• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

How to "dislike" a song on iTunes?

If this is related to Apple Music, and trying to get good "For You" recommendations, Apple registers quick skips as a kind of dislike, not ideal but it will be used as part of the algorithm to present you with music you like. I guess you could one star a song too.

From the T&C

zl71XOM.png

If Apple Music changes your album art, and you go back and change it then will Apple Music change the art back again?

Also, iOS users, when listening to your music on your iOS device have you had the music just randomly stop playing? And you just have to press play again to start it?

~ No, Apple Music won't change it back when you change it from iTunes. It appears that iTunes is the sort of 'Master List' that the iOS devices sync from.

~Yes, Yes.

Ambitious

If Apple Music changes your album art, and you go back and change it then will Apple Music change the art back again?

Also, iOS users, when listening to your music on your iOS device have you had the music just randomly stop playing? And you just have to press play again to start it?

This was my experience with iTunes Match. Once it's got album art it's hard to manually change it.

This was my experience as well. At some point, iTunes Match would always revert it. Sometimes after a minute, sometimes after an hour, sometimes after a week.

Regarding the possibility of an iTunes unbundling - I think the only way to do it, since iTunes keeps getting updated and iterated upon, would be to secretly build the new system in parallel, kinda like how OS X Intel was secretly being developed/compiled for years before the Intel switch was revealed.

Hip Hop

LMAO

Jay-Z actually removed Reasonable Doubt from Apple Music. I remember listening to it the first day, and now it's gone.

No surprise I guess, he did the same thing to Spotify.

X-Frame

How do I clear or edit the Recently Played radio stations?

So many I accidentally clicked and my OCD hates them there but I see no way to remove them, haha.

Kammie

The amount of playcounts I have lost (all stuff I had purchased from iTunes at some point) is pretty ridiculous. This is because I did my first sync from a computer where the collection wasn't residing, so all the stuff from the cloud downloaded as a blank slate and later ended up overwriting the counts on my main PC, instead of adding to it.

The team that handled all this stuff is pretty incompetent.

Red

This happens to me on Spotify all the time, but I haven't seen it happen on Apple Music. What I have run into is an occasional "cannot stream content" error for no apparent reason, fixed by restarting the phone.

Kibbles

Do you need iOS 8.4 to get the radio and apple music? I can't find it anywhere but don't want to upgrade cause I'm jail broken.

Edit: oh there is a 8.4 jailbreak already.

TimFL

This literally happens every single time I listen to music while driving (bluetooth connection). I can't pinpoint why or when it happens but it only happens once. Can't be connection issues as every song is available locally on my phone (I don't stream over cellular + got enough storage for all songs).

Pretty annoying to try to get my phone out of my pocket to press play (as the play button on my steering wheel does not work when the phone pauses stuff on its own).

Any OSX users having issues getting the "For You" section to load in iTunes? Works fine on my iPhone and Windows 10 desktop, but for whatever reason not on my 2012 MBA running Yosemite.

number11

It was long and annoying.. but I finally got my iTunes library to work with iCloud music without messing with my metadata. There's probably an easier way to do it, but this is what I did.

1. Make sure you have a back up of your iTunes folder before it got messed up.
2. Turn off iCloud in iTunes / Quit iTunes
3. Delete your iTunes folder then restore it from the back up.
4. Delete any local music on your iOS devices.
5. Delete all the music that was uploaded on to iCloud.
2. Turn off iCloud Music on iOS
6. Restart iTunes and let it match/upload all your music again.

Future

Music stops playing all the time when listening to beats radio. Sometimes I'd get a message that I need to be on wifi or change some setting, even though I was on why wifi already. I assumed maybe my wifi dropped for a split second... But now I wonder if it's just a bug with the music player. iPhone 6 here :/

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone have any links for iTunes 12.1?

12.2 is just so goddamn slow and unresponsive. it's crashing like every 5 minutes or my mouse clicks will take a full 5 minutes to registers. I can't even sync my phone without the program locking up. This is absolutely ridiculous.

tmdorsey

It was long and annoying.. but I finally got my iTunes library to work with iCloud music without messing with my metadata. There's probably an easier way to do it, but this is what I did.

1. Make sure you have a back up of your iTunes folder before it got messed up.
2. Turn off iCloud in iTunes
3. Delete your iTunes folder then restore it from the back up.
4. Delete any local music on your iOS devices.
5. Delete all the music that was uploaded on to iCloud.
2. Turn off iCloud Music on iOS
6. Restart iTunes and let it match/upload all your music again.

