• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

bigpumbaa

I haven't seen many impressions on the smaller watch from a guy's perspective. I preordered the 38MM in Space Grey and went to try everything on this afternoon. My wrist is about 175MM and I suppose I've always considered it average. I currently wear a Garmin Vivofit.

I was super nervous it'd be too small based on the impression I'd been seeing.

Long story short - the smaller one is completely fantastic. It doesn't look silly, too small, or feminine at all. The screen is crisp, lovely, and readable. The touch targets are great - all in all if you preordered the smaller one and are a dude you shouldn't worry.

I also gotta say that the Space Grey looks FANTASTIC. And I think it's going to be pretty sweet with the other colors of the Sport Band (which feels fantastic).

The 42MM doesn't feel too big or anything - it was definitely fine on my wrist - but in terms of my preference I'm pumped about the more understated "less tech" looking 38MM.

I tried the Milanese Loop - it was expectedly gorgeous. The magnet was SUPER strong and made it a little unwieldily - but it felt great (and also not too ostentatious for a guy).

The link bracelet is just UNBELIEVABLE. It's amazing machined. It's amazingly precisely cut. It's exactly what you'd expect from an Apple-created link bracelet. I think when we get a second or third gen Apple Watch - I'll spend the money on the link bracelet and the Stainless Steel.

For now - I'm super pumped. The cheapest Apple watch is understated and looks fantastic. 38MM Space Grey is a fantastic option - it doesn't look too feminine at all - rest assured if you're a dude who made that choice!

Lemme know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.

Terrell

You don't drop a watch though.

As if that's the only way to damage a screen.

People already get paranoid about their phone's screen getting damaged, which is why screen protectors are still somehow a big deal. Mine has a long deep scratch in it, which I have no idea how it got there. I'm not fussing over it, but it's there. And that's with a device that spends half the day or more in my pocket.

finalflame

Gorilla Glass on the sport should be fine. The biggest issue the sport model has is the "cheap" stigma. It's essentially the kiddie version of the Apple Watch. The version every middle school kid will have.

Do people honestly care about this fake, made-up, "stigma"? Kids in middle school are walking around with iPhone 6s. Who cares. I think a lot of people are prudent not to spend $500+ on a first generation Apple product that will mostly likely be wholly obsolete in a year.

Juice

People already get paranoid about their phone's screen getting damaged, which is why screen protectors are still somehow a big deal.

Most people putting a screen protector on an iPhone are paranoid and salving their irrational fear by buying peace of mind for a worse experience.

So, yeah, sure. Those same people are probably terrified of the Sport.

I mean I've abused my iPhone screens with some very heavy use (keys, knives, drops) and the most I've ever gotten are dings on the bezel. And unlike most people I have my phone exposed most of the day, not looking where I'm even going most of the time. It's hardly ever not in my hands when I'm not working

kaskade

Do people honestly care about this fake, made-up, "stigma"? Kids in middle school are walking around with iPhone 6s. Who cares.

I don't, I'm sure you go to a more ritzy school and all the kids will have the stainless band and watch.

I just don't want to drop that much on a first gen product really. I know it's going to improve over the next few iterations and it's not 100% given that the bands will be compatible with future devices AFAIK.

Do people honestly care about this fake, made-up, "stigma"? Kids in middle school are walking around with iPhone 6s. Who cares.

I don't think it's worth caring about but I do think that the Watch Sport definitely does look cheaper because of the dull finish. Although if athletes like Blake Griffin are being given that version of the watch maybe Apple will be able to get people to see it as a choice for athletes and not cheap people.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I haven't seen many impressions on the smaller watch from a guy's perspective. I preordered the 38MM in Space Grey and went to try everything on this afternoon. My wrist is about 175MM and I suppose I've always considered it average. I currently wear a Garmin Vivofit.
~
Lemme know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.
Nice impressions. I got the 38mm Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop.

