• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

LCfiner

It apparantly works with universal remotes so you can get buttons for navigation (I agree with you, I prefer buttons for blind usage)

It definitely does. I can use my harmony remote to control it with the same setup that was programmed in for my old apple remote. I don't get the fast FF/RW swiping/scrubbing with the arrow keys but it's good to have the option to use the universal remote.

Zaph

New Verge article - The new Apple TV moved to HDMI 1 in just four days

He's not wrong, I'm really surprised how quickly the Apple TV 4 has come together. Was hesitant to pre-order assuming there'd be app issues, but Apple seems to be getting them approved and out the door quickly.

Just now waiting for Amazon to get it together so I can ditch my slow and stuttery Fire Stick which I still need for Mr Robot (great show btw).

I have a feeling that the App Store lacked the Top lists initially because they wanted it to get to a certain number of higher profile apps/games, so they people wouldn't see either empty lists or lists full of shovelware.

giga

The Apple TV doesn't do universal/void search for Amazon Prime Video. Not to mention it doesn't even play the content. So I think I'd rather have Netflix with text search if it means I also get Amazon content too. Plus Netflix content has been in talks about being added to universal search for awhile now so who knows, it may happen which will make that point moot.

So where are you trying to go with this? Apple TV does iTunes, Netflix, Showtime, HBO, and Hulu. Fire TV does Amazon, HBO, Showtime, Hulu, Starz, Encore, Vevo, Crackle, and Popcorn Flix. Fire TV has more services with search results right now and has Amazon included which the Apple TV does not. The Fire TV lets you use XBMC/Kodi which the Apple TV will not. The Fire TV will let you output DTS which the Apple TV will not. There are plenty of advantages that the Fire TV has over the Apple TV at this point in time but like I said before, no single box is perfect, not even a fully stacked HTPC. Also, you know what works with Amazon's universal search that doesn't work on the Apple TV? Music.

I have pretty much the same setup with a central controlled media server that works with XBMC, but none of the limitations that Plex gives me so I don't see Plex's media server being some sort of perk because it nets me almost nothing.
You keep trying to shoehorn your preferences on others. I have prime, but I barely watch prime videos so it's not a big deal to me that I have to AirPlay it. But I use Netflix multiple times a week so having that as a first class citizen on the Apple TV makes it far more useful to me.

Those other services you listed I don't use and don't plan on using either. What a weird argument. I use Apple Music as well, so the music search doesn't apply to me either.

And I think you already know why people use plex over xbmc so I'm not sure why I have to tell you again. The server-client setup allows streaming to different devices with no hassle about file format compatibility. I much prefer to manage the server through a web interface on my computer too.

datamage

It's weird to me that people keep saying this. Isn't it just that the software is "launch" or "1.0" software?

Most of the problems sound like things Apple could fix within the next 6 months, or aren't Apple's problem at all...

I should clarify. I don't feel the box itself is a 1.0 product, just the initial software/OS. I'm sure the niggling bits will be taken care of, eventually.

The Apple TV doesn't do universal/void search for Amazon Prime Video. Not to mention it doesn't even play the content. So I think I'd rather have Netflix with text search if it means I also get Amazon content too. Plus Netflix content has been in talks about being added to universal search for awhile now so who knows, it may happen which will make that point moot.

So where are you trying to go with this? Apple TV does iTunes, Netflix, Showtime, HBO, and Hulu. Fire TV does Amazon, HBO, Showtime, Hulu, Starz, Encore, Vevo, Crackle, and Popcorn Flix. Fire TV has more services with search results right now and has Amazon included which the Apple TV does not. The Fire TV lets you use XBMC/Kodi which the Apple TV will not. The Fire TV will let you output DTS which the Apple TV will not. There are plenty of advantages that the Fire TV has over the Apple TV at this point in time but like I said before, no single box is perfect, not even a fully stacked HTPC. Also, you know what works with Amazon's universal search that doesn't work on the Apple TV? Music.

I have pretty much the same setup with a central controlled media server that works with XBMC, but none of the limitations that Plex gives me so I don't see Plex's media server being some sort of perk because it nets me almost nothing.

The Fire TV doesn't output DTS. I've owned one and it's not even listed in the specs. They only list support for DD. Now if you use Kodi then it will get around the fact that Fire TV didn't pay the licensing fees to use DTS. Also as was posted in this thread a fork of Kodi is coming to Apple TV in the coming weeks via the App Store. It won't need to be side loaded. According to the guy developing Kodi it will also allow the output of DTS on Apple TV and support all the formats that you'd expect from Kodi.

