• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Hasney

Nope, there isn't. Just speculating.

Really though, if they weren't able to manufacture more than 1m just for the launch, there's bigger issues.

I honestly think that the way they've been cautious about it, 1 million units weren't available for the US market. Probably will be worldwide, but I honestly think that an undersupply is good for marketing and getting those sell out headlines out of there. Can create a demand for those on the fence.

Given the huge shipping delays just in the past hour and half, it seems likely they've sold at least this, unless they're being super conservative with shipping estimates or manufactured far fewer units than what was previously estimated. I placed my order just 10 minutes past 3 AM, and it was already pushed to May.

I think that since there were very few load problems with the store the shipping delays are just because they have very little stock and not because there's a huge demand for the watches. I expect the eventual announcement from Apple will be "We sold out of our initial orders in x minutes" instead of a hard number.

I know this is asked in every New Apple Release thread but I can't for the life of me remember:

Do they only charge you once it ships? Or is it as soon as the order goes through?

Hasney

I know this is asked in every New Apple Release thread but I can't for the life of me remember:

Do they only charge you once it ships? Or is it as soon as the order goes through?

They'll try your card by charging $1, then charge the full amount when it's ready to ship.

Sean

Banned

They place a $1 charge on your credit card (to ensure it works/is valid) but you don't get charged until it ships.

Fliesen

Nope, there isn't. Just speculating.

Really though, if they weren't able to manufacture more than 1m just for the launch, there's bigger issues.

the watch being an entirely new product, i don't think they can simply just ramp up production to a million devices a week.
They might (currently) be supply limited by certain components.
They might not have been able to estimate actual demand and didn't want to overmanufacture?

the new iMacs and new MacPros were severely constrained as well.

Blackhead

Redarse
because anything below a million pre-orders would be considered a massive failure, ... even though it wouldn't in fact be a failure in any way, shape or form.
Wouldnt be surprised. I would also not be surprised if it's not on par with other new category Apple product launches.
There were no preorders for the iPhone.
There were preorders for the iPad but Apple didn't announce any preorder figures (leading to silly analysis/speculation like 152,000 iPads pre-orders this weekend; 1m by mid-April?)
What Apple did announce was first day sales numbers (which included preorders for the iPad numbers)
First-day iPad sales top first-gen iPhone
Apple today said it sold more iPads on Saturday than it sold first-generation iPhones in 2007 over a two-day period.

The 300,000 number that Apple touted included deliveries of pre-ordered iPads, sales at Apple's retail stores and shipments to its partners, the company said. The only other retail outlet selling iPads on Saturday was Best Buy.

In 2007, Apple reported selling 270,000 iPhones during the new smartphone's first two days of availability.
keep in mind that Apple is launching the iWatch in more markets than usual

Majine

Banned
No doubt in my mind that this is already the best selling smartwatch. The question is if the category will thrive past the initial hype.

They'll try your card by charging $1, then charge the full amount when it's ready to ship.

They place a $1 charge on your credit card (to ensure it works/is valid) but you don't get charged until it ships.

Thanks guys! That makes me feel a lot better, not shipping till June gives me time to set aside a little extra cash for another band or something.

Will I be charged now buy Apple or will they charge me when it ships?

Hahaha damn didn't even read the current page?

(Charges when it ships)

Juice

I honestly think that the way they've been cautious about it, 1 million units weren't available for the US market. Probably will be worldwide, but I honestly think that an undersupply is good for marketing and getting those sell out headlines out of there. Can create a demand for those on the fence.

This.

Apple Watch'll be this year's Wii 2007

jts

...hate me...
2 questions about Apple Care:

1) Can I cancel it without having any effect on my Watch Sport order? (due 4-6 weeks) edit: nvm it's cancelled
2) If I order it on the phone later, I don't need any physical thing delivered to me right?

edit: asking because I'll not be in the country the Apple Store from where I'm getting the Watch. I wonder though, if I can just order the AppleCare+ from any region regardless of where my Watch came from.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Okay, I ordered the exact one I wanted online and I also made an appointment to go into the store and check it out later today. I can always cancel my order if I don't want it or if I can order it in store.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You Sport guys... Ouch.. I fee bad for that wait.