On the Milanese Loop, did you get a chance to take it on and off yourself? One of the things I hate about certain bands is how I have to fiddle to put it on and off. I hope the Milanese Loop is as simple as it look.

finalflame

Most people putting a screen protector on an iPhone are paranoid and salving their irrational fear by buying peace of mind for a worse experience.

I mean I've abused my iPhone screens with some very heavy use (keys, knives, drops) and the most I've ever gotten are dings on the bezel. And unlike most people I have my phone exposed most of the day, not looking where I'm even going most of the time. It's hardly ever not in my hands when I'm not working

I honestly think people have different levels of perception for scratches. I typically put a screen protector on all my electronic devices, meticulously applied so it's invisible. On all occasions, with previous iPhones (original, 3G, 3GS, 4, 5, 5S), I have ALWAYS noted that after taking my screen protector off, with light use and making a big effort NOT to mix my phone with keys etc, micro-scratches always appear on the screen.

Can't be buffed out, or ignored in direct sunlight. It drives me nuts, and a screen protector prevents that from happening.

I suppose the same people that "never had a problem" are the same people that try to sell things like Vitas, 3DS, iPhones, etc stating they have "no scratches" when in reality the device is scratch-ridden. Just because you don't pay enough attention to notice how messed up your screens are doesn't mean they've been kept in pristine condition.

bigpumbaa

Nice impressions. I got the 38mm Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop.

On the Milanese Loop, did you get a chance to take it on and off yourself? One of the things I hate about certain bands is how I have to fiddle to put it on and off. I hope the Milanese Loop is as simple as it look.

It's super simple. The only thing "difficult" is unsticking the magnetic tip - and that's just because it's a super strong magnet that won't undo while you're walking around.

StillEdge

People already get paranoid about their phone's screen getting damaged, which is why screen protectors are still somehow a big deal. Mine has a long deep scratch in it, which I have no idea how it got there. I'm not fussing over it, but it's there. And that's with a device that spends half the day or more in my pocket.

If I remember right the Sport edition Apple Care was 30-50 bucks. I'd rather get the Apple Care then put a screen protector on my watch.

border

My main disappointment with the Apple Watch is that the Maps app seems kinda crummy in terms of looks and performance. It's hard to go from the snappy 60fps smoothness of an iPhone to that laggy, slow-to-load maps on the Watch.

Future

My main disappointment with the Apple Watch is that the Maps app seems kinda crummy in terms of looks and performance. It's hard to go from the snappy 60fps smoothness of an iPhone to that laggy, slow-to-load maps on the Watch.

Is there a good video link showing this?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

You're probably only going to glance at it when a turn comes up though, rather than eg having it on the dash of your car permanently on view. So it may not matter in real life usage.

Terrell

Don't you miss having a free hand? Seems like you're a prime candidate for a smartwatch, to help wean you off of your phone addiction.

And it's not even about being terrified of it, it's about accepting the reality of the glass on the Sport not being impervious to damage. It's undeniable truth. So if people want to spend $200 more for more bracelet style options and a screen that can survive sandpaper, a hammer and a power drill, that's their choice, and it's a perfectly valid one based on the facts.

Sean

Banned
Spent like half an hour playing with the Apple Watch OS in-depth, some impressions and complaints:

Some things are not very intuitive at first. For example the gesture to activate Glances (swipe up from the bottom of the screen) can ONLY can be activated from the watch face. Whereas on the iPhone and iPad we're used to being able to bring up notification center and control panel system-wide, here it only can be activated in one specific area. You can't get to Glances from the Apple Watch's home screen for example as the swipes there are used to pan around your app icons. You also can't get to glances if you're within an app. The reason for this makes sense when you think about it, but it's weird to adjust to at first.

And because of the tiny screen there's barely any UI elements/buttons exposed in some apps. Many of the basic app features (the reply and trash buttons in Mail for example) are hidden behind a Force Touch press, so the user doesn't really have any clue what they're capable of doing until they press down on the screen very hard. And there's nothing to indicate that you should press down firmly on the screen either. I think this is going to be the most confusing aspect for a lot of people since Force Touch is a new concept and can't really be triggered by accident. It's something you'll have to be told to do.

