• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Even worse than normal radio?

The bass is way louder, yes. It sounds like they clip the high frequencies or something, too (as Apple Radio always has since it launched), though that may partially just be the bitrate at times.

The audio chip on the iPhone literally doesn't support 24-bit bitrates. It supports up to 192 sample rate (if memory serves), but the bitrate is stuck at 16. So iTunes won't even let you drop 24-bit music on your iPhone. Hopefully if Apple starts to sell lossless music on iTunes that'll change. If you're saying that even 16/44 music gets compressed on the iPhone, I don't see any technical reason why they'd do that.

Last I heard, it was speculated that the iPhone 6 has the hardware to support 24-bit/96kHz, but not the software support.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/26/iphone-6-hd-audio/

Anyone who used Spotify daily for years.. How do you like Apple Music? Are there things it does better and worse?

I like it, but due to software issues, I still give Spotify the edge. While Apple is a first year product right now, I do think it will improve through more updates, but I think they are both in some ways the same. The For You section works exactly like the Discover feature and recommend function of Spotify, but looks more beautiful and has more details. Beats 1 is neat. I haven't really listened to it too exclusively but it has great blocks at a time. Personally i like the other radio station SoundSystem above that. Other than that, unlike others i'm in it for just streaming and nothing more. I'm not going to touch the iCloud library match issues. I have Google for that for all my local files.

Enco

Anyone who used Spotify daily for years.. How do you like Apple Music? Are there things it does better and worse?
- The radio in Apple is better than Spotify. Spotify radio is garbage
- The UI in Spotify is a lot better. Although the latest desktop app for Spotify is horrendous and downgrading is the best option
- There are several songs on Spotify I couldn't find on iTunes
- Playlists in iTunes suck compared to Spotify. 'Liked from radio' and 'starred' are great
- Saving music is more annoying in iTunes

I see no real reason to switch to Apple right now. Siri integration is cool and Spotify are kind of a shitty company but that's not enough to make up for the experience.

holygeesus

Banned
Ignoring the greyed-out songs glitch I had earlier, I am still coming across albums with individual songs that are unavailable, which is unacceptable for me with a streaming service, as it is clearly a ploy, to try and force you into buying the album itself. It is not something I recall happening on Spotify (it may well do, but it was not something I personally stumbled upon) and if it is not some kind of server glitch, it will certainly persuade me to return to Spotify after my trial, and grovel for forgiveness.

HUELEN10

Ignoring the greyed-out songs glitch I had earlier, I am still coming across albums with individual songs that are unavailable, which is unacceptable for me with a streaming service, as it is clearly a ploy, to try and force you into buying the album itself. It is not something I recall happening on Spotify (it may well do, but it was not something I personally stumbled upon) and if it is not some kind of server glitch, it will certainly persuade me to return to Spotify after my trial, and grovel for forgiveness.

Unplayable songs that weren't available for streaming within albums in Spotify happened all the time.

I was there since day 1, it's nothing new with streaming services.

X-Frame

For those of your that had/have iTunes Match before Apple Music came out, did iCloud Music Library mess up your iTunes library?

Basically, is it safe to assume that if iTunes Match had been reliable for me the past year then iCloud Music Library (which uses iTunes Match IIRC) would be no different?

Appleman

For those of your that had/have iTunes Match before Apple Music came out, did iCloud Music Library mess up your iTunes library?

Basically, is it safe to assume that if iTunes Match had been reliable for me the past year then iCloud Music Library (which uses iTunes Match IIRC) would be no different?

Yeah, that's been my experience. No issues

Why is the iOS app so quiet? It's like half the volume of the Spotify app on full. Can't hear shit when I'm out of the house. Even got the EQ set to loudness. Is there no way I can make this louder?

Highlight your entire library on iTunes > Get info > push volume slider to max?

Emarv

- The UI in Spotify is a lot better. Although the latest desktop app for Spotify is horrendous and downgrading is the best option
- Playlists in iTunes suck compared to Spotify. 'Liked from radio' and 'starred' are great

I see no real reason to switch to Apple right now. Siri integration is cool and Spotify are kind of a shitty company but that's not enough to make up for the experience.

I totally agree with all of this. Definitely wish the "Liked from radio"/"starred" were added in Apple Music.

But I still switched from Spotify to Apple Music because the $15 family deal is too good for me, my wife and my siblings.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Does anyone know what happens if I purchase an album that I already have in my collection via Apple Music? I notice when I go to the iTunes store, I can see the song progression on the tracks there too. I would imagine that it strips the DRM, or downloads separate unprotected AAC files like it would normally but thought to ask before I tested it out myself.

This is with the iTunes app, BTW.

It was a quick and easy transition for me. But I will admit that right before I turned on Apple Music I cleared out my iTunes Match library of everything but stuff I knew wouldn't match, so I was only using it as an upload service

HUELEN10

Does anyone know what happens if I purchase an album that I already have in my collection via Apple Music? I notice when I go to the iTunes store, I can see the song progression on the tracks there too. I would imagine that it strips the DRM, or downloads separate unprotected AAC files like it would normally but thought to ask before I tested it out myself.

