• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't really know how they are going to make it perfect though with current battery tech. I mean apple CAN go a long way by giving more screen time options, definitely. but what watch wearers basically want is "nearly almost always on" which either requires eInk and all the massive compromises that come with that, or will eat through modern battery tech like no tomorrow. not sure how the modern smart watches will be able to handle that while providing true "on demand' time viewing.

Android wear can mostly do a day with an always on, slightly dimmed screen (OLED at least). My guess is apple have too small a battery or the rest of their system is too battery hungry - heart rate checking every 10 minutes could be one culprit. OLED with mostly dark themes should not be a big battery hog. I'd be fine with it not updating all the time too - android wear goes into a dimmed mode that I think updates once a minute and the second hand disappears.

For now though I think tapping the screen to wake will be an ok workaround for those that like glancing down at their watch rather than swinging their wrist up.

If Apple used an OLED display, it wouldn't be hard to show the time constantly on Apple Watch 2 next year.

The burn-in from doing that would be horrifying though.

Which is probably why Apple didn't do that with Apple Watch 1 come to think of it.

The problem isn't current battery tech, it's current display tech.

Android wear cycles the watch face in an orbit of a few pixels to try and mitigate burn in.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh I think you are woefully optimistic. I suspect most models will slip past 4/24 shipping within 2-6 hours in the U.S.

I think stores will have some online reservations held back, for those that want to go into stores and try things on. It would be very bad if Apple had all these new setups and training to sell in store, but when they help you reserve,mthey are all sold out.

So if you miss out online, I think you'll have a second bite of the cherry if you can get to an Apple Store

Appleman

Android wear can mostly do a day with an always on, slightly dimmed screen (OLED at least). My guess is apple have too small a battery or the rest of their system is too battery hungry - heart rate checking every 10 minutes could be one culprit. OLED with mostly dark themes should not be a big battery hog. I'd be fine with it not updating all the time too - android wear goes into a dimmed mode that I think updates once a minute and the second hand disappears.

For now though I think tapping the screen to wake will be an ok workaround for those that like glancing down at their watch rather than swinging their wrist up.

Android wear cycles the watch face in an orbit of a few pixels to try and mitigate burn in.

Really wish there was a way to manually engage the display without having to use my other hand... would be great if it could detect you flexing your wrist or something and display the time

Hobohodo

I think I just talked myself back into space gray. I'm obsessing way too much over this decision.

Tell me about it. But yeah I'm back onto space grey sport. Now gonna log off the computer so that I can't be tempted and show back up at 7:45 AM ready to order. So glad its just early in the morning for us UK guys and not the middle of the night.

Sean

Banned
Thinking of going with this combo, aluminum Sport with black Sport band.

kKY7SmQ.jpg

BUT apparently this isn't even a possible combo? That the only way you can get a sport with a black band is by either getting the Space Gray model or paying $50 extra for a black replacement band.

Anyone know what the deal is on this?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I'm going back and forth on whether I should give the watch a try. Biggest thing holding me back is the fact that I don't want to deal with TWO devices in my everyday life. I only want one and my iPhone 6 does the job remarkably well.

Anyone who owned a plasma TV knows that pixel orbiting a few pixels doesn't actually do anything. If it's going to burn in, it's going to burn in.

The reason why is painfully simple: When's the last time you ran into any graphical element anywhere which is exactly 2-3 pixels wide, and will result 100% of currently lit pixels being unlit during a period of the pixel orbit?

Sean

Banned
Stainless Steel or Aluminum?! I'm second guessing myself now. D:

I am leaning towards the aluminum / budget option since it's a first gen product. If I'm gonna go all out it'd be during a second gen or later model (more future proof etc).

Aluminum looks quite nice and is lighter as well. There's not as many matching band choices on the aluminum but I'm sure third parties will take care of that. I think the aluminum would be less likely to show wear and tear/scratches as well.

iMax

I am leaning towards the aluminum / budget option since it's a first gen product. If I'm gonna go all out it'd be during a second gen or later model (more future proof etc).

Aluminum looks quite nice and is lighter as well. There's not as many matching band choices on the aluminum but I'm sure third parties will take care of that. I think the aluminum would be less likely to show wear and tear/scratches as well.