Other nitpicks and observations:
- The Digital Touch communication thing where you can draw stuff to your friends is kind of gimmicky to be honest. The screen on the watch is so small that you can only draw the most basic of shapes like a heart or a smiley face (which there's animated emoji for already anyway). It's something that makes a neat demo but most people will only use once or twice.
- Customizing the watch face was a tiny bit confusing at first, there's a ton of customization options and it wasn't always immediately obvious what I was customizing
- Stopwatch app is just information overload, there's seriously like an analog/digital hybrid with 6 clocks going at the same time along with a line graph at the bottom or some shit. Seems designed to appeal to hardcore watch nerds when I think 99.9% of people would just want a digital stopwatch in large font that's easy to glance at like it is on the iPhone.
- Weather app shows like a 12 hour forecast of todays weather along a watch face, which is clever and helpful but also bordering on information overload, some of that stuff should perhaps be moved to a second screen.
- Some things aren't totally consistent across the default apps. For example with the Stopwatch app there's a "stop" button right on the screen, but with the Workout app you have to use force touch to bring up the stop option.
- I didn't notice too many performance issues on the demo station, but they were all native apps, no third party stuff. The only thing that was slow was the Maps app loading in map tiles (similar to the early iPhones) and the Glance that showed your current location on a map. I get the feeling that Glances don't update in the background (if not, they really should.)

Overall despite all those nitpicks and complaints above I think it's VERY solid for the first version of the OS. The digital crown feels nice and works great for navigating the OS. I found it very easy to read everything, scroll, launch apps, tap most of the buttons, etc. I thought the Photos app would be a disaster on such a tiny screen and with no pinch-to-zoom but it works surprisingly well. The OS and software is thoughtfully designed for the most part and I'm looking forward to seeing how it improves and evolves.

Someone at MacRumors made a google form to analyze order time, model and shipping date:

Enter your info here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1FNaocH3DNvL7BKPP8wv0RFVmbvBKB6PsQm47VBG9hG4/viewform?usp=send_form

Current stats:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m7uUtdYJBaMRIGwH7DxnnUETziPSVEpNehG8u2us_kM/edit?usp=sharing

Pretty much you were SOL for a sport black after 12:03 -_-

My email confirmation came in at 12:02 and I'm in the first delivery, I probably made it by like 30 seconds.

SuperPac

Spent like half an hour playing with the Apple Watch OS in-depth, some impressions and complaints:

Some things are not very intuitive at first. For example the gesture to activate Glances (swipe up from the bottom of the screen) can ONLY can be activated from the watch face. Whereas on the iPhone and iPad we're used to being able to bring up notification center and control panel system-wide, here it only can be activated in one specific area. You can't get to Glances from the Apple Watch's home screen for example as the swipes there are used to pan around your app icons. You also can't get to glances if you're within an app. The reason for this makes sense when you think about it, but it's weird to adjust to at first.

I agree that it's a little odd but to me I'm mostly going to be launching glances from the watch face (since that comes up when you raise your wrist). That's easily fixable enough in software (or giving the option, anyway).

And because of the tiny screen there's barely any UI elements/buttons exposed in some apps. Many of the basic app features (the reply and trash buttons in Mail for example) are hidden behind a Force Touch press, so the user doesn't really have any clue what they're capable of doing until they press down on the screen very hard. And there's nothing to indicate that you should press down firmly on the screen either. I think this is going to be the most confusing aspect for a lot of people since Force Touch is a new concept and can't really be triggered by accident. It's something you'll have to be told to do.

This I definitely don't mind because then you can't do some of these things (like delete an email) accidentally. Yes Force Touch is a new concept, but in our try-on appointment the Apple Store employee showed my wife how to do it and she got it immediately. I don't see it as being a huge issue. There are lots of elements in iOS normally a user who's just handed a phone might not know.

