• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Fliesen

A few questions:

- Does the watch have an alarm function like the iPhone?
- Is the timer and stopwatch feature built in?
- Anyone with some feedback using the watch with an iPhone 5?
- If you walk do you have to swing your arm or can it pick up a walking movement with your arms folded. Thinking of walking with a stroller or a bag where one hand is kept still

Cheers guys

people new to these kinds of devices always think a movement tracker only tracks swinging of the wrist. Or, on the other hand, think that a movement tracker would not know the difference between riding a bicycle at 20mph and running 20 mph.
What it actually does is look for patterns that indicate a certain type of movement. Like tiny "bumps" every so often that signify your steps, up and down movement that signify you're running, etc.
So yes, it'll work perfectly fine, whether you're pushing a stroller, carrying a bag or holding a balloon ;)

I don't use it, but I've read complaints that by the time Jellyfish actually displays the screens turns off on you.

https://vid.me/e/upxe

that's long enough, imho.

123rl

If anyone with a watch is looking for a new strap, I can recommend this leather one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XH9HQ12/

Nice quality black leather and it comes with a screwdriver to replace the adaptor. I've order a black aluminium adaptor so it better fits my watch, but it looks fine with the SS adaptor that comes with this strap.

people new to these kinds of devices always think a movement tracker only tracks swinging of the wrist. Or, on the other hand, think that a movement tracker would not know the difference between riding a bicycle at 20mph and running 20 mph.
What it actually does is look for patterns that indicate a certain type of movement. Like tiny "bumps" every so often that signify your steps, up and down movement that signify you're running, etc.
So yes, it'll work perfectly fine, whether you're pushing a stroller, carrying a bag or holding a balloon ;)

Cheers for the feedback... I am trying to sell it to my wife and just need as much ammo as possible as I want to get one too.

japtor

Quick question guys.

Given that the watch has been out for a while now, what's the general consensus on the black stainless steel? I've read it easily show scratches, but how bad exactly? Thanks!
From what I've read vaguely skimming the Mac Rumors forums occasionally, the plain steel scratches easily while the space black shows fingerprints/oils. The nice thing about the plain steel is that you can just polish stuff away, or brush away on the links. Can't do the same with the DLC coating on the black models. More durable but less repairable if it gets damaged.

Scratching doesn't seem like a major issue with it, I think I've seen two with scratches on the body (and one of them is really hard to see), but there's only so many that have it so who knows. A more concerning thing to me is that some people have coating coming off on one of the inner links which appears to be a defect, Apple took them in for inspection. Anyway it seems like they've been shipping a lot more out in the last two weeks, I'll have mine in today hopefully.

Fox1304

Finally ! Watch OS2 Beta 2 is so much better battery-wise. Went from turning off at 5PM to putting it to charge at midnight with 30% left.
I can use my watch again, yay.

Ninja Dom

Has anybody seen anyone else out with the Apple Watch? Or anybody on TV wearing them?

Yesterday the manager of my local bar/pub was wearing an aluminium Sport with white sport band. And today on This Morning (UK morning TV show) Rylan Clark (presenter) had on a Stainless Steel with Milanese loop.

Can't figure out Messages.

At first, when a Message came in, my locked phone would get it, but not notify, and my watch would get it and notify...the behavior I want.

What's happening now is the locked phone is notifying first and 15 seconds later, my watch is notifying. No idea why it changed but getting two notifications for one Message is annoying.

Majine

Banned
Wee, finally! I was starting to think it wouldn't be summer before it got here.

And the prices... are higher than I expected.

:/

Shearie

Can't figure out Messages.

At first, when a Message came in, my locked phone would get it, but not notify, and my watch would get it and notify...the behavior I want.

What's happening now is the locked phone is notifying first and 15 seconds later, my watch is notifying. No idea why it changed but getting two notifications for one Message is annoying.

It's a bug.

Normal behavior is what you first described.

japtor

Has anybody seen anyone else out with the Apple Watch? Or anybody on TV wearing them?

