• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Filled my playlists back up. Songs vanish 20 minutes later.

Gonna go back to spotify at this point. Don't have the patience. I really wanted to like this.

I just got an iPod Shuffle today to use while running, just so I don't have my phone in my pocket swinging around. Sure enough, Apple Music doesn't work with the Shuffle. Oh, well. I have enough stuff that will work on it, but am a bit disappointed.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just got an iPod Shuffle today to use while running, just so I don't have my phone in my pocket swinging around. Sure enough, Apple Music doesn't work with the Shuffle. Oh, well. I have enough stuff that will work on it, but am a bit disappointed.

Weird! Not even tracks you save locally and sync?
That seems lame. You can transfer files to the watch, right?

That sucks, the iPod shuffle is really neat.

Garou

It's technically impossible I think. How would a shuffle know whether you are still a member? People could fill their shuffles with music, then cancel their membership, then what? Shuffle has no internet connectivity and no advanced timer mechanisms.

Quasar

Not even close. Returned results are what they are, but actual recognition on Siri is second to none.

Well thats totally not my experience. Siri is at the point of uselessness given how much I have to repeat commands multiple times whilst google gets what I say with a 90% or better accuracy.

Half the time it doesn't even pick up that I'm saying anything rather than getting what I say wrong.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It's technically impossible I think. How would a shuffle know whether you are still a member? People could fill their shuffles with music, then cancel their membership, then what? Shuffle has no internet connectivity and no advanced timer mechanisms.

If you're willing to never sync your device ever again for 2gigs of expired licenses then more power to you.

Vyer

shit, I just now realized you can swipe up/down on the Now Playing screen. I've been tapping to maximize and hitting the top left arrow to minimize

Garou

If you're willing to never sync your device ever again for 2gigs of expired licenses then more power to you.

I did not say that I'm doing this, but in the world of DRM it's a loophole that content-creators usually want to have closed.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I did not say that I'm doing this, but in the world of DRM it's a loophole that content-creators usually want to have closed.

Oh, I know. And I was basically saying its a loophole that is more trouble than its worth.

Its a shame though, I hope they keep the shuffle around.. though its just far too limited for todays world.

I haven't tested it but I'm assuming you could do exactly that with an apple watch. If you synced a playlist to it and then never connected it again you could have that music in perpetuity.

Seems it won't work on iPod classic either, which means my wife probably won't wanna go for a family subscription. She uses a classic all the time since she doesn't like using her iPhone for music while driving. She does love the click wheel.

Edit: and I am surprised they haven't made a shuffle that is just a pair of headphones and put the controls on the ear pieces. Sony has s headset like that that looks sweet.

Garou

By the way, content creators are stupid sometimes. Capcom had some nice soundtracks on the Japanese Apple Music, today I wanted to stream something from my previously played-list in the music-player, didn't work. Searched for it again: Gone.
Apple should make a rule that the catalog may not shrink for a month or something.

the3ye

By the way, content creators are stupid sometimes. Capcom had some nice soundtracks on the Japanese Apple Music, today I wanted to stream something from my previously played-list in the music-player, didn't work. Searched for it again: Gone.
Apple should make a rule that the catalog may not shrink for a month or something.
Yeah I noticed stuff go missing. One day they are in, another they are out.

Alright, so there's a lot of opinions in this thread, and rightfully so. Like most software launches, it's got some good and bad. But I want to take a moment and ask: what have you discovered from Apple Music so far, either from Beats 1 or another station, or one of the playlists?

So far I've found:

Alessia Cara "Here" (IMO the best single this year so far)
Wolf Alice
Bombay Bicycle Club (I knew of them before, and ex-girlfriend is really into them. Found a song by them I LOVE, "Luna")
Flosstradamus "Rebound (feat. Elkka)"
Galantis "Runaway (U & I)"

Tell me what you've discovered!

scarlet

Alright, so there's a lot of opinions in this thread, and rightfully so. Like most software launches, it's got some good and bad. But I want to take a moment and ask: what have you discovered from Apple Music so far, either from Beats 1 or another station, or one of the playlists?

So far I've found:

Wolf Alice
Bombay Bicycle Club (I knew of them before, and ex-girlfriend is really into them. Found a song by them I LOVE, "Luna")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CTced9CMMk

and love it!

I was LTTP on the Kendrick Lamar album, so the single they play 100x a day turned me on to a great album. The video is stunning also. There was some great stuff on the Q-Tip show that I'm still going through.

Also a shoutout to borghe who has been documenting a ton of great info in this thread.

I'm inching closer to a Match subscription, but the lack of lossless songs in the Store is still a dealbreaker. Seems like a natural thing to do at this point to incentivize people to purchase.

Ninja Dom

Here is a gripe I have on iPhone.

If you're listening to music, say on the way home from work, then you get home and stop the music playing. Then you do a whole bunch of other non-music stuff on your iPhone. Then the next day you want to continue listening from where you left off - you can't. Apple Music goes back to your My Music list.

There used to be a Now Playing button in earlier iOS versions that you could touch, shit, even the iPhone would reload the Music player from the last track and point you were listening.

But now it just show you your My Music list and you have to manually select the album/song that you were listening to last.