I know you're not a Plex user, but for those who are Apple TV is a better option since the setup on a Fire TV doesn't allow for any sort of 5.1 surround sound at all through Plex. I'd have to dig up the exact post, but from what I remember there's something on Amazon's end that is preventing it and the Plex guys have reached out and it seems that Amazon wasn't helpful in resolving their problems.

I don't blame anyone for their choice of streaming boxes. Everyone has their own needs and wants. Hell, I had a 3rd gen Apple TV that I replaced with a Roku and then a Shield TV because the 3rd gen ATV was so limited. I have since gone back to this gen of Apple TV and have been quite impressed. I'm mainly a Plex user though, and those I do use Kodi, I've been using it less and less in my life over the past year. I will be interested to see the version of Kodi coming to Apple TV as well as how useful universal search is once third parties can implement it. What everyone needs to remember is that all streaming boxes are constantly evolving and that Apple TV is essentially 4 days old at this point. My Apple Store sold out, I know of other ones that did. I have a feeling that they sold more than even Apple thought they would. This hopefully means that more developers will be making really nice apps for it because it actually looks like it's a viable platform.

Tobor

Amazon content isn't a necessity for me. I'm fine with the workarounds or using another device.

What I can't live without is access to my iTunes content.

Everyone's needs are different.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Check your server. It's transcoding it to AC3 @ 640kbps. Apple TV does not passthrough anything other than Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Digital Plus 7.1.

Though, I haven't had much luck getting any of my blu rays that I've ripped to Dolby Digital Plus to actually produce any sound.

I double checked, and this is not correct. It is saying for Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (VC1, DCA audio) that it is direct play.

edit - just double checked for Snow White (H264, DCA audio) and that is also saying direct play. so it looks like plex is indeed decoding audio and passing it through uncompressed?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For Ultraviolet content, do you need a specific app to play that? Shame if it can't just work through iTunes like the old digital copies used to

Think I'm going to pick one up. Was hoping Xbox one cortana would deliver great universal search but that has been delayed until 2016 now, so I'll just try both and see which I prefer

Blackhead

Redarse
New Verge article - The new Apple TV moved to HDMI 1 in just four days

He's not wrong, I'm really surprised how quickly the Apple TV 4 has come together. Was hesitant to pre-order assuming there'd be app issues, but Apple seems to be getting them approved and out the door quickly.

Just now waiting for Amazon to get it together so I can ditch my slow and stuttery Fire Stick which I still need for Mr Robot (great show btw).

Yeah I don't know about hdmi 1 unless you're a cable cutter (and he's not, and he wants to watch NFL, for which Game Pass is a poor substitute compared to every other option),

Here's another take Apple TV review: A diamond in the rough - very rough via DaringFireball. and relevant perhaps to people outside the USA is mobilesyrup's review. I'd be buying this primarily for Plex (and mac airplay youtube streaming but nobody else seems to care about that :/). With the crippled text input options and restricted universal search options, this is not the best box for using Plex, certainly not for the high price Apple is asking for it. I'm not used to buying Apple devices based on potential but it seems that's what's being offered for the AppleTV (and the AppleWatch earlier this year).

Is there any benefit to buying this if I'm an Android user (with no plans to switch) that already has a Roku 3? Looking to upgrade from the Roku to something that better supports local media playback. This, the Nexus Player and FireTV are all tempting.

I have no doubt that AppleTV will get better app support in the long run, but not having access to Amazon might be a deal breaker for my wife. Would I be able to cast from my phone like I can to Chromecast, or is that an AirPlay with iOS devices only thing?

LiK

Is there any benefit to buying this if I'm an Android user (with no plans to switch) that already has a Roku 3? Looking to upgrade from the Roku to something that better supports local media playback. This, the Nexus Player and FireTV are all tempting.

I have no doubt that AppleTV will get better app support in the long run, but not having access to Amazon might be a deal breaker for my wife. Would I be able to cast from my phone like I can to Chromecast, or is that an AirPlay with iOS devices only thing?

personally, I bought it for Airplay. Apple TV does a better job with Youtube (Roku Youtube always looks like ass) and for GB Video Buddy.

Blackhead

Redarse

Airplay is Apple devices only.

dock

I wonder whether they'll every implement an Apple TV companion app for iOS. Typing on the TV-based keyboard is a nightmare, and often forces you to awkwardly type your password in front of the whole room.

Siri doesn't work for Apple Music, and kept complaining about 'Boat Jack Horseman' not being found.

