• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Ok question for you guys.

I have an Apple gift card sitting in Passbook. Is there any way to add the balance to the Apple Store app in advance?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I feel like silver with the blue or black leather loop might actually look pretty good.

aluminum-and-leather.jpg

I looked... because I am still only 80% sold on stainless steel.. I just worry that the aluminum body will look... I don't want to say cheap... but.. hmm.. well fine, sporty.. and putting a premium band on a sporty body will look off. kind of like taking a high end sport/utility watch and throwing a steel band or classic leather strap on it.

I actually think the Sport with the default bands looks awesome.. like REALLY good. my biggest turn off of the sport is exactly this.. I just think it may look off with a premium band.

Fliesen

Ok, that settled it for me. In digging those combinations.

same here. i might skip the black sports band altogether then and get one of these for semi-casual wear. How much are they for the 38mm?

edit: great, they're non-existant. :(
edit2: also 149$ for a watchband isn't justifiable for me.

Might opt for some non-apple branded leather band later-on.

I like the look of the leather loop bands but not sure how secure they'll be. You probably need to keep the watch tight to the wrist for decent heart rate readings, so really need to try one in person first.

Going to go with stainless steel + black sports band tomorrow morning. Those reviews have deflated my hype somewhat but that's probably a good thing.

TKR92

I was set on the space grey Sport as well, but I changed my iPhone 5 case last night and was reminded of how terrible all the little silver nicks look. I'll probably keep my Watch for around 18 months and I don't want to end up staring at that every day, so I decided to go for the silver Sport Watch with white band for now.

Exactly my sentiment. I just cannot trust the aluminum case.

same here. i might skip the black sports band altogether then and get one of these for semi-casual wear. How much are they for the 38mm?

edit: great, they're non-existant. :(
edit2: also 149$ for a watchband isn't justifiable for me.

Might opt for some non-apple branded leather band later-on.

There are already knockoffs on Amazon.

kaskade

I think I should just go with my first instinct of black on black.

I don't see the black getting too beat up though, didn't they fix that problem after the 5?

jts

...hate me...
There isn't a single hands on the Watch Sport?

edit: Sorry, dumb question. I meant the black Watch Sport.

Majine

Banned
I don't like the look of the stainless steel watch from the review videos. 2glossy4me. I haven't seen the aluminum as much, but I like it on the iPhone.

number11

I'm definitely gonna have to end up seeing how these combinations look before buying. My plan is to buy a sports watch/extra leather strap so I can wear it at the gym, as well as with a suit.. but i'm worried by how 'cheap' the aluminium will look.

Fliesen

Yes, I believe you'll just have to buy it separately.

well, while the leather loop directly connect to the watch "body", the classic leather bands have "connectors" that should match your watch.

they seem to only come with a stainless steel endpiece, not an anodized aluminum one.

so it might look like this.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The back of my space gray looks mint after 2 years. (no case, not careful)
It's the edges that are dinged, but that'd be true of any material.

I don't like the look of the stainless steel watch from the review videos. 2glossy4me. I haven't seen the aluminum as much, but I like it on the iPhone.

Yeah, wish there was a brushed version of the steel.

subrock

I was set on the space grey Sport as well, but I changed my iPhone 5 case last night and was reminded of how terrible all the little silver nicks look. I'll probably keep my Watch for around 18 months and I don't want to end up staring at that every day, so I decided to go for the silver Sport Watch with white band for now.
The iPhone 5 isn't space grey though. I had crazy scratching problems with the 5 but haven't since they switched to space grey.

I feel exactly the same way. I think the polished stainless looks gaudy. I could tolerate the black one, but I don't think I could do the regular stainless. I guess we'll see what supply levels are like and I may change my mind.

kaskade

I finally read the gruber review and besides that silly flirting part is was pretty good. I was actually most interested in this little excerpt

The Sport Band is a downright revelation — I’d go so far as to call it the most comfortable watch band I’ve ever worn. I’ve rolled my eyes at Apple’s use of fluoroelastomer in lieu of rubber to describe the material of these bands, but it truly does have a premium, richly supple feel to it. The way the end of the band tucks under the other side of the strap — a design Marc Newson first used at Ikepod — is brilliant. Up until now, it struck me as odd that the $10,000 Edition models came with the same bands4 as the entry-model $349/399 Sport watches. Having worn it, it now strikes me the other way around — that the $349/399 Sport watches are equipped with straps that can genuinely be described as luxurious, fluoroelastomer or not.

jts

...hate me...
The iPhone 5 isn't space grey though. I had crazy scratching problems with the 5 but haven't since they switched to space grey.
This space grey does seem a whole lot darker than the one on the iPhone 6, for example.

But I guess that, in the end, it comes down to a product by product analysis. I remember that the slate colour was common both to the iPhone 5 and iPad mini (in fact, I had both) and the iPad mini was wayyyyy more resistant, as if the coating was thicker. Anand explained this at some point.

