• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Appleman

Just updated my Dev Kit to retail. Downloaded a few apps to test them out. Really really love the remote and slickness of the interface. Remains to be seen whether some really useful apps come out for it, but so far Netflix, etc are working great, and are a huge improvement over the old Apple TV apps.

Love the screen savers too

senahorse

Impressions pls

Only had time for a quick go at it.

The keyboard input really sucks, horrible design, I am sure they will improve on this, I set my password to never ask for the appstore because it's such a pain.

Siri works pretty good from my brief try. I can say "play Sphere on Netflix" and it will load it up for me, "find movies from 2009 on Netflix" etc The problem I have with it though is I am using Getflix to watch Netflix in the U.S. but it seems like Siri might be searching Netflix from Australia (my region) which mean it doesn't work fantastically as the catalogues are pretty different.

Everything is nice and snappy.

No support for 24hz :(, I haven't tried playing media files yet to see how they go.

Had a quick go of the free Rayman game, looked and ran great, controls were alright on the touchpad.

I like how it has HDMI-CEC, so when I turn it off it turns of my receiver and TV, nice touch.

Terrell

Siri/Universal search. Pretty crappy I'm finding. Beyond the standard typical siri failing to understand what I'm saying frequently, I'm finding (from a few searches) that if I search for something it does not always provide a netflix link even if netflix also has the thing. Which is a bit weird.

Computer. I really don't like that Apple did not create a new interface for accessing content on my PC. I find that really pretty awful, so I was hoping to see a nice new interface for that. Of course I guess now that I have a plex client (albeit third party today) I probably won't need to use that.

My big question: When you do Siri searches, does local computer content come up in the universal search? That would be a pretty glaring omission if it doesn't that I would actually ask them to add, along with a better interface for Home Sharing content.

Does Apple Canada EVER do overnight delivery? I got a shopping notification with estimated delivery of next Wednesday. It's not a big deal, but it always puzzles me how long their shipping is for me in Canada.

Yeah, I made the mistake of buying online, as well. I had hoped they would ship to arrive at the same time as their availability in store. Might buy one at the store and return the one that was shipped to me. If I don't open the box I get when it is shipped and return it, they refund in full, yes?

I like how it has HDMI-CEC, so when I turn it off it turns of my receiver and TV, nice touch.

Another question: How configurable is HDMI-CEC? I would prefer that, if you turn it off, it switches to the next active TV input that's available.

Appleman

Only had time for a quick go at it.

The keyboard input really sucks, horrible design, I am sure they will improve on this, I set my password to never ask for the appstore because it's such a pain.

Siri works pretty good from my brief try. I can say "play Sphere on Netflix" and it will load it up for me, "find movies from 2009 on Netflix" etc The problem I have with it though is I am using Getflix to watch Netflix in the U.S. but it seems like Siri might be searching Netflix from Australia (my region) which mean it doesn't work fantastically as the catalogues are pretty different.

Everything is nice and snappy.

No support for 24hz :(, I haven't tried playing media files yet to see how they go.

Had a quick go of the free Rayman game, looked and ran great, controls were alright on the touchpad.

I've seen the same Siri weirdness. I have a Canadian iTunes account, but am in the US right now so "Saturday Night Live" doesn't show up despite their being one season I can watch through US Netflix. I plan on moving my account, curious if that fixes it

Quasar

My big question: When you do Siri searches, does local computer content come up in the universal search? That would be a pretty glaring omission if it doesn't that I would actually ask them to add, along with a better interface for Home Sharing content.

No. I was at first annoyed, but given I find the interface not very good (its identical to whats in the old Apple TVs) and I have a plex client I have less of an issue. Or rather I have no need to use it anymore.

For me at least universal search has an additional wrinkle. I'm in Australia using a US Netflix account and the universal search searches the Australia netflix database (which is more limited). And so far even changing the region of my AppleTV hasn't changed that.