So I'd like a better typing option.

Weetrick

I wonder whether they'll every implement an Apple TV companion app for iOS. Typing on the TV-based keyboard is a nightmare, and often forces you to awkwardly type your password in front of the whole room.

Siri doesn't work for Apple Music, and kept complaining about 'Boat Jack Horseman' not being found.

So I'd like a better typing option.

Remote by Apple
https://appsto.re/us/g198q.i

borghe

What about Categories?

no. only paid, free, and top grossing.

remember guys. The app store is only 4 days old. If they tried putting charts at the category level... some categories might only have like 2-3 actual apps (and then like 10-15 apps category-spamming)

I double checked, and this is not correct. It is saying for Charlie Brown Thanksgiving (VC1, DCA audio) that it is direct play.

edit - just double checked for Snow White (H264, DCA audio) and that is also saying direct play. so it looks like plex is indeed decoding audio and passing it through uncompressed?
It is not. Anything that Apple TV does not natively support, Plex transcodes. Apple TV is not able to decode lossless audio, DTS, Atmos, or VC-1. I would refresh the now playing screen and/or check the console log on your server.

This is a pretty good overview of what happens with audio: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1051331/#Comment_1051331

no. only paid, free, and top grossing.

remember guys. The app store is only 4 days old. If they tried putting charts at the category level... some categories might only have like 2-3 actual apps (and then like 10-15 apps category-spamming)
I have to ask...so? If I want to play a racing game, I don't care if there are only like 3 racing games on the market, I want to browse the full list of them so I can choose to buy one. Right now if I want to play a racing game, I have to go with the featured apps (I never really cared for Asphalt) or browse the top charts hoping to randomly run into a racing game. Which admittedly is quite a bit better than how it was at launch with only featured apps available for browsing.

As an android user who purchased an Apple tv I cant recommend it right now. Casting via chrome and android does not work with Apple tv. Or if it does it requires other software to be installed that is not first party.

Also Nexus player and Android TV are not getting a lot of support. And that's why I wanted an Apple TV, but after my weekend with the device I ran into a lot of incompatibility with how I was doing things previous with device that could easily cast from my phone/pc/browser. I have a Roku 3 and Fire TV and while both have ok support it's the quality that I wanted and Apple tv does have that, but it is not a perfect solution.

Maybe with Apples Android dev team getting things done we might see Airplay on other devices in the near future.

Plex is amazing by the way.

borghe

It is not. Anything that Apple TV does not natively support, Plex transcodes. Apple TV is not able to decode lossless audio, DTS, Atmos, or VC-1. I would refresh the now playing screen and/or check the console log on your server.

This is a pretty good overview of what happens with audio: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1051331/#Comment_1051331
I'll check the console log. "in theory" though is is absolutely possible that the app on Apple TV is decoding stuff. Apple TV can't decode DTS or VC-1, but there's no reason Plex app on Apple TV can't decode them.

I have to ask...so? If I want to play a racing game, I don't care if there are only like 3 racing games on the market, I want to browse the full list of them so I can choose to buy one. Right now if I want to play a racing game, I have to go with the featured apps (I never really cared for Asphalt) or browse the top charts hoping to randomly run into a racing game. Which admittedly is quite a bit better than how it was at launch with only featured apps available for browsing.
I mean I get "I want what I want. I don't care.".. the only thing I can offer up is that it potentially creates a negative user experience.. yes having lack of discoverability ALSO creates a negative user experience.. but maybe their thinking is "oh there are so many apps but I have to search for them" is a slightly less experience than "omg NO APPS!!!!!"? I mean I'm just throwing it out there.

regardless.... these are all nothing but early adopter problems. Problems that will disappear in the coming week or two. Which is the more humorous part to me in reading the comparisons and reviews. Not that the gripes aren't valid.. or that the box didn't launch seemingly a few months early according to past Apple quality.. but yeah... the gripes have already started being corrected, and likely day by day and week by week will continue to drop off.

Blackhead

Redarse
Right, but on my Roku, for example, I have the option to cast from my phone in many apps like I would on Chromecast. Just wasn't sure if I could cast in that manner - not directly mirroring my screen, but casting a video.

AppleTV doesn't support that for Android devices.

Enzom21

As an android user who purchased an Apple tv I cant recommend it right now. Casting via chrome and android does not work with Apple tv. Or if it does it requires other software to be installed that is not first party.

