• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Phreaker

I thought it worked like chromecast and handed the URL off to the Apple TV which played directly, with the host keeping remote control for play/pause etc? The way you describe would be really inefficient. Mirroring your desktop would be different of course.

I believe that is how it works for iOS devices, but I am not so sure from a Mac. When I use the AppleTV as a 2nd screen I can drag the video from the laptop's screen to the AppleTV and it never skips a beat. If it was streaming from the AppleTV after dragging it to that screen I would think it would have a hiccup, at least, as it switched from streaming from my laptop to streaming from the AppleTV, no?

EDIT: OHHH! I just found you that you CAN AirPlay from a Mac with El Capitan, but you need to be using Safari or the Quicktime player. For example, when watching a YouTube video (in safari) it has an AirPlay icon at the bottom. I tried Twitch, but no luck, no AirPlay option. Link to Apple's Site

Quasar

Apple Music works fine as far as picking and playing music. Siri support is probably something they want to get right. I don't mind.

I'm not upset, it just seems to me a sign that it was rushed to market. I'm probably more annoyed (in terms of software) by the lack of the siri api and Apples vagueness about when it will even be available.

boyshine

They need to update the UI to support gyro pointer control.. I'm going crazy swipe-swipe-swipe-swiping.. I don't want my TV revolution to be Tinder.

iMax

No one was sure what they were going to do after pulling the Apple TV from their storefront.

They only pulled it because there was no Amazon Prime app. Now that they can easily ship one themselves without Apple's interference, they'll start selling it again, most likely.

ecurbj

They only pulled it because there was no Amazon Prime app. Now that they can easily ship one themselves without Apple's interference, they'll start selling it again, most likely.
That's what I'm thinking also. The last couple of Apple TVs didn't have an option for any developer to make an app or channel. It was all developed by Apple themselves.

So I'm pretty sure Amazon was getting complaints from consumers who were purchasing the older Apple TV models with the intention to watch Amazon Video content, on why there wasn't an Amazon Video app / channel. Which then causes major confusion which then caused them to drop support of selling Apple TV's on their storefront.

Now that the new Apple TV is open to all developers. It gives them an option to make an app.

There has been a thread on Amazon's forum for awhile now about this. So I'm assuming they see the consumers wanting an app on the new Apple TV.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-TV-Amaz...1S8NLVNCV31WW/1?asin=B001FA1NK0&cdSort=newest

Either way it doesn't bother me. I consume my content from other sources and have not touched a single viewing in Amazon Video despite being an Amazon Prime member. But I definitely will check it out if they make an app.

Clipse

Anyone ever run into an issue where only the settings menu becomes laggy and unresponsive? Had to pull the plug to fix the issue. Just got the Apple TV last night and I'm hoping this is just a one-time glitch.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Crossy Road is a must.

Transistor and Geometry Wars 3 are good choices if you have a controller.

Geometry Wars 3 is available? Damn, I gave up PC gaming and consoles 5-6 years ago but really loved the original. This would be a great way for me to be able to play again.

How does the Nimbus compare to an Xbox 360 or One controller in feel, build quality, etc?

Phreaker

How does the Nimbus compare to an Xbox 360 or One controller in feel, build quality, etc?

It's very similar, but feels slightly "cheaper" than the One controller. The d-pad is not as clicky, for example. The thumbstick are not offset and the bumpers are quite a bit larger than One's controller. I think it's worth it though if you want a game controller for your AppleTV

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
It's very similar, but feels slightly "cheaper" than the One controller. The d-pad is not as clicky, for example. The thumbstick are not offset and the bumpers are quite a bit larger than One's controller. I think it's worth it though if you want a game controller for your AppleTV

What are the odds that either 1) Apple opens up support to 360/One controllers or 2) someone develops some sort of workaround (without jailbreaking)?

Enzom21

what does this do different to Plex?

Plex needs a server running Infuse does not. Infuse doesn't need to encode files as it supports plenty of formats. It is closer to something like Kodi.

What are the odds that either 1) Apple opens up support to 360/One controllers or 2) someone develops some sort of workaround (without jailbreaking)?

Pretty low. People pay for that MFI license and allowing any controller will cut into profits. I think a jailbreak tweak like controllers4all will be the only solution.

So all this Amazon talk made me think to ask about Vudu.

taVqDqs.jpg

Never mind.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Infuse is looking like being the proverbial game changer
https://www.youtube.com/embed/L3xu4zzy2dc

Looks interesting, but I don't like the folder browsing model generally. But pulling metadata in looks nice.

Peraonally my ideal solution would be a plex media server handling metadata etc, and then a plex client that worked like infuse so I didn't have to transcode anything (also would like that for iOS generally, eg iPad and iPhone). That way I can move my server onto my underpowered NAS and it'd be fine rather than running another computer 24/7 just for plex.

Axl

Having an awful time with the Hulu app. It freezes at the loading screen when auto playing the next episode. The sound continues in the background but only the episode loading screen appears. If I try to get around it by quitting to the menu after an episode completes and play it manually, it just gives me "a network error has occurred" message and I have to reset the device before it will play again. Tried reinstalling the app and even factory reset, no difference. Only happens with Hulu.

Anyone experiencing something similar?