Not on the screen. That thing's gonna look awful if you don't treat it with extreme care.

SuperPac

Thinking of going with this combo, aluminum Sport with black Sport band.

kKY7SmQ.jpg

BUT apparently this isn't even a possible combo? That the only way you can get a sport with a black band is by either getting the Space Gray model or paying $50 extra for a black replacement band.

Anyone know what the deal is on this?

That's correct. With the Sport model the black band is only available with the space gray one.

I'm going with stainless steel, I want the sapphire.

That's amazing. My initial guy reaction was to go with the Stainless Steel as well and I think that video sealed the deal but the price of the Sport is cheap.

My thinking is that if I get the stainless steel I might be able to sell it for $250-$300 when the next one is announced. But at the same time I can get the Sport for $150 right now because I have a $200 Gift Card. Decisions. Decisions.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm not even convinced that Apple is going to commit to annual Watch updates. They might wait until the battery tech improves and that most of the teething problems will be solved with software updates.

Gonna set an appointment the moment I can do so, working overnight has its privileges after all. Then I'll upgrade to an iPhone 6 with a Sprint unlimited plan and I'm good to go.

LCfiner

I’d say the first few years of Apple Watch should get yearly updates just to maximize the potential for speed, screen, form factor and battery improvements.

The issues the reviews bring up need to be resolved and if it means doing more on the watch and less on the phone (slow data loading for location apps, for example) then quick hardware iteration will make the product better and be worth it.

Not on the screen. That thing's gonna look awful if you don't treat it with extreme care.

Eh? It's gonna be the same glass as on recent iPhones, those don't look awful, you don't need to treat them with extreme care. Sure, Sapphire is insanely scratch resistant, but Gorilla Glass ain't no slouch either.

The issues the reviews bring up need to be resolved and if it means doing more on the watch and less on the phone (slow data loading for location apps, for example) then quick hardware iteration will make the product better and be worth it.
Most of the issues reviews bring up can be solved through software updates. One's even guaranteed, the speed of third party apps will greatly improve once Apple releases the native dev kit for developers to use. The current Apple Watch dev kit has apps running entirely on the phone, and then communicating with the watch to tell it what to display. So, press an onscreen button, the watch has to communicate with the phone that the button was pressed, the phone then tells the watch what to display based on that button press. So, instant lag with every single action. But later this year Apple will release the native dev kit, allowing developers to finally run their apps directly on the watch itself.

This is using the new low-power Bluetooth that goes easy on batteries, I doubt it'll get 30-50 feet. But through Wifi it can go much, much farther, it just has to be able to talk to your router.

TwIsTeD

All the reviews so far are just reinforcing my decision to go sport - I only wish that damn band wasn't white haha - I really don't like the dark grey

border

Are people seriously already lining up for this thing? Not to buy it or pre-order it, but just so they can try it out in the morning?

Terrell

I've never done an online preorder for an Apple product, do they pre-auth the total purchase value at time of pre-order?
The answer to this question will determine what I buy.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'll check it out at the Apple Store that's right down the road during work hours Monday. Hopefully it won't be packed then.

border

You must be able to reserve after a try on.

But you'll be able to reserve your watch from the comfort of your own home in less than 6 hours. Why stand outside an Apple Store all night long? Especially when there's a chance that all the pre-orders might sell out before the store even opens.

mrkgoo

Are people seriously already lining up for this thing? Not to buy it or pre-order it, but just so they can try it out in the morning?

With such a breadth of options on such a personal device, something you wear, wouldn't you want to try it on before you get one?

It makes sense there's a line to try it, if you want one, but just need to see which one suits you best.

Even if just for sizing.

I mean, with the phones, you mostly know what you're going to get. you might want to see it, but you could use your imagination. It's not so easy with a watch.

Like I would like to order one as soon as i can, but I have no idea which one i'd like. Which watch size and which strap size. I want to try them first THEN order.

Terrell

With such a breadth of options on such a personal device, something you wear, wouldn't you want to try it on before you get one?

It makes sense there's a line to try it, if you want one, but just need to see which one suits you best.

Even if just for sizing.
It's not people wanting to try it first that he's puzzled by. It's the lineup the day before the thing is available that baffles the mind.

People maybe didn't hear that there's no in-store pre-order stock allocations?

Top Bottom