• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

btkadams

They really should include a power adapter though. Cheap that they do the same for the iPod.
Doesn't one charge with these remotes last up to 3 months though? This is a bit different than an iPad or iPhone. You're not going to be plugging it in often at all.

Here's a video of it, looks nice.

Yes it does. I'm going to assume that the official Plex client is going to look like the new Plex Media Player and similar to the new Roku app and the XB1/PS4 apps since they seem to be headed towards having all of their apps have the same interface. I'm not a huge fan of that style, so if Simple X preforms without any issues I could actually see myself using that over the official Plex one.

ok thanks. the tv is shockingly small, i like it. The typing is a pain, i hope apple improves it asap. good thing i was able to pair my phone to add the tv to my wifi.

airplay from mac to the tv works well

There is a place in the settings where you can add another apple id. Does that mean you can have 2 id on 1 system?

i honestly wished we could use our iPhone to type cause using the tv keyboard is BAD

kuppy

Odd question, but is there a way to watch Giantbomb video content on an Apple TV?
Not an odd question, a good question.

I think Plex has a channel for it. And with the development structure being open one might as well hope that there will be an app created by a duder in the future. Since GB themselves surely are not going to consider it or will take forever (although maybe a mail is worth writing just to hear it first hand). Apart from that there is always AirPlay.

Odd question, but is there a way to watch Giantbomb video content on an Apple TV?

Not straight out (aside from Youtube, but I assume you mean straight from the website -premium stuff included), so I highly recommend the Video Buddy app (someone in the community made it) if you have an ios device. It's very well done, so you just airplay it out.

Also, bummer. Unless Apple magically gives me one day shipping and I receive it tomorrow, I guess I won't be getting it until next week. I ordered it within minutes that it was up. Oh well.

TimFL

Welp my confirmation says delivery by next monday. There goes my AppleTV streaming marathon weekend. Looks like I have to actually go out with friends...

CodonAUG

Yes:
1) You can use AirPlay on OSX to stream whatever is on your computer to the AppleTV.

2) There are Windows apps that will let you stream your screen from your PC to AppleTV (I tried one a couple years ago, AirParrot and it was not remotely good).

3) Giantbomb video buddy on iOS and AirPlay it to the AppleTV

i honestly wished we could use our iPhone to type cause using the tv keyboard is BAD

This tip'll make the keyboard a tiny bit more bearable: instead of swiping around, you can tap the edges of the touchpad like a d-pad to move around the keyboard.

If you're a cord cutter and have no subscriptions you'll be SOL. The online TV stuff is driven off of cable subscriptions at the moment.

Not all of it - I watched Heroes Reborn last night on the NBC app, worked decently enough.

holygeesus

Banned
Slightly odd question, but will I blow up my remote if I use my iPad charger to charge it? It hasn't damaged my iPhone all the while I've been doing it, so I guess it's safe?

Also can you not pair a bluetooth keyboard with it for typing?

MercuryLS

Banned
Slightly odd question, but will I blow up my remote if I use my iPad charger to charge it? It hasn't damaged my iPhone all the while I've been doing it, so I guess it's safe?

Also can you not pair a bluetooth keyboard with it for typing?

Nah, those charging bricks should be smart enough to regulate how much power to give devices.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
nfl app on apple tv, would it stream live matches? if not can i air play it from phone? thanks

NFL doesn't stream anything live EXCEPT for Sunday Ticket (which is not on a lot of streaming boxes). Without Sunday ticket, the only legal game streaming offered is NFL Pass which is next day only.

NFL doesn't stream anything live EXCEPT for Sunday Ticket (which is not on a lot of streaming boxes). Without Sunday ticket, the only legal game streaming offered is NFL Pass which is next day only.

Depends actually. Overseas, Game Pass actually does stream live games. Here in the US it's Sunday Ticket app only. So depending on where you live you might actually be able to watch live games through Game Pass if there is an app available for it.

SuperPac

So did they fix scrolling through a large local iTunes library?

When I tried it on a devkit you had to swipe many times to scroll a large movie or TV show library and I would often be just a bit off and it would change tabs (to genre/unwatched/by date/etc.) and it'd start again at the top of the list when I went back. It was maddening. Like, the worst. Unusable for a library like mine with probably 1,000 movies and TV shows. I entered a radar for it but they closed it. I may have been too snarky in it. :p No reviews mentioned it so either those people don't have large iTunes library or Apple changed it. :) Was almost enough to make me not order one for myself. Almost (it arrives today!).

LiK

Not an odd question, a good question.

I think Plex has a channel for it. And with the development structure being open one might as well hope that there will be an app created by a duder in the future. Since GB themselves surely are not going to consider it or will take forever (although maybe a mail is worth writing just to hear it first hand). Apart from that there is always AirPlay.

thanks for this/ I've been using Video Buddy with Airplay but Plex is a good alt

borghe

Not all of it - I watched Heroes Reborn last night on the NBC app, worked decently enough.

it's hit and miss. You are mostly screwed with free content to watch. That being said... especially with an iPhone/iPad... you do have plenty of options.

