• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Appleman

Woke up at 3am for this, kinda messed it up though. Was going to order the black Sport, saw 4-6 weeks and bailed and stepped up instead to the SS with black band because it would ship on the 24th.... Should have just ordered them both anyways and cancelled one later.

$880 all in for just the 42mm Steel with Black Sport Band

Canada... :/

On the phone with Apple now..

They said it was cancelled due to it being limited on orders yet they sent me a freight forwarding email cancellation. They also said 2 per account yet cancelled 2 of 3... so now i only have one?

I am talking to a supervisor now because it is confusing as hell and I'm pretty pissed.

Wow I can't believe these are delayed into June. I'm so happy I woke up last night.
are they delayed to june or did the first few shipments sell out already? Because I see 4-6 weeks for the steel edition. June for gold and sport.

I'm actually asking, I wasn't awake at 3am because I'm not getting one so I don't know if it always said june.

On the phone with Apple now..

They said it was cancelled due to it being limited on orders yet they sent me a freight forwarding email cancellation. They also said 2 per account yet cancelled 2 of 3... so now i only have one?

I am talking to a supervisor now because it is confusing as hell and I'm pretty pissed.

Everything I read before pre-order stated 1 per customer.

kaskade

are they delayed to june or did the first few shipments sell out already? Because I see 4-6 weeks for the steel edition. June for gold and sport.

I'm actually asking, I wasn't awake at 3am because I'm not getting one so I don't know if it always said june.
First shipments are still coming release day. I just meant if I didn't wake up for my sport I would've been waiting another month.

Alarm + Apple Store app and apple pay is so wonderful. I was back to bed in probably 5 minutes.

definitely. I was up for 7 minutes.. slept like a baby afterward.

It took me a while to calm down from the preorder rush, but the app was definitely the way to go. I've got a 42mm space gray sport coming on launch, and a 38mm space gray sport coming 2 weeks later. 5th year anniversary gifts complete!

Really? I bought one for me and one for my wife this morning. I'm gonna be pissed if it gets cancelled.

be wary.. It may be cancelled. It sucks because their page actually has ZERO indication it is 1 per account.

Only the news reports on Macrumors but I'm not researching things or something beforehand.

border

The AppleCare+ deductible for an Apple Watch Edition is $1000 per repair. Holy crap! How can they charge that much? Most repairs are going to be the glass or the circuits, not the expensive gold body.

So I called...

They said they can't reinstate my order...

But they will try? The supervisor gave me her contact info and said it is 2 per order. She will take it up the chain and see if she can get it reinstated but won't have an update for another 24 to 48 hours.

EDIT: I do have one order still open and that is a regular SS one shipping 4/24-5/8. The Black Sport one is the one I want that is cancelled that they are trying to reinstate.

Blackhead

Redarse
Makes sense. But the "Modern Buckle" closing system looks amazing. Bummer.
Agreed, quickest take-off and put on mechanism

The AppleCare+ deductible for an Apple Watch Edition is $1000 per repair. Holy crap! How can they charge that much? Most repairs are going to be the glass or the circuits, not the expensive gold body.
The biggest 'threats' to expensive matches are actually loss or theft but AppleCare+ doesn't cover that (neither for the Sport or Steel). I don't see the value here instead of traditional insurance.

Phreaker

It took me a while to calm down from the preorder rush, but the app was definitely the way to go. I've got a 42mm space gray sport coming on launch, and a 38mm space gray sport coming 2 weeks later. 5th year anniversary gifts complete!

I had a hard time falling back asleep too, but did the same thing. I must have missed initial shipment by seconds on my 42mm space gray sport. Hopefully it will get bumped to release day. I had that happen with my iPad Air.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The biggest 'threats' to expensive matches are actually loss or theft but AppleCare+ doesn't cover that (neither for the Sport or Steel). I don't see the value here instead of traditional insurance.

you guys are correct, HOWEVER damage to the body and whatnot is possible AND covered under applecare also.

but yeah... having to pay $1000 for a shattered screen or a submersed watch..... brutal.

Ty4on

This.

