• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

his review reads "if you're a regular watch wearer, there are some trade offs here. if you're looking for a smart watch it a great smart watch"

And really, that's the feeling I get from all the reviews. They all basically say "This is the best of all the currently available smart watches, but it still could use some work to make it better."

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
And really, that's the feeling I get from all the reviews. They all basically say "This is the best of all the currently available smart watches, but it still could use some work to make it better."

I don't really know how they are going to make it perfect though with current battery tech. I mean apple CAN go a long way by giving more screen time options, definitely. but what watch wearers basically want is "nearly almost always on" which either requires eInk and all the massive compromises that come with that, or will eat through modern battery tech like no tomorrow. not sure how the modern smart watches will be able to handle that while providing true "on demand' time viewing.

I'm thinking about it, but I think I'd really rather go in-store this weekend and try on the different sizes and styles... I'm worried that'll put me way behind in the order queue

Order the basic watch you think you want with a sports band, and then go in store to see different styles and such... if you really hate the watch you ordered, just cancel it before the 24th?

Terrell

Someone looking at their watch during a conversation is no less rude than someone checking their phone during a conversation. In theory using a smart watch should let you be more 'present' - you have a quick check of a notification to check the importance and then are back to what you were doing. I hope most people won't have Twitter/Facebook on there, gets annoying quickly having your wrist buzz all the time.
I only get FB notifications when someone I listed as a close friend posts a status or when someone comments on my posts. I get maybe 2 FB notifications a day on average. Everything else is badged on the icon. And I like that feature, always wished more apps had it. I think Apple Watch will make app developers more mindful of things like that.

I'm surprised nobody talked more about the haptic stuff. I'm really curious how different it is (or isn't) compared to normal vibration on your wrist. Does it really feel like a tap? Can it do more than tap simple rhythms - eg can it tap left/right? Is it quieter than the equivalent android wear watches with basic vibration?
One of the reviews (Gruber, I think) mentioned it's smart enough to simulate resistance on the digital crown when you scroll to the bottom of a page. Others stated that the notifications definitely have precise and different tactile sensations.

Majine

Banned
It'd be great if you could put one tap for important notifications and two taps for non-important. Is that something you can do?

I don't really know how they are going to make it perfect though with current battery tech. I mean apple CAN go a long way by giving more screen time options, definitely. but what watch wearers basically want is "nearly almost always on" which either requires eInk and all the massive compromises that come with that, or will eat through modern battery tech like no tomorrow. not sure how the modern smart watches will be able to handle that while providing true "on demand' time viewing.

If Apple used an OLED display, it wouldn't be hard to show the time constantly on Apple Watch 2 next year.

The burn-in from doing that would be horrifying though.

Which is probably why Apple didn't do that with Apple Watch 1 come to think of it.

The problem isn't current battery tech, it's current display tech.

I like the space black steel watch but I feel like this would drive me crazy if I decided to get a leather band as well.

bzypL25.png

Edit:

If Apple used an OLED display, it wouldn't be hard to show the time constantly on Apple Watch 2 next year.

Isn't it using OLED?

Which is probably why Apple didn't do that with Apple Watch 1 come to think of it.

The problem isn't current battery tech, it's current display tech.

This is not true. AMOLED require multiple power rails to operate just like LCD screens.

Nafai1123

Banned

It's already doable though. There are smartwatches out today that can last over a day with the screen always on (LG Watch R and Zenwatch). I think the main issue is Apple wanted their watch to be smaller and thus they have to use a smaller battery.

TxdoHawk

I like the space black steel watch but I feel like this would drive me crazy if I decided to get a leather band as well.

bzypL25.png

Hard to say without wearing one, but I feel like you'd barely notice this once it was strapped onto your wrist. I could be very wrong, of course, but I also think the third-party market is going to step in and solve this problem.

they also think that water is wet. :p

yeah... pretty much certain that if I sleep til my normal wake up time I'll be looking at over a month wait... fuck..

Just wake up and spend 45 minutes trying to get through to order one. Sure, you'll be a bit sleepy and crabby tomorrow, but you'll rest easy knowing you've got your watch ordered and not stressing out about having to wait a month to get it. :)

cakefoo

Have any impressions for the sport model mentioned how hard/easy it is to put it on? That "Day with the Apple Watch" video showed her struggling, but I wouldn't take anything in the video seriously.

SuperPac

Have any impressions for the sport model mentioned how hard/easy it is to put it on? That "Day with the Apple Watch" video showed her struggling, but I wouldn't take anything in the video seriously.

Just Gruber talking about how comfortable the sport band is.

The Sport Band is a downright revelation — I’d go so far as to call it the most comfortable watch band I’ve ever worn. I’ve rolled my eyes at Apple’s use of fluoroelastomer in lieu of rubber to describe the material of these bands, but it truly does have a premium, richly supple feel to it. The way the end of the band tucks under the other side of the strap — a design Marc Newson first used at Ikepod — is brilliant. Up until now, it struck me as odd that the $10,000 Edition models came with the same bands4 as the entry-model $349/399 Sport watches. Having worn it, it now strikes me the other way around — that the $349/399 Sport watches are equipped with straps that can genuinely be described as luxurious, fluoroelastomer or not.