Weather we are or not on the verge of yet another scuffgate, we can't tell yet.

I was the one who originally brought up the space gray or silver debate and not I think I'm back to space gray/black sport ban combo. The more I think about it, the more I think it looks good enough to wear for any occasion. Now if I go to preorder and it's sold out though I'd be fine with the silver.

LeleSocho

Banned

You don't have a Space Grey iPhone though you have a Slate one, the two are a world of differences apart.
The Slate one when it chips looks horribad but the Space Gray doesn't.

I was the one who originally brought up the space gray or silver debate and not I think I'm back to space gray/black sport ban combo. The more I think about it, the more I think it looks good enough to wear for any occasion. Now if I go to preorder and it's sold out though I'd be fine with the silver.

Unless you're wearing brown shoes and a brown belt!

I keep flip-flopping on this matter too.

Futureman

I like in the Verge review where the guy says the milanese loop is too ugly for him to wear and then he has that.... thing... on his other wrist.

So you guy worried about getting a Watch on launch? Sounds like demand is gonna outstrip supply.

I feel exactly the same way. I think the polished stainless looks gaudy. I could tolerate the black one, but I don't think I could do the regular stainless. I guess we'll see what supply levels are like and I may change my mind.

Derp, of course.

SuperPac

There isn't a single hands on the Watch Sport?

edit: Sorry, dumb question. I meant the black Watch Sport.

I can't recall seeing a review in the bunch released yesterday that pictures the Sport model or mentions they used that one. Everyone got Stainless Steel apparently?

I like in the Verge review where the guy says the milanese loop is too ugly for him to wear and then he has that.... thing... on his other wrist.

So you guy worried about getting a Watch on launch? Sounds like demand is gonna outstrip supply.

I don't know anyone other than myself who plans on buying this thing. I think it will be like the iPad where nobody thinks they want one until they get some hands on time, then it blows up.

Futureman

I don't know anyone other than myself who plans on buying this thing. I think it will be like the iPad where nobody thinks they want one until they get some hands on time, then it blows up.

"We expect that strong customer demand will exceed our supply at launch,” said Angela Ahrendts, Apple’s senior vice president of Retail and Online Stores.

plus Apple website was apparently saying some models wouldn't be available for immediate delivery I guess.

Unless you're wearing brown shoes and a brown belt!

I keep flip-flopping on this matter too.

Dammit. The one use case I didn't think about lol! Funny thing is that even with all of the overthinking of this that I'm doing, come 3 am when I go to preorder my brain is going to be so tired that I'm not even going to care which one I order because I'm just going to want to go to bed.

"We expect that strong customer demand will exceed our supply at launch,” said Angela Ahrendts, Apple’s senior vice president of Retail and Online Stores.

plus Apple website was apparently saying some models wouldn't be available for immediate delivery I guess.

Well of course they're going to say that. I think that they are much more supply constrained than they're letting on.

Appleman

Yeah, in fact, this is kinda the first time I don't really want to be the only one that has one, I don't buy this stuff as a status symbol but I think until it takes off and becomes commonplace it's going to feel pretty dorky around people

borghe

Yeah, in fact, this is kinda the first time I don't really want to be the only one that has one, I don't buy this stuff as a status symbol but I think until it takes off and becomes commonplace it's going to feel pretty dorky around people

I get this... but for my peace of mind I think the stainless steel version will circumvent that stigma a little more than the sport. sport definitely comes across as more "geek chic". the stainless steel definitely carries more of an air of "fashion accessory", a little more than the sport at least.

either way though I really don't think it will matter in a year or two. really see wearables being pretty commonplace within the next 3 years.

mrkgoo

I'm doing 42mm Stainless Steel Watch w/Black Sport Band.

You have big hands though right?

I'm not sure I can justify stainless steel at this junction. I mean it seems a bit crazy knowing gen 2 will be significantly improved so u might get in for as cheap as I can and down the road when the product is mature then pop for the one I actually want.

kaskade

I feel like the reason I don't want to invest a lot in the first gen is that the next one, or one after is going to iron out a lot of issues and become more useful. I'm hoping by then I'll have one of my job opportunities come through and I'll have a little more disposable income so I wouldn't mind spending the extra on a nice band and stainless case. Also, I'll be in an IT department so it really won't matter.

LCfiner

That is exactly what I've been wrestling with. The space gray looks great with that black band, but horrible with everything else. My current plan is to grab the silver sport with the light blue band, then pull the trigger on a second black band to go with it. Amazon seems to have some identical looking bands at about half the price Apple is asking for.

your 5 isn't space grey. it's black. black showed nicks. space grey does not.

edit: wrong quote. nvm

SuperPac

I'm not sure I can justify stainless steel at this junction. I mean it seems a bit crazy knowing gen 2 will be significantly improved so u might get in for as cheap as I can and down the road when the product is mature then pop for the one I actually want.