Infuse is out now:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/12/03/infuse-apple-tv-launch-tvos-movies/

because the tvOS version of Infuse is tied to the iOS counterpart, the download is free for users of Infuse 3 on iOS devices. The tvOS version is labeled as Infuse 4.0, and the iOS client will be upgraded to the new version later this year, the developers tell us.

Infuse 4.0 on tvOS (and in the upcoming iOS version) adds automatically downloaded artwork and movie ratings, support for syncing how far along a user is into a video between devices, and support for downloadable subtitles.

Quasar

Doesn't work properly for me, which is annoying since they don't give you the chance to demo it before stumping up £7.99! Neither 1080p or 720p files playback smoothly here. Disappointing.

It mostly works for me. Videos play fine though I am seeing some jerkiness (mostly it seems when a video first starts), and Lossless DTS tracks are only being output as DTS Core (dunno if thats how it is supposed to work).

dock

Downloading Infuse now. Pretty excited, as this is one of the main reasons for my getting the Apple TV (as a replacement for my Pi). I'll give it a try in a few minutes when it has downloaded.

Doesn't work properly for me, which is annoying since they don't give you the chance to demo it before stumping up £7.99! Neither 1080p or 720p files playback smoothly here. Disappointing.

guess i will not be buying infuse then, will stick with Plex and when they charge, i will probably just buy it

MrMephistoX

Downloading Infuse now. Pretty excited, as this is one of the main reasons for my getting the Apple TV (as a replacement for my Pi). I'll give it a try in a few minutes when it has downloaded.

Nice I'll try it out...is it a monthly subscription like PLEX? Biggest selling point is not having to have a damn media server running 24/7 not that it was hard to do but I'm always worried by 2006 Mac Mini is going to buy the farm one of these days.

Enzom21

guess i will not be buying infuse then, will stick with Plex and when they charge, i will probably just buy it

Not everyone is having that issue though and if it is a bug in the software they can always send out an update. You might also keep an eye for MrMc, the fork of Kodi that has been submitted to Apple for review. I think even with some flaws they are both better than Plex.

Nice I'll try it out...is it a monthly subscription like PLEX? Biggest selling point is not having to have a damn media server running 24/7 not that it was hard to do but I'm always worried by 2006 Mac Mini is going to buy the farm one of these days.
No.

http://firecore.com/forum/tvos-new-apple-tv
I would post any bugs Infuse has here.

dock

Trying out Infuse now, it's really excellent!

I'm using it pointed to my Synology Diskstation home server, where all my movies are stored.

It trips over a few difficult files, but all of my setups trip over those. I especially like how easily it gets hold of subtitles (although I'm at a loss as of how to delete unwanted subtitle files). The presentation is really slick and responsive, and I'm so impressed with how quickly and accurately it scrapes info about the movies.

Well it does pull metadata and other info from the internet but it shouldn't be much

i will check again but it seems like it used 91gb.

edit: seems like there're 2 infuse in the app store, 1 free, 1 paid, can you do the basic stuff like stream with the free one? with no hold backs like a trial?

holygeesus

Banned
It mostly works for me. Videos play fine though I am seeing some jerkiness (mostly it seems when a video first starts), and Lossless DTS tracks are only being output as DTS Core (dunno if thats how it is supposed to work).

Not good enough for me. The frame pacing is all wrong and it distracts when I watch. Not worth the money as it stands.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmm, these days I mostly play my videos on my Apple TV or iPad via plex - but sometimes on a laptop too. In theory infuse would allow me to drop my media server on my Mac mini. Does it sync metadata somewhere so that multiple infuse clients don't all have to download metadata individually, and you only have to edit mismatches once? And does it sync watched status between clients?

dock

Hmm, these days I mostly play my videos on my Apple TV or iPad via plex - but sometimes on a laptop too. In theory infuse would allow me to drop my media server on my Mac mini. Does it sync metadata somewhere so that multiple infuse clients don't all have to download metadata individually, and you only have to edit mismatches once? And does it sync watched status between clients?
I don't think it syncs metadata, but apparently you can use an account on www.trakt.tv to sync watched status. I intend to give that a try.

Quasar

Not good enough for me. The frame pacing is all wrong and it distracts when I watch. Not worth the money as it stands.

Well I only tried it out because I already owned a license and was curious about the dts support. In that regard I'm also curious about MrMC which has been submitted and supposedly supports dts passthrough in some fashion.

I imagine in the end I'll just return to plex and either hope they write their own player at some point or buy a ShieldTV for local content.

holygeesus

Banned
Well I only tried it out because I already owned a license and was curious about the dts support. In that regard I'm also curious about MrMC which has been submitted and supposedly supports dts passthrough in some fashion.

It's definitely an issue, but hopefully as quite a few seem to be having it, it may well be fixed sooner rather than later. A shame as otherwise it ticks every box for me. I've refunded for now though and will re-buy when sorted.

http://firecore.com/forum/topic/13639

Quasar

It's definitely an issue, but hopefully as quite a few seem to be having it, it may well be fixed sooner rather than later. A shame as otherwise it ticks every box for me. I've refunded for now though and will re-buy when sorted.

http://firecore.com/forum/topic/13639

I've got a range of issues, from poor metadata support to not liking their softsubs support. So even if it perfectly played my bluray mkvs and id a total passthrough of dtshd ma and truehd audio I still wouldn't use it as my default player I don't think.

Part of it is just being so used to having more control over metadata. I guess infuse just isn't enough of a home theatre interface for me.

Top Bottom