Check your trash/right click show in finder and tell us!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

It will (sadly) put dupes in your library. You'll have to go in and remove the Apple music version. In iTunes it's pretty easy because you can show the iCloud Status column. On a device it's a little harder. You have to tap the hamburger (I guess that's what we're calling it) and if Remove From My Music shows up its the AM version, otherwise it's your purchased copy.

Majora

My only guess is you might have this on by mistake, and Apple Music obeys this whereas Spotify bypassed the setting..

FmuasyV.png

App does not pump out lower audio by default

I definitely had that switched off. Turns out it's because I had sound check on. I thought that that would ensure there were no massive jumps in volume from one track to the next but all it seems to do is make the track I'm currently listening to way too quiet.

holygeesus

Banned
Unplayable songs that weren't available for streaming within albums in Spotify happened all the time.

I was there since day 1, it's nothing new with streaming services.

Yes I guess it will just be a case of 'swings & roundabouts' - the positives of AM still make it worth persevering with.

Chittagong

Gold Member

This is an excellent assessment, reflects my views as a long time Spotify user. Only thing I'd add is that it's super nice that you can add your old MP3s to your cloud account when they are not available for streaming normally. I whipped out my Time Capsule and now can stream Beatles, Towa Tei and Hird anywhere. I think they even stream their own version.

It's pretty surprising how many tracks are missing from Apple Music compared to Spotify. For example, Charles Bradley's Victim of Love album is missing. I need my 'Dusty Blue' and a glass of scotch to cap off a solid week, so I had to buy it from iTunes Store.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
It will (sadly) put dupes in your library. You'll have to go in and remove the Apple music version. In iTunes it's pretty easy because you can show the iCloud Status column. On a device it's a little harder. You have to tap the hamburger (I guess that's what we're calling it) and if Remove From My Music shows up its the AM version, otherwise it's your purchased copy.
That kind of sucks. I hope they find a way to reconcile this in future updates.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I definitely had that switched off. Turns out it's because I had sound check on. I thought that that would ensure there were no massive jumps in volume from one track to the next but all it seems to do is make the track I'm currently listening to way too quiet.
Sound check acts as a volume limiter by default. I mean it sort of has to to balance the average levels between typical recordings. So it will do what you wanted it to, but to do that it has to lower the main volume a little first.

My sound check usage is basically on by default, but then if I am specifically listening to a whole album I'll turn it off. Despite a decade of begging Apple to allow us to turn on sound check at the album level, sadly it still only works at the song level.

Stat!

Any reason my smart playlist that I "Love" on my Mac doesn't sync with my iPhone and stuff I love on my iPhone doesn't sync in my smart playlist with my mac?

One thing I think the service needs to add is a "dislike". I think the recommendations could be much more fine-tuned if we were telling the service not only what we like, but what we don't like as well.

I do not get the interface.. I desperately want to get used to it so I can switch from Shopify. But it just doesn't work for me.

Why is there that ugly loading screen whenever I want to view an artists' profile? It shouldn't take me 3 seconds on a fast Macbook Pro with a fast connection. Why do artist profile pages look so bad? No default profile image, an ugly Follow button.. it looks nasty. Big artists' like U2 have styled profile pages that look great, but what about everyone else?

When I'm viewing an album, in Spotify I would be able to easily drag songs to a playlist.
In Apple Music I have the option of adding songs to a playlist, but only to a playlist that already exists, it won't let me create a new playlist on the spot.

I just can't wrap my head around how they thought this was a good desktop experience.

I do not get the interface.. I desperately want to get used to it so I can switch from Shopify. But it just doesn't work for me.

Why is there that ugly loading screen whenever I want to view an artists' profile? It shouldn't take me 3 seconds on a fast Macbook Pro with a fast connection. Why do artist profile pages look so bad? No default profile image, an ugly Follow button.. it looks nasty. Big artists' like U2 have styled profile pages that look great, but what about everyone else?

When I'm viewing an album, in Spotify I would be able to easily drag songs to a playlist.
In Apple Music I have the option of adding songs to a playlist, but only to a playlist that already exists, it won't let me create a new playlist on the spot.

I just can't wrap my head around how they thought this was a good desktop experience.

The desktop interface is a shoe in , the focus was mobile devices

GWX

The mobile experience is okay (I'd like it way more if it didn't kill my iPhone 5s' performance, but that's a different point), but the desktop experience is really weak, usability wise. I really I wish I could go to an artist page from an album in my library, per example: we do have iTunes Store links by clicking the three dots, but no Apple Music links. Truly undercooked :( Well, at least the scrolling is finally smooth, so that's that I guess.

One thing I think the service needs to add is a "dislike". I think the recommendations could be much more fine-tuned if we were telling the service not only what we like, but what we don't like as well.

Individual yes but as the radio and music is a broad with varying tastes it only works for pandora which is individual focused

Majora

You can dislike recommendations. Hold down on a recommendation in For You and it will you will see a 'I didn't like this suggestion' option at the bottom . When listening to radio, press the star to say more or less like this.