Apple Watch'll be this year's Wii 2007

The Wii was very unique though. They had lost a lot of money from too much GC supply and had no idea that the Wii would be the fastest selling console of all time. It would have sold much more without the supply constraints and they were clearly not intentional as some believe.

Looks like all the Steel models are available within 4-6 weeks, but the Edition is like the Sport delayed till June. Does anyone remember delays for previous Apple launches?

mrkgoo

Agreed, quickest take-off and put on mechanism

I would say the biggest threat is scratches to the housing and smashed glass.

A lot of repairs are actually just exchanges, so the deductible has to cover having to hand over another unit, even though they are getting the original back. They don't want it being done often.

For example, here in NZ, screens are not officially repaired for iPhones, and the cost of an out of warranty exchange if a damaged phone is eligible (including just cracked glass) is basically half the price of a retail unit.

If you have AppleCare + it's a fraction of that, so it's worth having AC+ here.

Likewise, changing a battery in an iPad is not a service that is carried out here, but they have a "swap out" service fee to "replace" the battery that Is really a service fee cost since it's nowhere near the cost of a replacement iPad, yet it is a whole replacing unit.

The costs of AppleCare and these services are set at a price that covers multiple regions with different services available.

It's not about what the service or replacement units actually cost, but rather the fact that they have to have replacement units as service parts in stock. At lower prices, that means more gold just tied up as service parts. The costs are proportional to the costs tied up as service parts in stock.

SuperPac

be wary.. It may be cancelled. It sucks because their page actually has ZERO indication it is 1 per account.

Only the news reports on Macrumors but I'm not researching things or something beforehand.

I also ordered 2. So far they're still just processing. Tim Cook replied to someone's email saying the limit was 2 yesterday. So I'm going with that and if it turns out they cancel my order because I ordered 2 watches I'm emailing Tim. :p

Who were your 3 watches for?

JayDub

As with the iPhone 6 launch, the app was up way before the website, and I was able to secure a watch. Was up anyways and refreshed the website for 30 mins and still nothing. 30 mins is a lot of time for the watch to sell out.

Don't know if it's intentional on their end (perhaps unofficially give iOS owners first dibs?), but if not, they need to et their shit together.

entremet

Damn. this thing is selling like crazy it seems.

Apple is just untouchable.

For the record, I'm an Apple fanboy, but I thought this will be tepid in reception.

Hasney

Damn. this thing is selling like crazy it seems.

Apple is just untouchable.

For the record, I'm an Apple fanboy, but I thought this will be tepid in reception.

I'll wait to see numbers rather than assume that. I do think that Apple have nailed the short supply to sell out and get the media talking about how it sold out and I think it's a good strategy. We'll hear something from them if it sold better than expected at launch, so hopefully they do speak up.

Then again, I'm the pessimist in the UK games charts that doesn't assume getting to number 1 is all that great without numbers, so maybe I'm just a sales grump.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm actually surprised this thing is selling this well. At that price and with it being the first edition I thought people would take a wait and see attitude.

mrkgoo

Pretty sure you don't get a full second band
My understanding is you get two bands, 1 smaller and one larger for different wrist sizes because the sports bands aren't as adjustable as some of the other types.

So the service allows you to get rid of the wrong size one for a right size one, possibly if a different colour.

It's a good idea, since they really won't carry stock, just take in others soared and facilitate swapping, under the assumptionvthatvyhe band size and colours that need tonne swapped out are evenly distributed and not everyone say, uses the small and swaps out the big.

Righty10

Do the Apple stores have the watches on display? I would like to be able to see in person the difference between the two sizes before I bought one.

riotous

Banned
My understanding is you get two bands, 1 smaller and one larger for different wrist sizes because the sports bands aren't as adjustable as some of the other types.

So the service allows you to get rid of the wrong size one for a right size one, possibly if a different colour.

I don't know why they'd bother giving you 2 full bands; there's 2 parts to a band.. couldn't they just make one of them a standard size, and give you 2 versions of the other part?

Would be cool if both parts are bigger/smaller as that would make for a more consistent fit, but I've always assumed since this is Apple the profit margin kings they'd design it to be 3 total parts.

