• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Ambitious

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/18/apple-music-adoption-musicwatch-data/

Nearly half of US Apple Music users have stopped using it.

I was just about to post this. Opening paragraph:
A new study by consumer research firm MusicWatch finds that 77% of iOS users in the United States are aware of Apple Music, with 11% currently using the streaming music service. Additionally, among those that signed up for Apple Music's three-month trial, 48% said they are no longer using the service and 61% reported they have turned off the auto-renewal subscription option in iTunes.

Partition

Banned
Any tool that can convert an Apple playlist to Spotify playlist? I'm not sure if I will stay with Apple Music anymore after the trial so it would be nice to have.

itunes festival being rebranded to Apple Music Festival, a free concert series that will bring Pharrell, One Direction, Florence + The Machine, and more to London's Roundhouse. A revamped version of the previous iTunes Festival, the 2015 version will see a scaled-down lineup with ten dates from September 19–28, down from the usual 30 nights extending throughout the month.

“The Apple Music Festival is a greatest hits set of ten unbelievable nights featuring some of the best performers on the planet appearing live and interacting directly with their fans on Connect and Beats 1.”

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/18/apple-music-festival-london/

Ashhong

Did iOS 8.4.1 fix a bunch of stuff with Apple Music? My friend's music previously was all messed up, specifically the cover art, and now after updating we sat and watched his cover art update to the correct ones. I'm on iOS9 beta and wish I had that fix.

Did iOS 8.4.1 fix a bunch of stuff with Apple Music? My friend's music previously was all messed up, specifically the cover art, and now after updating we sat and watched his cover art update to the correct ones. I'm on iOS9 beta and wish I had that fix.

That was the point of 8.4.1, yah.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is there any way to not show albums from playlists in the album view? I like downloading playlists from Apple Music, but then my Album list gets cluttered with tons of "albums" that only have one or two tracks in them. Any way to hide these? Kind of annoying

KtSlime

I've just noticed that I had been charged for my Apple Music subscription. Has this happened to anyone else? If it makes any difference, my account doesn't have a credit card attached to it.

ElyrionX

I just updated. My album art is still fucked. Smh.

Riptwo

Why are there so many eagle noises on Beats1? It's irritating.
For the first couple of weeks, all of the DJs were constantly playing police siren noises. It definitely made driving while listening a bit nervewracking.

There were a bunch of complaints about the sirens for that reason, and I recall a few DJs talking about the backlash on air and then playing eagle noises instead. I'll take the eagle noises over the sirens any day!

Have they fixed having different versions of songs from your local iTunes library and replacing them with their library? Or vice versa?

It looks like Coasts took their songs Oceans and Wallow off Apple Music. I can still play those songs on my iPhone because I made them offline there, but none of my other devices are able to play those songs anymore. Did Coasts just decide to take the songs off? That's pretty sad. I liked Oceans and Wallow quite a bit.

rrs

I've used it for a week or so like spotify and it seems not as integrated within the "my music" portion as spotify was. Curated playlists and radio stations seem cool, but not really my thing

skybald

App gives me ransoms crashes.

Today it hung up on an artists album page.

Just now, the music stopped playing when I switched cellular back on. I have Apple music set so it doesn't use my data plan.

Two hang ups in one day. Not that the spotify app was much better.

8.4.1. iPhone 6

iKhayal18

I have been having problems with Apple Music and the app for the last four or five days. Sometimes music just won't play and the app is sometimes the app starts having random crashes until I restart my iPhone. After a restart, everything starts working again, but just for a few songs... I don't know if this is something general, but last week it was working perfectly... :S

dream

I have been having problems with Apple Music and the app for the last four or five days. Sometimes music just won't play and the app is sometimes the app starts having random crashes until I restart my iPhone. After a restart, everything starts working again, but just for a few songs... I don't know if this is something general, but last week it was working perfectly... :S

I've been having the same problem, and I think it has something to do with Apple's backend. The next time it happens to you, can you see if you can sign onto Game Center? Or go into the App Store and tell me if your screen looks like this?:

Z8VJlUg.png

iKhayal18

I've been having the same problem, and I think it has something to do with Apple's backend. The next time it happens to you, can you see if you can sign onto Game Center? Or go into the App Store and tell me if your screen looks like this?:

I'll try this afternoon when I get home ;) What I can say is that when I am at work, it works perfectly on iTunes... But then when I get home or when I'm out side, it doesn't work not only in the iPhone that I'm currently use (6+), but also in my old iPhone 5. When one of them doesn't work, the either doesn't work either.

