• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

TimFL

What are my options for extracting audio from the Apple TV to go into my audio setup? I'd like to be able to play music without the TV on. Does it support bluetooth out? How difficult is it to extract L+R analogue audio from it?

I know for sure that you can hook up a variety of devices (headsets etc) via bluetooth.

I trief "show me netflix movies" and a few other variations and it always told me no can do.
Haven't tried naming something with netflix in it yet, will do later when I give my parents a walkthrough.

I don't think it has to be something with Netflix literally in the name. I could've sworn I was able to do "Show me xxxx on xxxx service".

TimFL

I don't think it has to be something with Netflix literally in the name. I could've sworn I was able to do "Show me xxxx on xxxx service".

Doesn't work here. I use the german Siri though so could be that (it translates movie names or netflix properly though). I'm debating whether I should drive to the city real quick and get them an iPad Air 2 ontop of the ATV so they can use that for mirroring stuff via AirPlay? I checked the netflix app on my phone and it supports AirPlay.
I'd tell them to use their iPhone 6s each but they don't like messing around with the small screen (the Plus is too big as a phone according to them). An iPad Air 2 would be the perfect middle ground as a living room device to remotely control the ATV? My mom loves playing tablet games too so it'd be a win/win situation if I can get them to use the iPad for the ATV.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so the universal search is NOT open to all apps yet right? just a select few?

thats the number one feature to me. when every app can get that, im in

the API is open to all apps. However Siri will only return results from partnered apps for now. In theory, once apple turns off that limitation, apps that are using the API should just start working.

AFAIK this does not work.

I'm excited about all the improvements, particularly with search coz that's been a huge turnoff for me with my ATV3.

Also, in Netflix and Hulu it has the episode layouts isolated by season. Is that still the same or is it easier to navigate across seasons for a show now?

The Verge's review highlights some key improvements that I'm sure they'll tackle next, so part of me just wants to wait until next year's iteration.

the API is open to all apps. However Siri will only return results from partnered apps for now. In theory, once apple turns off that limitation, apps that are using the API should just start working.

So hows this work exactly if you wouldnt mind explaining?

Its open to all apps for JUST siri? So only voice commands?

The way i pictured it working (correct me if im wrong) is that, lets say I want to watch Avengers.

I check out avengers. It says its available to buy on itunes. Its on netflix, cool. Thats a partner app (i think). So I have it on plex too. The way im picturing it, it says i can watch it on plex too. Is that correct (i know theres no plex app yet)

AFAIK this does not work.

You can absolutely do

Watch Flash on Netflix or
Watch Pokemon on Hulu

and it WILL filter the results for that service.

Just saying Watch Netflix doesn't really work (Actually, it returns results for Netflix originals studio). You're not really specifying what to watch. You're essentially saying "Open Netflix, launch netflix, start netflix - all which actually work).

The way i pictured it working (correct me if im wrong) is that, lets say I want to watch Avengers.

I check out avengers. It says its available to buy on itunes. Its on netflix, cool. Thats a partner app (i think). So I have it on plex too. The way im picturing it, it says i can watch it on plex too. Is that correct (i know theres no plex app yet)

It's for partner apps at first and open to others later (I would guess beginning of 2016 when Siri gets upgraded with Apple Music and they fix other issues. Though it could be sooner in a .01 update) they will probably get more apps in the store and be able to categorize them and improve discovery.

borghe

how it works right now is you say "show me avengers", and it will show you the movie info card/screen for avengers. On that screen it will show you every service that has it (right now limited to the partner services). if you hit Play, it will ask you which service you want to open it in (though for Clone Wars, because I had a Netflix sub, and didn't own it on iTunes, play just took me right into Netflix)

according to documentation, yes this could work with plex also.. I'm not sure what's involved in matching up your metadata with apple's metadata (this seems to be the only secret sauce in the API so far), but the rest is just creating CSSearchableItem(s) with well defined CSSearchableItemAttributeSet(s), and once Apple flips the switch, "siri show me the avengers" should bring up your plex copy of avengers provided everything is tagged well and Plex implements it. Again, all of this is available to devs right now.. the only unknown part to me at this moment is how to tie that into Apple's TRULY universal search, which presumably operates out of metadata curated by apple(?)

