• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

you should be able to download music to it for running.

giphy.gif

DOWN

Banned
Why does it look so fat and unsexy in official photos, but is actually quite an impressive form in real life? Same with their iPhone 6. Watch looks meh in every official shot, but pretty slick in most press shots and real life.

ykCTE4i.png

apple-watch-5_3258875b.jpg

Bumhead

Banned
I questioned the music and running thing in that thread, although that was legitimate curiosity rather than shitposting (which admittedly does seem to follow Apple threads around. Doubly so for threads about Apple products which haven't set the world on fire).

Learning that the Watch can work independantly of the phone AND store music is a bit of a game changer for me though. I think notifications, fitness tracking, being able to leave my 6+ in a locker at the gym and, ya know, just being a nice watch, is enough for me to seriously thing about grabbing one of these. I'm not one of these people who needs a million and one crucial features to justify a purchase. 3 or 4 good, functional usage scenario's is enough to get me on board.

EDIT: Regarding the looks, I think the watch looks great. I've still not seen one live, but in both press shots, review video's and real pictures, I think it looks really nice. The aesthetic has never been an issue for me.

Why does it look so fat and unsexy in official photos, but is actually quite an impressive form in real life? Same with their iPhone 6. Watch looks meh in every official shot, but pretty slick in most press shots and real life.

ykCTE4i.png

apple-watch-5_3258875b.jpg

Because laying it flat or the hanging in air shot always looks different then when actually on the wrist

DOWN

Banned
Because laying it flat or the hanging in air shot always looks different then when actually on the wrist
I meant that more as a rhetorical cry of frustration to the Apple gods and less as a serious logistical question, but yeah, close ups are not friendly to the watch

A rhetorical question? Let me take a shot at answering that. I think when the watch straps aren't wrapped around someones wrists it makes the device itself look a lot bigger.

DOWN

Banned
A rhetorical question? Let me take a shot at answering that. I think when the watch straps aren't wrapped around someones wrists it makes the device itself look a lot bigger.
rhetorical means it was asked for effect but thanks for another answer to the rhetorical question lol

Ninja Dom

It's a shame that the Passbook App on the Watch doesn't list your purchases made with Apple Pay when you use the Watch for Apple Pay. Unlike the iPhone Passbook App which does list your purchases when you use the iPhone for Apple Pay.

Anybody want a lovely game for the Watch? Try Lifeline. It's a text only sci-if adventure game where you choose what paths you want the main character to go. Works lovely on the Watch. Internet connection not required while playing. GAF thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1079147.

Anybody know of any apps where you can check both your iPhone battery level and network status from your Watch?

Bumhead

Banned
Sorry, more dumb questions;

Has anyone used their Watch for swimming yet? Does it track lengths and distance accurately? They are waterproof, right?

My wife have used her watch in the pool and its all good on the waterproof side. I would not go diving with it as that might cause problems. But its not great for swimming as the touch does not work great under the water or sometime not at all.

Phreaker

Interesting article at MacRumors: Apple Watch Beats Original iPhone and iPad in Customer Satisfaction Among Early Adopters

While some critics within the tech media have heavily scrutinized the Apple Watch since its launch, new survey data shared by Techpinions suggests that the true mass market sentiment toward the wrist-worn device is overwhelmingly positive. In particular, the survey found that traditionally "non-tech" users liked the Apple Watch more than those with a closer connection to the tech industry.

According to research firm Wristly and Creative Strategies analyst Ben Bajarin, overall customer satisfaction with the Apple Watch is 97%, which is the highest customer satisfaction rating of any previous first-generation Apple product. Wristly determined that rating by combining the "Very Satisfied/Delighted" (66%) and "Somewhat Satisfied" boxes together (31%).

DOWN

Banned
Any tests out there showing differences in materials between Watch and Watch Sport? Specifically wear and tear

Ninja Dom

I'm getting urges to get the space grey Sport.

Get it. I've had my one over a month now. Fantastic device, fantastic watch.

So many butt hurt fanboys in the comment section because of a positive review lol, reminds me of any GAF thread about the apple watch

Many 'butt hurt Apple fanboys' in any GAF thread with negative news about the watch.

It's not exactly a 50/50 split but it's also not something worth debating, just something I notice when any tech site praises an Apple product.