Other nitpicks and observations:
- The Digital Touch communication thing where you can draw stuff to your friends is kind of gimmicky to be honest. The screen on the watch is so small that you can only draw the most basic of shapes like a heart or a smiley face (which there's animated emoji for already anyway). It's something that makes a neat demo but most people will only use once or twice.

I am going to use the tap a lot. And I can see myself using the emoji too. The drawing stuff...probably won't use much if at all but it's more because I can't draw for shit. Smileys and hearts are about as complicated as I could get now.

- Weather app shows like a 12 hour forecast of todays weather along a watch face, which is clever and helpful but also bordering on information overload, some of that stuff should perhaps be moved to a second screen.

I can see myself mostly using the Weather glance - which just shows current weather conditions and high/low. Likewise I almost never boot dedicated weather apps on the phone.

Overall despite all those nitpicks and complaints above I think it's VERY solid for the first version of the OS. The digital crown feels nice and works great for navigating the OS. I found it very easy to read everything, scroll, launch apps, tap most of the buttons, etc. I thought the Photos app would be a disaster on such a tiny screen and with no pinch-to-zoom but it works surprisingly well. The OS and software is thoughtfully designed for the most part and I'm looking forward to seeing how it improves and evolves.

Yeah for a first version this is pretty dang good. I toyed around a bit with the demo unit and was pleasantly surprised with the responsiveness - especially of the digital crown. I ran my finger over it and it wasn't even completely clear I was turning it (felt slippery) and it was registering just fine.

riotous

Banned
Gorilla Glass on the sport should be fine. The biggest issue the sport model has is the "cheap" stigma. It's essentially the kiddie version of the Apple Watch. The version every middle school kid will have.

I hope this is marketing analysis and not how you actually feel about it. lol

Couldn't care less if someone wants to judge my $400 watch as being cheap; what kind of vacuous fuckwit would think that?

border

Is there a good video link showing this?

No, I haven't seen any videos of the Maps app being used.

It feels a lot like MapQuest or like using Maps on an iPhone 2G. If you zoom in or zoom out to fast you're treated to a bunch of grids line grids that pop up while it tries to load the map. The app itself seems to be running somewhere between 20-30 fps most of the time. the experience is just a little junky, IMO. I'm curious to see what using the Watch for turn-by-turn directions will be like.

I hope this is marketing analysis and not how you actually feel about it. lol

Couldn't care less if someone wants to judge my $400 watch as being cheap; what kind of vacuous fuckwit would think that?

The kind that really, really wants to defend their $600 stainless steel purchase. Personally, I'm more than happy knowing I'll have the Sport in a few months, and once that starts to lose it's initially luster I'll probably just slap a Milanese loop band on it.

border

I was expecting the Milanese loop to feel thick and sturdy like the chain mail a knight wears.

Instead it was kinda like light and flimsy like something a belly dancer might wear.

Blackhead

Redarse

Good writeup. What about the notifications center? Is that accessible in every glance/app? My workflow is to
1) open notification center
2) tap on a notification action
3) often the notication action launches an app to reply, read, etc
4) open notification center

It'd be a real bummer if I can't open notification center from within a watch app...
I agree that it's a little odd but to me I'm mostly going to be launching glances from the watch face (since that comes up when you raise your wrist). That's easily fixable enough in software (or giving the option, anyway).

This I definitely don't mind because then you can't do some of these things (like delete an email) accidentally. Yes Force Touch is a new concept, but in our try-on appointment the Apple Store employee showed my wife how to do it and she got it immediately. I don't see it as being a huge issue. There are lots of elements in iOS normally a user who's just handed a phone might not know.

The Apple Store employee showed your wife each and every screen in every app, glance and/or complication in which Force Touch may be used to activate a hidden function?

border

Force Touch is weird because it doesn't seem to do anything consistently across apps. Sometimes it doesn't do anything at all.

