• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

xsarien

daedsiluap
I have an appointment to check it out tomorrow. I'm really torn between 38 vs. 42. I've got tiny wrists, I really don't want to order the 42 based on web images alone and then feel like it's too big.

border

I ordered a 38mm Black Sport and a 42mm Black Sport.

Going to try them both on today so I can decide which one I prefer. Then I will either cancel or sell the other one.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I ordered a 38mm Black Sport and a 42mm Black Sport.

Going to try them both on today so I can decide which one I prefer. Then I will either cancel or sell the other one.

yup. I knew for sure I'd want a sport band for working out. I ordered a couple other bands but not sure which I'll want (or what size) until the try on appointment today

Got my hands on one at the local Apple Store, I can't say I'm too impressed, it was confusing to navigate also. Unless I can get the cheapest model at discount I'll definitely wait till version 2. It also seemed kind of slow to me

dyls

I don't see why the space grey supposedly won't look good with non-black bands.

Guess my opinion differs, but I prefer the look of the space grey in general on http://mixyourwatch.com even with the regular non-black steel band.

I tried the space gray aluminum with the Milanese loop and it looked great. The space gray complements the stainless connector really well.

Also found out that the sport watch will come with two bands. One small and one large.

Ambient80

My order status still says "Processing items" but still also says 4/24-5/8. Is this the same for everyone? Just making sure I'm not in some limbo hell.

Back from my try on, the stainless link looks stunning in the flesh. It's a lovely looking piece of tech, however I had to cancel my 38mm order and get the 43mm. The 38mm was just a tad too small. Which means I'm pushed back to June now :(

On the plus side I can now pick up a leather loop strap, which was also lovely IRL.

Terrell

I have an appointment to check it out tomorrow. I'm really torn between 38 vs. 42. I've got tiny wrists, I really don't want to order the 42 based on web images alone and then feel like it's too big.
I did my try-on today. The 42mm fit my wrist, but it just didn't look quite right.
I went with the 38mm steel with black sports band. I actually agree with Gruber. Rubber bracelets usually stick to my skin and cause uncomfortable pulling, but the Sport Band felt like butter against my skin. If I want a more premium look later, I'll buy the Milanese loop bracelet, but for the initial purchase, Sport Band is a great choice.
That 4-6 week wait though. :(

ckohler

My order status still says "Processing items" but still also says 4/24-5/8. Is this the same for everyone? Just making sure I'm not in some limbo hell.

I have the same. I'm not certain but I think that's normal for pre-orders. They can't ship it yet, so it's technically "processing".

Sean

Banned

I've got small wrists too and was convinced 38 was the perfect size. That was until I tried it on in-store and it felt a bit too small. You really can't judge by internet pics, that was a big mistake. Now I'm kicking myself for not pre-ordering both sizes as the current shipping estimate for 42mm space gray sport is June :(

Also, aside from just looks, the 42 gets longer battery life as mentioned by Apple and the slightly larger screen seems like it'd be more ideal for touch screen/apps usage.

TxdoHawk

Went into an Apple store and gawked. Too busy for try-ons but I was pretty flabbergasted by how small the 42mm actually is. Pictures make it look huge but it's really not.

Depending on the secondary market. I may just sell the one I get on launch and wait for June. Seems like the black sport will have a pretty good resale

I hate to be one of "those guys" but I'm considering this myself. At the same time, the biggest thing I miss in my Android -> iOS switch is having a smartwatch, so perhaps not.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Also, aside from just looks, the 42 gets longer battery life as mentioned by Apple and the slightly larger screen seems like it'd be more ideal for touch screen/apps usage.

Why do some consider a slightly bigger and bulkier screen a benefit? I don't get it. This is a device that was designed for 3 - 5 second interactions. If I need to interact with the watch longer than that and need a bigger screen I'll just pull out my phone.

38mm just makes sense to me. Light, subtle, and discreet. It doesn't shout out to the world "LOOK AT ME IM A TECH NERD WITH A PHONE SLAPPED ON MY WRIST" :p (Of course this all depends on an individual's wrist size and personal preferences)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Glad to hear the 38mm is indeed small. I'm a male, and I'm tall but my wrists aren't huge. I'm not much of a watch person but I wanted something small and discreet if it's going to be on my wrist all day.

