• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Foshy

This is annoying:

- Add a single song from an album to your library. Can be purchased or just from Apple Music
- Go to library
- Open song and try to add the rest of the album in one go

You can't. You either have to remove that one song first and then add the whole album or you have to add the whole album as offline. Or add each song one by one. Silly.

so it's not just me being dumb? yeah this is really annoying.

also, i've created a playlist on iTunes and the songs don't show up on the iOS app. The playlist + picture does, but none of the songs are in there.

Other than that I like it. Some stuff that needs to be sorted out but if they fix in time it I'll probably stay with Apple Music, otherwise it's back to Spotify after the 3 month free trial.

Ambitious

Reddit said:
Apple music added the song "no better" by lorde into one of my playlists six million times. Now my iTunes crashes every time I open it. What. The. Fuck.

87q75IW.jpg

Majora

so it's not just me being dumb? yeah this is really annoying.

Messing around some more, it seems like this is only an issue in library view specifically. If you search for the album in Apple Music, the option to add the whole album to your library is still in there.

There's lots and lots of little inconsistencies like this in the service that can make it feel laborious and confusing sometimes.

Newest offender for silliest thing I've seen. On an artist page you can tap on their name at the top of the page and it shows you a huge list of related artist thumbnails. You should be able to just click on them to go to that artist page, right? Nope. They're literally just photos and name text. Amateur hour in parts, this.

Apple Music: so unfortunate

How in the world did this launch years after Spotify and not beat it with a sweeping win in design? How did this adopt Beats Music and somehow butcher some of the simplest successes of that UI?

I'm not necessarily defending the UX failures of Apple Music and iTunes in general (there are many), but it's not quite fair to compare AM to Spotify. Spotify is focused on streaming and playlists. Apple Music has to be all things to all people. Some people have local music. Some people just want to stream. Some people make tons of playlists. Some people want someone else to choose music to play. Some people want their whole library on every device. Some people don't want to pay for that. Some people want to sync from the cloud. Some people want to manually copy songs to their phone.

I'm not saying Apple Music is a well-designed product, but it serves a lot more masters than Spotify does. And lack of focus inevitably creates complicated interfaces. But it can be better than it is, certainly.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Sounds like i'll wait a while
This is always the smartest choice when it comes to iOS updates. Which is ironic because the more people who are reluctant to update, the more splintered your userbase and the more difficult it is to update and provide security. So you'd think it would be in the software engineers best interest to maintain data integrity and nail the UX aspect to capture as many updates as possible.

But not Apple. Sometimes I think they've grown far too complacent to care.

I'm not necessarily defending the UX failures of Apple Music and iTunes in general (there are many), but it's not quite fair to compare AM to Spotify. Spotify is focused on streaming and playlists. Apple Music has to be all things to all people. Some people have local music. Some people just want to stream. Some people make tons of playlists. Some people want someone else to choose music to play. Some people want their whole library on every device. Some people don't want to pay for that. Some people want to sync from the cloud. Some people want to manually copy songs to their phone.

I'm not saying Apple Music is a well-designed product, but it serves a lot more masters than Spotify does. And lack of focus inevitably creates complicated interfaces. But it can be better than it is, certainly.

Google does the same and way better.

giga

Google does the same and way better.
I don't agree. I've had WAY better finds with Apple Music than Google ever gave me. And it's not just the new artists and songs I'm finding, it's how the individual songs in the playlists work really well together too.

Fry

Regret switching to this over Spotify.

Actually, I miss Deezer. At least I could download the app on my tv and go crazy. Spotify didnt have this advantage.

I don't agree. I've had WAY better finds with Apple Music than Google ever gave me. And it's not just the new artists and songs I'm finding, it's how the individual songs in the playlists work really well together too.

Song selection is a matter of opinion but at least Google Music actually works properly.

I know it took them a while to get there but damn Apple, this shit feels like a beta.

Nemic77

Biggest negative I have so far is that you can't add Apple Music songs to any iPod that doesn't have internet connection.

Tried syncing some new tracks to my iPod shuffle and it just flat out says that Apple Music items can't be added to iPods.

Other than that i'm loving the service...

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
So is there no way to make a list of favorite albums without adding them to my music / make offline? I don't want to turn on iCloud music library so I can't do either.

So far I have to search for an album when I want to stream it. I'd prefer to make a list of favorites somewhere

Song selection is a matter of opinion but at least Google Music actually works properly.

I know it took them a while to get there but damn Apple, this shit feels like a beta.

They all have their issues and questionable design decisions. Last I looked I couldn't go through my uploaded library in Google Music and choose individual tracks to store locally. You have to add all of the songs you want stored locally to a playlist and then download that playlist in bulk.

giga

My main issue with Google Music, in addition to what I said above, is that it transcodes all my AAC files to MP3. I'm not having that. Also, it sticks out like a sore thumb on iOS.

neshcom

Banned
Messing around some more, it seems like this is only an issue in library view specifically. If you search for the album in Apple Music, the option to add the whole album to your library is still in there.

There's lots and lots of little inconsistencies like this in the service that can make it feel laborious and confusing sometimes.