Garou

Here is a gripe I have on iPhone.

If you're listening to music, say on the way home from work, then you get home and stop the music playing. Then you do a whole bunch of other non-music stuff on your iPhone. Then the next day you want to continue listening from where you left off - you can't. Apple Music goes back to your My Music list.

There used to be a Now Playing button in earlier iOS versions that you could touch, shit, even the iPhone would reload the Music player from the last track and point you were listening.

But now it just show you your My Music list and you have to manually select the album/song that you were listening to last.

What if you pull up control center and press play?

Ninja Dom

What if you pull up control center and press play?

No good. Just in case you've been watching a YouTube video or a video in the Video app after listening to music. Control Centre Play plays the current bit of media that was playing on your iPhone, regardless of type.

number11

Isn't the 'now playing' button pretty much the bar at the bottom now?

Edit: I had to force quit the app to see what you're saying. Does the app reset after a set period on time without using it?

Ninja Dom

Isn't the 'now playing' button pretty much the bar at the bottom now?

Edit: I had to force quit the app to see what you're saying. Does the app reset after a set period on time without using it?

Yeah the Now Playing bar at the bottom disappears after a certain period of inactivity, it seems.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I just checked having just woken up, and yeah.. It seems the app basically loads fresh after a long period of time. If they had a recently played it might not be the end of the world.

I just checked having just woken up, and yeah.. It seems the app basically loads fresh after a long period of time. If they had a recently played it might not be the end of the world.

How much do you want to bet that this will be mitigated with the 2GB of RAM in the iPhone 6S?

This huge Music app is probably just the beginning.

So far I've found:

Wolf Alice

Wolf Alice
Beach House - Sparks (didn't know they had something new coming)
Foals' new song
Atlas Genius
Spring King
Nine Inch Nails instrumentals
VANT
Discovering what UK grime is
Spectrasoul

Half of these are from listening to Beats 1 randomly, the other half from playlists offered in the For You section

Overall pretty happy with the service. I'm sure the kinks will be worked out hopefully soon and I'll be a subscriber.

borghe

How much do you want to bet that this will be mitigated with the 2GB of RAM in the iPhone 6S?

This huge Music app is probably just the beginning.

basically have already resigned to upgrading just for the 2GB. Fortunately my 128GB 6 should still get me a nice penny (many of them in fact)

So far I've found:

Wolf Alice

I had to think about this.. I mean I discover so much music on a regular basis.. Apple Music makes it easier, but it's hard to distinguish.

One thing I'll put out there is, as I enjoy a lot of indie and alternative music, Apple felt it was fine to give me a playlist of indie covers of pretty famous love songs (mostly pop, some rock). Outside of Landslide by Smashing Pumpkins and Against All Odds by Postal Service, I had never heard a single one of these covers. and they are EXCELLENT. Borderline exceptional. So that is my discovery story.

Listen to Love Under the Covers on @AppleMusic.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/love-under-the-covers/idpl.92684b98b7fb4c9f9081e94fdd38c98d

SuperPac

basically have already resigned to upgrading just for the 2GB. Fortunately my 128GB 6 should still get me a nice penny (many of them in fact)

I find it semi-difficult to believe that even with more RAM Apple won't still let iOS shuffle things in and out of memory. People thinking they're going to be able to have 15 safari tabs that never reload or what-have-you are pretty likely to be brutally disappointed.

holygeesus

Banned
Is there a guide anywhere, for 'fooling' match into matching the correct songs? If two songs are being played in the wrong order, from the same album, do I just swap the meta details of both? If I have to swap the name as well, I don't think my OCD will allow seeing the wrong song name come up when it is being played.

All these problems getting my very first album onto the service! Here's hoping the rest are a little more smooth sailing!

borghe

I find it semi-difficult to believe that even with more RAM Apple won't still let iOS shuffle things in and out of memory. People thinking they're going to be able to have 15 safari tabs that never reload or what-have-you are pretty likely to be brutally disappointed.

"Apple" doesn't prevent anything. An app's sandbox only consumes as much memory as it needs. Now of course Safari now having access to more memory also means Music having access to more memory, and Facebook, and Instagram, and Photos, etc.. BUT, it will still be "better" than it is now. How much so remains to be seen.

Is there a guide anywhere, for 'fooling' match into matching the correct songs? If two songs are being played in the wrong order, from the same album, do I just swap the meta details of both? If I have to swap the name as well, I don't think my OCD will allow seeing the wrong song name come up when it is being played.

All these problems getting my very first album onto the service! Here's hoping the rest are a little more smooth sailing!
Are the songs matching correctly, just in the wrong order? If it's just the wrong order, just swap the track numbers. If the meta is completely wrong (wrong name, track number, etc).. man... that sucks. What is the source of the album? An actual CD?

tl;dr no... I have never been able "fool" match. It seems to be a combination of name, album, track listing, and runtime.. possibly more. When possible, I've just "corrected" the album (an easy way if from CD is to just rip it again in itunes if it wasn't originally ripped in itunes). Sometimes I've just lived with the upload. In that case, just give the songs/album completely bogus metadata, then correct it once it's in Uploaded status.

holygeesus

Banned
Are the songs matching correctly, just in the wrong order? If it's just the wrong order, just swap the track numbers. If the meta is completely wrong (wrong name, track number, etc).. man... that sucks. What is the source of the album? An actual CD?

tl;dr no... I have never been able "fool" match. It seems to be a combination of name, album, track listing, and runtime.. possibly more. When possible, I've just "corrected" the album (an easy way if from CD is to just rip it again in itunes if it wasn't originally ripped in itunes). Sometimes I've just lived with the upload. In that case, just give the songs/album completely bogus metadata, then correct it once it's in Uploaded status.

