• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

kaskade

I don't know if I want to go for the apple care. I think the only reason would be if I got some big scratch on the display. I don't know if I see anything else really happening to it. There's much less chance of drops and stuff since it's attached to the wrist. Seems like the the sapphire display on the Apple Watch it's probably even less of an issue in regards to scratching.

I don't know if I want to go for the apple care. I think the only reason would be if I got some big scratch on the display. I don't know if I see anything else really happening to it. There's much less chance of drops and stuff since it's attached to the wrist. Seems like the the sapphire display on the Apple Watch it's probably even less of an issue in regards to scratching.

I think if you get the Sport model, it's probably worth getting AppleCare since it uses a similar glass to the iPhone's. What if you happen to slam it against a sharp metal corner? It could be fine, but none of us yet know the characteristics under which these displays might crack.

I think if you get the Sport model, it's probably worth getting AppleCare since it uses a similar glass to the iPhone's. What if you happen to slam it against a sharp metal corner? It could be fine, but none of us yet know the characteristics under which these displays might crack.

Someone should make an appointment to try on the watches and take a hammer to one of these things.

chadskin

Is damage caused by the "carelessness" of the user even covered under an Apple Care warranty?

Looks like Apple's really getting this out there.

Smart on Apple's part. The one thing no one can deny is that they are damn good at marketing and creating hype for their products and for the watch to be really successful they need to make watches seem cool to a whole group of people who don't normally wear (tends to be younger people) and getting athletes and entertainers to help with that is pretty smart.

AppleCare+ for iPhones cover 2 accidents during the life of the coverage, so I'd assume it would be the same for the watch.

Yup.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/watch.html

AppleCare+ for Apple Watch and Apple Watch Sport extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee ($69 for Apple Watch Sport, $79 for Apple Watch) plus applicable tax.

AppleCare+ for Apple Watch Edition extends your coverage to three years from the original purchase date and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $1000 service fee plus applicable tax.

ecurbj

Went to the Eaton Centre Apple Store at 4:15 after work today.

Tried on a few, mainly the 42mm black sport that we're all getting. Also tried on the 38mm for comparison, the Milanese loop, and the classic leather band.

17101892191_48e9b838ef_c.jpg

Left picture shot -
hN7iicF.png

So glad I went with the 42mm Black Sport. No regrets. I got the 4/28 - 5/8 delivery window also. I can't wait!!

I think they had a low production on the first run of watches. Which makes sense.

That's what I thought would be the case, but damn, Montreal downtown location is maybe 80% Apple Watch on the ground floor. Almost every laptop they sell has been moved upstairs or packed in storage. They are pushing the Watch hard.

Tried on a few, mainly the 42mm black sport that we're all getting. Also tried on the 38mm for comparison, the Milanese loop, and the classic leather band.

My personal opinion, the 38 looks much better on you. A watch shouldn't be as wide as your wrist. This is the kind of stuff Apple employees should be telling people, but a 10 hour training course isn't going to suddenly make them fashion savvy.

I wish Apple offered a 40 personally; I find the 38 a bit small (though about the same as my 1964 Bulova); 40 would be perfect and a better compromise on screen size and look.

finalflame

I tried it in person yesterday and it looks cheap as shit.

yeah, not a fan. looked like a casio calculator watch.

5166465451_ded900eaf8.jpg

Some sour grapes up in this thread.

I tried on a variety of watches yesterday and am glad I went with the 38mm Silver/white band. Looks slick and clean. I don't want a watch I'll be using all day every day, and at the gym, to feel any heavier on my wrist than it needs to.

Cloudy

Banned
My personal opinion, the 38 looks much better on you. A watch shouldn't be as wide as your wrist. This is the kind of stuff Apple employees should be telling people, but a 10 hour training course isn't going to suddenly make them fashion savvy.

I wish Apple offered a 40 personally; I find the 38 a bit small (though about the same as my 1964 Bulova); 40 would be perfect and a better compromise on screen size and look.

Some people just like bigger watches. It's about personal preference not how it looks to others lol

yogloo

The 38mm looks better on you. The 42 simply looks terrible.

Some people just like bigger watches. It's about personal preference not how it looks to others lol

z4QuQ8t.jpg

Protip:
you're not michael jordan

finalflame

lol, that seems a bit dramatic.

Not really, it looks way too big. The straps are pretty much hanging over his wrist. That's not how a watch should fit/looks good.

Of course, people can wear whatever they want, but saying it looks terrible is not dramatic, it's just what it is.

finalflame

Anyone with sub-170mm wrists should strongly consider the 38mm Watch.

185mm and still went with 38mm. 42mm is just a monster. I suspect this will go in line with people who own an iPhone 6+ and think it's a reasonable size, when it's actually cartoonishly large.

Cloudy

Banned
Not really, it looks way too big. The straps are pretty much hanging over his wrist. That's not how a watch should fit/looks good.

Of course, people can wear whatever they want, but saying it looks terrible is not dramatic, it's just what it is.

Are we sure it's fastened as snugly as the first pic? I have 38mm and 42mm watches myself and much prefer the bigger look like the left picture.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
tried both on, and despite small wrists and thinking i'd be 38mm, definitely going 42.

The link bracelet is waaaay badass in person. looks so good. That's gonna be expensive.

Milanese is nice, not overwhelming but it's cool.

Sport band is fine, seems premium and nice.

