• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

I've noticed a new issue on Hulu... frustrating as hell actually.

So I tell Siri "show me the newest episode of Agents of SHIELD" and she does. Awesome. Then I hit "Play in Hulu" and it goes to the Hulu loading screen "Loading up your newest seasons and TV shows" and then dumps me into the main menu.

THEN, if I back out, and do the same thing again (with Hulu now background loaded), it works.

So I tested this, and same thing every time. Go to app switcher, kill Hulu, and it does it every time.

On the other hand, Netflix is fine. Same thing. Kill Netflix. "Show me XFiles Season 5 episode 1". "Play in Netflix", plays.
I hate this issue.

Apple's OS and APIs are awesome. The actual apps' implementations seem to suck in many cases, and partially because there's no update indicator that I've found yet to indicate a sense of progress, no apps that I've noticed have updated to fix the issues.

For example, all the old History Channel, ABC, etc. apps seemed to have updated for the new UI, but none of them show up when you say "Play The Good Wife", etc.

I totally see the vision for TV that Apple has going here, and I love it. I just don't see the apps getting there, however, until Apple releases their own streaming service.

Quasar

I hate this issue.

Apple's OS and APIs are awesome. The actual apps' implementations seem to suck in many cases, and partially because there's no update indicator that I've found yet to indicate a sense of progress, no apps that I've noticed have updated to fix the issues.

For example, all the old History Channel, ABC, etc. apps seemed to have updated for the new UI, but none of them show up when you say "Play The Good Wife", etc.

Thats because the siri api is not public yet.

The store does provide you with updates information. Well at least as much as you get on ios.

Enzom21

So the Kodi fork MrMc is coming along, they are about to send out testflight codes:
w59aVnx.png
http://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16

Infuse is also looking very nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3xu4zzy2dc

Siri remote accessory that is unnecessary but I still want to try it.

Beachbody on Demand app is up. Pretty good.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Updates are mostly the same as iOS. You get a little blue dot on the home screen for updated apps and can go into Recent Updates to view the changes.

It all comes down to how much of a priority Apple TV will be in terms of fixing things and adding functionality. Siri API should be a given as it's the same API currently on iOS also (that also started coming back with Netflix and Hulu results). But the bugs like I'm describing end up being how big of a deal the platform is in importance. We'll see.

calder

I'm having a weird issue with the Youtube app but it's hard to google shit like this. Basically I notice when watching long (45+ minutes) YT videos the screen flashes briefly a few times but continues playing, like it briefly pauses then starts playing (the timeline pops up like you hit play again) and the video continues. I haven't seen this watching YT on anything else and this doesn't happen when watching stuff over Plex or Netflix on the ATV.

Is this happening to anyone else? I almost feel like it's the YT app screwing up when those damn in-progress ads are queued up, which would make sense for the long videos that may have ads but the ATV app doesn't handle them correctly.

dream

Another week, and the tvOS App Store is still a wasteland. I wonder what the first real killer app will be, and when it will emerge.

Thats because the siri api is not public yet.
That would explain it. I haven't followed the APIs available to the new AppleTV yet. Have we heard when this might be available (I suppose I'm asking is it in 9.1)?

This is one of the top things Apple needs to get on this device.

Quasar

Another week, and the tvOS App Store is still a wasteland. I wonder what the first real killer app will be, and when it will emerge.

I have no idea what thats supposed to even be. I guess the Apple subscription service app might be it.

Quasar

That would explain it. I haven't followed the APIs available to the new AppleTV yet. Have we heard when this might be available (I suppose I'm asking is it in 9.1)?

This is one of the top things Apple needs to get on this device.

No idea. All we've had is a off hand Tim Cook comment that it will have one at some point. Given how rushed to me tvos seems I reckon it will be a while.

senahorse

Does anyone use Getflix DNS with their Apple TV 4? If so can you please test something for me?

Try and play Jessica Jones episode 7 on either the US or Australian region (presumably any region but they are the only ones I have tested). This particular episode plus other random things will not play on the ATV4 when using Getflix DNS, disabling Getflix will make it work, it's very bizarre. I am just trying to gather some data to pass on to Getflix.