I'll try to do what you say and I'll tell you tonight. I have been looking around on Reddit and Apple Discussion Forums and it seems that we are not the only ones experiencing these problems...

iKhayal18

Here:

ctwlF6th.png

Also, when these issues start happening, Radio tab won't load:

2Ganosoh.png

And sometimes it would ask me if I want to subscribe even though I am already subscribed to the service, once I click on "Subscribe" it's stuck there for ever:

wjHm5uqh.png

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow, iTunes Match uploading seems to have improves a lot. I needed some RH Bonnaroo 2006 in my life, so I hit the "open" button on those files on my Mac, they automatically imported into iTunes and started uploading. They were on my phone ready to within about half an hour. With a shitty Australian upload speed, that isn't half bad.

dream

Here:

ctwlF6th.png

Also, when these issues start happening, Radio tab won't load:

2Ganosoh.png

And sometimes it would ask me if I want to subscribe even though I am already subscribed to the service, once I click on "Subscribe" it's stuck there for ever:

wjHm5uqh.png
I think we're having the same problem. I have all the same symptoms on my end. Like I said earlier, everything works fine immediately after a reboot, but that doesn't last long, and constantly rebooting my phone is a terrible solution.

Same thing here, started last Friday for me. Apple Music will play as long as I don't hit stop, but then when I try to play anything (either from AM or Beats1), it just sits there. Sometimes it will say that I'm not signed up for AM, and sometimes I get a "something's wrong" screen. Only a reboot fixes it. At least it's good to know it's not just me. Sounds like perhaps a problem with their authentication server.

Wow. I wonder which company he chose to join. Unrelated industry though? I wonder if he longed for a bigger role since he was a CEO before.

Beats 1 is by the far the best part of the Apple Music experience.

Mareg

Well since the last update, I've got a new very unpleasent bug.

Sometimes, I will make some songs available offline. They will seem to be downloading correctly. But some of them will be corrupted. They will take full space, AM will play them and show the complete track time. However, they will just stop playing at a very specific time and skip to the next song in the line.

I don't understand why Apple couldn't just make the download process robust enough to do a checksum on the files downloaded. I never had this issue before 8.4.1.

I'm digging Apple Music, but I hate that I can't seem to sync the music on my Mac unless I disconnect Apple music. This is almost a deal breaker. I don't want to have to download everything I can just transfer over. Unless I'm doing something wrong?

Otherwise, as an iPhone user, I see no reason not to keep Apple Music.

I'm digging Apple Music, but I hate that I can't seem to sync the music on my Mac unless I disconnect Apple music. This is almost a deal breaker. I don't want to have to download everything I can just transfer over. Unless I'm doing something wrong?

Otherwise, as an iPhone user, I see no reason not to keep Apple Music.

I can still sync music here.
Individual album: ... > Add To > Devices (phone is here)
Multiple albums: right click highlighted albums > Add to Playlist > Phone should top the list

Sami+

I really don''t get the "for you" tab. I don't want curated playlists lol, I don't really care about what some Apple intern thought would make a good hip-hop mixtape. I want to just press a button to activate an algorithm that'll say "oh hey you like Nujabes" and throw some Shing02 or something my way by itself, not "oh hey you like Nujabes here try listening to this hip hop playlist with Drake and Lil Wayne".

Am I missing something here?

edit - also can I go back and retroactively remove the "top favorite" stuff I put in when I first made my account? It didn't let me type in what I actually liked and so I had to fill my top 5 with typical mainstream stuff that I think is kind of okay.

neshcom

Banned
I really don''t get the "for you" tab. I don't want curated playlists lol, I don't really care about what some Apple intern thought would make a good hip-hop mixtape. I want to just press a button to activate an algorithm that'll say "oh hey you like Nujabes" and throw some Shing02 or something my way by itself, not "oh hey you like Nujabes here try listening to this hip hop playlist with Drake and Lil Wayne".

