• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

It looks pretty similar to airvideo or vlc. A simple app to stream media from a network device rather than a full media centre front end like plex or kodi.

It's very similar to AirVideo except I think it pulls information from the internet for your TV episodes and movies. AirVideo/VLC are just playing files, does not go too far with presentation.

It looks pretty similar to airvideo or vlc. A simple app to stream media from a network device rather than a full media centre front end like plex or kodi.

It's very similar to AirVideo except I think it pulls information from the internet for your TV episodes and movies. AirVideo/VLC are just playing files, does not go too far with presentation.

Thank you. I like to plex for the information it pulls and the presentation. I guess I will stick with it then

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I need to find a way to turn of the automatic HDMI switch.. It's pretty awkward when you forget to turn off AirPlay.

You can turn it off under settings I think.

Edit: settings -> remotes and devices -> control TVs and Receivers on/off

I'd like a way to play audio while using another app. Eg the earthcam app is very relaxing but it'd be good to play web radio while it is on

I have my Apple TV audio running through my TV (which has an Optical Out port) into a Sound Bar. Whenever I pause a video too long, it turns off my Sound Bar, but playing again doesn't turn it back on...

Really annoying.. Anybody have a solution?

dream

Still liking my Apple TV a lot, but I'm a bit surprised that the flow of apps has slowed to a trickle. I would have expected a lot more games to at least go universal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Still liking my Apple TV a lot, but I'm a bit surprised that the flow of apps has slowed to a trickle. I would have expected a lot more games to at least go universal.

Same. App Store has barely changed in a couple of weeks. Add in that you can't browse on the web so discovery isn't good anyway, you have to keep popping in to the app on the ATV

Dalek

I wish there was a "Find My Remote" feature. My daughter is always misplacing it and I have to hunt through the cushions for it.

MrMephistoX

I wish there was a "Find My Remote" feature. My daughter is always misplacing it and I have to hunt through the cushions for it.

No kidding! I don't know how they'd pull it off without it having location services: maybe apple will think of something.

jts

...hate me...
iLVuOuxm.jpg

This alleviates the missing remote issues. And I don't mean by keeping it strapped to you wrist, haha.

dock

You can if the developer adds that feature.

People are creating and publishing iOS apps specifically as gamepads for games. This is a horrible hacky implementation. The Apple TV really ought to be able to broadcast to iOS devices.

It's pretty ridiculous that iOS devices aren't an option as a controller for the Apple TV in general.

nullref

No kidding! I don't know how they'd pull it off without it having location services: maybe apple will think of something.

I don't know if there's anything they could do with the current hardware. In the next iteration, the easiest solution might be to put a little speaker in the remote, so it could make a sound to help you track it down.

i got amazon prime video this morning, cause of the deal they doing, saving £20. Shame amazon video is not on Prime, as i will use that lot. I hardly use my pc for media now.

Browsing the apple app store and i can they have an app for remote. What is taking apple so long to make a remote? for the new tv

MrMephistoX

i got amazon prime video this morning, cause of the deal they doing, saving £20. Shame amazon video is not on Prime, as i will use that lot. I hardly use my pc for media now.

Browsing the apple app store and i can they have an app for remote. What is taking apple so long to make a remote? for the new tv

I'd suspect it's Amazon; Apple let's Amazon onto iPhone and iPad just with restrictions on in app purchases. Xbox is the same way you can watch content you've bought but you just can't buy it on the Xbox.

Quasar

I'd suspect it's Amazon; Apple let's Amazon onto iPhone and iPad just with restrictions on in app purchases. Xbox is the same way you can watch content you've bought but you just can't buy it on the Xbox.

Yes. Amazon made it clear they are doing it to hobble Apple/Google. Hence not even selling the hardware. They'd much rather people buy fire devices.

Can't you AirPlay from the Amazon prime video app to Apple TV?

i tried it twice, 1st time, sound, no video. Then video, no sound.

tried tablet and phone

edit: tried 3rd time and i got both audio and sound.

TBH i would prefer the app on the tv, no reason really

EDIT 2: Is anyone having issues with the play/pause? I can pause with it but cannot play with it. Happens on apps like plex and with Airplay

holygeesus

Banned
First time using Plex for a few weeks now, and I'm very impressed. I have an old Windows 7 laptop acting as the server, with my networked WD MyBook 3TB holding the videos, and it hasn't skipped a beat yet. Really cleverly done. Is there any way to tell when it is transcoding files though? I presume with .mkv it just demux and remuxes the files rather than transcoding, hence not that demanding on the host hardware?

Guess Who

Banned
First thing I can say is that whoever said VLC for tvOS won't have network support at launch is wrong because I'm using it right now.

jts

...hate me...
Can you load videos to the Apple TV's local storage to be played on VLC? If so, how does that work?

Quasar

lol the probably forgot about it

:)

Their attitude to AndroidTV is especially amusing.

They banned googles nexus player, but left all the other androidtv devices in the store. More amusing is the fact amazon made a amazon video app for AndroidTV, they just have it exclusively on Sony AndroidTV devices. And when people were taking that app and putting it on other AndroidTV devices Amazon locked it so it would not work like that.

Can you load videos to the Apple TV's local storage to be played on VLC? If so, how does that work?

No.

- Local storage
- cloud: dropbox/Box/Onedrive
- URL stream (synced from iOS VLC)

edit:

actually you can. you can open a web server from your computer browser and copy stuff over. I tried with an episode of Peep Show (~500MB) and it worked fine. Not sure how long it keeps it cached. I restarted the Apple TV and it was still there.

holygeesus

Banned
First thing I can say is that whoever said VLC for tvOS won't have network support at launch is wrong because I'm using it right now.

It wasn't network support that was supposed to be missing, it was playback from a NAS. If it has that it's a game changer for me.

dock

I wonder whether anything great will come out on Apple TV before the end of the year. It's a pretty sad state, with even Apple Music being feature limited (no videos?!).

I hope the Spotify app appear on here. I'd like to switch to Spotify soon.

Got a test flight invite for "VLC for iOS for tvOS."
That's a stupendous name. I love it.
Glad to hear VLC has network play. I'm only here for vlc and infuse, tbh.

Miyahon

Love the new Apple TV but I've noticed an odd issue with Netflix where it would forget my login info and ask for my email and password again.

Happened a few times in the past few days. Hulu had this issue around launch for me but that seems to have fixed itself.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I've noticed a new issue on Hulu... frustrating as hell actually.

So I tell Siri "show me the newest episode of Agents of SHIELD" and she does. Awesome. Then I hit "Play in Hulu" and it goes to the Hulu loading screen "Loading up your newest seasons and TV shows" and then dumps me into the main menu.

THEN, if I back out, and do the same thing again (with Hulu now background loaded), it works.

So I tested this, and same thing every time. Go to app switcher, kill Hulu, and it does it every time.

On the other hand, Netflix is fine. Same thing. Kill Netflix. "Show me XFiles Season 5 episode 1". "Play in Netflix", plays.

Top Bottom