How do you delete all the music that was uploaded to iCloud?

Ke0

The service is pretty cool and seamless for the most part. Having music from my laptop appear on my phone for instant listening is amazing.

One huge question...I have a few songs on my phone that are not on iCloud, how would I go about pushing those up?

How do I download an album from the iTunes store that I already bought? When I go to my downloads in the iTunes store, it just says "purchased", I don't see that cloud icon to download it again

the3ye

Anyone have any links for iTunes 12.1?

12.2 is just so goddamn slow and unresponsive. it's crashing like every 5 minutes or my mouse clicks will take a full 5 minutes to registers. I can't even sync my phone without the program locking up. This is absolutely ridiculous.
https://ipsw.me/iTunes

My Music app (iPad mini R) crashes from time to time while browsing those personalized artists pages. When I click on album or playlist I get nothing, only spinning wheel in status bar, then crash. It happens most the time when I'm playing radio or stuff from Apple Music.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
How do I download an album from the iTunes store that I already bought? When I go to my downloads in the iTunes store, it just says "purchased", I don't see that cloud icon to download it again
Two ways.

The easier way (with iCloud Music Library turned on): find the album/songs in My Music and tap on ... Then Make Available Offline

Without iCloud Music Library turned on: go to Purchased in the store (first go to More at the bottom right) from there drill down until you find it and download.

Do NOT try to initiate anything from the store. Only from Purchased. The album I just checked to give you these instructions is in the store and shows purchased, but the individual tracks show $1.29. I have no doubt if I tapped on them it would charge me $1.29. The point is that the "links" in the store can break based on versions, rereleases, different SKUS, etc and are not to be trusted on past purchases. The Purchased area on the store is the only place guaranteed to not accidentally charge your account.

Two ways.

The easier way (with iCloud Music Library turned on): find the album/songs in My Music and tap on ... Then Make Available Offline

Without iCloud Music Library turned on: go to Purchased in the store (first go to More at the bottom right) from there drill down until you find it and download.

Do NOT try to initiate anything from the store. Only from Purchased. The album I just checked to give you these instructions is in the store and shows purchased, but the individual tracks show $1.29. I have no doubt if I tapped on them it would charge me $1.29. The point is that the "links" in the store can break and are not to be trusted on purchases. The Purchased area on the store is the only place guaranteed to not accidentally charge your account.

The purchased album for some reason isn't appearing under "my purchases" but the album still shows as purchased when I search it

Quasar

Have to admit I'm starting to question the for you tab.

No matter how much music I play and 'love' thats j-pop, nothing ever surfaces in for you. Meanwhile in the connect tab because I follow 'apple music j-pop' I'm seeing a new j-pop playlist almost every day that they post to connect.

igor

You know what, if Apple doesn't fix the Apple Music and its new ridiculous syncing "policy"I am done with iOS. For me it was the best ecosystem to have my muic on and definitely important part of the "listening experience" - Apple knows/knew how to do the justice to all the album covers and it's a nice "wallet" to put all my tracks into. I love having my music library wherever I go so for that reason I got a 64gb iPod touch last year.

I tried to sync my ipod, disabling iCloud on my device and all and guess what - it wiped all 55 gb of music i had stored on the device. The computer I have all of my music library on is currently being fixed so I am for the time being screwed. Its okay if it happened accidentally, but the thing is, Apple seemingly made the syncing purposefully confuisng, and did not explain in advance that enabling Apple Music basically makes your iOS device basically a hostage to Apple and its whims.

The second I disabled Apple Music all of my artwork covers were gone again (after I installed the 8.4 I thought it was bug that miraculously got fixed by signing into the service) and the only ones that had the artwork were the tracks I had purchased on Apple iTunes. Somehow all the tracks that are not even available on iTunes lost their artwork, again.

You know, it's not like it's buggy, Apple enforced new Music app on its users and cheekily restricted one of the most basic and perhaps one of the most important features on any iOS device. It didn't explain that from now on your own music library isnt yours anymore, at least not on their software.

It's just way too invasive - I thought we are getting the regular, although enhanced Music app (yay, finally I can queue music!) AND apple's own spotify integrated into one seamless experience. What we got instead is Apple's own spotify service with an added possibility to store songs you previously bought on iTunes.