You can absolutely do

Watch Flash on Netflix or
Watch Pokemon on Hulu

and it WILL filter the results for that service.

HA! hence why I said "afaik". I know media "filtering" is limited. So you can't say "show me jimmy stewart movies on netflix".. At least I am almost positive THAT won't work. In theory given the Core Spotlight API I'm reading over, it actually SHOULD be possible.. It just seems like it isdn't allowed yet(?)

Core Spotlight is actually really slick. That is going to be a HUGE differentiator for iOS and tvOS going forward.

Also for those unaware, many apps will actually give you small additional functionality (called TopShelf) if you put the app in the top row on Apple TV. Recently played lists. Recently added, etc. So give it a shot and it may actually determine what gets put in your top row.

holygeesus

Banned
Damn these screensavers are lovely. A phrase I never expected to say but it's true.

You would have thought though, that Apple would schedule the downloading of them at a time where you aren't watching something on Netflix. That was mildly annoying.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What are my options for extracting audio from the Apple TV to go into my audio setup? I'd like to be able to play music without the TV on. Does it support bluetooth out? How difficult is it to extract L+R analogue audio from it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZILONG-Extractor-Converter-TosLink-Version/dp/B010LRHNTW/

Generally. Not vouching for that specific model, have a look around for one that has good feedback and a price you're happy with.

also supposed to work with bluetooth headphones, so I wonder if you could use something like the Kinvio BT450 that I use in my car. BT receiver with a 3.5mm aux output so you can connect it to your existing setup.

edit: Has apple published a list of 'partners'? I know they came out with a few initially, but is that it until January or is there a chance others will come out sooner? (i.e plex really)

TheGrue

Enjoying my Apple TV so far. Picked one up yesterday. Mostly I got it for Netflix watching and Music streaming, but it got me thinking about what I could do to cut out DirecTV.

Ran into a ton of issues, none of which are really the fault of Apple TV, but I'll list out my beefs, just in case I'm either wrong or someone has a solution.

1) Hulu doesn't seem to stream in 5.1. It has all kinds of channels, but I get 5.1 from DirecTV and kind of stinks to have to go without if I decide to go with Hulu.

2) Lots of the network apps require you to have TV service. Kind of defeats the point of getting rid of DirecTV when I go to use the Disney XD app to watch Star Wars Rebels and it makes me sign in to a provider account.

3) MLS app is only for out of market games. I'm a Colorado Rapids season ticket holder (poor me) and their away games are on Altitude. The MLS app won't let me watch those due to black out restrictions and there's no way for me to get Altitude without having satellite or cable.

4) No way to get local news through the Apple TV. I could get rabbit ears, of course, but then the family would have to switch inputs and with my XBO, I've been able to basically streamline the whole TV process so that they just say "XBox On" and away they go. Can hit one button to turn on everything with the Apple TV remote, but then if they would have to switch inputs to get to the local channels, it would kill all the convenience.

5) My wife watches Project Runway. Seems like Hulu only goes to Season 12. Not sure I like paying 2.99 an episode for her to watch it. Would have to do some cost analysis to see how much savings we'd actually get if we have to include some a la carte shows. Honestly, the idea of paying the 2.99 an episode is also annoying in that they would never be watched past the one time and so paying to be able to keep an episode has no appeal. Also, have to pay the $6 a month for CBS access for Colbert.

I guess I had figured that the whole "cord cutting" thing had gotten more sophisticated, but seems like I need to jump through some hoops still. Like I mentioned, I guess I'll need to do some cost calculations for all the shows we watch to see if I can come out ahead and just live with some of the things I'll not be able to watch.

