• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Ninja Dom

Any one can confirm that is your iPhone is on the home wifi and you are out of Bluetooth range with the watch does the watch switch over to Wifi and you can receive calls being around the house but not in Bluetooth range?

There was a mention that this is possible as this would be great to have the phone lying around the house and you can get all your update and alert without being in Bluetooth range as this is what drove me mad with the pebble.

Hope this makes sense?

I think so, a dude in this thread a few weeks ago said that he works in a building with wifi throughout. He can be on different floors in the building with his iPhone back at his desk connected to the company wifi and his Watch still functions perfectly.

EDIT: Here.

Don't know what the deal with yours is. Mine hops on the wifi when I'm too far away for bluetooth.

e.g. Going to the basement at work for a meeting when my phone's on my desk on the top floor.

DCS

Banned
Any one can confirm that is your iPhone is on the home wifi and you are out of Bluetooth range with the watch does the watch switch over to Wifi and you can receive calls being around the house but not in Bluetooth range?

There was a mention that this is possible as this would be great to have the phone lying around the house and you can get all your update and alert without being in Bluetooth range as this is what drove me mad with the pebble.

Hope this makes sense?

It's fine. If you have problems do this: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/05/how-to-ensure-apple-watch-is-connected-to-a-wi-fi-network.html

cheers guys as this is a very powerful function. At work I don't get allot of signal and my phone is lying 10 feet away from me by the window to get signal. Then back home I don't like to have my phone with me if I am in the garden or washing the car out the front.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've jogged with my Modern Buckle a few times but always wipe the sweat off when I'm done. I may try and pick up a sportband today if the local apple store has them.

I've actually been wondering if anyone here has any tips on how to maintain the leather? I was reading some high-end fashion blog discussing leather watch straps and they were made to sound notoriously fragile. The blog in questions said to expect them to last about a year. I wasn't really sure what they meant by that, and I'm not expecting my modern buckle to disintigrate over the next 11 month, but it did make me look into leather balms and the like.

I have noticed a few faint black marks appear on the edges of the band which I'm assuming are scuff marks. I am planning on getting some type of leather care product at some point in the future.

I really like the modern buckle and couldn't imagine using one of the other watch bands. Whenever I see other peoples watches they look "wrong" to me because I'm so used to - and fond of the way the MB looks. However, for a 250$ leather strap I am questioning the level of quality. I have no experience with leather whatsoever, but I do look at it and wonder what its gonna like in three years.

IDK.

Fliesen

cheers guys as this is a very powerful function. At work I don't get allot of signal and my phone is lying 10 feet away from me by the window to get signal. Then back home I don't like to have my phone with me if I am in the garden or washing the car out the front.

it's amazing.

at home, my phone's pretty much docked all day and i never lose connection. I only noticed that a "no connection to iPhone" red symbol existed until my 3rd day of wearing the watch, going to the bathroom at work, not bringing my phone with me.

LCfiner

So after 6 days with the watch, I find that my main uses with it are text message notifications, email notifications, creating mapping directions while driving, quick weather forecast lookups and iPhone music control.

Oh and telling time.

I much prefer the tapping sensation of the watch to the phone buzzing in my pocket. It's a friendlier take on silent notifications

I have barely bothered with third party apps at this point. I really just want to use it as a lightweight notification device and maybe I'll find a couple apps worth keeping. Maybe watch os 2 will change this as apps will load faster and be less limited with their UI. Now that I think about it more, it's the third party complications that I look forward to most. More super fast access to info from the watch face.

I like it well enough that I think I'll keep it

tmdorsey

So after 6 days with the watch, I find that my main uses with it are text message notifications, email notifications, creating mapping directions while driving, quick weather forecast lookups and iPhone music control.

Oh and telling time.

I much prefer the tapping sensation of the watch to the phone buzzing in my pocket. It's a friendlier take on silent notifications

I have barely bothered with third party apps at this point. I really just want to use it as a lightweight notification device and maybe I'll find a couple apps worth keeping. Maybe watch os 2 will change this as apps will load faster and be less limited with their UI. Now that I think about it more, it's the third party complications that I look forward to most. More super fast access to info from the watch face.

I like it well enough that I think I'll keep it

Using it for all those as well keeping tabs on how active I am throughout the day.

