• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Quasar

As far as jpop goes, a LOT of their JP catalogue didn't make it over, so that's why you're probably seeing a big shift towards other genres. Also, a lot of their JP stuff is in curated playlists that non-JP listeners can't access. For example, the intro to Koda Kumi playlist has one song in it. Japan's been cold on iTunes, so it's not much of a surprise.

Though to me its weird that following the JPop Curator gives me access to a bunch of playlists that never get promoted in For You. And that reminds me how the Apple Music J-Pop Editor is totally buried whereas you'd think it would appear on the same place where all the other editors pages would.

And that brings another weird thing in terms of playlists. I see playlists full of stuff thats in my Apple Music iCloud library but they are all greyed out in the Apple Music playlists. Certainly I understand why (the tracks aren't licensed for Apple Music in my country) but you'd think it would look at what's in my local library too.

LceQJPz.png

So the new Beach House album is out, and I can listen to less than half of it. That's cool.
That's weird. I can listen to the whole thing. The songs that you can hear are the pre-released ones, iirc. Hmm.

Ninja Dom

Hi guys, I need some technical help please.

I got my iPhone 6 replaced at the Apple Store nearly two weeks ago.

Everything was fine. And I decided to plug the iPhone into my comp and copy my songs over. Except I couldn't because I'm signed up to Apple Music. A bit odd as I can't even copy over my own music that I had before Apple Music over to the iPhone.

Okay, no problem, I'll "download" my music back onto the iPhone. Shit is now bringing the wrong versions of albums down onto the iPhone. I'm a hip-hop guy and now I'm getting censored album versions instead of the explicit, different mixes etc.

Very frustrating that I can't put my own pre-Apple music directly from comp to iPhone.

And on top of that, Re-downloading my music affected the performance of my iPhone 6 so much that I had to restore it. 😠

GWX

Apple Music is getting on my nerves. It's caching mechanism is stealing all my available storage. The only way to clear the cache that I know of is to disable and then re-enable iCloud Music Library, but doing so will also delete my manually downloaded songs, and I can't afford such thing. My 16GB 5s weeps, with only 7GB used by apps, photos and downloaded music, and the rest being stolen by Apple Music caching.

Is there any way to not show albums from playlists in the album view? I like downloading playlists from Apple Music, but then my Album list gets cluttered with tons of "albums" that only have one or two tracks in them. Any way to hide these? Kind of annoying

This is a serious pain in the ass and clutters shit up.

Apple Music is getting on my nerves. It's caching mechanism is stealing all my available storage. The only way to clear the cache that I know of is to disable and then re-enable iCloud Music Library, but doing so will also delete my manually downloaded songs, and I can't afford such thing. My 16GB 5s weeps, with only 7GB used by apps, photos and downloaded music, and the rest being stolen by Apple Music caching.

Yep. Why not give the user the option to flush their cache in the music settings?

And it's the same way with streaming video that's been purchased through iTunes.

GWX

Yep. Why not give the user the option to flush their cache in the music settings?

And it's the same way with streaming video that's been purchased through iTunes.

It seriously sucks. If the final build of iOS 9 fails to give me an option to delete the cached content (optimally it should have a slider to determine how much space do I want to reserve for caching, like Deezer and others), I'm jumping out.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
So I downloaded some songs for playing when I'm away from Wi-Fi and 4G but I was wondering how long can your songs or playlists be off-line before you lose them. Do they automatically get switched off when I'm on Wi-Fi or is there something I need to do to make sure I don't lose my songs and playlists even though I like to enjoy them off-line?

Number45

So I downloaded some songs for playing when I'm away from Wi-Fi and 4G but I was wondering how long can your songs or playlists be off-line before you lose them. Do they automatically get switched off when I'm on Wi-Fi or is there something I need to do to make sure I don't lose my songs and playlists even though I like to enjoy them off-line?
As long as your Apple Music subscription is active, the downloaded songs are there indefinitely (I download everything that I listen to semi-regularly because I spend quite a bit of time with poor signal).

EDIT: Small Faces are up. I can get Ogden's Nut Gone Flake again! >3

Ninja Dom

Indefinitely. A song that you Make Available Offline is always available offline until you decide to remove it. No connection (wifi or cellular) is required to listen to an offline song.

It seriously sucks. If the final build of iOS 9 fails to give me an option to delete the cached content (optimally it should have a slider to determine how much space do I want to reserve for caching, like Deezer and others), I'm jumping out.

I can't see Apple ever giving users a clear music cache button because no one in the media is calling them out on it. It really sucks that I have about 90 movies purchased through iTunes and I have a 32gb iPad. So if I want to stream a movie I can but it gets cached. If I stream a different movie that gets cached. All the way till I get storage space warnings and the cache then doesn't auto-clear.

With Music it's worse as I have far more music saved to my account and I love listening to it.

Makes no sense why something like that would be difficult to implement as a quality of life feature but it won't because it's been going on for years and no one in the tech journalism sphere will call Apple out on it.