Yesterday the manager of my local bar/pub was wearing an aluminium Sport with white sport band. And today on This Morning (UK morning TV show) Rylan Clark (presenter) had on a Stainless Steel with Milanese loop.
I saw Charlie Rose had one, and was interviewing some guys that wrote "what is code" or some big recent article, at least one of those guys had one too. Chris Bosh was on Inside the NBA (sponsored by Samsung) or NBA TV and had one too. Not sure I've seen anyone in the wild yet, but looking around has made me notice how many people still wear (or have restarted wearing?) watches in general.

Anyway I got mine yesterday, copy pasting what I wrote elsewhere here. Space black is pretty cool. Looks like a lighter gunmetal under natural light, otherwise black right now under my house lighting, while the Milanese loop is especially blingy under the sun. I was originally thinking about selling the space black bracelet but it looks pretty nice so I guess I'll keep it.

And mentioned a while ago but yeah, both space black parts are fingerprint/oil magnets.

i got the big watch I think i have to return it for the small one, I am on the small sport strap on the second to last peg. If i move my hand the crown digs in to my hand. The watch is tooo thick!!!!!

Saw a video with Jordan Henderson and Lucas Leiva and they were both wearing one.
They're starting to get around now.

So, I was dead set against this device, wasnt happy with it being a remote access type situation with the phone...

Played with my friends on friday and tried it on...

Reserved one Saturday morning at the Bath store at 6am when the store's reservation system opened and drove down there.

I'm sold on it.
The latest OS thats coming to it certainly swayed me with the native apps that can soon come to it, but having it on my wrist as an extension of my phone is amazing.
All the notifications, little glances you can do, its VERY handy instead of getting the iPhone 6 Plus out all of the time.

I look forward to where they take this, given this is the first version of it.

I went for the 42MM Apple Sport Watch Black.

Happily eating crow right now.

Mik2121

Is it possible to buy it at stores now?

If I go to the Apple website, it says it delivers the next day, but I'd rather go to the store and decide there.

Also, is the Space Grey sport one too ugly? I was thinking about buying that one, and on the website it looks alright (better than the average Sport one, at least to me). Will probably go and check out one at a store soon.

Is it possible to buy it at stores now?

If I go to the Apple website, it says it delivers the next day, but I'd rather go to the store and decide there.

Also, is the Space Grey sport one too ugly? I was thinking about buying that one, and on the website it looks alright (better than the average Sport one, at least to me). Will probably go and check out one at a store soon.

I clicked the check stock button at stores and it let me select Bath, my nearest one.
You can only reserve for the same day though and when the store closes so does the reservation system until 6am the next day.

The sport black one I have is very nice, very subtle.

You dont have to reserve... I went to the Reading UK store and they had loads in stock. Caught me off guard as I did not expect it. End of the month is close and my wife also want one. oooooh pressure

Mik2121

Uhm... I see. Now the other problem is how ridiculously expensive this gets after taxes and all. The price becomes 52,488 Yen, which is about $424 for the 38mm Space Grey Sport watch with the Apple Care thing (is it worth it?).

I will still go and check it out at the store and might end up grabbing one though. Too bad there's pretty much nothing to record weightlifting sessions and it's all just cardio :(

Saw a watch in the wild yesterday at a great hamburger joint. Dude at the table was wearing one. I never consciously look for them, so I'm sure I'm missing others. None of my friends or family have one yet.

Guys and Gals....

So is it worth it to get the regular watch model over the sports model? My main objective is to do some biking and running with it (mostly running) and I am not sure if the aluminum cover is more pratical than the stainless steel. I dont "plan" on dropping it so I am not worried about the screen cracking....
what say the masses on GAF?

Guys and Gals....

So is it worth it to get the regular watch model over the sports model? My main objective is to do some biking and running with it (mostly running) and I am not sure if the aluminum cover is more pratical than the stainless steel. I dont "plan" on dropping it so I am not worried about the screen cracking....

The glass is a bit weaker on the sport model, but the aluminum also makes it about 30% lighter. If sports are your only goal, that's something to consider. The stainless steel is just as durable, but with the better glass, but also heavier. Also, personal preference, I think it looks a lot better, especially when using it as a day-to-day watch

Phreaker

Guys and Gals....

