• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

I'm getting at the end of the day (put it on around 7AM, remove it around 12AM) with 50% battery, wearing it all day. So I'm either not using the watch very much... or the battery concerns were unfounded.

The watch shouldn't be used like a phone or laptop, just quick glances. You have to try pretty hard to drain the battery in one day. I do a 30-40 minutes workout (which is the biggest battery drainer on the watch) everyday and I still finish with ~50% at the end of the day.

Anyone stopped getting sunrise / sunset info on their Apple Watches?

Mine has been --:-- for like the last week for some reason. Any ideas?

Anyone stopped getting sunrise / sunset info on their Apple Watches?

Mine has been --:-- for like the last week for some reason. Any ideas?

Had that happen twice since launch. Once, it just came back after three days, the other time it fix itself after power cycling the Watch.

cakefoo

Had that happen twice since launch. Once, it just came back after three days, the other time it fix itself after power cycling the Watch.
Or flip Airplane Mode on/off. Yesterday I waited several minutes for a photo in my album to sync to my Watch, until I tried that little trick.

Oh, and the photo brings up another tip: take a screenshot of your grocery list and open it on your Watch. Very useful when carrying stuff in your hands or pushing a cart. Until Apple lets us view reminders lists directly on the Watch, that is.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah my sunset complication goes awry randomly, power cycling fixes it.

Ninja Dom

Anyone have any experiences with third party Watch bands?

There are quite a few on eBay. Especially HOCO made ones. I asked my girlfriend what she thinks and she says that if a strap/band is real leather then there's nothing to worry about at the price. The HOCO ones are only around £17 for a Real Leather classic buckle.

I think I'll order one this week.

Got the wife a 38mm sport yesterday and she is over the moon. So much to get use to but I can see her now using her iPhone much less as most of the alerts she can deal with on the watch.

No black in stock so I was out of luck

japtor

Oh, and the photo brings up another tip: take a screenshot of your grocery list and open it on your Watch. Very useful when carrying stuff in your hands or pushing a cart. Until Apple lets us view reminders lists directly on the Watch, that is.
I ended up downloading Clear to use as a shopping list, ok enough I guess. Looks like it's $5 but I got it for free at some point before. I have Fantastical but it's cluttered up with everything else on my calendar and other existing reminders so I wanted something simpler and separate. One nice thing about Clear is that you can add stuff on the watch with voice dictation, amusingly hit or miss (as somewhat usual with voice for me) but I just leave them if it's close enough.

And I just remembered Starbucks had cards for Due which is some other task app, haven't tried that one yet.
There are quite a few on eBay. Especially HOCO made ones. I asked my girlfriend what she thinks and she says that if a strap/band is real leather then there's nothing to worry about at the price. The HOCO ones are only around £17 for a Real Leather classic buckle.

Well there's a few grades of real leather (look up bonded leather for example), but yeah I wouldn't worry about it assuming you're not spending a whole bunch.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
One of my favorite apps, Next just got a watch app.
It appears lightbow has too.

Lightbow is really nice and I'm happy to quit using the official HUE app.

Next is a little sad though. Its an expense tracker and I've waiting for them to add watch functionality to quickly record purchases.. however on the watch you can't set a specific amount! It only offers a preselection of your most common purchas totals per category.

this is ok for the beer category where it lets me choose between 10.10, 9.56, 7.58 etc.. but for nearly everything else its kinda useless because shopping trips almost never have the same purchase total.

IDK. I'm sure with watchkit 2.0 it will get better but its frustrating.

Hero

Anybody got links to any decently priced third party bands for a 44 mm Space Grey? Interested in a link style.

robotrock

Banned

Rad, looking forward to your impressions!

Ninja Dom

Ok people, what information do you want to see in your complications?

Pretty much kept the Utility watch face showing Date, Temperature (main complication at the bottom), Activity rings and Battery. I've hardly changed from this since I got the Watch nearly 4 weeks ago.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Does anybody have a rash from wearing the sports band? It's mainly where the clasp is. I need to find a more breathable strap.

I think this may be what some of you guys are after...

Reminders Nano

Replicates your iOS Reminders on the watch.
You can add and complete reminders on the watch and it syncs back to the phone.

HAven't used it myself but seen positive feedback.

Oh man. My wife is the best. 42mm Apple Watch!

Haven't even hooked it up yet. I'm wondering what's the best aftermarket steel band I can find for less than 100$ for it?

ckohler

Welp, I somehow put a permanent scratch on the face of my Apple Watch Sport. :/

You can't see it when the screen is on but if you can when it's off.

Oh well, I always planned to not baby this thing too much. Like with the OG iPhone, I'll use it as intended.

japtor

Ok people, what information do you want to see in your complications?
I'd like a Fantastical widget just to get reminders in there. Not sure what else I want but I've kept it pretty minimal to begin with. The main ones I use across multiple faces are activity and date, beyond that most of the current ones available are just for the sake of info or quick launch. Like weather isn't terribly useful where I am, sunrise/sunset also only kinda useful sometimes, battery hasn't been an issue at all, etc. And for the ultimate useless info complication I like the moon one, just cause it's round works well visually when the only other one is activity/also round. Like on simple and Mickey I only use those plus date.

I also use some only on specific faces, the timer ones on the chrono face, and color only ones on one of my modular ones, activity, moon, and battery (and yeah all round). I keep that one around in red as a night face, cause any with white noticeably brightens things up in the dark. Course nothing but the time in red would be best...it's just a bit too minimal for me.
Welp, I somehow put a permanent scratch on the face of my Apple Watch Sport. :/

You can't see it when the screen is on but if you can when it's off.