Am I missing something here?

edit - also can I go back and retroactively remove the "top favorite" stuff I put in when I first made my account? It didn't let me type in what I actually liked and so I had to fill my top 5 with typical mainstream stuff that I think is kind of okay.
You can still make automated stations based on artists and songs.

That's not a good sign.

Not that they are gonna cancel Apple Music or anything but maybe it didn't kick off as well as they hoped.

Not sure what his reasoning is but it was reportedly a surprise on Apple's side that he was leaving. He went to go work in a role for a company in a different industry so maybe he just wanted to try something new once Apple Music/Beats 1 launched. He's probably made a good deal of money from the buyout and can pursue whatever he wants. He also has young kids. He was probably not going to be an executive at Apple anytime soon.

That's not a good sign.

Not that they are gonna cancel Apple Music or anything but maybe it didn't kick off as well as they hoped.

I mean, from the User Interface/Experience standpoint, it didn't, and I know a lot of people who weren't willing to wait until iOS 8.4.1 came out and now are adamant that Apple Music is terrible.

Still though, Apple Music is available on every iOS device in the world. I don't see it doing poorly, the same way that Apple Maps isn't doing poorly.

I don't think there's a Heart icon for artists at a top-level, but I believe it auto-follows artists you selected in the initial setup, so perhaps if you unfollow them it'll remove them from the algorithm. But also you should be Hearting any tracks or albums you want to be included in the For You algorithm. I've definitely noticed my For You section getting more specific and esoteric over time.

As for the auto-generated playlists, Apple has been very clear that they don't believe in algorithms deciding on playlists (though the old auto-generated stations still exist if you want them). The algorithm simply decides what human-curated playlists to show you, as well as showing you albums you might be interested in.

Quasar

I don't think there's a Heart icon for artists at a top-level, but I believe it auto-follows artists you selected in the initial setup, so perhaps if you unfollow them it'll remove them from the algorithm. But also you should be Hearting any tracks or albums you want to be included in the For You algorithm. I've definitely noticed my For You section getting more specific and esoteric over time.

The whole for you thing is weird to me. The genre and artists selection process at the start is too limiting and so I'm picking things that aren't my favourite things. And I'm not really sure how the hearts works. I mean I'm quite a J-Pop fan so I've tried skewing the whole thing by hearting lots of jpop (and following Apples J-Pop curator as well as lots of J-Pop artists) and nothing else and so far I've never seen any J-Pop ever appear in my for you.

Same with classical music and soundtracks.

Iacobellis

Why is that recently, ANY song I try to play in Apple Music is greyed out? It happens in Albums, Playlists, etc. and requires me to search that specific song and play it from the results list.

neshcom

Banned
The whole for you thing is weird to me. The genre and artists selection process at the start is too limiting and so I'm picking things that aren't my favourite things. And I'm not really sure how the hearts works. I mean I'm quite a J-Pop fan so I've tried skewing the whole thing by hearting lots of jpop (and following Apples J-Pop curator as well as lots of J-Pop artists) and nothing else and so far I've never seen any J-Pop ever appear in my for you.

Same with classical music and soundtracks.
As far as jpop goes, a LOT of their JP catalogue didn't make it over, so that's why you're probably seeing a big shift towards other genres. Also, a lot of their JP stuff is in curated playlists that non-JP listeners can't access. For example, the intro to Koda Kumi playlist has one song in it. Japan's been cold on iTunes, so it's not much of a surprise.

I want to love Apple Music. I really do. And on the surface, I do. Siri integration is killer and I use it all the time. The curated playlists are excellent, every time I load For You something new pops up and I've discovered legitimately great stuff from it. I don't listen to Beats 1 live, but I enjoy following the playlists that are posted from it.

But all the little things, man. A song starting then stopping. Unplugging earphones to pause the music and it starting back up on its own through the speakers. Recently, whenever I try to go to an album page from a song that's playing by pressing the top bar in the menu, it just throws me Unknown Album, Unknown Artist every time.

Apple, I love you. Fix this nonsense.

Top Bottom