Guess Who

Banned
Enjoying my Apple TV so far. Picked one up yesterday. Mostly I got it for Netflix watching and Music streaming, but it got me thinking about what I could do to cut out DirecTV.

Ran into a ton of issues, none of which are really the fault of Apple TV, but I'll list out my beefs, just in case I'm either wrong or someone has a solution.

1) Hulu doesn't seem to stream in 5.1. It has all kinds of channels, but I get 5.1 from DirecTV and kind of stinks to have to go without if I decide to go with Hulu.

2) Lots of the network apps require you to have TV service. Kind of defeats the point of getting rid of DirecTV when I go to use the Disney XD app to watch Star Wars Rebels and it makes me sign in to a provider account.

3) MLS app is only for out of market games. I'm a Colorado Rapids season ticket holder (poor me) and their away games are on Altitude. The MLS app won't let me watch those due to black out restrictions and there's no way for me to get Altitude without having satellite or cable.

4) No way to get local news through the Apple TV. I could get rabbit ears, of course, but then the family would have to switch inputs and with my XBO, I've been able to basically streamline the whole TV process so that they just say "XBox On" and away they go. Can hit one button to turn on everything with the Apple TV remote, but then if they would have to switch inputs to get to the local channels, it would kill all the convenience.

5) My wife watches Project Runway. Seems like Hulu only goes to Season 12. Not sure I like paying 2.99 an episode for her to watch it. Would have to do some cost analysis to see how much savings we'd actually get if we have to include some a la carte shows. Honestly, the idea of paying the 2.99 an episode is also annoying in that they would never be watched past the one time and so paying to be able to keep an episode has no appeal. Also, have to pay the $6 a month for CBS access for Colbert.

I guess I had figured that the whole "cord cutting" thing had gotten more sophisticated, but seems like I need to jump through some hoops still. Like I mentioned, I guess I'll need to do some cost calculations for all the shows we watch to see if I can come out ahead and just live with some of the things I'll not be able to watch.

Rumor is Apple's working on a streaming TV service that includes local channels to come next year.

Matt

Hulu only streams out stereo. I was very annoyed when I found this out.

borghe

edit: Has apple published a list of 'partners'? I know they came out with a few initially, but is that it until January or is there a chance others will come out sooner? (i.e plex really)
currently Netflix, Hulu, HBO and Showtime.

No word on when that will be expanded. However I don't think the limitation is entirely artificial. As I mentioned earlier.. If you think about it (if you've used the box), Apple has gone to great lengths to ensure that media is returned uniformly. So one card/screen comes up if a movie is on say 2 or 3 of the services. When they open that up, to maintain the impressiveness of the unit (and it is impressive).. you'd think there'd need to be some sort of sanitizing of results or something.. so that (I know it's out there, but..) if three sites have Avengers, and two sites have THE Avengers, that you don't get 2+ cards/screens back for the same content.. because THAT imho is a low quality user experience.

nullref

One thing I'm curious about re: Plex is the feasibility of bringing some of the playback capabilities of their new stand-alone Plex Media Player to their tvOS app.

I'm likely to pick up this Apple TV for apps, streaming services, and general Apple ecosystem stuff, but my local media playback setup really needs replacement also. If I could meet my needs with an app instead of a separate box, that would obviously be great. I like the look of the Plex user experience, but I don't think I'm interested in running a transcoding server. I'd rather not be required to run a sufficiently-beefy server/NAS, and don't want the potential quality loss. (A simple metadata/library server, I'm fine with.)

Would it be possible to do client-side remuxing of MKVs, software decoding of DTS-HD MA to LPCM, etc. right on the Apple TV? Seems like it might be technically possible, but are they even interested in doing so? If not, I'd probably just settle for putting Plex Media Player (or Kodi) on a separate NUC-style box – which would be fine, but the more capable the Apple TV can be, the better.

holygeesus

Banned
One thing I'm curious about re: Plex is the feasibility of bringing some of the playback capabilities of their new stand-alone Plex Media Player to their tvOS app.