It's basically a "I don't see a button for the thing I want to do so show me more options" button.

Sean

Banned
Good writeup. What about the notifications center? Is that accessible in every glance/app? My workflow is to
1) open notification center
2) tap on a notification action
3) often the notication action launches an app to reply, read, etc
4) open notification center

It'd be a real bummer if I can't open notification center from within a watch app...

The Apple Store employee showed your wife each and every screen in every app, glance and/or complication in which Force Touch may be used to activate a hidden function?

I'm not 100% certain but I think notification center has the same limitation as glances where you can only access it while within the watch face - can't do it from the apps screen or within watch apps themselves.

This makes sense when you think about it because the screen real estate is so tiny and they can't really afford to limit that even further by blocking off the top and bottom portions for system-wide gestures. And some apps like the Activity/Fitness app have you swiping up and down to change screens - I would imagine there'd be all sorts of false positives where you try to swipe and accidentally activate notification center or glances they were accessible within apps.

So I understand why it works this way, but it's still awkward at first and will take some getting used to. I hope they figure out a more elegant way of doing it in the future.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm not 100% certain but I think notification center has the same limitation as glances where you can only access it while within the watch face - can't do it from the apps screen or within watch apps themselves.

This makes sense when you think about it because the screen real estate is so tiny and they can't really afford to limit that even further by blocking off the top and bottom portions for system-wide gestures. And some apps like the Activity/Fitness app have you swiping up and down to change screens - I would imagine there'd be all sorts of false positives where you try to swipe and accidentally activate notification center or glances they were accessible within apps.

So I understand why it works this way, but it's still awkward at first and will take some getting used to. I hope they figure out a more elegant way of doing it in the future.

Limiting the button on the side to just contacts seem very odd.

I'd much rather have the side button for notifications. What a waste :/

I think you'll find the contact button to be more useful than another notifications screen. What I found most irritating about Android Wear was how much digging it took to send a text or call someone. The voice controls didn't work consistently enough to make it worth trying to text/call in that way, and for a long time that was the only option.

The idea of being able to press a dedicated button, scroll through my contacts and being given a myriad of ways to contact them sounds amazing. It can honestly see it being my most used feature for a while.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just a reminder that this Kickstarter for the Click adapters is a thing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-band-adapter-for-apple-watch?ref=hero_thanks

If it gets over $225K, then everyone gets a stainless steel adapter added to their pledge for no additional cost.

Yeah, these'll be really nice, especially for the black models to have matching lug/link adapters to use any kind of strap.
There's a whole world out there of strap options, from cheap to a king's ransom.
The sport band is probably the only Apple band I'd want to use.

Blackhead

Redarse
I think you'll find the contact button to be more useful than another notifications screen. What I found most irritating about Android Wear was how much digging it took to send a text or call someone. The voice controls didn't work consistently enough to make it worth trying to text/call in that way, and for a long time that was the only option.

The idea of being able to press a dedicated button, scroll through my contacts and being given a myriad of ways to contact them sounds amazing. It can honestly see it being my most used feature for a while.

Um, just use Siri (or Google voice control on Android Wear) to contact the person... The iWatch doesn't have a keyboard, you'll still end up speaking with Siri anyway. The contacts feature doesn't support WhatsApp, Twitter, Snapchat, facebook messenger, slack etc. I really don't think people are suddenly going to switch to sending animated smileys and heartbeats (which require the other person to have an iWatch too) as their main form of communication...

I'd like the option to pick what the button does. I can see why some people would want it to go to contacts and why some would want it to go to notifications. I cant imagine I'll be using the contacts button often since I don't see myself initiating a text conversation with someone via the watch and I'm sure the sketches/heartbeat features are something I'll use for all of about 5 minutes and then never use again.

Terrell

Will this really free up a hand? It's not like people are always using their phones with two hands.

