• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Might give this a shot today, just need to pickup a USB Type C cable on the way home. Does it work with bluetooth controllers like the 8bitdo SNES30?

Anyone know any local stores that actually carry this cable? I'd like to play tomorrow, but I went to Best Buy and they only had type c to type a (female). I know i can order it from Amazon, but I'm impatient.

mackaveli

I;m trying to build provenance on my Apple TV but when I try and run it in xcode it says "could not find developer disk image"

I got xcode 7.4 beta from Apple. What am I doing wrong?

thanks.

I've been trying to side load Provenance but I keep getting this error "An App ID with Identifier 'com.jamsoftonline.ProvenanceTV' is not available. Please enter a different string." Already changed the bundled identifier several times and running it again.

Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind I found what was wrong, in Xcode in the target menu I had changed the bundle identifier for Provenance and not for ProvenanceTV.

ayeorkean

The new Netflix app is such a functional downgrade.
New my list vs old.
apple-tv-4-4.png

img_2819.jpg

MrMephistoX

I've been trying to side load Provenance but I keep getting this error "An App ID with Identifier 'com.jamsoftonline.ProvenanceTV' is not available. Please enter a different string." Already changed the bundled identifier several times and running it again.

Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind I found what was wrong, in Xcode in the target menu I had changed the bundle identifier for Provenance and not for ProvenanceTV.

Do you need to have an apple developer account to use it ?

HUELEN10

Does Provenance have any overscan compensation settings? The Apple TV itself sadly doesn't have system-wide overscan compensation.

mackaveli

Does anyone here buy iTunes codes online for cheap? I found a site selling for two bucks to like four. Anyone try th we before?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope plex updates their app with the option to tweak the top shelf. I'd much prefer to have 5 'on deck' items rather than the current 3 + 3 'recently added'. I almost always watch TV from the on deck view and it is easy to have more than 3 shows in play at one time.

Guess Who

Banned
The new Netflix app is such a functional downgrade.

The Hulu one has the same problem.

There are a lot of steps backwards taken by the ATV4 UI, to be honest. It's super disappointing to me that they spent three years developing a new Apple TV and hyping it up and this is what we get. The system UI is worse, Netflix and Hulu's apps are worse, the Computers app isn't properly reading the metadata on some of my video files that the ATV3 handled just fine (some of my videos' chapters don't work, some don't show their descriptions). No Remote app, no keyboard support. In general it's just been buggier and crashier than my ATV3 ever was.

But hey, at least we got a little parallax effect on the home screen icons! Isn't that something?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Plex channels are great - iplayer works fine on apple TV through plex channels. UI is a bit rubbish as the programs are just lists of text, but the playback quality is fantastic and it even has live TV channels through it.

Going to check the other channels too as I'd been ignoring them recently because I'd just use the iplayer etc app directly on the ipad.

giga

Netflix's UI downgrade is the result of Apple relinquishing design control over apps with tvOS. That's all on Netflix.

Guess Who

Banned
Netflix's UI downgrade is the result of Apple relinquishing design control over apps with tvOS. That's all on Netflix.

I mean, you're right, but at the end of the day I don't care whose fault it is, I just care that the newer Apple TV provides me a worse experience for Netflix than my old one, and that reflects badly on the newer Apple TV.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, you're right, but at the end of the day I don't care whose fault it is, I just care that the newer Apple TV provides me a worse experience for Netflix than my old one, and that reflects badly on the newer Apple TV.

That's really bizarre logic to me. If you download a mobile app from the app store that you don't like the design of, does that reflect poorly on your iPhone or Android phone?

Not to mention, at least on the ATV4, if enough people feel the same way you do, then Netflix and Hulu will be pressured to improve their design (and have the ability to). If you don't like the design of an app on the ATV3, you're out of luck.

Blackhead

Redarse
*snip*
There are a lot of steps backwards taken by the ATV4 UI, to be honest. It's super disappointing to me that they spent three years developing a new Apple TV and hyping it up and this is what we get...

*snip*

The rumor hype suggested that AppleTV 4th gen would also be a homekit hub and include the integrated TV service. I'm still holding out judgement/hope that a UI revolution will come with the TV service. This app/publisher silo situation is very disappointing to me. Imagine opening up iTunes and all your music is segregated into sections based on the music label which released it; that insanity is what we're still dealing with on AppleTV.

Guess Who

Banned
That's really bizarre logic to me. If you download a mobile app from the app store that you don't like the design of, does that reflect poorly on your iPhone or Android phone?

People point to the quality and availability of certain apps all the time to say that you should buy one phone over another! If an app I depend on has more features and better design on iPhone than Android, it makes me more inclined to want an iPhone. Is it necessarily Google or the phone manufacturer's fault the app is better on iPhone? Doesn't matter. I still am going to like the iPhone more than the Android if the apps and features I like are better on the iPhone.