I'm likely to pick up this Apple TV for apps, streaming services, and general Apple ecosystem stuff, but my local media playback setup really needs replacement also. If I could meet my needs with an app instead of a separate box, that would obviously be great. I like the look of the Plex user experience, but I don't think I'm interested in running a transcoding server. I'd rather not be required to run a sufficiently-beefy server/NAS, and don't want the potential quality loss. (A simple metadata/library server, I'm fine with.)

Would it be possible to do client-side remuxing of MKVs, software decoding of DTS-HD MA to LPCM, etc. right on the Apple TV? Seems like it might be technically possible, but are they even interested in doing so? If not, I'd probably just settle for putting Plex Media Player (or Kodi) on a separate NUC-style box – which would be fine, but the more capable the Apple TV can be, the better.

This is why I am waiting to see what the VLC team give us. Ideally, I want to DLNA or SMB across my network so the ATV can read files from my WD MyBookLive and then it would genuinely be my all-in-one streaming solution. From what I am reading, Videolan have got the device to playback certain file types not natively supported by the ATV, but network capabilities haven't even been hinted at.

If Apple has any common sense, they will allow 3rd party apps to decode .mkvs and whatever else, via software, as it would make demand for these boxes even higher.

While there's no official Twitch viewer for the new Apple TV, the unofficial UnTwitched is pretty good for a buck:

Thankfully, developer Jermaine Jong has come to the rescue with the totally unofficial new Apple TV App UnTwitched. It's a buck and basically works as advertised, letting you both browse popular games and featured streams, as well as search for anything you want. There's no chat to speak of, but, that's arguably a good thing.

http://toucharcade.com/2015/11/02/untwitched-is-an-unofficial-twitch-client-for-the-new-apple-tv/

Took mine back. It's not a terrible device, but it also isn't remotely worth 150-200 dollars right now. Apple, much like with Apple Music, has a long long way to go to make it a viable product worthy of that steep price. Picked up a new Roku instead and it's so much better.

Phreaker

I wish there was a global watchlist. I am new to Apple TV and at first I was adding shows to "my watchlist" and then trying to figure out where "My Watchlist" was from the main menu. I was kind of hoping new episodes of things I wanted to watch would just show up there, kind of like an on-demand DVR. I think I'll forget to go and look/start each App to see if something new I want to watch is available.

Use the Lifetime App, it has the last few seasons, up to Season 13 for free, but the latest season you have to pay for if you are not a "TV subscriber". And yeah, $2.99 an episode seems expensive when compared to a service like CBS All Access for $6 a month.

Enzom21

There is going to be a fork of Kodi without python for the App Store.

SmOTg44.png

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238524&pid=2149330#pid2149330
MrMC said:
MrMC is a fork/rebrand/refactor of Kodi. All offending sins have been purged from the codebase. So some features of Kodi might not be present. This lets us get into the App Store, not only for TVOS but iOS and OSX as well. Our timeline is a few weeks, basics are up and stable. Just some minor issues to resolve.

Kodi itself would never get approved. Not for TVOS nor iOS or OSX. Too many sins. So even when Kodi gets ported to TVOS, the only ways to get on the physical device are;

a) self compile, install via xcode
b) ipa resign/repack install via xcode
c) ipwnstore or similar.

Eventually, you will be able to run Kodi on the new AppleTV. But the port is not trivial and MrMC fork has a month head start and I'm an expert at porting the code base (did the original ATV1, ATV2, iOS, and Android ports) and dealing with issues. Others known me as 'davilla'.

As soon as we enter the App Store, then all our private work becomes public and Kodi devs can start cherry-picking. Or they can start on their own version now, their choice.

We don't see Kodi as competition to MrMC fork. We are aiming at the 80 percent users that just want to play their local content without having to do flips and tricks to get there. Kodi can have the other 20 percent geeks and tweakers Smile

mrklaw

MrArseFace
currently Netflix, Hulu, HBO and Showtime.