Oh well, I always planned to not baby this thing too much. Like with the OG iPhone, I'll use it as intended.
Can you feel the scratch or just see it? If the latter it might just be the oleophobic coating, and it'll overall wear down eventually or you can get some liquid to restore it. If it's really a scratch in the glass I dunno, maybe glass repair tricks would work?

ckohler

Can you feel the scratch or just see it? If the latter it might just be the oleophobic coating, and it'll overall wear down eventually or you can get some liquid to restore it. If it's really a scratch in the glass I dunno, maybe glass repair tricks would work?

It's a full scratch. If I run my fingernail over it, I can feel it.

Guys, what is the feedback on the pause feature for the workout app. The wife paused the workout and then when I got home the batt was at 10%. I would have thought that the pause would stop all the active monitoring? Or was I wrong

SuperPac

Had a hell of a time upgrading to Watch OS 2b3. Some tips for the adventurous if you've been having trouble:

- Update your phone to iOS 9 b3 first.
- Turn off sending diagnostics to Apple (on iPhone -> Settings/Privacy/Diagnostics & Usage. Somehow this speeds things up or at least corrects issues connecting to the Watch for the update.
- Turn off iMessage on your phone. For some reason it was failing to log me into Messages via the pairing process on the watch. Turning off Messages on the phone until after pairing fixed that.

Still installing beta 3 here so not sure of any differences....here's hoping it at least clears up the bug where location-based passbook stuff would stay on your Notifications window indefinitely. :)

SuperPac

Best change in Watch OS 2 Beta 3 so far - from the icon grid, pressing the digital crown brings you right back into the watch face. You don't need to press it twice anymore. BEST FIX EVER.

Haven't noticed too much else, really. Performance is better than the first or second betas.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I drank too much and didn't charge my watch last night.

When I put it on to go to work it was at 18%.. so I charged for less than 15 minutes. Enough time for me to brush my teeth, feed the cat and get my bicycle ready. When I put it on it was at 33% and it lasted all day! It went into power reserve mode right as left work. I sent one text to my girlfriend stating that I was leaving and the next time I looked at it it had died.

It gave me the 10% warning around 4:30 I think but I declined to put into power reserve and went along like usual.

Pretty impressed! I have the majority of notifications turned off so I only get fitness alerts, texts and important emails from Inbox, so I'm probably on the lighter side of battery usage. I also did not run the workout mode on my commute to work, that was the only behavioral change I made. I have the 32mm fwiw.

Anyway, thought I'd share. Its actually the first time I've had it powerdown. I think it would actually be viable to wear it nearly all the time (basically while you sleep) and just charge it while you shower or are doing the dishes, etc. You'd never get it to 100% but if you sip for a few minutes once or twice a day I think you'd make it. I might try that out.

japtor

Anyway, thought I'd share. Its actually the first time I've had it powerdown. I think it would actually be viable to wear it nearly all the time (basically while you sleep) and just charge it while you shower or are doing the dishes, etc. You'd never get it to 100% but if you sip for a few minutes once or twice a day I think you'd make it. I might try that out.
Yeah that’d probably be ok if your morning routine is long enough.

I tried something a bit different last week just to test the battery (and get my sleeping heart rate). I took it off early to charge to full then went to sleep with it (I think I got around 50bpm?) and then kept it on throughout the day. I think I had around 20-25% left after 24 hours.

DCS

Banned
Is there no way to see your average heart rate? The health iPhone app shows your latest recorded rate, your highest and lowest but gives no average.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Showered with the Apple Watch for the first time, haven't noticed any side effects since

I had to run mine under the faucet. My crown was kinda gunky feeling and sticking from what I'm assuming is sweat or whatever from my jogs/bikerides. The official documentation addresses the issue and says to run it under a relatively low pressure faucet and twiddle the crown for a while. Felt kinda weird but it was pretty cool.

Is there no way to see your average heart rate? The health iPhone app shows your latest recorded rate, your highest and lowest but gives no average.
In the health app on your iPhone there is a way to view every recorded heartrate in a giant mile-long list. But no average to my knowledge.

robotrock

Banned
What is this thing like when you see a movie in a theater? Is it as annoying as a smart phone?

Probably not because it's only on for 4 seconds and the fact it's so small, right?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think it would definitely bother the people next to you if you were really using it.

I always turn my phone off during a movie so the watch just disconnects. But yeah, anything that produces any amount of light will bother others in a theater.

Mik2121

What is this thing like when you see a movie in a theater? Is it as annoying as a smart phone?

Probably not because it's only on for 4 seconds and the fact it's so small, right?
Also most of the screen is black with white or color letters. I've had mine turn on at night in pitch black conditions and the watch doesn't really illuminate much of the surrounding area if at all ( I use the Modular face most of the time).

The best solution I've seen for at the movies, and I have it set up already, is to set up a custom 'modular' watch face with every complication turned off. Go with a red color as well. You end up with just the time only.

I think almost all the smartwatches and stuff like fitbit is cool. I'm open to all of them. But the almost seething hate for the apple watch is amusing. It's likely most to do with the price. The sport is a bit too high, but apple products are always priced higher at the start.

When I see another brand's smartwatch in the wild, I generally ask about it and the owner is almost always satisfied.

Yeah, that and the tanking sales thread are amazing. It's as if the watch's existence is a human rights violation.

Yeah, saw that one too. Was too tired from the other thread to post in the sales thread.

Smartwatch is dumb. Price is too high. Obsolescence is 4 minutes.

"Siri, set timer for 4 minutes, I want to know when my purchase is obsolete" lol.

I agree and I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple drop the price by 50 for the next iteration.

Just on the Sport though.

It felt fun to be on for the first iteration of the iPad although I was high skeptical at first. I missed out on the very first iPhone as I was stuck with a blackberry pearl. Being in on the first iteration of the Apple watch feels great.

Top Bottom