• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Terrell

I saw the Edition today in person. I'm not sold on the gold being real. Looked fakeish to me.
You can't possibly be serious about this. You think Apple is going to risk the goodwill of customers who have enough money to afford a $10,000 watch by cheating them? If they can afford a $10,000 watch, you know what else they can afford? Lawyers.

And this isn't even factoring in how much trust would be lost with their entire consumer base.

I'd say you were making a joke, but jokes are supposed to be funny.

Is Apple watch space gray darker than iPhone 5s and 6?

(And by extension the new MacBook?)
I've been wondering this too, I was hoping that my watch would match my 6+ but the pictures I've seen make it look black, whereas the phone is more of a grey/dark silver.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Update for all of the people who thought the Edition model would flop:

5ExBryS.png

It was always for China.

What does he mean by out of stock?
This morning all the Editions weren't shipping for a while. Some started out that way too.

mrkgoo

You can't possibly be serious about this. You think Apple is going to risk the goodwill of customers who have enough money to afford a $10,000 watch by cheating them? If they can afford a $10,000 watch, you know what else they can afford? Lawyers.

And this isn't even factoring in how much trust would be lost with their entire consumer base.

I loled at his comment.

I mean I can understand not liking the gold and it appearing fake to your eyes, but there's absolutely no way Apple would be disingenuous on something like this. Sure they may be stretching terms like "inventing their own gold", but it would absolutely be what they say it is to the point where they would've hired metallurgists and jewellery makers to go through it all.

That's the thing about design, it's not just shape but also materials. They go through everything about it from composition, testing, durability etc. it's something they meticulously confirm to their specifications on fit and finish, pretty much to a fault in some cases.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Had an odd experience with my demo. I think the guy who helped me was either new or very tired.

I got to try on a variety of models, but the 38mm w/modern buckel was the one I was most interested in since its the one I ordered. The band they had on hand was still a little loose on my wrist when it was tightened as tight as it would go. I asked the guy which size band it was and he said it was the medium/large one and that there were only two sizes available. Which gave me pause, because on the websitere there is explicitly three band sizes for the modern buckel. I don't know if he thought it was the leather loop or if he thought that I was asking about the size of the watch itself, but I asked him three times in three different ways which size band I was wearing and I could not get a straight answer out of him.

So.. shit. If that was indeed the medium size band then I need to get the small one.. but I ordered the medium one assuming it was the right one.

I'm gonna go back next week and hopefully will have someone a little more on point.

The demo loop was very underwhelming, nearly useless. It really was more about the feel of it.. but then they didn't let me choose which color bands I could try too. So it was kind of a waste of time? The modern buckel I tried was black, but the one I ordered is brown.

The milanese loop was surprisingly sick, though a little too mobster. The leather loop strap is awesome but only available for the 42mm. Seriously though, that band was really comfortable. Sport band seemed nice and quite a bit like the Swatches I wear now.

I played with the UI at the kiosk for a bit before my appointment was schedule but didn't really get anywhere.

Looked very nice in person. I'm really in love with the style I chose, I saw it under the glass and the brown/steel is just right.

Hasney

I saw the Edition today in person. I'm not sold on the gold being real. Looked fakeish to me.

I tried the rubber band and the leather band. They were both okay, but I'm sticking with my Click adapters for now.

While obviously not fake, I would assume that the Apple patented process would change the look of it somewhat. I mean, it's technically 18k gold, but it's using less actual gold than regular 18k due to the process.

http://leancrew.com/all-this/2015/03/apple-gold/

riotous

Banned
While obviously not fake, I would assume that the Apple patented process would change the look of it somewhat. I mean, it's technically 18k gold, but it's using less actual gold than regular 18k due to the process.

http://leancrew.com/all-this/2015/03/apple-gold/

So it's... golder than gold!

j/k I realize it's the opposite by some measures. I am just having a laugh because I think that model is so irrelevant to such a mass majority of people.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

Maybe it was the lighting in the Apple Store, but the gold really didn't look like gold to me. Then again, I'm not really anal about that kind of thing, because I don't have the money for it. I wasn't trying to start a fight or anything, just making an observation.

Also, is it me, or do the pics of gold watches in general not come out good?

Hasney

This patent isn't actually being used in the Edition.

Source? I tried Googling it, but it's all stories from a month ago saying it is being used. Filtering on last week brings up something to do with the watch being delayed in Switzerland due to some other patent.

Less per volume but the same per weight.

Yup, which is why I would think it would change the look of it. Plus they've not gone for an ostentatious gold which I feel an understated yellowness makes some people think it looks a bit fake.