I'd say I have larger man hands, sure.

I'll worry about gen 2 when it's available. For now, I want to wear the stainless steel watch.

borghe

your 5 isn't space grey. it's black. black showed nicks. space grey does not.

as someone who had to fight with AT&T on getting the full value for my space grey 5s............ it definitely shows nicks... just saying. I mean they have to go a little deeper than the black 5 did, but without even being gouges they still show up more than the brushed aluminum.

I personally don't think gen 2 will be "significantly" improved. I think it'll have some small improvements, but the big improvements that need to be made are all software-based (like the native SDK that developers will have access to which will speed up all new third-party software, and give it more functionality). Third-gen is generally where Apple tends to make the big improvements to their hardware, second-gen is generally "well, we left out something from first-gen, so here it is.".

I'm ordering the Space Black SS tonight, because anytime I look to find cheaper alternatives, my eyes just keep going back to how great that looks with its band. If I'm gonna spend hundreds of dollars on an Apple Watch anyways, I'll spend a few hundred more to make sure it looks great (and my awesome tax return is paying for it!)

well, while the leather loop directly connect to the watch "body", the classic leather bands have "connectors" that should match your watch.

they seem to only come with a stainless steel endpiece, not an anodized aluminum one.

so it might look like this.

Honestly... that's not as jarring as I thought it would be

Anyone else on the east coast staying up until 3 am to pre order this thing?

I am. I'm going to try and get a SS with black sport band and a Sport with the Salmon colored band for the wife. I'm very excited to have a new apple gadget to toy with.

Appleman

I'm thinking about it, but I think I'd really rather go in-store this weekend and try on the different sizes and styles... I'm worried that'll put me way behind in the order queue

I get this... but for my peace of mind I think the stainless steel version will circumvent that stigma a little more than the sport. sport definitely comes across as more "geek chic". the stainless steel definitely carries more of an air of "fashion accessory", a little more than the sport at least.

either way though I really don't think it will matter in a year or two. really see wearables being pretty commonplace within the next 3 years.

I think part of it is how expensive it is. I have no problem with the price for a well-crafted watch personally, but I could definitely see myself getting teased a lot for dropping close to a thousand bucks on a smartwatch. Still probably going Steel + Black Sport band for now, but the Apple Watch Sport almost gets away with it as more of a commonplace fitness tracker type thing.

Hope it takes off though, just for more widespread wearable adoption, feels like there's a ton of potential in the category

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see how you get that impression from Gruber's writing on the subject.
He shrugs off the timekeeping claims as braggadocio, goes on at length and how it's not convenient as a watch (the only good thing he has to say about it is you can see it in the dark), nitpicks the design of the screen and bezel looking bad in direct light when it's off, says it's slow and that the only truly compelling stuff the device does requires your friends and family to have one too...

Epix

I'm thinking about it, but I think I'd really rather go in-store this weekend and try on the different sizes and styles... I'm worried that'll put me way behind in the order queue

Why not order tonight and then go try on. You can always cancel before you get charged.

I'll be grabbing this tonight...
  • 42mm Stainless Steel
  • Classic Buckle
  • Brown Leather Loop
  • White Sports Band

borghe

He shrugs off the timekeeping claims as braggadocio, goes on at length and how it's not convenient as a watch (the only good thing he has to say about it is you can see it in the dark), nitpicks the design of the screen and bezel looking bad in direct light when it's off, says it's slow and that the only truly compelling stuff the device does requires your friends and family to have one too...

this is a really one-sided impression of his review.

his time keeping complaints come down almost solely to people who are regular watch wearers (which is an issue all smart watches will have to compete with, or destroy battery life, or deal with the vast limitations of eInk screens). For non-watch wearers he admitted that the timekeeping annoyances almost certainly won't be there.

his thoughts on the device

It has the finest fit and finish of any Apple product I’ve ever used. It is a wonderfully well-constructed and designed object.

he goes on to say

In bright sunlight and certain severe indoor lighting, you can see the display apart from the surrounding bezel. But in most cases, Apple Watch doesn’t look like a gadget with a display — it looks like a watch with a black face.

he then goes on to talk about the differences between the look of a traditional watch and apple watch, not nitpicking.. nowhere does he say anything remotely close to "the screen and bezel looking bad in direct light when it's off"

he never mentions speed (not sure where you read that), and actually mentioned both the taptic engine AND digital touch as revelations.. only the latter which requires other watch users..

basically his review reads nothing like you described it. his review reads "if you're a regular watch wearer, there are some trade offs here. if you're looking for a smart watch it a great smart watch"

SuperPac

I thought about getting a leather loop but it's hard for me to tell how it'd look/feel in reality and they're kinda pricey bands. So I'm going with a Sport Band for my order - then I'll check out the leather loop in a try-on appointment or something. Also considered the link bracelet but not gonna do that this time around.

Top Bottom