Most of the major networks offer streaming through their app/site without a cable sub on a limited basis. Depending on the network either the current week, or OLDER than the current week.

YouTube obviously.

Crackle offers a lot of content for free.

Yahoo screen offers quite a bit of free content.

Running around the net, there is plenty of free content.. Though yeah you have to look for it. Rick and Morty have new episodes for free for a week. Pokemon offers tons of episodes for free. Most cable channels offer a bunch of limited content for free.

Having a subscription to various services makes it really easy in that it gives you a ton of content all in one central (or many more centralized) places. Not having a sub, there is plenty of free content, but you have to look around for it.

Depends actually. Overseas, Game Pass actually does stream live games. Here in the US it's Sunday Ticket app only. So depending on where you live you might actually be able to watch live games through Game Pass if there is an app available for it.

yea i am talking about overseas. My question is does the nfl app offer the live stream game? as no gamepass app

Still not shipped from Apple.com guess I'll be returning that and buying one in store today.

Payed for next day shipping soon after it was available and no movement.

Same here. Ordered within an hour of it going up, paid for next-day. Still hasn't shipped. Not happy about this.

borghe

picking mine up this afternoon.

honestly this may be the first device I ever jailbreak if it comes and Controllers4All is released for tvOS. Being able to use my DS4 on Apple TV 4 would be way too enticing to pass up.

honestly this may be the first device I ever jailbreak if it comes and Controllers4All is released for tvOS. Being able to use my DS4 on Apple TV 4 would be way too enticing to pass up.

Yeah. As an emulator box this is really tempting. It just seems perfect for it. Waiting on that jailbreak though.

MercuryLS

Banned

Yeah. As an emulator box this is really tempting. It just seems perfect for it. Waiting on that jailbreak though.

Agree to both, using a DS4 and installing emulators for my classic games would be worth the jailbreak. I hope there's an easy way to enable VPN to access American Netflix, Iove how it is on iOS. A quick toggle in settings. If like something like that on Apple TV so I don't have to AirPlay US content from my iOS devices constantly.

borghe

if you have a Mac, emulation should start popping up within the next week I bet.. with a Mac and XCode you can now sideload apps without a paid developer account (unless it's different for ATV). If you don't have a Mac, then yeah you'll need a jailbreak.

Controllers4All will still need a jailbreak though, to bypass the MFi controller stack.

if you have a Mac, emulation should start popping up within the next week I bet.. with a Mac and XCode you can now sideload apps without a paid developer account (unless it's different for ATV). If you don't have a Mac, then yeah you'll need a jailbreak.

Controllers4All will still need a jailbreak though, to bypass the MFi controller stack.

Provenance is already available:

https://github.com/jasarien/Provenance

but yes, you would need a Mac + USB-C + MFi controller.

Juice

Well, apple overcharged my gift card $213 on my order and STILL hasn't shipped my TVs.

Neato. Had to call twice to figure out WTF happened.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does AirPlay work like chromecast, in that it hands the stream off to the Apple TV so you can do other things with the iPhone/iPad? Or is it mirroring the iPhone and streaming from there?

What I really want from all this new tangled voice control is just to be able to say 'hey (insert AI name here) - play my next episode of parks & rec' and it'll figure it out. Kinect on Xbox one works ok to launch plex, but then it's all 'item 1....item 3...play' which is shit.

Plex knows what is on deck for me, likewise Amazon prime and Netflix know what I've been watching so it should be doable. If I have to use the remote at some point in the flow then voice is basically pointless

You should complain, maybe they'll do something for you.

I just called; as I expected, once it's in Preparing For Shipment they can't cancel the order. But I did get her to remove the next-day shipping charge at least. This is the first time I've done an Apple preorder and not hit first-day delivery, which is strange considering it doesn't even seem to have a lot of hype around it. I'm not sure why their shipping logistics are messed up on this one.

I agree with everyone complaining about typing, it's a major pain and will be particularly annoying for people in the many countries that don't support Siri. Bluetooth keyboards are an option if you happen to have one.

Another major issue is app discovery. It's almost impossible to browse apps that haven't been featured by Apple. That's the kind of thing that will discourage app developers if Apple doesn't do something fast.

GWX

Does AirPlay work like chromecast, in that it hands the stream off to the Apple TV so you can do other things with the iPhone/iPad? Or is it mirroring the iPhone and streaming from there?

What I really want from all this new tangled voice control is just to be able to say 'hey (insert AI name here) - play my next episode of parks & rec' and it'll figure it out. Kinect on Xbox one works ok to launch plex, but then it's all 'item 1....item 3...play' which is shit.

Plex knows what is on deck for me, likewise Amazon prime and Netflix know what I've been watching so it should be doable. If I have to use the remote at some point in the flow then voice is basically pointless

The former.

giga

You guys should AirPlay Apple Music from your phones. Far more convenient than having to use the remote.

Bilix

Mine hasn't shipped yet either.

Oh well. There's no Apple store around me so not much I can do. Hopefully it comes sometime next week.

Top Bottom