If they don't change this it will probably my last iOS device, sadly - and I am a bit of an Apple's fanboy.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
https://ipsw.me/iTunes

My Music app (iPad mini R) crashes from time to time while browsing those personalized artists pages. When I click on album or playlist I get nothing, only spinning wheel in status bar, then crash. It happens most the time when I'm playing radio or stuff from Apple Music.

thanks for this dude.

I actually ended up clearning out 12.2, redownloading it and doing a fresh install without using my prior library ITL file. That solved a lot of the slow down I was getting and right now I'm just going through all the playlists I created to make sure everything is still intact (I'm getting strange messages that not all the playlists are still together, that content is missing, so I'm looking into that right now).

anyone have any idea how to get rid of purchased icons from album view? I'll go into an album and if I had purchased a single from that album (most likely before release) it shows up as apart of the album. I know its not going into the playlist when I drag that album over, but it's more of an aesthetic look to the presentation. I can't figure out how to get rid of them though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It didn't explain that from now on your own music library isnt yours anymore, at least not on their software.

It's just way too invasive - I thought we are getting the regular, although enhanced Music app (yay, finally I can queue music!) AND apple's own spotify integrated into one seamless experience. What we got instead is Apple's own spotify service with an added possibility to store songs you previously bought on iTunes.
This is almost entirely just flat out not the case... HOWEVER, the caveat to that is the same as it has always been: without iTunes, your ability to actually manage your music on your device is minimal to nonexistent.

I noticed you said "my PC is currently being fixed" and my suggestion to you is wait until it is fixed.

The problem ultimately is that Apple's Match service (and the Music equivalent) is a fucking pain to set up. ONCE setup though, fortunately it is almost entirely "set it and forget it". Your library is still intact (provided you didn't wipe it from your PC or such) and if, once your PC is back, a attempt at setting it up again still isn't as successful as you'd like, you can give it another shot. Basically Match is, try, correct, retry, correct, retry, correct, until you have it. I am NOT defending it.. It's a fucking pain, but in the end when you get it working it is unquestionably way more versatile than google music. On top of that, with your desktop iTunes back you then have full control again of your library (including music added to it through Apple Music).

I would almost argue that Apple Music is the ONLY service out there for true music enthusiasts/completists. It's the only one that gives you the combined full control over metadata of tracks, albums, combines your purchased/owned library with the streamed library, provides curation based on both your streamed selections as well as owned selections, etc.

Anywho.. Just wait til you get iTunes back. For someone interested in the management features that help managing a 15,000+ library well beyond any other service, you need iTunes which frankly sounds like a big part of the problem you're currently experiencing. As for the Match problems... Ugh... It took me around 3-4 days to get my ~10K library into Match 3 years ago. Was it frustrating? Like you wouldn't fucking believe. Have I had a problem with it even one single day since then? Nope. The upside to going through the Match hassle three years ago even transferred over to Music, as Apple seemingly just transfers users' existing Match libraries over to Music seamlessly and flawlessly. So that's my attempt at a silver lining. It is worth the horrible setup. Thankfully you only have to do it once, after which it actually works 100% as advertised.

Oh the other silver lining I alluded to earlier. If your initial Match from your PC doesn't work well enough, it actually does nothing to your library. Most people will back up their libraries first. If you care about your play counts and ratings you should definitely do this. If the upload fails, wipe everything out, correct what failed (if it's a matching issue) then restore your library and go again. If you don't care about play counts (don't remember if ratings are in the ID3 or not) you don't even need to do that. Just delete the song from iTunes/iCloud, choose "Leave original on disk", then reimport the song.

Based on everything you've stated, I really don't feel there's a comparable service to what you want. I certainly never found Spotify anywhere near it in terms of combining libraries, Google is not as robust as Match, and having two services to access my "entire" library always seemed awful. Apple Music is the only service out there to meet that need. Ugh... But yeah, get your stuff up there and then it runs near flawless.

edit - so now I actually have a user question. A song is playing... You can pull it up in now playing.. Please tell me there's a quick shortcut to get to the whole album from here... Right...? Right!?! Because I can find it.

igor

edit - so now I actually have a user question. A song is playing... You can pull it up in now playing.. Please tell me there's a quick shortcut to get to the whole album from here... Right...? Right!?! Because I can find it.

Press the three dots on the bar, then on the pop up list press the uppermost button with the name of the song and the album cover (just above "Start Station") that should bring you over to the album.