I shall not go in and try one on and spoil the experience. This will be the first brand new product in a while and going in completely fresh will be amazing. 38mm Stainless Steel with Milanese loop represent!

LCfiner

Keep in mind that larger watches are in fashion now - stuff that's 40 to 45 mm (bigger for cheaper watches)

The 42 mm apple watch has tiny lugs - or none at all - so it shouldn't look that big at all. Closer to a 40 to 42 mm men's circular watch.

Going to 38mm with tiny lugs will make it look possibly too feminine for a lot of guys.

HUELEN10

Well, I am male but...

1. Love the size of the Pebble Steel.

2. Even with all the links removed with the Steel's band, I still need to put a piece of foam on the inward of the clasp so it fits right (I have a very thin wrist).

I want possible battery boosts from a slightly bigger watch, but with the above in mind, wouldn't 38 be my only real option?

Going in for a 15 minutes try-on on Sunday, but I get the feeling even the 38 with the sports band will be too loose. :(

Humidex

My take? Even trying out the 38mm Sport, it's heavier than I thought it would be. Space grey Sport does look pretty neat in the flesh though!

But it's possible that I've been so used to my Forerunnner 220 and it's relative lightness that anything other than that is a brick in comparison!

In the meantime, I'm quite content to sit this one out and let the ecosystem and usage flourish before I jump in!

HUELEN10

M324ube.jpg
Why this isn't a default option I'll neve know...

kaskade

I have the same. I'm not certain but I think that's normal for pre-orders. They can't ship it yet, so it's technically "processing".

I'm pretty sure people have said it pretty much says processing until it's preparing to ship which who knows when that will be.

Sean

Banned
Why do some consider a slightly bigger and bulkier screen a benefit? I don't get it. This is a device that was designed for 3 - 5 second interactions. If I need to interact with the watch longer than that and need a bigger screen I'll just pull out my phone.

38mm just makes sense to me. Light, subtle, and discreet. It doesn't shout out to the world "LOOK AT ME IM A TECH NERD WITH A PHONE SLAPPED ON MY WRIST" :p (Of course this all depends on an individual's wrist size and personal preferences)

The length of interaction is irrelevant, your finger is still going to cover up a larger percentage of the screen on the 38mm model. If you have to constantly lift and move your index finger while scrolling through list-based views (such as emails, texts, notifications, calendar events, etc) just to see what you're reading, then you're turning every simple 3-5 second interaction into 7-9 second interactions.

Not a dealbreaker by any means, and of course there's the digital crown to help mitigate that issue, but still. The 42mm just seems a little better suited to touch screen usage.

Don't be surprised if it's processing for a bit. Remember you're still at least 2 weeks from the delivery date so it could be awhile until it ships.

riotous

Banned
I tried the space gray aluminum with the Milanese loop and it looked great. The space gray complements the stainless connector really well.

Cool!

I'm going a bit nuts on the bands.. comes with black; and now I've purchased the white sport, blue sport, black leather, and the Milanese loop.

A dark colored Milanese loop would be awesome too; hopefully a future option.

mrkgoo

There is only one resolution in Xcode simulator. It will look the same.
That's just it when you say it will look the same does that mean the watch faces are the same resolution, thus they are the same actual siZe regardless of watch casing siZe?

That is, let's say the plain round watch face is 300 pixels across, it's 300 pixels across on both watches? So there's more blank space on the large case?

xsarien

daedsiluap
I've got small wrists too and was convinced 38 was the perfect size. That was until I tried it on in-store and it felt a bit too small. You really can't judge by internet pics, that was a big mistake. Now I'm kicking myself for not pre-ordering both sizes as the current shipping estimate for 42mm space gray sport is June :(

I ordered both, I'll kill one tomorrow depending on my decision during the try-on session.

Blackhead

Redarse

Went into an Apple store and gawked. Too busy for try-ons but I was pretty flabbergasted by how small the 42mm actually is. Pictures make it look huge but it's really not.
I agree the 42mm isn't that big at all BUT the 38mm isn't that much smaller either. Neither of them is subtle or discreet if that's what you're looking to the 38mm for. Pick whichever one is physically comfortable on your wrist not based on old watch appearance criteria imo

D6AMIA6N

I preorderd one, but I'm not entirely sold yet. Since it is a tech device, does it make sense getting any version other then the sport? I collect mechanical watches, the idea of buying a watch that in two years will be obsolete isn't very appealing. Further, is the band tech going to be persistent in future iterations? It'd be nice if bands bought for this gen would be compatible with future iterations. So....I'm on the fence, but have a preorder for a 42mm stainless on rubber. Thoughts?