Yeah, this is also spotty with Apple Music Playlists. After spending 10 minutes getting the Boards of Canada PL into another list, the songs magically got into My Music, but I have no idea how.

Hopefully we can look back to this launch in the future and remember how much better it got from the beginning.

It does feel like a beta, but it also feels like it can be really great with fixing bugs and iterating some things.

My only issue with the Google Music player is that it zooms in on the album art for some reason. Also without a sub I don't really know what selection they have, I just upload my music.

number11

I'm hoping they fix these issues in the future.. But isn't iCloud music essentially iTunes Match? If they haven't perfected iTunes Match by now.. I'm not feeling optimistic.

I think my number one request might be remembering my Apple Music and My Music Playback position when switching back and forth between Beats 1/Radio and my music.

Hear a song you don't like on Beats 1? If this was the radio, I would quickly change stations or go back to my iPhone/"CD" for the next 4 minutes, then tune back in. What happens in this case? Switch to Beats 1, switch back, lose playback position, switch to Beats 1, switch back, lose playback position.

Ermac

My Music app has reverted all of my purchased songs back to their original artist. Now I've got a whole bunch of "X feat. Y" instead of my well organized system. Disabled Apple Music, Genius & iCloud Library and resynced but they're still staying that way. Good job Apple...

e: lost most of my artist artwork too and the app is constantly crashing.

How did you resync?

Quasar

My main issue with Google Music, in addition to what I said above, is that it transcodes all my AAC files to MP3. I'm not having that. Also, it sticks out like a sore thumb on iOS.

My library is all alac so that happens everywhere :)

The latter point makes me wonder about apple music on android. will it be as bad as itunes is on windows? Will they take it seriously and make a material design app?

My main issue with gpm is its lack of curation/playlists stuff.

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
So everytime I try and sync my sisters phone to iTunes, I don't see the option to sync music anymore. Can we not manually pick and choose what songs we want added anymore? Or am I going about this wrong and have to sync the library into the cloud which'll then show up on the phone?

tirminyl

They all have their issues and questionable design decisions. Last I looked I couldn't go through my uploaded library in Google Music and choose individual tracks to store locally. You have to add all of the songs you want stored locally to a playlist and then download that playlist in bulk.

What I do is thumbs up the songs I like and want to hear again. Even though all of my songs are uploaded I didn't thumbs up everything. Google Music automatically creates a Thumbs Up playlist. I pin that and it downloads those songs to my devices. Then going forward each song I thumbs up gets downloaded. Songs I LOVE I add to my library as well.

That seems to work for me.

Phreaker

There used to be in iTunes Radio. They had things like "iTunes Pop Top 50" and "iTunes Rock Top 50". Basically one for each genre, haven't looked to see if they are still available there though.

I saw that too. They still have stations for those genres but they are curated, not just the top XX tunes for the genre. On the other hand you can just tell Siri "play the top 25 pop songs" and she will, or "play the top songs from July 1990."

I had also set up about 10 stations and I can only see the most recent ones I listened to in the recent list. I have no idea how to, or if I can, get to the other ones I made. They used to have a "your stations" section, but IDK now.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
No reason to be so snarky.

It's just weird Spotify can figure it out but apple can't.

Apple needs to find a way to match this. Most people I know with Spotify depend on features like that to play current music at parties/gatherings.
There used to be in iTunes Radio. They had things like "iTunes Pop Top 50" and "iTunes Rock Top 50". Basically one for each genre, haven't looked to see if they are still available there though.
That is still there.

Also remember Spotify is in its umpteenth iteration. Apple Music is in its first. What I do hope is that Apple Music improvements are not dependent on iOS updates.
"play the top songs from July 1990."
This is the greatest thing ever. I honestly don't even know what to say. You can even do "play the top songs by guns n roses". We are living in the future.

Quasar

That is still there.

Also remember Spotify is in its umpteenth iteration. Apple Music is in its first. What I do hope is that Apple Music improvements are not dependent on iOS updates.

I do wonder if major interface improvements will be held back till the other versions (AppleTV, Android) are done.

I still don't understand how some kindergarten stuff (like clicking on a artist image not taking you to that artists page) happened.

Tobor

That is still there.

This is the greatest thing ever. I honestly don't even know what to say. You can even do "play the top songs by guns n roses". We are living in the future.

This feature alone sells the service. I showed some people at work and blew their minds. It's just so easy.

Quasar

This feature alone sells the service. I showed some people at work and blew their minds. It's just so easy.

Well for me at least it doesn't seem to work. At least not on my iPad. Though not really having used siri before maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I mean saying 'play bohemian rhapsody' just gets siri to display a open music button and when I do press the button it just opens the music app and does nothing.

That is still there.

The only iTunes Top 50 channel that I can seem to find by search or otherwise in iTunes Radio is the Dance Top 50? Where do I find the others?

Well for me at least it doesn't seem to work. At least not on my iPad. Though not really having used siri before maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I mean saying 'play bohemian rhapsody' just gets siri to display a open music button and when I do press the button it just opens the music app and does nothing.

