• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

jcutner

also, the watch sport on it's own with no band is insanely light, much lighter than i had imagined. the watch (regular) has a good weight.

Shearie

So this has probably been said before but I went for a try-on appointment at the Apple Store and I found out that the watch cases are quite a bit smaller in person than I thought. I have very small wrists for a guy and the 38mm (which I ordered online) is too small even for me and the 42mm fit perfectly. So I sadly had to cancel my 38mm order which had a delivery date of 4/24 and instead order a 42mm with a delivery date of June. Oh well...

For some good news though, these watches look absolutely fantastic in person. Way better looking than any photo or video I've seen of them.

Terrell

Great pics jcutner, how did the Milanese Loop feel?

I know you asked someone else, but I'll chime in... it's actually quite a heavy bracelet, despite how thin it is.

Despite the weight, it feels great, but it is pretty easy to put it on too tight, and it takes a bit of adjusting. The magnet on it is really strong, so you do have to be mindful of that. Trying on both the 42mm and the 38mm, it actually felt more comfortable with the narrower bracelet for the 38mm, but that may be because I have a thinner wrist anyways.

I actually recommend anyone who is trying on the watch try the Milanese loop. I find that it is a great way to gauge if the 42mm is too large for your wrist. Because of how thin and movable the bracelet is, if the 42mm is too big, the bracelet will not sit properly and leave a gap where it isn't making contact with your wrist, so it really gives you a feel for how the watch itself actually sits on your wrist.

jcutner

I feel that if I had the S/M band on the 42mm it'd look/fit better. The 38mm almost felt like a ladies watch, due to the size - but I suppose I have girlish wrists to match though...

Phreaker

Why do some consider a slightly bigger and bulkier screen a benefit? I don't get it. This is a device that was designed for 3 - 5 second interactions. If I need to interact with the watch longer than that and need a bigger screen I'll just pull out my phone.

38mm just makes sense to me. Light, subtle, and discreet. It doesn't shout out to the world "LOOK AT ME IM A TECH NERD WITH A PHONE SLAPPED ON MY WRIST" :p (Of course this all depends on an individual's wrist size and personal preferences)

To be honest, I just assumed the 38mm was for ladies. I ordered the 42mm. I hope I don't think it's too big. I wear a 40mm watch now (diameter) and the 42mm Apple watch is 35.9mm wide so I think I'll be okay.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I changed my mind and got AppleCare with my watch. Otherwise, everything is going to plan.

They say it'll ship in June, but it shouldn't take that long, if everything goes right.

Shearie

To be honest, I just assumed the 38mm was for ladies. I ordered the 42mm. I hope I don't think it's too big. I wear a 40mm watch now (diameter) and the 42mm Apple watch is 35.9mm wide so I think I'll be okay.

After trying on both sizes today, the 38mm case that I thought would fit my small men's wrist perfectly was definitely too small and looked like a girl style watch.

mrkgoo

Good pics jcutner. The large watch looks kind of silly if it's so large for your wrist and the watch strap just comes down perpendicular.

Man I really need to try and see before I order.

Terrell

I feel that if I had the S/M band on the 42mm it'd look/fit better. The 38mm almost felt like a ladies watch, due to the size - but I suppose I have girlish wrists to match though...

After trying on both sizes today, the 38mm case that I thought would fit my small men's wrist perfectly was definitely too small and looked like a girl style watch.
I think some of you are overstating the 38mm as a "girl style" watch. The majority of women's watches that I've seen actual women wear have watch faces around 20x15 millimeters and Apple Watch looks like a beast compared to most of them.

But I guess the "the bigger the better" masculinity hang-up is tough for some people to shake.

Shearie

I think some of you are overstating the 38mm as a "girl style" watch. The majority of women's watches that I've seen actual women wear have watch faces around 20x15 millimeters and Apple Watch looks like a beast compared to most of them.

But I guess the "the bigger the better" masculinity hang-up is tough for some people to shake.

I think it's more like the videos and photos we've seen don't give an accurate representation on how small these watches are in person. The 42mm case is nowhere near as big as the watches I see most people wear.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, these watches are not big at all as far as width.

I don't mind a watch covering the whole top of the wrist, but when they are almost "all dial" (or in this case, "all screen") it looks a little off to me. This is true for all kinds of watches.

Again, it's personal preference.

2735643-tumblr_ndfzyvuujn1qgk7zxo1_400-1426102516.gif

Blackhead

Redarse
I think it's more like the videos and photos we've seen don't give an accurate representation on how small these watches are in person. The 42mm case is nowhere near as big as the watches I see most people wear.
the 42mm case isn't that big itself but the big blank screen just blots out everything else. The big watches that people wear are made up of all those small elements on the watchfaces (hands, jewels, logos etc) that your eyes can focus on but the Apple Watch is like a black hole on your wrist... It needs a bigger band/lugs imo. I hope third party strap makers step up

Terrell

I think it's more like the videos and photos we've seen don't give an accurate representation on how small these watches are in person. The 42mm case is nowhere near as big as the watches I see most people men wear.

FTFY

I definitely don't disagree with the general sentiment, the size really is unintentionally deceptive in most photos, videos and promo materials.
But there's no sense in making each size a gendered issue.

Juice

Glad I got a Day 1 space grey sport because after trying a bunch on in person I feel like it's by far the best choice

+ matte shows fewer scuffs, more discrete
+ rubber feels great
+ much lighter weight than the steel

I was particularly disappointed by the steel link band. They don't match at all! The links are all brushed metal but the case is highly reflective polished. Very disjoint.