I skipped the Anandtech comments. But here on GAF, everybody decided to pile in on the first Apple Watch sales thread (the one saying how sales had "stopped"). Tons of negativity. Plenty of them never returned in the second sales thread (the one I made which showed how well the Watch sold in its first 3 months).

japtor

Any tests out there showing differences in materials between Watch and Watch Sport? Specifically wear and tear
From what I can tell they follow how you'd expect, sapphire is harder to scratch, steel is easier to scratch but can be polished out (other than black) or you can just let the scratches build up and even out over time. I've heard the aluminum is pretty durable, although I'm curious how the space gray coating has been holding up for people. I guess there's the heart rate monitor back too, sapphire vs plastic, but I haven't heard too much about that, probably cause it's not exposed most of the time.

cjp

Get it. I've had my one over a month now. Fantastic device, fantastic watch.

I think I'm going to. My birthday is coming up soon and my parents have graciously offered to split the cost of a Sport.

I think I'd go Space Grey but I bet the Silver with a black band doesn't look bad either. The only problem is I have really bony wrists so I'd think I'd have to go with the 38mm. I measured them and I seem around 165mm ish.

I'll definitely try them both on before making a decision but I'm wondering how a big of a difference the screen size and battery life will make. Will the 38mm look feminine? I've never even worn a watch before so I'm not at all knowledgeable what's fashionable about them.

Also noticed there's no option to buy a separate Space Black link bracelet. Is that coming? I'd love a Space Grey Stainless Steel but there's no way I'm dropping £800-£900.

Edit: Another question. I know the Watch relies on the iPhone for mostly everything. How close do I have to keep them?

mrkgoo

So it has been announced in my country for next week.

At first I was kind of due hard wanting one. But now I've softened on the idea.

But tonight I looked at the 38mm. And have grown on it a bit. I like the space grey in the 38mm, but it really only looks good with the black band. Should I consider a silver one to have it match other bands better?

Haven't seen the normal aluminum Sport in person, but I think the space grey Sport with black band is probably as modest and unassuming as the Watch comes. I really love mine.

I'm left handed so it's easier for me to wear a watch on my right arm, does the iWatch have to go a certain way up? As the Digital Crown would be easier for me to use if it was on the left side.

Ninja Dom

I think I'm going to. My birthday is coming up soon and my parents have graciously offered to split the cost of a Sport.

I think I'd go Space Grey but I bet the Silver with a black band doesn't look bad either. The only problem is I have really bony wrists so I'd think I'd have to go with the 38mm. I measured them and I seem around 165mm ish.

I'll definitely try them both on before making a decision but I'm wondering how a big of a difference the screen size and battery life will make. Will the 38mm look feminine? I've never even worn a watch before so I'm not at all knowledgeable what's fashionable about them.

Also noticed there's no option to buy a separate Space Black link bracelet. Is that coming? I'd love a Space Grey Stainless Steel but there's no way I'm dropping £800-£900.

Edit: Another question. I know the Watch relies on the iPhone for mostly everything. How close do I have to keep them?

I've also got very small wrists. But I opted for the 42mm simply cos of the bigger screen and supposedly better battery. With the Sport Bands you get a Small/Medium attachment and a Medium/Large attachment. I need to use the Small/Medium.

If you're in a room then they can be quite far apart. The Watch has its own wifi so it will automatically log into the same wifi that your iPhone is on and use that. If that happens then you can be even on different floors (providing the wifi extends across different floors). Otherwise the Bluetooth range is still fairly generous.

I'm left handed so it's easier for me to wear a watch on my right arm, does the iWatch have to go a certain way up? As the Digital Crown would be easier for me to use if it was on the left side.

Yes, you can flip the orientation.

Yes I wear it on my right wrist with the Digital Crown facing my right hand.

LCfiner

It’s now been around a month with the watch. I still like it. it’s all small conveniences that add up over time. quicker access to timers or music controls. driving directions on the fly without having to take my phone out of my pocket.

still ignoring all but a couple third party apps (deliveries. yelp) but that’s fine for me at this point. looking forward to third party watch complications this fall.

I saw the first Apple watch in the wild today. Saw a young woman wearing a 38mm with light pink modern buckle in my local shopping mall.

Sean

Banned
New WatchOS 2 beta has colorful complications, not sure how I feel about it yet. Seems like it'll be easier to get the information at a glance, but also kinda makes it a bit more messy/inconsistent imo.

img_0529.png

Top Bottom