Nitsuj23

I preorderd one, but I'm not entirely sold yet. Since it is a tech device, does it make sense getting any version other then the sport? I collect mechanical watches, the idea of buying a watch that in two years will be obsolete isn't very appealing. Further, is the band tech going to be persistent in future iterations? It'd be nice if bands bought for this gen would be compatible with future iterations. So....I'm on the fence, but have a preorder for a 42mm stainless on rubber. Thoughts?

Well... you may have not picked the best time to purchase then. Judging by the speed issues and less than stellar battery life. I imagine within two years we'll have a smart watch capable of lasting through a weekend? I can dream.

I do think bands will be applicable to future generations.

Terrell

The length of interaction is irrelevant, your finger is still going to cover up a larger percentage of the screen on the 38mm model. If you have to constantly lift and move your index finger while scrolling through list-based views (such as emails, texts, notifications, calendar events, etc) just to see what you're reading, then you're turning every simple 3-5 second interaction into 7-9 second interactions.

Not a dealbreaker by any means, and of course there's the digital crown to help mitigate that issue, but still. The 42mm just seems a little better suited to touch screen usage.

The digital crown doesn't "mitigate" anything, it's intended to be used for scrolling as opposed to using the touchscreen. It's the whole purpose of having it as part of the design. Even on the 42mm face, scrolling with your finger would take so many swipes, and it's not so much bigger that a finger wouldn't be equally obtrusive to use with it.

TL;DR version: you're doing it wrong.

Well... you may have not picked the best time to purchase then. Judging bythe speed issues and less than stellar battery life. I imagine within two years we'll have a smart watch capable of lasting through a weekend? I can dream.

I do think bands will be applicable to future generations.

Nope, you'll just have a thinner and lighter one. Keep dreaming that dream, though.

TxdoHawk

The first gen Apple device is always, always far outclassed by the later models. Look at the iPod, the iPhone, the Macbook Air, etc. I don't expect the Apple Watch to be any different. So, my vote would be stick to the Sport.

Regarding bands: I think there's a very good chance the next Apple Watch will be a different enough form factor that using Gen 1 bands simply won't work. Nobody knows for sure, of course, but given Apple's fervor for thin, it doesn't seem unreasonable that the next Apple watch will change things around to slim out the form factor...and that could mean a new mechanism for bands.

In general: I would not spend a dime on anything Apple Watch-related you'd be upset about replacing in a year or two, watch, bands or otherwise.

Ashhong

That's just it when you say it will look the same does that mean the watch faces are the same resolution, thus they are the same actual siZe regardless of watch casing siZe?

That is, let's say the plain round watch face is 300 pixels across, it's 300 pixels across on both watches? So there's more blank space on the large case?

Aren't the pixels just larger on the larger watch? So proportionally, it should have the same amount of blank space

mrkgoo

Aren't the pixels just larger on the larger watch? So proportionally, it should have the same amount of blank space

As mentioned above the larger watch has higher resolution. If all assets are the same size and not scaled tune you get more space, but that could look kinda weird depending on which case it was designed for.

mrkgoo

The digital crown doesn't "mitigate" anything, it's intended to be used for scrolling as opposed to using the touchscreen. It's the whole purpose of having it as part of the design. Even on the 42mm face, scrolling with your finger would take so many swipes, and it's not so much bigger that a finger wouldn't be equally obtrusive to use with it.

TL;DR version: you're doing it wrong.

Nope, you'll just have a thinner and lighter one. Keep dreaming that dream, though.

About battery, it sounds like excuse making but there really is some truth to charging on a routine.

My iPhone 5 is over two years old and has a lower life battery now. I charge it every night. And when I'm in my car I usually plug it in.
Never run out because I'm in the habit of doing so. For my daily average use, it works.

I have a portable speaker that has 12 hours battery. I only charge it when it gets close to empty. That could be weeks. That's so infrequent that I basically never check and I get caught out when it runs out.