I've jogged with my Modern Buckle a few times but always wipe the sweat off when I'm done. I may try and pick up a sportband today if the local apple store has them.

I've actually been wondering if anyone here has any tips on how to maintain the leather? I was reading some high-end fashion blog discussing leather watch straps and they were made to sound notoriously fragile. The blog in questions said to expect them to last about a year. I wasn't really sure what they meant by that, and I'm not expecting my modern buckle to disintigrate over the next 11 month, but it did make me look into leather balms and the like.

I have noticed a few faint black marks appear on the edges of the band which I'm assuming are scuff marks. I am planning on getting some type of leather care product at some point in the future.

I really like the modern buckle and couldn't imagine using one of the other watch bands. Whenever I see other peoples watches they look "wrong" to me because I'm so used to - and fond of the way the MB looks. However, for a 250$ leather strap I am questioning the level of quality. I have no experience with leather whatsoever, but I do look at it and wonder what its gonna like in three years.

IDK.

I think dyed leather does not last very long

LCfiner

Just thinking now that my most anticipated third party complication is a weather app that shows the forecast for the next few hours instead of current weather. (realistically, the only space for this is in the main complication window for the modular face)

I rarely care about current weather (I can look out a window) I need to know if it's going to rain later in the day (4 or 8 hours away) and I'd prefer not to have to tap the weather complication to load the app to find this out.

I'm hoping someone makes this soon for watch os2.

Just thinking now that my most anticipated third part complication is a weather app that shows the forecast for the next few hours instead of current weather. (realistically, the only space for this is in the main complication window for the modular face)

I rarely care about current weather (I can look out a window) I need to know if it's going to rain later in the day (4 or 8 hours away) and I'd prefer not to have to tap the weather complication to load the app to find this out.

I'm hoping someone makes this soon for watch os2.

Dark Sky tweeted about 3rd party complications so I imagine they'll release one once they can.

LCfiner

Dark Sky tweeted about 3rd party complications so I imagine they'll release one once they can.

unfortunately, i don't get dark sky in Canada but I figure that's the kind of thing that will be useful and a natural fit. good stuff.

your post did get me to search and found the raincoat app. get a notification 15 minutes before it starts to rain. i'll see how that works for now. seems like a good fit for a watch notification.

edit: unrelated: the first time I got a notification for achieving my daily activity goals, I was literally dipping a spoon into a pint of ice cream. It was pretty great.

Hey friends, serious question here–

I'm strongly considering buying an Apple watch the second week of July. With rumblings of the next watch already happening, do you think I should still go ahead and purchase it? I'd be getting the Apple Watch Sport in the smallest size–I have dainty wrists lol.

LCfiner

I'm strongly considering buying an Apple watch the second week of July. With rumblings of the next watch already happening, do you think I should still go ahead and purchase it? I'd be getting the Apple Watch Sport in the smallest size–I have dainty wrists lol.

based on the rumors that I saw (front facing camera, more robust wireless capabilities), I wouldn't bother waiting for next year's model if you want one now. keep in mind that those rumblings are for hardware that is still likely 9 months out...

but everyone's wants are different.if the new hardware features being rumored seem like really big additions to you, then wait it out.

SonnyBoy

I took my Sport in the pool with my daughter over the weekend without a problem. I think I'll leave it on moving forward whenever I'm in a pool.

Fliesen

the AppleWatch isn't even officially available in many countries that are part of the 1st wave of rollouts of the iPhone (like Austria, for example)

no way they're going to shift production to gen 2 before even saturating the early adopter market with gen 1.
don't expect a gen 2 apple watch before first half of 2016

SuperPac

unfortunately, i don't get dark sky in Canada but I figure that's the kind of thing that will be useful and a natural fit. good stuff.

your post did get me to search and found the raincoat app. get a notification 15 minutes before it starts to rain. i'll see how that works for now. seems like a good fit for a watch notification.

edit: unrelated: the first time I got a notification for achieving my daily activity goals, I was literally dipping a spoon into a pint of ice cream. It was pretty great.