My try on experience was ok, obviously the demo loop is worthless, but the employee was friendly and helped me try on lots of different options.

Guess Who

Banned
185mm and still went with 38mm. 42mm is just a monster. I suspect this will go in line with people who own an iPhone 6+ and think it's a reasonable size, when it's actually cartoonishly large.

185mm is a little questionable on the 38mm model if only because some of the straps (Milanese loop, modern buckle) don't even go that large on the 38mm model. I think only the link bracelet, classic buckle, and sport band do.

finalflame

Are we sure it's fastened as snugly as the first pic? I have 38mm and 42mm watches myself and I much prefer the bigger look

Good question, that could be contributing to how large it looks.

At the end of the day, something as personal as a watch/wearable items in general just comes down to personal taste. To me, and my preferences of fit, the 42mm looks large on his wrist. Plenty of people enjoy larger watches, and I think it's even fashionable these days, so all the power to 42mm watch-wearers.

At the end of the day, we're in this together.

185mm is a little questionable on the 38mm model if only because some of the straps (Milanese loop, modern buckle) don't even go that large on the 38mm model. I think only the link bracelet, classic buckle, and sport band do.

True on the alternative bands, but my only real interest is the sport band, which goes up to 200mm.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'll be honest and say I've yet to see a picture of the 42mm on a wrist that looks good. (Exception perhaps being the Blake Griffen photo in case he's wearing the 42 but his giant wrists are making it look tiny)

I have a 42mm Skagen and the OG Pebble that is taller than 42mm and they both look fine on me. I'm sure the 42mm Apple Watch will too. I'm also 6' 2" so I don't have small wrists.

oti

Banned
I found this week's Vergecast quite interesting. Sounds like just another Smartwatch to me with that pinch of extra care Apple puts into its products. That's fine, I would've expect more though to be honest. I'm happy with my LG G, doesn't sound like the Apple Watch is that much different.

SuperPac

I was surprised how small they both were in person. Can't see the 38mm looking good on anybody but kids and petite women, it's tiny.

Happened to be in the mall today and went by the Apple Store. Yeah they really are tiny. Looking forward to my try-on appointment tomorrow.

finalflame

Has anyone tried wearing the Watch on the 'inside' of the wrist? Any pictures?

Why would anyone do this? Unless you're a soldier or work in another field where this is particularly beneficial. For most this just means easily scratching the watch face against whatever desk/table you're sitting at.

Also, it looks silly.

Why would anyone do this? Unless you're a soldier or work in another field where this is particularly beneficial. For most this just means easily scratching the watch face against whatever desk/table you're sitting at.

Also, it looks silly.

I know a few women who wear watches like that, I think they find it more comfortable.

Cloudy

Banned
Looks like there's a few around that price range. It's going to hard to resist selling my watch and just holding out for a later shipment.

I got a 2nd preorder hoping one might ship early (both May 14 range) but I feel the hype will really hit after launch and a $400 markup will be achievable.

.hacked

Put my pebble steel up on eBay last night, at work today and I am missing it. Can't wait for my apple watch to arrive.

I got a 2nd preorder hoping one might ship early (both May 14 range) but I feel the hype will really hit after launch and a $400 markup will be achievable.

That's what it looks like for the model I ordered but if I sold it I think the only watch I'd want to replace it with is the black steel version and that's not shipping until July now.

Juice

Why the hell are so many people freaking out about scratching the glass display? I've owned every single model of iPhone and traveled probably 120,000 miles in that time without a case and I've never scratched a single screen.

So why does the mere existence of a sapphire option suddenly stir the hardcore fans into a panic over the glass on Apple Watch?

Judging from what we've seen so far, one should be much more concerned about the scuffs that quickly accumulate on the steel case than the glass on the Sport.

Terrell

Why the hell are so many people freaking out about scratching the glass display? I've owned every single model of iPhone and traveled probably 120,000 miles in that time without a case and I've never scratched a single screen.

So why does the mere existence of a sapphire option suddenly stir the hardcore fans into a panic over the glass on Apple Watch?

Judging from what we've seen so far, one should be much more concerned about the scuffs that quickly accumulate on the steel case than the glass on the Sport.
You don't have an iPhone constantly exposed to the outside world; you don't wear it. That's why. The opportunities to damage it accidentally increase tenfold.

border

Did anybody try to pair their phone with one of the demo units?

It's really weird -- the camera viewfinder pops up and you are supposed to center the watch within a little onscreen square. What is the purpose of this?

Did anybody try to pair their phone with one of the demo units?

It's really weird -- the camera viewfinder pops up and you are supposed to center the watch within a little onscreen square. What is the purpose of this?

I imagine that the Watch boots up to some unique image when it's not already paired with a phone.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Gorilla Glass on the sport should be fine. The biggest issue the sport model has is the "cheap" stigma. It's essentially the kiddie version of the Apple Watch. The version every middle school kid will have.

RoKKeR

Gorilla Glass on the sport should be fine. The biggest issue the sport model has is the "cheap" stigma. It's essentially the kiddie version of the Apple Watch. The version every middle school kid will have.

Yeah, my thoughts as well. Additionally I think the Stainless Steel model just looks much better and can be paired with almost any band and still look good.

At the same time I still want the Black Sport because it's the best gen 1 option. Really interested to hear all of the impressions and see everybody's pictures.

Top Bottom