You are right that there's no comparable service for me, and that pisses me off - because Apple designed the Apple Music with maximising profits in mind, not enhancing user experience.

Seems like I need to wait for my computer to set it up, but to me, it may sound silly... I don't really get the idea of iTunes Match - I have a macbook with all my music and I have a portable device that is offline almost most of the time, that i can put myu library onto. Apple Music would be the spotify that i can integrate with my existing library. I just don't see the need to have the entire library in the cloud. And what happens when I sign out from the service? Apple didn't bother explaining this in the slightest.

Are playlists specific to device? Any reason I'm not seeing playlists I added to My Music on my phone on my iPad?

edit: Didn't have iCloud Music Library enabled. Got it.

Ok so now when I play top songs, it only plays the song I clicked on and doesnt go through the rest of the list. WTF?

How can I play Top Songs as a playlist?

Also, how do I get the songs I saved offline on desktop iTunes to show up on my Music app? I have iCloud enabled. Do I have to hook the phone up to my computer?

Red

This literally happens every single time I listen to music while driving (bluetooth connection). I can't pinpoint why or when it happens but it only happens once. Can't be connection issues as every song is available locally on my phone (I don't stream over cellular + got enough storage for all songs).

Pretty annoying to try to get my phone out of my pocket to press play (as the play button on my steering wheel does not work when the phone pauses stuff on its own).
This happens in my wife's car but the steering wheel button starts it up again.

Is scrobbling possible with Apple Music?

holygeesus

Banned
Press the three dots on the bar, then on the pop up list press the uppermost button with the name of the song and the album cover (just above "Start Station") that should bring you over to the album.

This doesn't work from radio unfortunately, which really could do with fixing.

sdornan

After having all my music matched up years ago and now adding a ton of music from Apple Music to my library to complement, I could never go back to a non-cloud library. It's comforting to know that my library is retrievable even if my computer or phone shits the bed tomorrow. And I have no need to buy a higher-capacity iPhone than the one I have since I can either stream or download what I want to listen to and delete it off the device later when it's time to free up space.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
After having all my music matched up years ago and now adding a ton of music from Apple Music to my library to complement, I could never go back to a non-cloud library. It's comforting to know that my library is retrievable even if my computer or phone shits the bed tomorrow. And I have no need to buy a higher-capacity iPhone than the one I have since I can either stream or download what I want to listen to and delete it off the device later when it's time to free up space.

Has anyone tested this to make sure that's true? Spotify continues to use up storage even if you toggle a playlist from offline, which always annoyed me. Haven't tried it with AM myself.

Yeah it just streams the music but it does cache the most recently played music. You can clear it off easily by going to Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage, select the Music app and delete the downloaded music there (you can tap edit and select the artists you want to delete or the top most "All Music" to delete everything)

On that note... I have a 128GB iPhone and now have 90GB free with the streaming. Before I would have 80GB just for locally stored music. I'm just putting albums offline as I listen to them now.

Majora

iTunes is pissing me off with how clever it's trying to be.

On my iPhone, I added pretty much the entire discography for a particular artist. Now due to greatest hits and various other releases, the same song may appear like 5 times across their entire discography. That's fine - I want that. I want each album to be complete.

The music app on my phone let's me do this. I open iTunes on my Mac and it's trying to be smart by not including duplicates across all the albums. So each song only appears once, leaving huge gaps in particular albums (especially in the greatest hits albums, some of which contain only two songs because all the others are in other albums).

Even if I search for that album within Apple Music on iTunes and try to add the album again, or even add the songs individually for that album, it just doesn't let me.

Is there nothing I can do about this? The terrible iTunes implementation is really dragging this whole experience down for me.

Yeah it just streams the music but it does cache the most recently played music. You can clear it off easily by going to Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage, select the Music app and delete the downloaded music there (you can tap edit and select the artists you want to delete or the top most "All Music" to delete everything)

On that note... I have a 128GB iPhone and now have 90GB free with the streaming. Before I would have 80GB just for locally stored music. I'm just putting albums offline as I listen to them now.

What if you want to play it offline? I don't want to stream everything.

Ninja Dom

What if you want to play it offline? I don't want to stream everything.

On my iMac at home streaming is just fine. I'm not going anywhere & wifi connection so it's all good.

But on my iPhone the songs need to be local. I got 4G so streaming shouldn't be a problem but it is. Plus I live in London so I use the Underground meaning no service while travelling underground.

Top Bottom