So does Siri always freak out when trying to play a goddamn playlist? I'll say "Hey Siri play the playlist ________" and she goes "Sorry, there's a problem" every single time. Doesn't tell me what the problem is, doesn't tell me how to fix it, nothing. Just "Sorry."

Now, I can say "Hey Siri, play _______" just the name of the playlist without saying the word playlist, and that mostly works correctly. Not totally, but mostly. Some playlists won't play because she thinks it's a song or album name, and I can't spell out "Play this playlist" because she's too busy being sorry

Edit: actually scratch that. If you say "Play the playlist ________" and it's a playlist YOU have created, it's fine. She does it. But if it's an Apple Music playlist you've saved to My Music, she's sorry. Unbelievable.

Future

Hi guys, I need some technical help please.

I got my iPhone 6 replaced at the Apple Store nearly two weeks ago.

Everything was fine. And I decided to plug the iPhone into my comp and copy my songs over. Except I couldn't because I'm signed up to Apple Music. A bit odd as I can't even copy over my own music that I had before Apple Music over to the iPhone.

Okay, no problem, I'll "download" my music back onto the iPhone. Shit is now bringing the wrong versions of albums down onto the iPhone. I'm a hip-hop guy and now I'm getting censored album versions instead of the explicit, different mixes etc.

Very frustrating that I can't put my own pre-Apple music directly from comp to iPhone.

And on top of that, Re-downloading my music affected the performance of my iPhone 6 so much that I had to restore it. 😠

Yeah i was complaining about this earlier in the thread. The solution unfortunately is turning off iCloud library on the phone. You can still have apple music lists, but they won't synch to your computer.

Once you enable iCloud library on the phone, all synch settings in iTunes disappear and you have only what apple seems worthy to appear on your phone. If you can ensure Apple doesn't make any mistakes in duplicating your library on the phone then it's fine, but it never got it right for me

Ashhong

Yea just turn off iCloud music, sync the physical songs (which hopefully didn't get fucked up by AM anyway) and then turn it back on. Annoying

Yeah i was complaining about this earlier in the thread. The solution unfortunately is turning off iCloud library on the phone. You can still have apple music lists, but they won't synch to your computer.

Once you enable iCloud library on the phone, all synch settings in iTunes disappear and you have only what apple seems worthy to appear on your phone. If you can ensure Apple doesn't make any mistakes in duplicating your library on the phone then it's fine, but it never got it right for me

Yeah, this is some bullshit. Has been doing my head in and is pushing me back to Rdio pretty quick.

ShowDog

Apple Music is beginning to get on my nerves with general UI and usability fuckups that others have been mentioning as well. I'm worried that tying this into iOS itself is going to make updates slow to come by. Makes me think about returning to Spotify.

The kicker is that iTunes is an absolute trainwreck. Spotify is almost better just for the desktop (and especially web) app.

kaskade

I guess I have until the end of the month to decide to switch back to Spotify or not. Right now it's just a little too buggy for me. Sometimes music adds to the library sometimes it doesn't. Downloading music is completely hit or miss for me too. I just want my physical library + whatever I add with Apple music.

Number45

I've decided to keep mine. At the moment it's behaving exactly how I want it to, and with two other people in the family that can use it (three once the Android version is released) it's an easy decision at £15/month.

The playlists are the best of any of the streaming services, and i'll miss those but until I can get my normal itunes library to work with Apple Music, there's no point in me using it.

Future

Yea just turn off iCloud music, sync the physical songs (which hopefully didn't get fucked up by AM anyway) and then turn it back on. Annoying

Turning it back on sometimes removes the songs though. Happened to me with some marked ineligible for apple music for some reason

Ninja Dom

Thanks.

I turned off iCloud Music sync & Show Apple Music on my iPhone. This allowed me to manually copy across albums from my comp to my iPhone (old-school cable sync). I then turned iCloud Music Library & Apple Misic back on, on the iPhone. Then re-downloaded any newer music from Apple Music.

All seems to be fine. And my iPhone performance has improved too.

Number45

The playlists are the best of any of the streaming services, and i'll miss those but until I can get my normal itunes library to work with Apple Music, there's no point in me using it.
I know it's not an option for most, but I started a new library from scratch and since then it's been working fine. I'll probably start to introduce stuff that's not on the service soon (The Beatles for example) and see if it still fucks around with them.

Quasar

Heres something thats come up lately and I'm wondering if I'm alone.

I've been playing around with siri and Apple Music, and well any time I do any request with the word Anime, such ad 'play some anime music' siri totally fails to understand the word anime (even though its a default itunes genre) no matter how try and say it in terms of emphasis. Does siri just not get anime?

Heres something thats come up lately and I'm wondering if I'm alone.

I've been playing around with siri and Apple Music, and well any time I do any request with the word Anime, such ad 'play some anime music' siri totally fails to understand the word anime (even though its a default itunes genre) no matter how try and say it in terms of emphasis. Does siri just not get anime?