Quasar

Does anyone use Getflix DNS with their Apple TV 4? If so can you please test something for me?

Try and play Jessica Jones episode 7 on either the US or Australian region (presumably any region but they are the only ones I have tested). This particular episode plus other random things will not play on the ATV4 when using Getflix DNS, disabling Getflix will make it work, it's very bizarre. I am just trying to gather some data to pass on to Getflix.

Plays fine for me.

rinse82

Wait, someone's working on a Kodi fork for Apple TV 4?!

May need to ditch my Fire if so - I suddenly cant passthrough audio so anything surround AC3 or DTS results in straight static.

Majine

Banned
Well I assumed we'd not see one given Amazon. But apparently the android one supports androidtv now so now I think its just a matter of time

Oh I expect it to be coming. They seem to be on top of Apple things (The iOS app even has PiP and Split-screen).

You don't keep something like Twitch away just because it's a rival. That's not how things work.

Quasar

Oh I expect it to be coming. They seem to be on top of Apple things (The iOS app even has PiP and Split-screen).

You don't keep something like Twitch away just because it's a rival. That's not how things work.

Well given The Amazon video business I wasn't sure. But maybe they are still independent enough. Anyway the androidtv version even supports the crossapp/voice search so its looking promising for the AppleTV edition.

We bought an Apple TV recently and I have a question regarding performance.

When I stream something on my MBPr (say a South Park episode or something on YT) it works fine while I am on my laptop, but as soon as I airplay it to the AppleTV performance tanks. It will stop playing, the sound glitches and just generally it's as if the internet connection speed has been decimated.

Apple Music or Netflix directly on the AppleTV run flawlessly.

Everything is connected via the same wireless router which is also the connection to the www.

Any suggestions?

Phreaker

We bought an Apple TV recently and I have a question regarding performance.

When I stream something on my MBPr (say a South Park episode or something on YT) it works fine while I am on my laptop, but as soon as I airplay it to the AppleTV performance tanks. It will stop playing, the sound glitches and just generally it's as if the internet connection speed has been decimated.

Apple Music or Netflix directly on the AppleTV run flawlessly.

Everything is connected via the same wireless router which is also the connection to the www.

Any suggestions?

The best thing to do would be to set AirPlay to scale to 720 for your TV and use your AppleTV as a 2nd monitor (not mirrored). My Apple TV is WIRED (wireless is worse) to my router and my MBP is wireless (you have both wireless). My MBP is not far from the router and works best as 2nd monitor scaled to 720p. If I try to AirPlay Mirrored at 1080p I get some frame stutters, but audio is usually fine. Here's a page with some tips to increase performance. If you were wired I assume it wouldn't be an issue.

AFAIK, what you are essentially doing is getting 1080p wireless to your MBP, sending 1080p from it wirelessly to your router, getting 1080p wirelessly from your AppleTV. (www > MBP > router > AppleTV)

holygeesus

Banned
Apparently Infuse has been submitted to Apple now and we are just awaiting their process. I guess it will take a while given it's a holiday over there?

Apparently Infuse has been submitted to Apple now and we are just awaiting their process. I guess it will take a while given it's a holiday over there?
Probably by next week then, the average review time is 5-7 days. They don't work holidays, but work weekends. But maybe not holiday weekends?

24 hours with the thing, the thing I appreciate most is just how much faster it is than my Xbox or the old Apple TV.

I really appreciate that too. I'm not sure I needed the Apple TV given I already had a Chromecast and a PS4, but it's so easy to just press the Apple TV remote to just turn on everything and then flick through the UI to get to something really quickly and easily. No other set-top box can achieve that I think, especially when I start using Siri to find films quickly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The best thing to do would be to set AirPlay to scale to 720 for your TV and use your AppleTV as a 2nd monitor (not mirrored). My Apple TV is WIRED (wireless is worse) to my router and my MBP is wireless (you have both wireless). My MBP is not far from the router and works best as 2nd monitor scaled to 720p. If I try to AirPlay Mirrored at 1080p I get some frame stutters, but audio is usually fine. Here's a page with some tips to increase performance. If you were wired I assume it wouldn't be an issue.

