed one of them, a message appeared at the bottom. Translated from German: "As you're now following someone, you can see their posts at 'Connect.'" Fine. First off, I had already started following about 20 artists when I installed the iOS app, so why "as you're following someone now"? Anyway, there's a "Go to Connect" button right next to this message. When I click it, the Connect page just reloads. So again, I just see a list of artists and no posts or anything like that.

When I click an artist's name:

bildschirmfoto2015-078cu9f.png

Though for some, there is no avatar (and no blurred background), even though is an avatar in the Connect page.
What's the point of this? Why an empty page? Even if they haven't posted anything and there is no biography available, shouldn't I at least see their music? Anything?

edit:

bildschirmfoto2015-07cvqpj.png

"An error occurred."
And that's it, I guess. It's broken. I have already tried restarting iTunes. Still getting the same message.

Strider

Had a thought on how nice it would be to force the Itunes pop out player to stay on top of all other windows. Turns out there's a setting for that so no other application needed
goodjob.gif

Probably been there for a while it's just been so long since I've used iTunes I didn't know about it yet...

Can't you click on the ... on each album and add them to a playlist, then play the playlist on shuffle? I know that's extra steps, but it should work.

That will literally work, yes, but I definitely wouldn't call that a solution. I shouldn't have to make a playlist to listen to an artist's music, either beginning to end or shuffled. It's a basic thing that's been in iTunes and iPods since 2001

Shane86

GAF I am royally confused. Is there no way to add streaming songs to my music without replacing your entire local library with streaming versions? Because I'm sure as hell not doing that

mackaveli

GAF I am royally confused. Is there no way to add streaming songs to my music without replacing your entire local library with streaming versions? Because I'm sure as hell not doing that

I'm sure you can. I've been adding streaming songs from my iPhone by making them available offline. And it's available in the cloud now for me to make offline on my pc. Doesn't seem to be interfering with my local music I own. Maybe you are asking something different and I don't understand.

HUELEN10

You can have both, song streams if it is not on your local machine. If you offline download that song, it gets DRM'd.

GAF being down ate the guides I attempted to put in the OT sadly, I am sorry; please understand.

I am out and about, but will try to retrieve them once I get home.

Shane86

I'm sure you can. I've been adding streaming songs from my iPhone by making them available offline. And it's available in the cloud now for me to make offline on my pc. Doesn't seem to be interfering with my local music I own. Maybe you are asking something different and I don't understand.

Why I click "add to my music" on a streaming song, it asks me to enable iCloud music library. The two options to enable it are "merge" or "replace". I chose merge and it deleted most of my locally stored songs and replaced them with streams.

mackaveli

Why I click "add to my music" on a streaming song, it asks me to enable iCloud music library. The two options to enable it are "merge" or "replace". I chose merge and it deleted most of my locally stored songs and replaced them with streams.

I see no clue why that happened. I selected merge and everything was fine for me I think. How can you tell it was replaced by streamed versions?

Shane86

I see no clue why that happened. I selected merge and everything was fine for me I think. How can you tell it was replaced by streamed versions?

Because the little phone symbol was beside the songs that were still on the phone. And some of them were replaced with live versions and different artwork

mackaveli

Because the little phone symbol was beside the songs that were still on the phone. And some of them were replaced with live versions and different artwork

Have you tried just showing the songs only stored on the phone locally to see if maybe they made duplicates or its in a different place on the phone? I checked my phone and every song I had locally before iCloud music merge still shows the phone icon. I didn't have any live versions of songs though.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So is the general consensus that I should hold off turning on iCloud Music Library for the time being?

numble

How is it any different to my Mac Airplaying to the same Amp?

The line of connection of both:

iPhone ----------Airplay------------Amp
MacBook-------Airplay------------Amp

They are both using the same wireless connection but the iPhone versions of songs I know pretty well, just sound harsher than playing them via the Mac.
You can do a search and find that different devices (even different software) AirPlay at different rates of compression.

the3ye

I really hope they will remove iCloud Library as a must to get full Apple Music experience.
When I add music or playlists and have them as "offline download" they are gone the moment I turn iCloud Library off.
Or at least give option not to upload localy synced tracks to cloud.

subrock

Searched in all the obvious places but I can't find a way to download all the songs from a playlist (that I made) to my device. I only see the "remove downloads" option. Sucks to have to do every song one at a time

Edit: oh dumb, just looks like an oversight. If even one song in the playlist is downloaded, the make available offline options turns into "remove downloads"

Quasar

Why not just try spotify for free? You'll know right away if it's better or worse (it's better). Apple has some serious work to do to make their service palatable. Namely the UI. Spotify still has a lot to work on too, but at least their UI doesn't get in the way of the music.

Its interesting how peoples perceptions colour so differently. I consider it already ahead of Spotify, but that's simply because Spotify lacks a critical feature for me (a music locker ofr content not on their system). The big negative is that Apples sharing of user playlists is terrible (to the point of uselessness) compared to spotify's.

Of course I consider Apples a bit of a nightmare compared to Googles system that just works. Of course googles works because you upload your whole library so there's no chance for it to fuck up.

ZeroX03

Banned
Can I no longer see all songs by an artist if they have three or more albums? If I click an artist's name twice it's just a blank screen. Pretty ridiculous, all songs by artist is my default view. Apple Music has screwed up the app and has no music I like available. What a disaster (for me).

Top Bottom