Apath

My mom's birthday is 5/5--going to try and get a Sport without a pre-order some time in the two weeks between launch and her birthday.

Figure it worked for every other Apple product.

I don't know why they'd bother giving you 2 full bands; there's 2 parts to a band.. couldn't they just make one of them a standard size, and give you 2 versions of the other part?

Would be cool if both parts are bigger/smaller as that would make for a more consistent fit, but I've always assumed since this is Apple the profit margin kings they'd design it to be 3 total parts.

This is the case right? You don't actually get 2 complete bands do you?

Mdot

Ugh, I want one now. This always happens when a new product comes out. I convince myself I don't need it and should wait, and then I crave it. The back order does help though with the impulse purchase. If I knew I'd get it sooner, it would be tougher to resist.

SuperPac

My mom's birthday is 5/5--going to try and get a Sport without a pre-order some time in the two weeks between launch and her birthday.

Figure it worked for every other Apple product.

I'm not sure that will work this time. Apple stores apparently won't have stock for walk-ins at launch and for some period afterward. They were encouraging everyone to order online - even people who come into the store for a try-on.

riotous

Banned
This is the case right? You don't actually get 2 complete bands do you?

It does list outright in the "What's in the box" section.. "2 bands."

So hopefully that's true.. and yeah, I'll be swapping. I ordered a sport watch and an extra band.. so I can theoretically swap and have a total of 4 colors.

mrkgoo

I'll wait to see numbers rather than assume that. I do think that Apple have nailed the short supply to sell out and get the media talking about how it sold out and I think it's a good strategy. We'll hear something from them if it sold better than expected at launch, so hopefully they do speak up.

Then again, I'm the pessimist in the UK games charts that doesn't assume getting to number 1 is all that great without numbers, so maybe I'm just a sales grump.

Short sticking with the choice of making more and selling more Is Usually a terrible strategy. Most short stocking is really related to manufacturing. Why would you make less and sell less if you could sell more? The "marketing buzz" from selling out is hardly worth it because that is real money they are turning down for some artificial estimated demand. 2 million happy customers is better than short stocking deliberately to get 1 million happy + 2 or more million unhappy, for example.

I'm actually surprised this thing is selling this well. At that price and with it being the first edition I thought people would take a wait and see attitude.

Are you surprised really? This basically happens with every apple product launch. And it's not just "because apple", but because apple actually have proven time and time again their products are shipping worthy and still worth the first gen, even though second gen and on are much better.

I was very happy with my first gen iPad and iPad touch, and the first iPhone we got in our region. I used each for years and still do.

jts

...hate me...
I do want an aditional black sport band for my silver aluminum. Original one is blue. Then I'll be "set" initially. Although, tbh, ideally I want to catch 'em all sport bands 😎

Pink (wish there was a red or orange but alas) next then green. I don't care much for the white though.

Apath

I'm not sure that will work this time. Apple stores apparently won't have stock for walk-ins at launch and for some period afterward. They were encouraging everyone to order online - even people who come into the store for a try-on.
Either way I'll have to chance it considering pre-orders are back until June. And anyways, I really don't see why this would be different from every iPhone and iPad launch.

mrkgoo

That's exactly how I assume they've done it. As in give you both parts in small and large, because they've designed it to give you a more consistent fit. If you look at the design of the band, it's not like where you have two parts and then a third positional loop to hold the extra in place like usual bands. It's more elegant and designed such that the clasp is supposed to fit in a particular position. It's very possible they also give two sizes of both parts, including the adjustable side because the difference sizes are significant.

Hasney

Short sticking with the choice of making more and selling more Is Usually a terrible strategy. Most short stocking is really related to manufacturing. Why would you make less and sell less if you could sell more? The "marketing buzz" from selling out is hardly worth it because that is real money they are turning down for some artificial estimated demand. 2 million happy customers is better than short stocking deliberately to get 1 million happy + 2 or more million unhappy, for example.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's both. I think they knew when they'd have enough to consider it a launch and made a date for then rather than build up an inventory like for a standard launch is all. Then you sell as many as you can as quick as you can, get the aforementioned buzz and continue to sell through for a couple of months.

