• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Guitar Hero Live on Apple TV notes that it "REQUIRES the Bluetooth GUITAR CONTROLLER available from your local retailer", but Apple won't afford the same luxury to other games?

I get that the guitar accessory is unique, but seems very hypocritical on Apple's part.

MrMephistoX

Spoke about this further up the thread:

The Verge | Apple TV gaming is full of problems and potential

Hoping enough media/devs complain to apple about it that they change their policy. Lots of potential.

I don't know if it's Apple restricting the way the remote can be used or if lack of awareness on the part of developers is the issue. Seems like it should be a natural fit to just flip the controller horizontally like a Wii remote and then use the buttons for gameplay and the trackpad for movement unless the remote is simply not capable of doing that due to hardware limitations.

Guitar Hero Live on Apple TV notes that it "REQUIRES the Bluetooth GUITAR CONTROLLER available from your local retailer", but Apple won't afford the same luxury to other games?

I get that the guitar accessory is unique, but seems very hypocritical on Apple's part.

Oh, so that actually uses the guitar? Can you even buy that thing on its own? And is Guitar Hero Live on Apple TV the same as the console version?

Lots of questions but I am really curious about this.

I got a SteelSeries Nimbus controller but have not found too many games that best use it. I wish the thumb sticks were buttons too (to be like the PS4). But I guess that's the specs Apple laid out for their game controllers.

Right now I can only see myself using it for emulation. Too bad about the non-clickable thumbsticks. That's a standard these days.

Oh, so that actually uses the guitar? Can you even buy that thing on its own? And is Guitar Hero Live on Apple TV the same as the console version?

Lots of questions but I am really curious about this.

Yes, there's an iOS version of the GH hardware:

91jdHr70u2L._SL1500_.jpg

This is the screen you get when you launch the Apple TV app:

CThAEbPWwAAte0L.jpg

Yes, there's an iOS version of the GH hardware:

This is the screen you get when you launch the Apple TV app:

CThAEbPWwAAte0L.jpg

I always assumed it was some sort of mobile version of the game. Not the full product.

Yeah, if they are willing to make an exception for one app they will probably do it for more. It's only a matter of time.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I always assumed it was some sort of mobile version of the game. Not the full product.

Yeah, if they are willing to make an exception for one app they will probably do it for more. It's only a matter of time.

One can hope, though they haven't been overly consistent about a lot of things on iOS from developer to developer.

dock

I've got my Apple TV Siri remote operating the volume control of my external sound bar, which is great.
Is there any way to teach it to turn it on and off?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I got my Nimbus controller today. Only tried it with Asphalt, and really liked it. Thankfully I'm very insensitive to framerate issues and rarely notice it even in games where people complain about it a lot. :D

hardcastlemccormick--You can go into options and turn off auto accelerate in Asphalt. It makes the right trigger the accelerator.

I definitely want to check out Oceanhorn when I have time. I picked up Galaxy on Fire: Manticore Rising the other day too. It's fun once you start to get used to the motion controls. I do wish it had controller support though.

I got my Nimbus controller today. Only tried it with Asphalt, and really liked it. Thankfully I'm very insensitive to framerate issues and rarely notice it even in games where people complain about it a lot. :D

hardcastlemccormick--You can go into options and turn off auto accelerate in Asphalt. It makes the right trigger the accelerator.

I definitely want to check out Oceanhorn when I have time. I picked up Galaxy on Fire: Manticore Rising the other day too. It's fun once you start to get used to the motion controls. I do wish it had controller support though.

Nice tip, thank you.

Oceanhorn looks great in 1080p60. Some sort of anti aliasing or super sampling so it's very clean. The close ups make the 3DS era geometry look dated but when it's pulled back the lighting is spectacular.

I got used to using the control stick in Oceanhorn and now I'm getting into it but I still think it needs a little accelleration on the character movement.

I just can't enjoy Galaxy on Fire though, which is a shame. I really like gof2hd.

Guess Who

Banned
Asphalt 8 is trying to run at native 1080p right now and it runs like shit because of it. Oceanhorn can pull off 1080p/60 because it's much simpler, but man Asphalt really needs to pull back to 720p.

Asphalt 8 is trying to run at native 1080p right now and it runs like shit because of it. Oceanhorn can pull off 1080p/60 because it's much simpler, but man Asphalt really needs to pull back to 720p.

That doesn't make any sense. Asphalt 8 runs great on my iPad Air which has a greater-than-1080p resolution and a weaker chip.

ngower

Is there a consensus on getting optical audio out yet, or are people just using adapters until something better comes along? Cause I'm on the fence about grabbing the new one as I use optical audio out to my DAC and don't really want to buy a more expensive box that can't do what I'd consider an essential feature of most A/V units.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a consensus on getting optical audio out yet, or are people just using adapters until something better comes along? Cause I'm on the fence about grabbing the new one as I use optical audio out to my DAC and don't really want to buy a more expensive box that can't do what I'd consider an essential feature of most A/V units.

The ATV has no optical out so the only option is a HDMI audio extractor if you need optical audio. They aren't that expensive.

ngower

The ATV has no optical out so the only option is a HDMI audio extractor if you need optical audio. They aren't that expensive.

Is there any compression or noise or anything of that sort? I like to limit how many points my A/V go through.

It all seems silly why they excluded optical audio. It's not like it's obsolete or some new alternative has come (I know HDMI Audio is a big thing, but optical is still far from dead).

dock

A quick warning: the first Windows Update seems to take hours and hours! Don't run the installer if you need to use it anytime soon.

Downloading is fast enough, but the actual updating is stuck on 12% and it looks like I won't get to use the SP4 tonight at all! 😓 a pretty crummy first evening with it! I'm so glad I have my trusty iPad mini 2!

A quick warning: the first Windows Update seems to take hours and hours! Don't run the installer if you need to use it anytime soon.

Downloading is fast enough, but the actual updating is stuck on 12% and it looks like I won't get to use the SP4 tonight at all! 😓 a pretty crummy first evening with it! I'm so glad I have my trusty iPad mini 2!

huh?

giga

Shit thanks for the heads up ugh Microsoft 💀🔫

Enzom21

Wrong thread?

Quasar

Is there any compression or noise or anything of that sort? I like to limit how many points my A/V go through.

It all seems silly why they excluded optical audio. It's not like it's obsolete or some new alternative has come (I know HDMI Audio is a big thing, but optical is still far from dead).

Well given the limits on audio in the AppleTV (limited to 48KHz and no support for DTS or Dolby True HD) I can't imagine there any impact. I guess any impacts would be on the quality of the splitter hardware.

I was just about to get a Surface too. Glad I got this Apple TV instead.

iMax

That's what you get for trying to run Windows on your Apple TV.

dock

Whoops XD Wrong thread. Sorry everyone.

As for the Apple TV, it's pretty dead to me until VLC or Infuse works. At least Airplay works okay.

Enzom21

Here's a question for existing Infuse users on iOS.

1. Does it transcode video? or is it like Kodi and that it just plays video as is?
2. How does the DTS feature work? Have they found a way to output DTS audio over HDMI? or ar they just transcoding it?

Does not transcode.

Top Bottom