My personal opinion is that certain core apps - specifically, Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Go/Now - should have their designs dictated by Apple and they should've been bundled with the Apple TV instead of separate downloads, just as they were on the Apple TV 3. Letting these companies have free reign over their apps has resulted in a worse user experience.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
People point to the quality and availability of certain apps all the time to say that you should buy one phone over another! If an app I depend on has more features and better design on iPhone than Android, it makes me more inclined to want an iPhone. Is it necessarily Google or the phone manufacturer's fault the app is better on iPhone? Doesn't matter. I still am going to like the iPhone more than the Android if the apps and features I like are better on the iPhone.

Maybe it's just semantics, but to me none of what you described has anything to do with Apple or Google, iPhone or Android. It's about the developers and the developer ecosystem, so it's poorly worded IMO to say that it reflects badly on the device itself. The device itself can't change or improve. Apps can (and do, all the time!). Not to mention you're judging an entire device and platform based on literally 2 apps.

My personal opinion is that certain core apps - specifically, Netflix, Hulu, and HBO Go/Now - should have their designs dictated by Apple and they should've been bundled with the Apple TV instead of separate downloads, just as they were on the Apple TV 3. Letting these companies have free reign over their apps has resulted in a worse user experience.

Has letting all of these companies on phones and tablets have free reign over their apps resulted in a worse user experience?

The device has been out for like a week. You really think they'll just sit on their initial designs and not iterate? That's the entire point of independent app development. Instead of Apple holding them hostage with infrequent "official" updates and a specific design mandate, they can actually listen to their customers and release updates as frequently as they'd like.

giga

While giving control back to Apple would ensure a consistent experience with the system, it would also mean much slower app updates and feature adoption. Tradeoffs..

Guess Who

Banned
Maybe it's just semantics, but to me none of what you described has anything to do with Apple or Google, iPhone or Android. It's about the developers and the developer ecosystem, so it's poorly worded IMO to say that it reflects badly on the device itself. The device itself can't change or improve. Apps can (and do, all the time!). Not to mention you're judging an entire device and platform based on literally 2 apps.

Well, no, I have my share of problems with all sorts of other aspects of the Apple TV 4, too. I think the UI looks worse, I hate the trackpad, text input is awful, Siri is unreliable, I could go on. But in any case, Netflix and Hulu are essential functions of any streaming box. It's like shipping a smartphone with a shitty web browser or email client. At least on smartphones, though, there are plenty of third party options for web browsers or email clients. No one else can make a Netflix or Hulu client except Netflix and Hulu.

The device has been out for like a week. You really think they'll just sit on their initial designs and not iterate? That's the entire point of independent app development. Instead of Apple holding them hostage with infrequent "official" updates and a specific design mandate, they can actually listen to their customers and release updates as frequently as they'd like.

I do think they'll sit on these designs. For instance, the Netflix UI is the same one they've used on other streaming devices for ages. They are clearly happy with it.

Blackhead

Redarse

Has letting all of these companies on phones and tablets have free reign over their apps resulted in a worse user experience?

While I would agree with Guess Who that there is a difference in ecosystems, I would place part of the blame at Apple's feet. Apple and Google publish design guidelines for apps that run on their platforms (and furthermore Apple reviews and bans poor apps from their store). Apple and Google provide the development tools for creating those apps. If the many Apple TV apps are not meeting the base level of UX experience of other platforms then both Apple and developers can do better. (Sidenote, I really wish we had reviewers knowledgeable about UX design reviewing and critiquing these platforms..)

Apple TV Human Interface Guidelines
Designing for Android TV

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I do think they'll sit on these designs. For instance, the Netflix UI is the same one they've used on other streaming devices for ages. They are clearly happy with it.

1) Well in that case, there's probably a reason for that (unless they don't do any kind of usability testing or customer surveys). I realize that doesn't help you since you're not a fan, but at least it provides an understandable rationale.

2) If the design is the same as every other streaming box except the ATV3, that makes it even more bizarre to me to call out the ATV4 specifically about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If the many Apple TV apps are not meeting the base level of UX experience of other platforms then both Apple and developers can do better

Right, but as Guess Who said above, the Netflix UI is the same on the ATV4 as it is on other streaming devices, so that doesn't apply here.

mackaveli

I got Provenance working and it's pretty sweet.

Just a couple of quick questions.

1.) Is there a way to figure out how much space your library is taking up?
2.) When you delete stuff by trashing it by connecting to the IP address is that actually deleting it from the Apple TV?
3.) Is there a way to tell how much space is left on the Apple TV?