I just tried "Play some music from the genre anime" and she kept correcting it to Annamae

Ninja Dom

We're just over two weeks away from Day 1 adopters having their 3 month free trial expire.

Who's keeping it and who's not subscribing after the free trial.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I still have a month and a half left since I started at the beginning of August, but I think the most thing I like about it is the fact that I can have all my music in one place...however I still prefer spotify for their long playlists. I also am quite annoyed about Apple's obsession with Taylor Swift. The fact that you can't even listen to the Deluxe 1989 or her Bad Blood Single with Kendrick is very annoying.

SeanR1221

Two of my playlist (The A List: Dance and The A List: Pop) both randomly disappeared. Not the biggest deal since I have them synced up for when I'm driving with my wife, but weird.

Also, I never noticed all the genres/activities listed under the new section. Pretty cool.

Ashhong

All in with the family plan. One of the reasons is that it's so easy to find iTunes gift cards on sale, so it's a fraction of the price.

I thought there was an update to AM where it fixes the incorrect cover art for synced music? I have physical songs that have the correct art on my PC with the incorrect art on Music. Probably my biggest issue with it

SeanR1221

One thing I still don't like is how spotty it is making songs available offline. A lot of times it just flat out doesnt do it and I have to remove and re add the playlist.

EDIT- actually thats not doing the trick. I can't sync certain playlists offline. Anyone know a work around?

Ashhong

One thing I still don't like is how spotty it is making songs available offline. A lot of times it just flat out doesnt do it and I have to remove and re add the playlist.

EDIT- actually thats not doing the trick. I can't sync certain playlists offline. Anyone know a work around?

I haven't had any issues making playlists available offline. Is there a specific one you are having issues with?

Apple Music has barely improved since its launch. It has major, major user experience and UI problems, myriad technical issues, and it has some architectural issues that don't jive with the way I listen to music. Beats 1 is the only shining star of AM, and really they should've kept that exclusive to the AM subscription because there's not much else to love from the service. So before I say yes to paying money for AM in the future, I want to see some of the major improvements Apple says they're working on. And frankly, they should extend the free trial until they have those ready. Because as it stands, there's no way I would pay for it.

The fact that you can't even listen to the Deluxe 1989 or her Bad Blood Single with Kendrick is very annoying.

Keep in mind, this (and all other cases of songs not appearing within AM) is an artist and label decision, not Apple's.

We're just over two weeks away from Day 1 adopters having their 3 month free trial expire.

Who's keeping it and who's not subscribing after the free trial.

I'm keeping it, but sort of begrudgingly. Siri integration has me hooked, but that UI needs a LOT of work

I actually may transition to using Apple Music like a "try before you buy" thing. Listen to an album, see if I like it, buy it if I do

I'll keep it up, but I still haven't found any reason to keep Match and Music. Is there any reason to keep both?

So iTunes Match takes all your music and stores them in like a digital locker, totally DRM-free. If you delete the original file, you can redownload it no problem.

Apple Music does the same thing (matching and uploading) but it's DRM-locked. If it uploads one of your files and you delete the original, when you redownload it it'll be an Apple Music file instead of the original filetype, meaning if you cancel your Apple Music subscription you've lost that file

If you keep the original file on your hard drive it's not a problem, but if you ever lose the original and don't have a local backup, now your only copy of that file is an Apple Music file. If you stay subbed to iTunes Match, everything you upload will default to that

Went all in on Apple Music. Staying at the end of the month, have a family plan with the wife, and even turned off iTunes Match. Don't really have the energy or interest in maintaining a full music catalog anymore - doing just fine with "adding" stuff I like from Apple Music.

So, everything in a playlist that I opened on my second computer to stream changed metadata. Track numbers lost, replacing the disc number. Spent an hour fixing it. Is this a known bug? Is there any way to stop it?

Quasar

Went all in on Apple Music. Staying at the end of the month, have a family plan with the wife, and even turned off iTunes Match. Don't really have the energy or interest in maintaining a full music catalog anymore - doing just fine with "adding" stuff I like from Apple Music.

I'll admit I've decided to hang around untill I see the Android app and see whether the new AppleTV isn't as useless as the current one.

Someone help remind me. If I turn off iCloud music sync, I can or can't make a playlist of music from Apple Music? I have it on, but can only make a playlist of stuff from Apple Music, but can't make a mix of stuff from it and my own collection.

chadskin

I'll definitely switch back to Spotify once the trial is over.

I miss the notifications about new songs/albums from artists I follow that I get on the Spotify (desktop) app, plus I found the playlists on Apple Music to be pretty, pretty terrible overall. They all had a weird mix of artists and songs somehow, while on Spotify I follow more than a dozen playlists that I really, really enjoy for the most part.

Since I'm not interested in Ms. Swift or Beats Radio and Spotify is also 50% cheaper as long as I'm in university, the convenience of Apple Music being built into the iPhone music app and iTunes sadly doesn't make up for its downsides as far as I'm concerned. Hope they get there eventually.

Top Bottom