Well using a US iTunes account fixes the search problem. Not practical though given the content I have attached to my local iTunes account.

numble

I've seen the same Siri weirdness. I have a Canadian iTunes account, but am in the US right now so "Saturday Night Live" doesn't show up despite their being one season I can watch through US Netflix. I plan on moving my account, curious if that fixes it

If you are talking about moving the iTunes account, I've read that moving your iTunes account will remove access to all your prior purchases, so you may want to look into it before doing that.

Dalek

No. I was at first annoyed, but given I find the interface not very good (its identical to whats in the old Apple TVs) and I have a plex client I have less of an issue. Or rather I have no need to use it anymore.

For me at least universal search has an additional wrinkle. I'm in Australia using a US Netflix account and the universal search searches the Australia netflix database (which is more limited). And so far even changing the region of my AppleTV hasn't changed that.

Well using a US iTunes account fixes the search problem. Not practical though given the content I have attached to my local iTunes account.

No universal search on local content? Fuck-that sucks. My kid has tons of shows I have stored in my iTunes library.

Terrell

I suffer from bandwidth caps being a Canadian and all that dwarf those in the US, and have 2 of these devices, so a download-once solution is imperative to me. The fact that this data doesn't appear in Universal Search, or at least doesn't check if you have a local source when you select the iTunes option instead of re-downloading, is something I will need Apple to address.

In short: time to write some hate mail.

EDIT: Also, your issue with Netflix not producing results sounds like it might be a backend issue with how Netflix meta-tags the content.

Quasar

I suffer from bandwidth caps being a Canadian and all that dwarf those in the US, and have 2 of these devices, so a download-once solution is imperative to me. The fact that this data doesn't appear in Universal Search, or at least doesn't check if you have a local source when you select the iTunes option instead of re-downloading, is something I will need Apple to address.

In short: time to write some hate mail.

Certainly its odd. Maybe they need to update iTunes so the AppleTV can query it.

EDIT: Also, your issue with Netflix not producing results sounds like it might be a backend issue with how Netflix meta-tags the content.

Given that switching itunes accounts solved the issue I wonder if the OS has a list of sources and URLS to use based on the region the device is set to.

Terrell

Certainly its odd. Maybe they need to update iTunes so the AppleTV can query it.

I hope that's the case. We will know for sure soon enough, but this is something I'll need day one, so... dang.

Given that switching itunes accounts solved the issue I wonder if the OS has a list of sources and URLS to use based on the region the device is set to.

That's also possible. Sucks for people geo-spoofing their way to a better Netflix, but... not unexpected.

senahorse

FYI there is a free (for a few days or weeks) app called Video Explorer that allows you to connect to UPnP sources and shared drives, detected and connected to my Kodi machine and played a few videos (mkv etc). However the colour was very muted, not sure why that is. Anyway, it's pretty buggy overall at the moment but a nice start, grab it while it's free and help the dev (nothing to do with me) with feedback.

Another question: How configurable is HDMI-CEC? I would prefer that, if you turn it off, it switches to the next active TV input that's available.

I don't think you can configure it from the ATV but if going through a receiver you might be able to do that, with mine the next device will wake it back up when I use it.

kuppy

FYI there is a free (for a few days or weeks) app called Video Explorer that allows you to connect to UPnP sources and shared drives, detected and connected to my Kodi machine and played a few videos (mkv etc). However the colour was very muted, not sure why that is. Anyway, it's pretty buggy overall at the moment but a nice start, grab it while it's free and help the dev (nothing to do with me) with feedback.
Does the Apple TV not have a native way of reading files from a NAS? Not even a iTunes library located on the NAS?

Edit: Btw BBC iPlayer app coming to Apple TV 'in coming months'

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Considering the Apple TV has either 32 or 64GB storage, and therefore the entry level has twice the storage of the entry level iPhone...why even bother with this asset streaming? Why not let people just manage their space like normal?

Does Siri search plex content?

Considering the Apple TV has either 32 or 64GB storage, and therefore the entry level has twice the storage of the entry level iPhone...why even bother with this asset streaming? Why not let people just manage their space like normal?