Guess Who

Banned
Source? I tried Googling it, but it's all stories from a month ago saying it is being used. Filtering on last week brings up something to do with the watch being delayed in Switzerland due to some other patent.

http://atomicdelights.com/blog/a-glimpse-at-how-the-apple-watch-is-made
http://www.cultofmac.com/315297/apples-special-gold-isnt-so-special-after-all/

tl;dr Apple put out a series of videos showing how each Watch model is made, and the gold alloy and hardening process described in said videos is pretty standard-issue.

Hasney

http://atomicdelights.com/blog/a-glimpse-at-how-the-apple-watch-is-made
http://www.cultofmac.com/315297/apples-special-gold-isnt-so-special-after-all/

tl;dr Apple put out a series of videos showing how each Watch model is made, and the gold alloy and hardening process described in said videos is pretty standard-issue.

Cheers. I hope they use it in version 2 then with a similar video, if their ceramic process works, it will be damn interesting.

Fucking tech sites though, every major one ran the story about using the patent either a day before those 2 links without an update or some even after.

Cheers. I hope they use it in version 2 then with a similar video, if their ceramic process works, it will be damn interesting.

Fucking tech sites though, every major one ran the story about using the patent either a day before those 2 links without an update or some even after.

My rule of thumb is to never ever believe a story about patents. They almost never pan out.

Terrell

The demo loop was very underwhelming, nearly useless. It really was more about the feel of it.

That was my takeaway, as well. The demo really poorly highlights the features that differentiate it and doesn't give you any real-world use cases. Since they can't be worn outside an appointment for fittings, the demos should be a sort of guided tour where typical usage events occur based on specific user actions after the demo is activated, guided by the salesman. Just to really give a feel for everything and how you would actually expect to use it. I got more out of the experience when I was fiddling with the watch at the demo table and considering it's a wearable device, some of that should be properly demoed while it's on the wrist.

Had an odd experience with my demo. I think the guy who helped me was either new or very tired.

My demo was underwhelming as well. With Angela Ahrendts in charge of the stores now, and considering the Watch is a much more personal product than an iPhone, I was expecting a fashion experience. What I got was a very awkward Apple Store employee standing there, looking around uninterested, while I attempted to make sense of the options and which size looked better on me. Angela has work to do.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
My demo was underwhelming as well. With Angela Ahrendts in charge of the stores now, and considering the Watch is a much more personal product than an iPhone, I was expecting a fashion experience. What I got was a very awkward Apple Store employee standing there, looking around uninterested, while I attempted to make sense of the options and which size looked better on me. Angela has work to do.

I got a 38 and 42 Sport Watch, and I'll be cancelling the 42. I have fairly slim wrists, and the 42 looks like a gadget on me. The 38 looks like a watch.

The Store where I was also had demo units fixed to a display stand that had a more interactive experience- I could press the button and move the crown, touch the screen and futz around with a demo of the Watch OS. Did you get that option?

The Store where I was also had demo units fixed to a display stand that had a more interactive experience- I could press the button and move the crown, touch the screen and futz around with a demo of the Watch OS. Did you get that option?

There were some Watches there that were not on a demo loop; I don't know how much functionality was locked off, but I could interact with most things. The employee knew very little about the Watch though (didn't even know it had Force Touch), and so I just fumbled around trying to figure out the UI for a bit. However, the Watches that were set aside for the try-ons were not even powered. The Stores must've not been given clear directions, or this store was just mismanaged.

The employee did tell me that they'd had to go through a 10-hour training course in how to put Watches on people without offending them...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the 42mm case isn't that big itself but the big blank screen just blots out everything else. The big watches that people wear are made up of all those small elements on the watchfaces (hands, jewels, logos etc) that your eyes can focus on but the Apple Watch is like a black hole on your wrist... It needs a bigger band/lugs imo. I hope third party strap makers step up

I agree. The moto 360 has a smaller face than the G Watch R but feels larger on the wrist because it is legless, so it is all screen. The Apple watch has little lugs, but it is still quite abrupt in how it transitions between face and strap.

It does seem like trying it on is important though. being rectangular will make it feel different, even if you're used to a largish round watch. I wonder how many returns/exchanges there will be from people blindly ordering online? I think apple should have guaranteed stock for those people booking a viewing, rather than punishing them for waiting.

mrkgoo

Ultimately the end-experience is with another human. Apple employees do get training, but some will take to it better than others, and sometimes, some just won't have had the training yet.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Stainless Steel + Milanese Loops looks fucking great. Every time I see a picture of the combo I become more happy with my choice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Did those of you that had a demo get to see how the haptics work? Aside from how it fits, that would be the thing I was most curious about.