Also Nexus player and Android TV are not getting a lot of support. And that's why I wanted an Apple TV, but after my weekend with the device I ran into a lot of incompatibility with how I was doing things previous with device that could easily cast from my phone/pc/browser. I have a Roku 3 and Fire TV and while both have ok support it's the quality that I wanted and Apple tv does have that, but it is not a perfect solution.

Maybe with Apples Android dev team getting things done we might see Airplay on other devices in the near future.

Plex is amazing by the way.
I doubt Apple will ever make Airplay compatible with non-iOS devices. They want you to buy Apple products and they most likely consider this an exclusive feature.

Van Owen

Banned
That ZDnet reviews was pretty scathing.

I do like that they brought up that the UI is way to bright for dark rooms. Who wants that blinding white? Probably plebs that don't use Neogaf dark.

Checked it out at the Apple Store and it seemed pretty nice. So expensive in Canada though... If I can get a TSN and Sportsnet app for streaming sports on it, I'll buy one right away.

TheGrue

Just had a weird glitch where movie previews wouldn't play in surround (only stereo). Had to restart the Apple TV and they worked again.

I'll check the console log. "in theory" though is is absolutely possible that the app on Apple TV is decoding stuff. Apple TV can't decode DTS or VC-1, but there's no reason Plex app on Apple TV can't decode them.
It's certainly possible, since Infuse does lossless audio on iOS. But this 1.0 does not. But it requires not using Apple's very stable AVPlayer stack. I don't see them doing it, unless they can cleverly utilize the "Auto" setting to decode the audio on the server and send raw PCM/LPCM to the Apple TV for passtrough, and they have acknowledged this theory, but it didn't make the cut for 1.0.

I'm hopeful. But not very optimistic, tbh.

If you're bored and you get a chance, try encoding a Dolby Digital Plus file and see if it passes through. Can't get it to work on my system.

borghe

It's certainly possible, since Infuse does lossless audio on iOS. But this 1.0 does not. But it requires not using Apple's very stable AVPlayer stack. I don't see them doing it, unless they can cleverly utilize the "Auto" setting to decode the audio on the server and send raw PCM/LPCM to the Apple TV for passtrough, and they have acknowledged this theory, but it didn't make the cut for 1.0.

If you're bored and you get a chance, try encoding a Dolby Digital Plus file and see if it passes through. Can't get it to work on my system.

ok, thanks for the update. That's what I was originally thinking, just pass uncompressed audio... but damn... the bandwidth needed for 7.1 uncompressed? Maybe a hack with like 4 ALAC streams?

what's the easiest way to encode Dolby Digital Plus?

what's the easiest way to encode Dolby Digital Plus?
Rip any BluRay using MakeMKV, make sure the title has a 5.1 or 7.1 surround track. Use ffmpeg command line to transcode the audio. For any UNIX system the command would be something like:
ffmpeg -i "input.mkv" -vcodec copy -acodec eac3 "output.mkv"
That'll passthrough the video and transcode the audio to DD+ @ 448kbps.

nullref

Yeah, in my dreams they'd port some/all of the new playback engine they're developing for Plex Media Player (which can do things like software-decode DTS-HD to LPCM) to tvOS, but I don't see them being that ambitious.

You keep trying to shoehorn your preferences on others. I have prime, but I barely watch prime videos so it's not a big deal to me that I have to AirPlay it. But I use Netflix multiple times a week so having that as a first class citizen on the Apple TV makes it far more useful to me.

Those other services you listed I don't use and don't plan on using either. What a weird argument. I use Apple Music as well, so the music search doesn't apply to me either.

And I think you already know why people use plex over xbmc so I'm not sure why I have to tell you again. The server-client setup allows streaming to different devices with no hassle about file format compatibility. I much prefer to manage the server through a web interface on my computer too.

I'm not trying to shoehorn my preference anymore than you are by making voice search in Netflix the defining feature. It's not. It's one of many. I was addressing the notion that the ATV4 is looking to be the perfect/best box, and I don't think that's the case. I already said no box was perfect and each had their shortcomings, but I don't think the ATV4 is anywhere close to being on top yet as the box to pick. It's got a ton of weaknesses.

I get Plex is more aimed at people who have trouble setting up things. It's easier to setup, but it's ease is also its limitation. Plex has a lot of limitations and for some the ease of use is enough to ignore those weaknesses.That doesn't mean those problems don't exist in Plex.