Hmm, maybe you don't have Siri enabled or the service was slow? Just did that right now. Bohemian Rhapsody started playing. Mind blown. Even tried top songs of Metallica and pleasantly surprised they played All Nightmare Long instead of Enter Sandman.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The only iTunes Top 50 channel that I can seem to find by search or otherwise in iTunes Radio is the Dance Top 50? Where do I find the others?
Yeah I see the others are not showing up on search. Here's Pop Top 50

https://itunes.apple.com/us/station/itunes-weekly-top-50-pop/idra.691049516

Google iTunes Weekly Top 50 [genre] and for now at least the urls still come back.

Oh for those wondering why some songs show up grayed out when browsing playlists.. I am willing to bet that MOST of the playlists are from the old playlists that used to exist on the side of music searches on the store (where you used to be able to Buy All). Then you have songs that aren't licensed for streaming. So I added Bangles Greatest Hits, and Manic Monday is grayed out. Same thing on playlists. If you care, you can click on the song and say "View in store" and if you buy it, it seamlessly integrates with the rest of the album or playlist.

Omg this is one of the greatest things I've ever stumbled across.

Listen to Love Under the Covers by Apple Music Rock on Apple Music. https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/love-under-the-covers/idpl.92684b98b7fb4c9f9081e94fdd38c98d

Oh, snap! Just asked Siri to play 60s rock hits, got Sweet Home Alabama.

This seriously one of those "holy shit TECHNOLOGY" moments.

GWX

I'm currently listening to Beats 1 on my iPhone 5s using my bluetooth speakers, and as soon as I exit the Music app, my iPhone gets slowed down to a crawl. The animations get so choppy it's not even funny. The worst thing is that, with the 2GB iPhones coming in 3 months, I don't think they'll fix the Music app's insane memory footprint =( iTunes on the Mac loves to occupies about 800 MB out of my available memory with the 12.2 update as well -.-

Is there no way to hide the iCloud download column in OS X now? Everytime I hide it, it just comes back when I re-open the app.
Edit: nevermind, found it in view -> only offline music

the3ye

Lol what? In order to add Apple Music playlists or songs to my itunes I have to turn iCloud Music Library? Why? I don't want to suffer with uploading my whole catalog to cloud just to get some music or playlists added...

Lol what? In order to add Apple Music playlists or songs to my itunes I have to turn iCloud Music Library? Why? I don't want to suffer with uploading my whole catalog to cloud just to get some music or playlists added...

Yeah, having this issue too. I get what they're trying to do with it if you're fully committed. But as someone on the trial and not sure if I want to subscribe after, it's really a pain in the ass to work around all these things.

centracore

Does anyone know what this is about and/or how to fix it?

Y7FkKpT.png

Suddenly 52 seemingly random songs I added to my music from Apple Music are greyed out in iTunes with the status of waiting.

kaskade

I asked about bitrate over cellular and stuff a bit back and apparently Eddie Cue said that it automatically chooses based off wifi and cellular, no option to choose higher on cellular I guess.

I feel like when I click the beats 1 stream there's like a second where I can hear the lower quality stream. Unless my ears are playing tricks on me.

the3ye

Yeah, having this issue too. I get what they're trying to do with it if you're fully committed. But as someone on the trial and not sure if I want to subscribe after, it's really a pain in the ass to work around all these things.

And now I read they override your own ripped files with DRM protected stuff?
WOW I'm out of here. At least on Mac.

I don't think your music is uploaded unless you do iTunes Match. iCloud Music Library just sets up your local iTunes library to have the cloud music from Apple Music. But I could be wrong, Apple certainly did a terrible job of explaining this stuff to people.

I don't think your music is uploaded unless you do iTunes Match. iCloud Music Library just sets up your local iTunes library to have the cloud music from Apple Music. But I could be wrong, Apple certainly did a terrible job of explaining this stuff to people.

I don't think so. The second I enabled iCloud music library on my Mac it started uploading my music.

I cancelled it but that means you can never get that music on your phone since music syncing gets disabled once iCloud music library is enabled...

Ermac

Actually since iCloud Library is on my default, it started uploading my phone's music the second I signed up for the trial. Which I didn't want to do.

When I turned on iCloud Library on my Mac, it showed all my phone's albums in iCloud.

the3ye

Starts to upload almost immediately after turning it on. Why do they force us do to this?

If I trasnfer my local music from iTunes to iOS with iCloud Library on, will it upload it as well?

Mussah92

Okay.....

I made a smart playlist that basically puts everything that is music into one playlist (Media Kind > IS> Music) and checked the option for live updating. Now there are 900 songs downloading offline onto my ipod. I just hope that whatever music i add in the future automatically starts downloading on my ipod touch.. why isnt there an option to just make everything offline like spotify? oh well...

Ermac

Starts to upload almost immediately after turning it on. Why do they force us do to this?

If I trasnfer my local music from iTunes to iOS with iCloud Library on, will it upload it as well?

I think so. I'm planning on removing all my music from my phone, turning on iCloud Library so it wipes it, then readding my music to my phone with iCloud Library turned off.

Top Bottom