Shearie

Did those of you that had a demo get to see how the haptics work? Aside from how it fits, that would be the thing I was most curious about.

The ones you try on only go through a demo loop. The person helping me said that it sometimes taps you during the demo but it didn't tap for me; maybe because I kept going between the 38mm and 42mm case fairly quickly to compare them.

Terrell

It's not very prominently featured in the demo loop, and one of the few samples of it happens right at the beginning when the demo starts running.
It feels good. Much more subtle than a standard vibrate function but without being so weak that you can't feel it.

giga

Ever since reading Gruber's bit about how he doesn't always move his wrist to check the time on his watch, I started noticing that I do the same. I was driving yesterday and I didn't move my hand from my steering wheel to check the time. I was also typing earlier in the day and found myself checking the time on my wrist while composing an email. There's just a lot of different scenarios where I found myself checking the time on my wrist without actually moving my wrist. After thinking about it, I'm not sure if I could change this behavior for the Apple Watch, since the display isn't always on and you need to move your wrist to turn it on. I hope future revisions come up with some sort of solution to always display the time on the display, in ultra low power mode or something else.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ever since reading Gruber's bit about how he doesn't always move his wrist to check the time on his watch, I started noticing that I do the same. I was driving yesterday and I didn't move my hand from my steering wheel to check the time. I was also typing earlier in the day and found myself checking the time on my wrist while composing an email. There's just a lot of different scenarios where I found myself checking the time on my wrist without actually moving my wrist. After thinking about it, I'm not sure if I could change this behavior for the Apple Watch, since the display isn't always on and you need to move your wrist to turn it on. I hope future revisions come up with some sort of solution to always display the time on the display, in ultra low power mode or something else.
Surprisingly none of the tech parts of the reviews have me worried I know I going to adore the tech in the Watch. The only thing that's given me a slight pause is Gruber's rather on point comparison to people who use a watch regularly. Now I DON'T use a watch regularly. Actual never do except formal occasions. So I am guessing I'll have it much better than others. But I'll still be curious how much it affectse and still hope apple opens up more options for screen time. Ideally give longer options for raise to view (10-20 seconds as options) and also give like a "tap to sleep" option for the "tap to view". Yes both could shorten battery life a bit but I honestly think if apple did that on software version x.1 or x.2 users would have an idea of what they were in for with such options.

japtor

My lust of space black was confirmed in person and suckered myself into that one (...also it's a birthday present). But also confirmed was not really caring for the link bracelets, so I guess I'll try selling that off if I feel the same way when it shows up. It's not available separately but I don't know what the demand would be for it separately, I'm curious how much they'll sell for once in the wild.

Size wise echoing what some other people mentioned, it looks a lot smaller in person, might be cause the face/case noticeably rounds off vs being a flat slab in pictures I guess. I think my wrists are about 7” or 177mm, and both the 38 and 42 looked fine. Hard choice really, just went with 42 out of my decision process of "ehhh...fuck it, go big or go home." Hopefully I don't regret that.
I've been wondering this too, I was hoping that my watch would match my 6+ but the pictures I've seen make it look black, whereas the phone is more of a grey/dark silver.
It's definitely a gray/dark silver and the matte kinda accentuates it with the right light, but I'm not sure if it's the same tone as the iPhone or darker cause I haven't seen them regularly enough to compare. Out of the options it's ultimately the closest by far though.
That's something I figured would be a problem since I had a Fuelband for a while and noticed the same thing (but even worse since you had to press the button). I'm curious if it shows up if you just shake/wiggle the wrist a bit vs the turn/lift people are doing in videos, not perfect but at least a bit easier than the full motion. Assuming the motion recognition is in software it'll interesting to see if or how much they tweak it after release and get more real world feedback.

asdad123

Same here, unsure if I can buy it on its own.

Going by previous apple launches.

Bring it into the store after you receive it. You should have 60 days to purchase apple care if the product is undamaged (if they tread it the same as ipad/iphone). Don't try to mess with the order online otherwise it'll reset your place in line.

Appleman

Going by previous apple launches.

Bring it into the store after you receive it. You should have 60 days to purchase apple care if the product is undamaged (if they tread it the same as ipad/iphone). Don't try to mess with the order online otherwise it'll reset your place in line.

Can't you extend the warranty anytime within AppleCare's first complimentary year?

Top Bottom