Thanks,

Edit - does provenance get updates to the build? If so can you just rebuild it on Xcode and that doesn't affect your library or save states?

number11

It's weird.. The Netflix app is now the same design as every other device, yet it feels worse.

The only thing I immediately notice compared with the ps4 app is the gap between icons (Apple TV has larger gaps).. Is there anything else?

While I would agree with Guess Who that there is a difference in ecosystems, I would place part of the blame at Apple's feet. Apple and Google publish design guidelines for apps that run on their platforms (and furthermore Apple reviews and bans poor apps from their store). Apple and Google provide the development tools for creating those apps. If the many Apple TV apps are not meeting the base level of UX experience of other platforms then both Apple and developers can do better. (Sidenote, I really wish we had reviewers knowledgeable about UX design reviewing and critiquing these platforms..)

Designing for Android TV

Those are just guidelines. Apple has never enforced them.

Even if they did, what do you expect Apple to do? Say no to Netflix? Their box would be DOA.

Netflix has, in Apple's eyes, every right to put out a substandard app. But I'd expect it's more complicated than that. Netflix is responsible for their apps at the end of the day. I'd expect to see improvements to tvOS, but holding Apple responsible for a poorer Netflix experience isn't really reasonable.

Quasar

Yeah. And I think having a consistent interface across platforms is a good idea, just that I think their UI design needs some refinement. This UI has been in place for years so you'd think they would have plenty of data/feedback on how to improve it.

As for people asking for Apple to forcing app makers into an Apple-y design, I guess they would also be in favour of other platform holders doing the same (like MS and Google forcing Apple to make their apps the way those platform holders do things) with respect to Apple apps. Ironically Apple ignoring material and android with their Apple Music app is one of my fears, just like they did Windows traditions with iTunes.

Personally I'm glad Apple allows companies to make their own UI designs on iOS. But then I've always kind of railed against Apples one true way approach to things.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thrilled to have most of my MakeMKV workflow down. Rip video, rip the top DTS-MA audio (not sure why it always defaults to the 5.1 track). Usually rip and DD tracks (commentary usually). And English sub tracks. Video is usually encoded to H264 these days, so as long as the Apple TV is on my 5Ghz network I can select 40Mbps and get native video playback (no transcoding). Hoping that Plex adds transcoding to eac3 soon. I tried modifying the tvos.xml file on my Mac but it must have broken the .app bundle because plex stopped working.......

I got Provenance working and it's pretty sweet.

Just a couple of quick questions.

1.) Is there a way to figure out how much space your library is taking up?
2.) When you delete stuff by trashing it by connecting to the IP address is that actually deleting it from the Apple TV?
3.) Is there a way to tell how much space is left on the Apple TV?

Thanks,

Edit - does provenance get updates to the build? If so can you just rebuild it on Xcode and that doesn't affect your library or save states?
Been a while since I've done iOS development, but if I remember, yes your ROMs will be fine. It only overwrites files and binaries as part of the source code. So any saved/generated files from the app don't get blown away unless you delete the app.

Regarding 3, not from the tvOS UI that I've seen.

Regarding 2, if you mean from the web interface to Provenance, yes. If you delete it from that "web page" you are deleting it from the Provenance sandbox (file system).

While I would agree with Guess Who that there is a difference in ecosystems, I would place part of the blame at Apple's feet. Apple and Google publish design guidelines for apps that run on their platforms

Designing for Android TV
I suggest you read those guidelines. Netfix, Hulu and even HBO (which is a substantial redesign) all adhere to the tvml templates. It doesn't fall at all at Apple's feet. Even more than that.... Sadly there are reasons Netflix for example is worse. The old UI was very much about giving you direct control over what you found and watched. Netflix really doesn't want that. They would much rather your watch what they push and promote. They pay a lot of money for that stuff and want to get value from it. This is why your list is the very last entry on the UI (usually 30+ rows down). It has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with Netflix. Same thing with Hulu. Both UIs are worse, and it all comes down to marketing what they want you to watch. However, both apps are WELL WITHIN Apple's interface best practices and all use the standard tvml templates.

Guess Who

Banned
The fundamental problem really boils down to: Netflix and Hulu are, for many people including myself, critically important parts of the Apple TV experience, even moreso than iTunes itself. And Apple has left the quality and user experience of a very important part of their product in the hands of people who don't give a shit. That seems like a very un-Apple thing to do.

Not that I trust the Apple TV team to do better at this point. Even Apple's own software has regressed in a lot of ways on the new Apple TV. This is clearly an Apple B-team product. Most of the people at Apple with an understanding of UI seem to be on the Mac team.

mackaveli

Thrilled to have most of my MakeMKV workflow down. Rip video, rip the top DTS-MA audio (not sure why it always defaults to the 5.1 track). Usually rip and DD tracks (commentary usually). And English sub tracks. Video is usually encoded to H264 these days, so as long as the Apple TV is on my 5Ghz network I can select 40Mbps and get native video playback (no transcoding). Hoping that Plex adds transcoding to eac3 soon. I tried modifying the tvos.xml file on my Mac but it must have broken the .app bundle because plex stopped working.......