I mean id like a two day battery life for apple watch only so it could last a day with HEAVY use, but likely I'd charge it every night anyway.

I have a friend who plays a weird game of having to maximise his battery life on his phone despite charging it every night anyway. Like he will turn off a whole lot of features so that his battery percentage is as high as possible by the time he gets home.

It's like people complaint that all their RAM is being used - it's like why have it if you're mr going to use it?

Terrell

Something I've been curious about: considering Apple Watch requires an iPhone, would it not make sense to have a single wall charger with 2 USB cable slots to reduce outlet use? Perhaps we will see that with the next iPhone?

Also, to the people who tried them on, what did you think of the haptic feedback? I felt the demo reel didn't really provide much to really highlight that, but what little I experienced of it, it felt really good.

The first gen Apple device is always, always far outclassed by the later models. Look at the iPod, the iPhone, the Macbook Air, etc. I don't expect the Apple Watch to be any different. So, my vote would be stick to the Sport.

Regarding bands: I think there's a very good chance the next Apple Watch will be a different enough form factor that using Gen 1 bands simply won't work. Nobody knows for sure, of course.

In general: I would not spend a dime on anything Apple Watch-related you'd be upset about replacing in a year or two, watch, bands or otherwise.

ANY gen Apple device is outclassed by the models released 2 years later. But they're at least still perfectly functional. My iPhone 5 still works quite well, but that doesn't mean that iPhone 6 doesn't demolish it in terms of performance and aesthetics.

I'd even wager that Apple Watch will be a bit more resistant to regular upgrade cycles, with hardware revisions being mostly aesthetic in nature with moderate improvements to battery, at best.

I was in the exact same position till tonight. I had my try on appointment and ended up deciding on the 38mm. After trying them both on, I though the 38mm gave a much better fit, allowing the watch to fit nicely flush against my arm, whereas the 42mm looked huge on my arm, and often had gaps between the band and my arm.

The 38mm with a small band felt really light as well. Plus the price difference was nice too :)

Right, but it generally takes two generations to "far outclass" it. For example, iPhone only really got 3G in its second-gen, 3GS was FAR faster, double the memory, faster internet, and could record videos. iPad 2 got a camera and a speed and memory boost, but iPad 3 got that sweet retina display (and a larger memory boost).

So my vote is, get a watch you'll be happy wearing for at least a couple years. All the biggest updates to the Apple Watch will be through software, not new hardware revisions.

jts

...hate me...
Right, but it generally takes two generations to "far outclass" it. For example, iPhone only really got 3G in its second-gen, 3GS was FAR faster, double the memory, faster internet, and could record videos. iPad 2 got a camera and a speed and memory boost, but iPad 3 got that sweet retina display (and a larger memory boost).

So my vote is, get a watch you'll be happy wearing for at least a couple years. All the biggest updates to the Apple Watch will be through software, not new hardware revisions.
The iPad 2 was something special though. Yes, the 3 had a retina display but it wasn't as thin or as light... and it took longer to charge. And performance was ass after a while, and the 2 is still usable.

So if you compare the iPad 1 and 2 you get two devices released within a year of each other but many more years of useful life apart.

It's a case by case thing though. It wasn't the exact same with the iPhone. We can't make 100% accurate predictions of the future just based on the past. Still, first gen of anything is usually a case to call for buyers beware.

jcutner

Went to the Eaton Centre Apple Store at 4:15 after work today.

Tried on a few, mainly the 42mm black sport that we're all getting. Also tried on the 38mm for comparison, the Milanese loop, and the classic leather band.

17101892191_48e9b838ef_c.jpg

17101890801_9e8bd2d795_c.jpg

17076604896_bdac89e2b1_c.jpg

Also, I know it's covered now - but you can see the 42mm has the M/L band, and the 38mm has the S/M band. The top part is exactly the same, it's the lower part with the holes which is smaller.

16480130714_32966554ea_c.jpg

finalflame

38mm all the way, no regrets. Aluminum with white sport band. Probably gonna get a milanese loop down the road, too, once they aren't at 2-4 weeks to ship.

42mm might be "not too big" for some but looks humongous to me (and I have 185mm wrists).

Space Grey does look dope, though. Still prefer silver.

Top Bottom