Hi,

Yes, it's me, still trying to get my own copy of The Moon & Antarctica on there! lol

It's actually worse than I thought. If I click on track 1 it plays a live version of that track, from a completely different album on iTunes. The correct track 1 is actually track 16 here. Track 10 is wrong again (from the same album as the incorrect track 1, and the correct version is not here anywhere. Same with track 11, 12.

You can see from the grab that it is putting the incorrect art-work in the 'now playing' window.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-07%20at%2016.35.48_zpsyeuumd0k.png

I think I am going to be SOL when it comes to uploading this, not exactly rare, album. I am naming the track name, and all the meta data, EXACTLY, as it is named on the Apple store, so I don't see really what else I can do, although I'm convinced that the correct versions of these tracks, exists on Apple's servers somewhere, as they sell the album on the US store.

In a word - bugger.

clip

I don't know what I did, but iTunes won't play any of the music I've added to 'My Music' from Apple Music.

No errors, no messages, nothing.

What did I break?

Future

So if you add a song from beats radio to my music, and it's the clean version. Anyway to change easily to explicit besides searching and re adding?

borghe

UK. The service is pointless to me, if I can't stream music when on the go. They play fine locally, it's when they are playing from the cloud.

Oh don't get me wrong. I agree completely. Match was a pain to setup, and that was with a US account/store.

You said you had other albums... Basically my Match experience is this.. If you don't care about ratings and play counts, upload/match everything. Go through what worked and what didn't. What worked, great. What didn't, delete it from iTunes. you should get a notification that it is being deleted from iCloud, and also be asked if you want to leave it on disk. Say yes to leaving it on disk. at that point, hopefully there is something obvious that sticks out that you can fix. I see we've been talking about this for a day... my suggestion is to move on to the next album(s). Just upload/match everything, and work on what else doesn't work. Obviously not a great answer.. but my thought is this.. If you have say 100 albums and all but 3 upload, you're more inclined to figure out how to manage those three and you'll be generally fine with it. If you try to upload 2-3 albums that aren't working, and you spend 3 days and get nowhere, you are going to just piss yourself off.

Do everything in bulk/batch, see how much of it works, and then decide on the value/worth of getting the messed up stuff working. I certainly understand you are frustrated. But if the majority of your collection is out there waiting to be easily matched (if), then take that easy win right now and work on the problem children after.

tl;dr - Match is a fucking pain. Some shit just won't work.... :\ Move on to easier/working stuff and come back to the pains in the ass later.

borghe

Why would I choose this over Spotify? Is the Apple Music library bigger or not?

yes the library is a bit bigger.

but as pointed out, the comparison isn't who has the bigger library but the features of both.

If all you want is to stream music that you search for, without care about discovery or your own personal library, this really doesn't offer much beyond what Spotify offers. Also if you listen to music a good deal outside of Apple devices.

if any of the following appeals to you, then this would probably be recommended over spotify: curated (made by humans, not algorithms) playlists based on your tastes, integration of your streaming music with your own personal music collection, spotlights to artists and genres put together by notable music industry people/magazines, etc

basically if you listen to a lot of music not on apple devices, it comes down to how much you want curation. If you mainly only listen to music on Apple devices, I'd argue that there is no reason to stay with Spotify as Apple Music just offers more features in general.

Probably depends on your music tastes, be weary of this just fucking up your library, album art and tags though, main reason I'm done using it.

This needs to be explained though. It doesn't fuck up YOUR library... when it fucks up, it fucks up bringing your library INTO iCloud Music Library. Your library as it exists on disk on your PC remains the same as it was. As long as you don't go out of your way to delete anything from your PC, a botched music match will only scramble your attempted iCML. It basically (can in some cases) fucks up the copy, not the originals.

The "For you" page has been really helpful with Apple Music, while useless with Spotify. I also listen to Beats1 on and off and have discovered some great songs with it

Spotify and discovering new music has always been terrible

borghe

basically yeah... my daughter was terrified when I told her I'd be signing up for this (she used Spotify free) simply because all of her playlists were on Spotify. But after she was absolutely ecstatic with the For You section. Stated along the lines of "before I'd have to sit on youtube just clicking around for hours to find songs to then add on spotify." Now she just sits at For You a bit every day and finds stuff through there.

The "For you" page has been really helpful with Apple Music, while useless with Spotify. I also listen to Beats1 on and off and have discovered some great songs with it

Apple Music is :

Pandora (You might like this) + Spotify (Stream on Demand) + 24/7 Radio (Discover Music)

Top Bottom