Woke up at 155, 201 went to my favorites and my Stainless w/Sport band was saved, clicked the apple pay button and checked out. Whole thing took like a minute. I was so shocked I had to double check that I even placed an order.

Flawless pre-order.

How long before Sport models started slipping to 4-6 weeks? Clearly the most popular mode BY FAR.

How long before Sport models started slipping to 4-6 weeks? Clearly the most popular mode BY FAR.
9 minutes until all models were 4-6 weeks or more, sport or not. Some models, like space black stainless steel, started out May 13-27, and almost immediately hit June.

I was going to do it for fun but the 5th Avenue store doesn't have any appointments today and the UES store only had an appointment at 8 pm.

9 minutes until all models were 4-6 weeks or more, sport or not. Some models, like space black stainless steel, started out May 13-27, and almost immediately hit June.

Not that it matters much now but the stainless steel model with the classic leather band was available for at least half an hour.

Do it! And then ask if it comes in black.

"Truly an exquisite device but I think the silver aluminum suits me better."

btkadams

Well, got an order in for a stainless steel with Milanese loop. I'm kind of glad the shipping is in May. Gives me time to re-evaluate and potentially cancel.

Juice

I'm so annoyed that MacBook isn't in stock anywhere worldwide. Talked to the manager at my local store this morning and he commiserated. Apart from demo units, none are expected to show up until 4/22.

ಠ_ಠ

Fox1304

I'm a bit salty on the low choice of bands to buy alone. Can't buy neither the Link Black SS band, neither the modern buckle in 42mm ...

borghe

I'm a bit salty on the low choice of bands to buy alone. Can't buy neither the Link Black SS band, neither the modern buckle in 42mm ...
Modern buckle is considered a "woman's band". It is actually a pretty thin strap hence why only on the 38mm. Classic buckle is the "man's band" and thus bigger, hence why only available on the 42mm.

Black SS seems lame, but I would guess it flat out doesn't look good with anything else. I think some of the mix and match combos presented in this thread are going to provide those buyers some less than pleasing results, especially the steel connectors on the aluminum bodies.

I was slow off the mark this morning so didn't botger pre-ordering. But I did book a try on appointment for this evening so is it possible to buy in store and collect on the day?

I was slow off the mark this morning so didn't botger pre-ordering. But I did book a try on appointment for this evening so is it possible to buy in store and collect on the day?

Nope only online.

All Apple Watch models in the US are now at minimum 4 – 6 week shipping estimates in less than six hours.

Phreaker

I set my alarm for 3:00am. The website still wasn't up, nor the Apple store via the app. I tired a few minutes later, web down, App up. I ordered the black 42mm sport and got a confirmation at 3:05am. It said, Available to ship: 4 - 6 weeks - Delivers: May 13 - May 27 by Standard Shipping :(

Hmmm ships in June. My bday is in June so I dont mind waiting until then to get it. Especially if I wont be charged until then, its basically like I'm buying it then.

Still cant decide between 38 or 42.

borghe

what happens if i want to wear it on the inside of my wrist? will the heart rate stuff still work?

hmm.. interesting question. I believe it works through sensor/camera.. on the inside of your wrist (well inside of my wrist) it wouldn't have as flush a contact as the outside of my wrist.

best case scenario is "maybe", though I would guess "no" or "nowhere near as well".

Fox1304

Modern buckle is considered a "woman's band". It is actually a pretty thin strap hence why only on the 38mm. Classic buckle is the "man's band" and thus bigger, hence why only available on the 42mm.

Makes sense. But the "Modern Buckle" closing system looks amazing. Bummer.

Top Bottom