Hasney

Will still buy for myself because this thing was just made for me as a super power user.

Will wait to recommend to "normies" until next gen.

I don't think some of the slow responsiveness of the OS a lot of the reviews are talking about is for a super power user whatsoever. Hopefully the promised fix does. Indeed fix that.

border

The WSJ Joanna Stern video says Apple doesn't want you to take the watch into the shower.

So to what extent can I get this thing wet? Can I swim with it? Wash my hands? Do the dishes?

Nafai1123

Banned
The WSJ Joanna Stern video says Apple doesn't want you to take the watch into the shower.

So to what extent can I get this thing wet? Can I swim with it? Wash my hands? Do the dishes?

IPX7: Withstands incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes

Suitable activity:Indoor/outdoor use in the presence of rain, snow or brief splashes of water.

Unsuitable activity: Any immersion of more than 1 meter, regardless of duration of immersion, or any immersion of more than 30 minutes, regardless of depth of immersion

kaskade

I'm pretty sure I remember Tim Cook said he takes his in the shower. I don't usually wear my watch in the shower anyway, even if it's waterproof.

I believe with the waterproof rating on the Apple Watch you can wash hands and do dishes. I wouldn't really submerge it though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
It's already doable though. There are smartwatches out today that can last over a day with the screen always on (LG Watch R and Zenwatch). I think the main issue is Apple wanted their watch to be smaller and thus they have to use a smaller battery.

err.. sure. I guess I meant "in that form factor". both the LG and ASUS watches are over 30% larger than Apple Watch (and the LG with a smaller screen).

From what I've seen from printed templates I'm not worried about the size of the 42mm. I do wonder how comfortable I'd be (both ergonomically and aesthetically) with like one of those 51/53mm watches.. definitely a give/take sort of thing.
Any last crucial tips for someone who never participated in an Apple product launch?

yeah, be awake at 12:01am PDT or expect to get in on a second or later shipment :(

it seems apple is doing away with lines at Apple Stores.. which has both pros and cons.. though even if they were selling them there the advice would mostly be the same.. get there early.

SuperPac

Any last crucial tips for someone who never participated in an Apple product launch?

Make sure you have an Apple ID. If you do, make sure your billing info and billing/shipping addresses are in and correct (up to date). You might want to turn 1-click ordering on. If you have the Apple Store app on an iPad or iPhone you might want to use that instead of apple.com (which uses Apple Pay - be sure those settings are right too). And be awake at 3 am! :D

Make sure you have an Apple ID. If you do, make sure your billing info and billing/shipping addresses are in and correct (up to date). You might want to turn 1-click ordering on. If you have the Apple Store app on an iPad or iPhone you might want to use that instead of apple.com (which uses Apple Pay - be sure those settings are right too). And be awake at 3 am! :D

If it's anything like the iPhone 6 pre-order be prepared to stay up for a while after that as well.

border

What is Apple's return policy? I'm still kind of unsure if I will ever be able to get used to wearing a watch, and if it just bugs me all day long I want to make sure I can take it back without eating any restocking fees or whatever.

Juice

What is Apple's return policy? I'm still kind of unsure if I will ever be able to get used to wearing a watch, and if it just bugs me all day long I want to make sure I can take it back without eating any restocking fees or whatever.

14 days, no restocking fees (at least in store, not sure about return shipping)

Oh God, I finally watched that Joanna Stern thing. I love how everyone offers a running commentary on how much battery it has left at any given moment of the day. I have a feeling battery life is going to be murder on this first-gen smartwatch.

"I finally got my wedding dress!"
"Wow, but I finally got my Apple Watch!"
"F*** YOU!!!!"

The Rupert Murdoch cameo was random and hilarious too.

kaskade

It was taking that long with the app?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like this won't be in as much demand as the phone. I can see a lot of people wanting to actually see one or try it out before spending the money.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like this won't be in as much demand as the phone. I can see a lot of people wanting to actually see one or try it out before spending the money.

I feel like there isn't going to be a huge supply of these things available so even with lower demand I think it'll be a while before the second and third shipments come in.

I do not think there will be any problem ordering one within the first 48 hours.

JoseDFrog

Banned
Alarm set for 2:55am. 5 minutes should be enough time to regain consciousness, realize why I'm waking up, and not hate myself enough for doing this yet again for another Apple product...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Blech. I guess I will preorder tonight.. I really wanted to try one in first just on principle. I'm assuming tonight at 12:01 they'll allow us to make appointments for the hands on etc, too?

Blech. I guess I will preorder tonight.. I really wanted to try one in first just on principle. I'm assuming tonight at 12:01 they'll allow us to make appointments for the hands on etc, too?

If you think you'll want one you may as well order it tonight and then go try it in person. You can always cancel before it ships.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It's mostly just the principle of ordering a 900$ computer without trying it out. Of course I can change my mind.. It just feels kinda cavalier.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really not 100% convinced it will sell out sight unseen like an iPhone would. I'm sure some SKUs will be sold out by the time the 24th rolls around but I really will be quite shocked if they're all gone tonight.

Top Bottom