That said, I could be totally wrong and this is doing gangbusters. If it is, I think we'll hear from Apple despite what they said about not putting it in the earnings call previously. I think that was just them hedging their bets.

Phreaker

Pretty sure you don't get a full second band

Wut? It says two bands for "whats in the box" on Apple's site. I guess you get two sizes (at least for Sport)

iRtHGLgzJ1vHf.png

riotous

Banned
That's exactly how I assume they've done it. As in give you both parts in small and large, because they've designed it to give you a more consistent fit. If you look at the design of the band, it's not like where you have two parts and then a third positional loop to hold the extra in place like usual bands. It's more elegant and designed such that the clasp is supposed to fit in a particular position. It's very possible they also give two sizes of both parts, including the adjustable side because the difference sizes are significant.

Yeah after checking the product page I'm convinced it's 2 full bands.

Otherwise this would be a bit of false advertising:

UQFBEWK.png

mrkgoo

Don't get me wrong, I think it's both. I think they knew when they'd have enough to consider it a launch and made a date for then rather than build up an inventory like for a standard launch is all. Then you sell as many as you can as quick as you can, get the aforementioned buzz and continue to sell through for a couple of months.

That said, I could be totally wrong and this is doing gangbusters. If it is, I think we'll hear from Apple despite what they said about not putting it in the earnings call previously. I think that was just them hedging their bets.

For sure its not just black and white - there's usually a curve and they stick their release date and stock to maximise sales. But the point is "buzz" is not hard money, and it's hard to judge the value of it anyway, especially since they're likely to have all the buzz regardless. Demand is a real number (but one you have to estimate). It's dumb to estimate a demand and then deliberately shortfall that demand in exchange for "buzz" if you have capacity to fulfil more demand. They already have buzz.

I doubt that there are many people who were humming and ha-one about it and the fact that it's sold out convinces them to go for it.

SuperPac

Wut? It says two bands for "whats in the box" on Apple's site. I guess you get two sizes (at least for Sport)

iRtHGLgzJ1vHf.png

It also says that for Sports Bands bought separately. It's in the description - "2 bands."

So far the only video I've seen that shows an unboxing of the separate sport band is this Gadget Guy video. When they open the Sport Band box you see that it's one fastener part and two (a S/M and M/L) straps for the other part.

Maybe you do actually get 2 full bands but with the inconsistency in the standalone strap box I wouldn't guarantee it yet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

We don't know how well it is selling. This seems to be a fairly quiet GAF thread compared to other Apple product launches, and we have no idea how much stock they had.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
yeah the intentional shortage theory always comes from tinfoil hat conspiracies.. as if the "supposed" press from being sold out is better than the increased profit from selling an additional 100K, 200K etc units. ANY company would rather be able to say "we sold 500K units" than "we sold 250K units and are completely sold out". I mean really.. think about it people.

Are you surprised really? This basically happens with every apple product launch. And it's not just "because apple", but because apple actually have proven time and time again their products are shipping worthy and still worth the first gen, even though second gen and on are much better.

I was very happy with my first gen iPad and iPad touch, and the first iPhone we got in our region. I used each for years and still do.

exactly.. think about how apple works.. they don't create product categories (well except for ipad).. they refine product categories.. so a 1st gen apple product is really more like a 2nd or 3rd gen [device]. Sure the 2nd gen apple product will be a significant upgrade.. but the 1st gen device is already a refined product.

riotous

Banned
So far the only video I've seen that shows an unboxing of the separate sport band is this Gadget Guy video. When they open the Sport Band box you see that it's one fastener part and two (a S/M and M/L) straps for the other part..

Hmm.. I'm not seeing what you are seeing.

Looks like he has 2 band boxes and only opens one of them. The box he does open definitely only has 2 parts in it; the "other side" of the cardboard box just has cutouts for the parts that stick out.

There is then an unopened box on the table next to his open box.

mrkgoo

Yeah after checking the product page I'm convinced it's 2 full bands.

Otherwise this would be a bit of false advertising:

UQFBEWK.png

One band covers small-medium and the other covers medium-large, so they do overlap in usage. but after seeing the vid that superpac posted I think it's clear it's 3 parts.

Top Bottom