AFAIK, what you are essentially doing is getting 1080p wireless to your MBP, sending 1080p from it wirelessly to your router, getting 1080p wirelessly from your AppleTV. (www > MBP > router > AppleTV)

I thought it worked like chromecast and handed the URL off to the Apple TV which played directly, with the host keeping remote control for play/pause etc? The way you describe would be really inefficient. Mirroring your desktop would be different of course.

Majine

Banned
I found it funny that the #3 downloaded app is a bowling game (at least in my region).. The Wii Sports craving is still there.

Quasar

I really appreciate that too. I'm not sure I needed the Apple TV given I already had a Chromecast and a PS4, but it's so easy to just press the Apple TV remote to just turn on everything and then flick through the UI to get to something really quickly and easily. No other set-top box can achieve that I think, especially when I start using Siri to find films quickly.

Well my AndroidTV box does the same. Well I'm not sure it turns on gear, but it does switch inputs for me. And in some ways I prefer its voice search (it understands me better and it searches more apps - though for some reason Netflix has yet to support that capability despite it apparently very easy to include).

Quasar

Literally the last app I need (at this point) to not use my XB1 for any streaming. I currently use my Apple TV for everything except Amazon so if that app really is incoming then I'll finally have my 1 box streaming solution.

Have to admit I'm surprised if true. Still isn't the one box solution for me. That I've come to admit is like a unicorn.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm disappointed by the app selection at the moment, and by lack of Siri search across apps. But it is already a good streaming box for Netflix and plex, plus AirPlay. If Amazon video and iPlayer come, that'll be the full set that I use on Xbox (and iPlayer I can work around using plex channels).

Then it's just a case of whether Apple TV or Xbox one can evolve better - cross service search with Siri and more apps, vs what cortana brings to Xbox

ATV is still a little undercooked but hopefully the next 6 months will see improvements.

Amazon app is coming, which means the only hole for me now is the lack of VUDU. Once that hits the store, I'll have my complete streaming solution

Well, a Comcast xfinity on demand app wouldn't hurt, since I have access to my parents' account

holygeesus

Banned
I'm disappointed by the app selection at the moment, and by lack of Siri search across apps. But it is already a good streaming box for Netflix and plex, plus AirPlay. If Amazon video and iPlayer come, that'll be the full set that I use on Xbox (and iPlayer I can work around using plex channels).

Then it's just a case of whether Apple TV or Xbox one can evolve better - cross service search with Siri and more apps, vs what cortana brings to Xbox

ATV is still a little undercooked but hopefully the next 6 months will see improvements.

It has only been out for a month to be fair!

holygeesus

Banned
Though you'd think Apple would support its own stuff on day one. Really does seem like a rush job. Was it purely to get out for this Christmas!

I don't know what you mean by 'not supporting it'. I've been using mine every day pretty much, and encountered very few issues. You can't blame Apple for the lack of apps really. It's up to external developers to produce them.

Quasar

I don't know what you mean by 'not supporting it'. I've been using mine every day pretty much, and encountered very few issues. You can't blame Apple for the lack of apps really. It's up to external developers to produce them.

I mean lack of siri support in its supposed important thing called Apple Music, and inability to search connected itunes libraries.

holygeesus

Banned
I mean lack of siri support in its supposed important thing called Apple Music, and inability to search connected itunes libraries.

I'll agree with you, it is a strange omission, but it is due in like a month, so hardly a massive issue. As a media player it is already more capable than the previous model, and it's only been out for weeks, so I'm not sure why so many people are so down on it.

Apple Music works fine as far as picking and playing music. Siri support is probably something they want to get right. I don't mind.

I just need Vudu now and for Charter to authenticate HBO Go and other apps on this thing. Not sure why they authenticate on iOS devices but not the Apple TV

Top Bottom