As far is I'm aware, there's a universal search API, so it's probably down to individual developers to support it in their apps. If Plex doesn't support it, they can hopefully patch it in.

senahorse

So running plex on my server and then I bought simplex for ATV, great app that allows me to get plex like library viewing and playing on ATV.

It does work, but you have to change your iTunes store location as well.

hoping there will be a 'fix' for this, maybe (probably) a jailbreak thing

The Plex devs have said they want to implement it, but the universal search API hasn't been made available to third party devs (except the few Apple gave early access to like Netflix).

Tabris

How is the Plex experience so far? I found Plex to be poor on XB1, PS4, and Samsung TV. So I'm hoping Apple TV is the best option.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Still not shipped from Apple.com guess I'll be returning that and buying one in store today.

Payed for next day shipping soon after it was available and no movement.

Guess Who

Banned
Weird request, but does anybody know the power usage of the Apple TV?

Per https://www.apple.com/sg/environment/pdf/products/appletv/AppleTV_PER_oct2015pdf.pdf

dVbjiyB.png

How is the Plex experience so far? I found Plex to be poor on XB1, PS4, and Samsung TV. So I'm hoping Apple TV is the best option.

Plex isn't available yet.

Ah, do we have an expected timeframe for Plex?

I was on their forums last night. Their app is in review, in fact this is this 3rd time they've submitted it actually. It got rejected the first two times because it sounds like there was some misunderstanding about the TV App Store guidelines when it comes to linking to their external website. if it doesn't get rejected it sounds like it will be really soon as they said that turnaround times for App Store reviews have been pretty quick.

There is currently a 3rd party Plex client available for $2.99 called Simple X. Sounds like it's quite good as it's designed to look like one of the native Apple apps. The guy has beta tested it, and is over on the Plex boards including getting congrats from the actual Plex team in shipping his app. So there is an option if you need your Plex fix as soon as you setup you new Apple TV should the official app not be on the store yet. Hell, I'm probably going to buy it just to see how it's different from the official app and see if I like the look anymore than the direction that Plex has been taking all of their apps in.

Futureman

can this thing keep you sufficiently entertained without subscriptions (Netflix, Hulu, etc)? I do have Netflix, but I'm wondering what the free TV-like content is like. I don't have cable so I assume many apps are useless like Comedy Central?

can this thing keep you sufficiently entertained without subscriptions (Netflix, Hulu, etc)? I do have Netflix, but I'm wondering what the free TV-like content is like. I don't have cable so I assume many apps are useless like Comedy Central?

If you're a cord cutter and have no subscriptions you'll be SOL. The online TV stuff is driven off of cable subscriptions at the moment.

my apple tv just came, i think i may have gotten a wrong usb (lightning cable) unless we are charging the remote from pc? thought it would be from the tv.

my apple tv just came, i think i may have gotten a wrong usb (lightning cable) unless we are charging the remote from pc? thought it would be from the tv.

No they include a regular one. The USB-C on the back is for diagnostics and repair.

I ended up getting one of these and hooking up a whole heap of 6 foot lightning cables to it. Charges remotes, charges iPads (2A ports yay!), charges iPhones.

kuppy

I was on their forums last night. Their app is in review, in fact this is this 3rd time they've submitted it actually. It got rejected the first two times because it sounds like there was some misunderstanding about the TV App Store guidelines when it comes to linking to their external website. if it doesn't get rejected it sounds like it will be really soon as they said that turnaround times for App Store reviews have been pretty quick.

There is currently a 3rd party Plex client available for $2.99 called Simple X. Sounds like it's quite good as it's designed to look like one of the native Apple apps. The guy has beta tested it, and is over on the Plex boards including getting congrats from the actual Plex team in shipping his app. So there is an option if you need your Plex fix as soon as you setup you new Apple TV should the official app not be on the store yet. Hell, I'm probably going to buy it just to see how it's different from the official app and see if I like the look anymore than the direction that Plex has been taking all of their apps in.
Here's a video of it, looks nice.

Top Bottom