BTW in Watch OS 2 you can use Time Travel (spinning the digital crown on the watch face) to find out the expected temperature or weather info for later in the day. So you might not need a complication specifically dedicated to weather later in the day. Complications being somewhat space-limited this might be a function better handled by Time Travel anyway. :D

LCfiner

BTW in Watch OS 2 you can use Time Travel (spinning the digital crown on the watch face) to find out the expected temperature or weather info for later in the day. So you might not need a complication specifically dedicated to weather later in the day. Complications being somewhat space-limited this might be a function better handled by Time Travel anyway. :D

that’s true! i remember seeing that demo and thinking it would be totally useful then i just forgot about it, lol. thanks for reminding me! the stuff i want will be built into the OS, pretty much.

time travel seems like a great implementation for a really useful feature. and, like you say, it can work with smaller implementations of the weather complication (or any future weather complication that will display precipitation along with temp in a small space)

Ninja Dom

What's everybody's most used Watch face?

I've been using Utility almost exclusively since I got the Watch nearly 2 weeks ago.

I also like Simple with just the hands and nothing else on the screen.

I've been using Utility almost exclusively since I got the Watch nearly 2 weeks ago.

I had been using Simple for the first few weeks I had my Watch, but I switched to Modular since it allows me to have more info via complications at a glance.

I keep going back to modular face because I like seeing as much info as possible with a quick glance, which to me is kind of the point of a smart watch

LCfiner

I’ve been embracing the digital nature of the watch and using modular and solar pretty much exclusively (typically modular during my work day and solar at home). a little bit of the motion face, too, but not much.

Of all the analog faces, i like utility the best.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been able to use anything but the watch face called simple.

A few questions:

- Does the watch have an alarm function like the iPhone?
- Is the timer and stopwatch feature built in?
- Anyone with some feedback using the watch with an iPhone 5?
- If you walk do you have to swing your arm or can it pick up a walking movement with your arms folded. Thinking of walking with a stroller or a bag where one hand is kept still

Cheers guys

- If you walk do you have to swing your arm or can it pick up a walking movement with your arms folded. Thinking of walking with a stroller or a bag where one hand is kept still

yes
yes
don't see why it would be much different
picks up the movement of you walking

jts

...hate me...
A few questions:

Cheers guys

Supposedly the timer is much better since you can set multiple timers simultaneously.

It's going to be a game changer for me in the kitchen.

jts

...hate me...
Hopefully you can name each timer then.
It's not crazy hard to keep track of the order of things, unlike keeping track of the exact time.

Like, say, when something goes in the oven for one hour or more but you still want to create additional timers as you make the sides etc.

I don't mean too complex things.

I've been wanting for the iPhone to this natively in a long time, but the Watch having it is excellent (and even more practical due to being always on the wrist and handsfree Siri).

Ninja Dom

I've just checked and you can only have one Timer counting down at one time.

You can have multiple split times in the Stopwatch app.

But only one timer at a time in the Timer app. Your only controls are to Pause and Reset. Force Touching allows you to change it from 12 to 24 hour.

jts

...hate me...
I've just checked and you can only have one Timer counting down at one time.

You can have multiple split times in the Stopwatch app.

But only one timer at a time in the Timer app. Your only controls are to Pause and Reset. Force Touching allows you to change it from 12 to 24 hour.

Oh shit, I could've sworn I saw Apple materials saying that explicitly, and was excited for that ever since.

Now I googled it, and found people who saw it as well (link).

lvPFybp.jpg

Apple messed up the description for alarm and timer back then.

Bummer :(

Ninja Dom

I went to the Modular Watch Face and made every single Complication a Timer. So I had 5 timers on the screen at once.

BUT, once you set the countdown timer value, all 5 Complications use the SAME timer value and countdown at the same time.

Charcoal

Quick question guys.

Given that the watch has been out for a while now, what's the general consensus on the black stainless steel? I've read it easily show scratches, but how bad exactly? Thanks!

It may have happened earlier and I just didn't realize it but I think the latest update to Facebook Messenger added the option to mute conversations or send a thumbs up directly from Watch notifications.

Quick question guys.

Given that the watch has been out for a while now, what's the general consensus on the black stainless steel? I've read it easily show scratches, but how bad exactly? Thanks!

Do enough people even have these watches yet to get a good idea of how bad it is?

Quick question guys.

check out macrumors forums about it, it's hard to say it's a problem with so few people even having it right now and the ones that do have an issue will obviously be very vocal about it

I hate organizing apps on the watch, it's such a pain in the ass to get them to stay in the spot I want them to while dragging another app around.

Top Bottom