If he's got his phone in his hand for most of the free time in his day, yeah, he'll have 2 available hands more often, thus gaining a free hand for a total of 2.

I was expecting the Milanese loop to feel thick and sturdy like the chain mail a knight wears.

Instead it was kinda like light and flimsy like something a belly dancer might wear.

I'm rather curious how you know what a knight's chain mail and belly dancer garments feel like.

It's a watch strap, comfort and weight are kind of important considerations there, so chain mail on the wrist like you wanted doesn't exactly make the grade.

SuperPac

No. She was in email, the Apple Store employee explained that in each app you can Force Touch to bring up more options (showed her). Then my wife did it in the messages app as well.

Sean

Banned
Limiting the button on the side to just contacts seem very odd.

Double tapping the side button is how you bring up Apple Pay as well.

But I agree, Apple's emphasis on contacts/communication with the Watch is odd, the iPhone is much better suited for that task. I can't see myself having a proper text convo on the watch when it doesn't even have a keyboard and I think the only time I'd use the watch as a phone is while I'm driving. And in both scenarios I would just be replying to someone rather than initiating the conversation, so a button wouldn't be necessary.

Hopefully they allow us to toggle what the side button does in a software update kind like they did with mute/rotation lock on the iPad. Or maybe make double tapping the digital crown bring up notification center. I don't think that does anything yet.

LCfiner

While Apple may be hoping for that digital touch stuff to take off, I think in reality the contacts button will be used most to start phone calls. At least for now.

Text is probably unwieldy on the watch. You can dictate, true, but that requires taps to confirm sending stuf and any decently paced text convo is probably going to be easier on the phone. I think using the watch as an alternative to using a geeky Bluetooth headset or taking the phone out might be more useful.

rezuth

While Apple may be hoping for that digital touch stuff to take off, I think in reality the contacts button will be used most to start phone calls. At least for now.

Text is probably unwieldy on the watch. You can dictate, true, but that requires taps to confirm sending stuf and any decently paced text convo is probably going to be easier on the phone. I think using the watch as an alternative to using a geeky Bluetooth headset or taking the phone out might be more useful.

I don't think you're suppose to do long conversations but its rather if someone asks what you want for dinner or if they should go ahead with something on a project you can just simply reply very fast without having to pull out your phone. As with everything this is not meant to replace anything for the phone but rather to work in tandem and offload certain tasks for easy overview.

Terrell

I'd like the option to pick what the button does. I can see why some people would want it to go to contacts and why some would want it to go to notifications. I cant imagine I'll be using the contacts button often since I don't see myself initiating a text conversation with someone via the watch and I'm sure the sketches/heartbeat features are something I'll use for all of about 5 minutes and then never use again.

I'm sure people who communicate using nothing but emoji will love it, but yeah, I have a feeling the button will become customized as the software gets iterated upon.

rezuth

I really wish they would have launched it in Sweden but I have to wait for it. Really want to try out that Milanese loop.

Blackhead

Redarse

Eh, calling on the watch Dick Tracy style is even more geeky than a Bluetooth headset and more importantly it's more rude because the watch is basically a speaker phone. I can see people starting the call on the watch but they'll quickly transfer it to the phone. I don't think people will be making watch calls except at home alone

Sean

Banned

I don't think talking into your wrist is any less geeky than using a Bluetooth headset to be honest. I don't know if I would ever do that in a public setting personally.

Apple has to figure out a way to get a usable keyboard on this thing sooner or later. Not just for messaging, but not having any type of text entry severely limits app possibilities.

That's what I was worried about. It seem too feminine.

I plan on using the Milanese loop just for dress like occasions. Everywhere else, I'll use the sport band. So if it's a bit 'feminine', no worries here.

It will suck if I hate the Milanese band. I spent like 200 bucks more just to have a watch to fit it. Maybe I should have gone 3rd party knockoff with the Apple Watch Sport instead.

Top Bottom