Been a while since I've done iOS development, but if I remember, yes your ROMs will be fine. It only overwrites files and binaries as part of the source code. So any saved/generated files from the app don't get blown away unless you delete the app.

Regarding 3, not from the tvOS UI that I've seen.

Regarding 2, if you mean from the web interface to Provenance, yes. If you delete it from that "web page" you are deleting it from the Provenance sandbox (file system).

I suggest you read those guidelines. Netfix, Hulu and even HBO (which is a substantial redesign) all adhere to the tvml templates. It doesn't fall at all at Apple's feet. Even more than that.... Sadly there are reasons Netflix for example is worse. The old UI was very much about giving you direct control over what you found and watched. Netflix really doesn't want that. They would much rather your watch what they push and promote. They pay a lot of money for that stuff and want to get value from it. This is why your list is the very last entry on the UI (usually 30+ rows down). It has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with Netflix. Same thing with Hulu. Both UIs are worse, and it all comes down to marketing what they want you to watch. However, both apps are WELL WITHIN Apple's interface best practices and all use the standard tvml templates.

Thanks.

For 2 - yeah I was deleting stuff on the web interface and just wanted to make sure. Also there's no way to delete the games in the actual app? Couldn't find any button combo.

Quasar

I suggest you read those guidelines. Netfix, Hulu and even HBO (which is a substantial redesign) all adhere to the tvml templates. It doesn't fall at all at Apple's feet. Even more than that.... Sadly there are reasons Netflix for example is worse. The old UI was very much about giving you direct control over what you found and watched. Netflix really doesn't want that. They would much rather your watch what they push and promote. They pay a lot of money for that stuff and want to get value from it. This is why your list is the very last entry on the UI (usually 30+ rows down). It has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with Netflix.

It weird. For me the TVOS version has 'continue' and 'my list' as the top two as it does on AndroidTV. And thats a sensible order imo.

Looking over at the PS4, the order is My List, Recently Added, Trending, and New Releases.

I do kind of wish there was some user control over the section order. Then I'd probably have 'Continue', 'My List', 'Recently Added' and 'New Releases' as the top 4.

MrMephistoX

Worse? Personally I think the Siri search ability makes up for it. It's awesome to be able to just say "Wet Hot American Summer" and find your options on ITunes, Netflix and Hulu.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yeah, Siri actually works around some of the usability problems in Hulu and Netflix. Honestly the thing I miss most from Netflix are the suggestions at the bottom when browsing movies. I used those CONSTANTLY, but again I know Apple TV (3) was the only UI to have that. Sucks that they're gone. I know Siri search offers a similar feature, but again that is across Apple's database which means I don't know if it's on a service I have or if it's only for purchase.

mackaveli

I tried getting Plex to work but it won't recognize my Home computer. It says it needs to be updated?

I download the update and it still says it needs to be updated.

Any help / suggestions?

I love that I can control my sound bar volume and turn on the tv with the control, but I have to look into the possibility of also having the control turn on/off everything (tv, apple tv, and sound bar). I think I need to connect an HDMI cable from the sound bar to the tv. I currently only have an optical cable bridging the two.

holygeesus

Banned
Video is usually encoded to H264 these days, so as long as the Apple TV is on my 5Ghz network I can select 40Mbps and get native video playback (no transcoding).

Can I ask why you don't use the 'Unlimited 1080p' quality setting i.e. the very highest?

segasonic

How come you cannot use Siri for text input? Am I doing it wrong?

The onscreen keyboard is a joke. Let's spread out the letters as far apart as possible so that it's a pain in the ass to reach them but it looks WAY cooler.

How come you cannot use Siri for text input? Am I doing it wrong?

The onscreen keyboard is a joke. Let's spread out the letters as far apart as possible so that it's a pain in the ass to reach them but it looks WAY cooler.

Text input via voice isn't available. Might be added in the future.

The keyboard or key line does indeed suck but I got used to it. I set the touchpad speed to fast and easy to got used to the inertial speed. If you tap the top down left right sides you can move one space like with the old remote.

Hopefully they add support for Bluetooth keyboard or at least update the Remote app soon.

Is AirPlay always super finicky? (First Apple TV.) For example, I'm trying to watch Giant Bomb's extra life livestream, so I connect my phone or iPad via AirPlay, start the video, and it plays fullscreen on the tv for about ten frames before the ATV entirely drops the AirPlay connection.

Top Bottom