Edit: tried on 38mm and 42mm and 42mm looked much better on my wrists. I weigh 170 pounds, 6 feet tall. Big boned.

Funny enough, I'm definitely on the wrong side. I'm right handed but wear a watch on my right wrist. So I'll need the watch reversed.

I have done this with every watch I've ever owned and now I'm kind of wiggin' out about switching to the left wrist to "properly" use the Apple Watch. Blergh!!

Shearie

Glad I got a Day 1 space grey sport because after trying a bunch on in person I feel like it's by far the best choice

+ matte shows fewer scuffs, more discrete
+ rubber feels great
+ much lighter weight than the steel

I was particularly disappointed by the steel link band. They don't match at all! The links are all brushed metal but the case is highly reflective polished. Very disjoint.

Edit: tried on 38mm and 42mm and 42mm looked much better on my wrists. I weigh 170 pounds, 6 feet tall. Big boned.

While you're right that the metal for the case and the link bracelet are different, I not only don't think it looks bad but it was possibly the best looking model out of all of them to me.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm having a hard time finding something that speaks for the Stainless steel one.
Imho it's all about desire. sport (black or silver) is geek chic. Stainless steel is much more about "classic style" than geek chic. Really just what you feel more comfortable with or like better.

I'm at the point/age where I really I may have possibly aged out of geek chic (40.....) and have the money so stainless steel seemed a no brainier. I am giving my bank account a month of rest or so though before dropping another 450 on the steel band. :eek:

But yeah... Just style and preference.

Edit - and yes the 38mm is a women's watch face. You guys who say you have small wrists may in fact have small wrists compared to most guys, but probably still MUCH larger wrists than most girls. I feel I have small wrists and mine are 170mm. Meanwhile my wife actually has like 130mm wrists. And I would consider mine small for a guy and hers big for a girl. FYI.

Sean

Banned
I'm at the point/age where I really I may have possibly aged out of geek chic (40.....) and have the money so stainless steel seemed a no brainier. I am giving my bank account a month of rest or so though before dropping another 450 on the steel band. :eek:

You might be aware of this already, but despite having a lower upfront cost, it'll cost $50 more in the end to purchase the stainless steel band separately.

$549/$599 for the cheapest steel (sport band) + $450 steel band = $999/$1049 total cost. But if you get it with the steel band from the start it's $949/$999 (50 bucks cheaper).

LCfiner

If it’s 50 bucks more but you have both sport and SS bands in your possession, instead of just the ss band, it seems like a good deal. Is that how the math works out?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Edit - and yes the 38mm is a women's watch face. You guys who say you have small wrists may in fact have small wrists compared to most guys, but probably still MUCH larger wrists than most girls. I feel I have small wrists and mine are 170mm. Meanwhile my wife actually has like 130mm wrists. And I would consider mine small for a guy and hers big for a girl. FYI.

No it's not. And remember the larger Apple watch is just under 36mm wide.
Watches actually marketed for women are high 20s to 34mm. Of course lots of women wear oversized watches just as men do as it's the fashion currently.

My wrists are about 171mm and my best fitting watch is 35mm in diameter.
Not my pic, but the watch is the same and the wrist size about the same. Little to no bezel combined with longer lugs make it seem larger.
Every watch wears differently. There's no standard really.

Terrell

The average wrist size for women is 5.5-6.5 inches, or 140-165mm.
Your wrist is just below the low scale on men's average wrist size, 7-8 inches.
Shorter individuals tend to fall on the low end of these averages across both genders.
My wrist is 150mm, for comparison. I am a man.

So no, hers are not "big for a girl", and no, 38mm is not strictly a "women's" size.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
No it's not. And remember the larger Apple watch is just under 36mm wide.
Watches actually marketed for women are high 20s to 34mm. Of course lots of women wear oversized watches just as men do as it's the fashion currently.

My wrists are about 171mm and my best fitting watch is 35mm in diameter.
Not my pic, but the watch is the same and the wrist size about the same. Little to no bezel combined with longer lugs make it seem larger.
Every watch wears differently. There's no standard really.
Buuuutttt....:D like you said the face is 35mm but the lugs extend its length. Hence why when you look at the face/screen specs on the most popular Wear watches they don't seem that big until you look at actual dimensions (including lugs) and realize they are 25-30% larger than the Watch.

I mean I no way did I mean "if you're a guy you HAVE to get 42mm". Just that in most cases I feel guys will find the 42mm a better fit whilemost girls will find it really large. If someone is comfortable with it another way then that's great. But I think it's safe to say the norm will be like this.

Edit - looking back at it I worded it pretty starkly. My apologies. I just meant for most the sizes will fall into those categories. But definitely not for everyone. And in no way meant to imply "what's wrong with you?" If the other size is more comfortable. Just a response to the many saying "I thought 38 would be fine but it was really small"

Phreaker

Here is Gary being interviewed by Tested.com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehwciMNfbG0

I agree with Gary. I do wonder if this will be something that after a few months I feel I could never give up or if I'll just feel indifferent about it. I hope it's the former! It was also nice to hear Norm's comments about size and that he thought he'd prefer the smaller one but actually liked the larger one.

Also I am hoping for some great bracelets for the space gray sports version.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Update for all of the people who thought the Edition model would flop:

5ExBryS.png

It was always for China.
I saw the Edition today in person. I'm not sold on the gold being real. Looked fakeish to me.

I tried the rubber band and the leather band. They were both okay, but I'm sticking with my Click adapters for now.

Top Bottom