The Fire TV doesn't output DTS. I've owned one and it's not even listed in the specs. They only list support for DD. Now if you use Kodi then it will get around the fact that Fire TV didn't pay the licensing fees to use DTS. Also as was posted in this thread a fork of Kodi is coming to Apple TV in the coming weeks via the App Store. It won't need to be side loaded. According to the guy developing Kodi it will also allow the output of DTS on Apple TV and support all the formats that you'd expect from Kodi.

Whether or not it's officially listed in the specs or not, I'm still getting DTS out of it and that's the most important part. When there's something on the Apple TV that allows you to output DTS, then that will no longer be an advantage. Right now, nothing does and we have yet to see how this port of Kodi is going to turn out on the Apple TV or if it will even be allowed in the app store even after it's stripped. We'll have to see what things had to be cut to even try to fit into Apple's criteria and how customizable it will still be at that point. I'm interested to see what comes out of it, but I'm also not holding my breath that this will turn out well too.

I know you're not a Plex user, but for those who are Apple TV is a better option since the setup on a Fire TV doesn't allow for any sort of 5.1 surround sound at all through Plex. I'd have to dig up the exact post, but from what I remember there's something on Amazon's end that is preventing it and the Plex guys have reached out and it seems that Amazon wasn't helpful in resolving their problems.

Another reason to not like Plex =) I've never had any trouble getting surround sound on any platform I've used XBMC/Kodi on. I understand this is an issue between Amazon and Plex though, and not necessarily Plex's fault, but none the less it's a weakness to the end user. But chalk this up to one of the many gotchas that happen when you pick any box since they all have caveats.

I don't blame anyone for their choice of streaming boxes. Everyone has their own needs and wants. Hell, I had a 3rd gen Apple TV that I replaced with a Roku and then a Shield TV because the 3rd gen ATV was so limited. I have since gone back to this gen of Apple TV and have been quite impressed. I'm mainly a Plex user though, and those I do use Kodi, I've been using it less and less in my life over the past year. I will be interested to see the version of Kodi coming to Apple TV as well as how useful universal search is once third parties can implement it. What everyone needs to remember is that all streaming boxes are constantly evolving and that Apple TV is essentially 4 days old at this point. My Apple Store sold out, I know of other ones that did. I have a feeling that they sold more than even Apple thought they would. This hopefully means that more developers will be making really nice apps for it because it actually looks like it's a viable platform.

I'm not blaming anyone for their choices. I'm striking down the notion that the Apple TV4 is somehow the closest to being the perfect box. It's not even close at this point. There are other boxes out there that still have significant advantages over an Apple TV4 right now.

borghe

When there's something on the Apple TV that allows you to output DTS, then that will no longer be an advantage.
would much rather have something that just outputs LPCM. I don't give a shit what lights are lit on my receiver. Arguably DTS-MA/Dolby TrueHD -> LPCM is a way better option than passing through DTS. No reason Apple TV 4 couldn't support this. It would just need a DTS-MA decoder in the app.

I'm not blaming anyone for their choices. I'm striking down the notion that the Apple TV4 is somehow the closest to being the perfect box. It's not even close at this point. There are other boxes out there that still have significant advantages over an Apple TV4 right now.

The notion isn't that Apple TV is best right now.. it's that it has the brightest future. At least that's all I've been saying..

1. Most prolific paid/for-profit development OS (by association)
2. Most powerful hardware
3. Biggest brand awareness

That's a killer combo. Yes right now Roku is better in an official capacity, and FireTV in a "how much you want to screw with it" capacity.. but something a lot are overlooking are that we are talking 4 days after launch, against devices that have been out over a year (or in Roku, many years). "bu-bu-bu that shouldn't matter. as a consumer I want what's best!" I mean there is plenty of merit to that.. but at the same time, whenever I buy ANY product, what's best "right now" is nowhere near as important as "how well will this hold up over time?" And given the proliferation of professional(-level) iOS development combined with the included hardware... well... let's have this conversation again in six months. "Well that's six months from now. Not now!!" Well yeah... and the device I am buying NOW I want to kick hella ass six months from now. Having the best device now only to watch it get its ass kicked later.. doesn't do me a whole ton of good.

thanks for the flex app. been using it. plays my mkv files. But for iOS, seems like you have to pay to watch video for more than 1 minute.

Man flex is so good. I like preview audio that plays when your on a file + the thumbnail pictures. I feel like giving them my money

borghe

thanks for the flex app. been using it. plays my mkv files. But for iOS, seems like you have to pay to watch video for more than 1 minute
yes. iOS requires a per device key (I believe it's per device). tvOS thankfully they've left it free (likely to ramp up adoption on tvOS)

Top Bottom