If you are only interested in the "sports" aspect of it, I'd say go for the sport - it's a lot cheaper. The only reason to go SS is if you prefer its looks over the aluminum case and money is no object.

Ninja Dom

How's your budget?

I got a Space Grey Sport and I love it. If I could I would have got a Stainless Steel but I do prefer the darker colour of the Space Grey. Stainless Steel was out of my budget. So I'm happy.

Ninja Dom

guessing we'll get an small watchOS update tomorrow along with iOS 8.4 for Apple Music.

I've looked at the Apple Music website but I can't figure out how the Watch integrates with Apple Music.

Surely it just transfers your playlists over? Which is what it currently does now, right?

If you are only interested in the "sports" aspect of it, I'd say go for the sport - it's a lot cheaper. The only reason to go SS is if you prefer its looks over the aluminum case and money is no object.

I think my issue is that I like the look of stainless steel... But I am afraid it would scratch????? Would it be more prone to scratch?

Mik2121

I think my issue is that I like the look of stainless steel... But I am afraid it would scratch????? Would it be more prone to scratch?

I ended up grabbing a Space Grey Sport Watch and I personally like how the dark aluminum looks, plus it's very lightweight and cooler to the touch than the stainless steel.
If I could choose, I would probably still pick the Space Grey stainless one, but the aluminum looks great as well and it's so much cheaper that deciding on it took me a few seconds only :p

Moreche

Just purchased a 42 SS with black leather loop.
I love how the band connects to the watch and the magnetic closing.
It's a great device and I'll definitely keep it just because I really like how it looks and feels but it really feels like a device that was released just for the
sake of it.
But it's the best smart watch out there at the moment.
I really like the apple ecosystem but apple make it very hard for me with their MacBook prices.

Ninja Dom

Congrats on the Watch. 👌🏿

Did you need a new watch? Did you have an exiting watch?

For me  Watch is the first watch I've ever bought as an adult. I've never worn a watch before. So even buying the Sport was a big deal for me and a lot of money at £330.

But I'm more than happy with it.

But it's the best smart watch out there at the moment.
I really like the apple ecosystem but apple make it very hard for me with their MacBook prices.

It's a one-time thing, though. After you buy a MacBook, you can sell it a few years later for a new one and still get like half it's value. Same with iPhones. I actually make a profit on iPhones (not including the subsidy hidden in contracts).

It's a one-time thing, though. After you buy a MacBook, you can sell it a few years later for a new one and still get like half it's value. Same with iPhones. I actually make a profit on iPhones (not including the subsidy hidden in contracts).

I don't see the resale value of Apple Watches being high like it is for other Apple devices

Moreche

Congrats on the Watch. 👌🏿

Did you need a new watch? Did you have an exiting watch?

For me  Watch is the first watch I've ever bought as an adult. I've never worn a watch before. So even buying the Sport was a big deal for me and a lot of money at £330.

But I'm more than happy with it.
Same for me, first watch in years.
But I'm really enjoying it for what it does, the emotes and heartbeats are awful though. But as a remote for my music and a reason to not have my phone constantly being checked is fantastic.
I think most people's disappointment comes from expecting too much from it especially if they bought the SS version. Personally I love the SS for it feel and looks.
Great device, well done apple.

Great use for my watch today. So I was on the sales floor, obviously unable to check my phone, and I get a tap notification that a text came in. Quickly glanced, it's my other job saying that first person to reply gets the night off. I didn't want to dictate to Siri in the middle of the sales floor, so I just quickly shot off an emoji, and it totally counted. Got the night off

Mobius 1

I'm getting at the end of the day (put it on around 7AM, remove it around 12AM) with 50% battery, wearing it all day. So I'm either not using the watch very much... or the battery concerns were unfounded.

I'm getting at the end of the day (put it on around 7AM, remove it around 12AM) with 50% battery, wearing it all day. So I'm either not using the watch very much... or the battery concerns were unfounded.

Battery concerns were because they didn't mention it at the reveal, which made people suspicious. You can easily go two days without charging

Top Bottom