No word on when that will be expanded. However I don't think the limitation is entirely artificial. As I mentioned earlier.. If you think about it (if you've used the box), Apple has gone to great lengths to ensure that media is returned uniformly. So one card/screen comes up if a movie is on say 2 or 3 of the services. When they open that up, to maintain the impressiveness of the unit (and it is impressive).. you'd think there'd need to be some sort of sanitizing of results or something.. so that (I know it's out there, but..) if three sites have Avengers, and two sites have THE Avengers, that you don't get 2+ cards/screens back for the same content.. because THAT imho is a low quality user experience.

Ah. Thinking about it I suppose Apple is doing the match at their end (to serve a pretty banner result) and then I guess it checks with partner apps if any of them have that content so it knows whether to display the banner and which services to list. So would apps need to register their metadata with the apple servers, or maybe it is matched on the device before display?

Will the plex app be a port of the ios app? It's coming very quickly for them to have done much else with it. Hopefully they'll update it more in the future - if they can get it to play more content natively (eg with a software decoder) then I might be able to move away from my Mac mini as a server and run the plex server directly on my unraid NAS.

So Plex app has gotten rejected a couple of times by Apple so far? Currently in review for their latest iteration?

where did you see this?

I saw the same thing but I'm not sure if it was on their forum or on Twitter. It was rejected for some technical detail and they fixed it. Should be up this week I hope

I'm on the Plex forums pretty frequently and they've been pretty transparent about the Apple TV release (much more so than they usually are) and they've said there that the got rejected twice for the way that they were linking back to their website from the app. They submitted a 3rd time last week and as of 2.5 hours ago they posted it is still in review.

There is going to be a fork of Kodi without python for the App Store.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238524&pid=2149330#pid2149330

Awesome. I will be very curious to see how this ends up working out. If this is actually a fairly functional version of Kodi than really the only major thing missing from Apple TV will be Amazon's app. Plus I can finally delete Kodi from my gaming PC and fianlly have that go back to being a gaming PC only.

Will the plex app be a port of the ios app? It's coming very quickly for them to have done much else with it. Hopefully they'll update it more in the future - if they can get it to play more content natively (eg with a software decoder) then I might be able to move away from my Mac mini as a server and run the plex server directly on my unraid NAS.

They haven't released any photos or big details about the app (they never do until an app is actually released), but they have made it sound like it has been built specifically for the Apple TV. That's not to say that they didn't have some code base they could use from the iOS app, but it doesn't necessarily sound like it's a straight port.

borghe

Ah. Thinking about it I suppose Apple is doing the match at their end (to serve a pretty banner result) and then I guess it checks with partner apps if any of them have that content so it knows whether to display the banner and which services to list. So would apps need to register their metadata with the apple servers, or maybe it is matched on the device before display?

nah... I mean there is some answer there.. but you figure there are going to be things on other services that are NOT on Apple.. it happens.. Heck, a movie I bought from Apple last year was delisted (and subsequently corrupted.... grrr...) but it's still available on YouTube/Google and Amazon. This stuff should still come back in Spotlight even if not on iTunes (which you'd think would mean apple wouldn't have meta for it)

holygeesus

Banned
Well holy moly there already is an app on the store that allows SMB/DLNA/Plex playback from a NAS - seems very rudimentary, but can confirm it decodes video files on the fly. No fast-forward or resuming of playback, so it is of limited functionality, but it is a start, and shows that Apple may be more lenient to what they allow on their store.

it's called VideoExplorer

giga

Well holy moly there already is an app on the store that allows SMB/DLNA/Plex playback from a NAS - seems very rudimentary, but can confirm it decodes video files on the fly. No fast-forward or resuming of playback, so it is of limited functionality, but it is a start, and shows that Apple may be more lenient to what they allow on their store.

Vlc is on iOS. I don't think they care about software decoders.

borghe

??? Apple hasn't been super aggressive on removing media players from iOS. I know people want to believe that, but almost all media players that have had approval issues came because of technical rules, not media playback (or even piracy).