I think the star options only count towards individual radio stations though, not across other stations or the service as a whole.

tmdorsey

I gotdamn hate the iCloud Music library functionality right now. Went through the process of enabling it on my MacBook where my library is stored. Waited till it supposedly analyzed all my music. Sync'd my phone with the library and realized that my smart playlists on my phone were missing a ton a songs. Looked at the metadata on files and some data is missing on a lot of the files.

Freaking terrible. The thought that I may have to go back and fix all these files manually the is really pissing me off right now.

rezuth

Just hold over it and the menu will pop up and you can pick "Dont recommend this anymore" or something like that.

RoKKeR

Playing around with it all now on the iOS app.... this is good stuff. The fact that I can keep my old library, MP3 downloads, concert rips, etc. and have that in the same place as new music is awesome.

And the family plan seems like too good of a deal.

They should have added a "Beta" tag to Apple Music, because it does feel like they pushed out an early version to the public. This is early days and Trent Reznor already said they're listening closely to feedback. I think they'll at least get it to a tolerable state. I'm not sure if anything can make iTunes great at this point without tearing it all down and starting from scratch. But I'd recommend anyone who has problems with iTunes/AM to give feedback ("Provide iTunes Feedback" under the iTunes menu).

I really I wish I could go to an artist page from an album in my library, per example: we do have iTunes Store links by clicking the three dots, but no Apple Music links..

Hopefully they'll just combine the iTunes Store and AM artist profile pages into one; I have no idea why they're two, unless they literally just grabbed the Beats Music source code and dumped it into iTunes as a separate thing.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!

So is it true that Beats Radio can be accessed without an Apple Music subscription? That is pretty cool.

holygeesus

Banned
OK, so I am beginning to sound like a stuck record (remember those?) but the missing song issue, continues to blow my mind.

Spot the major flaw in this image:

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-04%20at%2020.31.23_zpsbygm73wc.png

It's a bleeding Apple curator playlist with a track they don't carry! This has to be a glitch rather than a licensing issue surely?

OK, so I am beginning to sound like a stuck record (remember those?) but the missing song issue, continues to blow my mind.

It's a bleeding Apple curator playlist with a track they don't carry! This has to be a glitch rather than a licensing issue surely?

Daydream Nation isn't on Apple Music for some reason. It's on Spotify.

Majora

Licensing differs from country to country, but these playlists can be seen in over 100 different countries. They can't account for every country having different access to different tracks when making the playlists.

Search for J-Pop and you'll find a load of J-Pop playlists but like 98% of the tracks in the playlists are greyed out for me (UK here). Presumably people in Japan can see everything fine.

Also, tracks can often go away for a few weeks and then come back due to rights expiring and being renewed etc.

This happens all the time in Spotify playlists too. Years of using Spotify have blinded me to it but I see how it can be confusing if you're new to streaming services.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
This past week has been very interesting. Apple Music has potential but the UI is terrible, discovery is mediocre and the app is super glitchy.

At this moment in time I'd rank the streaming services like this:

1. Google Play Music
2. Spotify
3. Apple Music
4. Rdio

Then why would Apple create an Apple Music playlist for a song they don't carry? They aren't dynamically created so you would have thought the person responsible for it would have checked.
See above - it might be licensed in other countries or may have been taken off for whatever reason.

Majora

I think the UI needs quite a bit of work and is overly cluttered compared to Spotify, but in terms of discovery, recommendations and curation this absolutely smashes Spotify for me.

Spotify has a shitload of playlists, but they've always felt randomly generated to me. It doesn't feel like anyone who cares about music has sat down and put them together by hand with care. In the pop category especially, you can broadly put the playlists in two categories - a big list of current chart hits and a big list of top 3 hits from the past 15-20 years.

For You gives you recommendations for all kinds of interesting things. Producer playlists, deep cut playlists, intros to particular bands, B-Side playlists, collaboration playlists for particular artists. Remix playlists. They don't just feature the big hits either. I've been recommended playlists that have album tracks from albums that didn't even chart top 50 in the UK. That's where you feel the difference and instantly know it has a human touch behind it, and someone who wants you to hear great songs in a particular genre even if it was on a flop album no-one ever bought. As a UKer it's also great that it feels like UK specific playlists have been curated. The Spotify playlists are very US centric by comparison.

Spotify has absolutely nothing to match the type of playlists I listed above. It's all well known hits in generic categories - house party, BBQ party, top 00s hits! etc. I feel like I've already heard and liked more new tracks with this than I have in several years of using Spotify.

Majora

Can you stream that album in the US? If not, I question why anyone would create a playlist that their biggest market can't play.

Because the world doesn't revolve around the U.S, there are over 100 other countries with access, and the curators aren't specifically American? I know a lot of the pop curation was done in the UK for instance.

I was recommended a French dance playlist and the final song is greyed out so I can't listen to it. It's just the nature of the beast with these services.

I would just say that they are definitely still adding stuff though. I searched for a band on Tuesday who I had been listening to for ages on Spotify and was really surprised that Apple Music had no albums at all. One of them showed up in my recommendations today and now their whole catalogue is up.

Top Bottom