There are plenty of basic DLNA/SMB/etc media players for iOS.. have been for years. Stuff like Kodi comes down to security and whatnot.. not because apple doesn't want people to stream.

Correct. The issue always comes down to security or rights/privileges apps are allowed on the OS.. apple doesn't care about blocking an app just because it streams or decodes.

holygeesus

Banned

I see. I guess it was just presumption on my part, that they wouldn't want any competition for their own iTunes store in that regard. It makes you wonder then why they don't offer such support natively, and allow playback of a greater variety of video files out of the box.

borghe

I see. I guess it was just presumption on my part, that they wouldn't want any competition for their own iTunes store in that regard. It makes you wonder then why they don't offer such support natively, and allow playback of a greater variety of video files out of the box.

ha, you just said it. They don't want to inhibit developer support of that stuff, but they certainly aren't going to offer first party alternatives to their own store.

I mean Google and Amazon don't even do that. :p

I just got mine, mainly as way to turn the bedroom TV into a smart tv (and as a MBP/iPhone user).

Very pleased with it, my only complaint is that the apps are lacking (i'm in the UK). Was disappointed to see that, after years of purchasing apps (i've been an iphone user since the 3G) only six carried over. As it stands though, it's great for Netflix and Youtube and the iPhone mirroring is neat (haven't tried the MBP yet).

Looking forward to the app library (hopefully) vastly expanding.

borghe

fwiw, as of last night (three days of release, with only one business day), according to SlideToPlay, the app store is at 1,025 apps currently. Amazon states FireTV app store at ~3,500 apps.

excited... my USB-C cable is waiting for me at home.. time to hook this up and start playing around (including loading Provenance)

holygeesus

Banned
fwiw, as of last night (three days of release, with only one business day), according to SlideToPlay, the app store is at 1,025 apps currently. Amazon states FireTV app store at ~3,500 apps.

excited... my USB-C cable is waiting for me at home.. time to hook this up and start playing around (including loading Provenance)

It is a major shame that Apple don't make the app store look more populated then, by adding more access to the content, as it looks utterly sparse the way they currently present it. By making people search via the cumbersome controller, to find everything, they are severely limiting it's content.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah there are plenty of software decoders on the iOS store. I tend to avoid them due to battery usage though, but on Apple TV that wouldn't be an issue.

Sean

Banned
Plex is released (sorta), go to your purchased list and you should see it in there. Doesn't show up in search or in the storefront yet. Not sure it's been officially approved yet but you can download it now if you're quick (and already own it on other iDevices).

It would be cool to see Vudu (or some UltraViolet) app get on the App Store. I've given up on Amazon Instant being available on it for now. Also hopefully Twitch gets an official app soon.

There's PCalc on it too if you ever feel like calculating.

borghe

alright...... may give plex a look. I've never used any of the transcode stuff... just because I've never been inclined enough to a) rip my content and b) my primary streamers (PS4 and Apple TV 3) couldn't easily work with it..

So here's my question. Can I just
1. rip a blu-ray with handbrake with little to no transcoding, then
2. easily play it on the new plex app?

Screenshots? Any voice support at all?

unlikely. Apple doesn't have siri opened up to anything right now.

alright...... may give plex a look. I've never used any of the transcode stuff... just because I've never been inclined enough to a) rip my content and b) my primary streamers (PS4 and Apple TV 3) couldn't easily work with it..

So here's my question. Can I just
1. rip a blu-ray with handbrake with little to no transcoding, then
2. easily play it on the new plex app?

Don't use handbrake. Use Makemkv. It makes ripping Blu Rays stupidly easy and almost one click and go type deal. You just load it up, pop in the disc, select what you want to rip on the disc, usually just the movie, and if want select which audio and subtitle tracks and hit the button to go and it'll do a straight untouched rip into a mkv container with all the audio and subtitles.

Top Bottom