• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Definitely will check out reviews on the knockoffs. It's just the markup on the apple branded loop is insane. So there's room out there for a company to make a nice profit coming in lower than Apple and they may even have better quality.

Garou

Preordered the 38mm Milanese Loop one but went and tried the watch at the store today because I still was not sure if I shouldn't have gone 42mm.

The watch itself in 38mm is fine and doesn't feel bulky while the 42mm had a bit of bulk, since the watch is a bit fatter than a regular watch.

What shocked me is, that the 38mm Milanese Loop-band is quite small to put on your wrist, since you cannot open the loop, the end will always stay inside the loop. The Apple-employee had a little trouble at first to get the watch on, it was easier when I did it myself.
Ideally I would want the 42mm-Milanese Loop and the 38mm Watch but that's not possible...
I second-guessed my choice of the 38mm-model but I will stick with it for now.

In other tests I found the Sports-watch to be super-light, the Sports-band to be a lot nicer than expected and the Link-Bracelet to be really nice and super-easy to adjust in size.

the black Watch stainless steel is very shiny, not deep black. It's not as impressive as the Apple site photos :(
Looks deep black in every picture taken from Apple Store tryons - the bright white flourescent lighting in the display case makes it look more like gunmetal, but it seems that the actual Space Black SS is a deep black in more regular lighting.

imU7eSs.jpg

FskxTZF.jpg

qSIkXlc.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Interesting. So, mostly likely, users will have to have theirs 5/S out, use TouchID or their PIN, and simultaneously touch their watch to the NFC pad? All while hoping the verification goes smoothly and quickly via Bluetooth?

Honestly sounds like a convoluted mess.

no, your identity is authenticated with biometrics on the watch (as long as you are authenticated with the watch prior to using apple pay.. which you should be)

interesting concept though.. so yeah Apple Pay must happen entirely on the watch.. I am guessing it sends the transaction details back to the phone at least (vendor info, dollar amount, etc)

I use apple pay frequently.. at least half dozen to a dozen times a week. I wonder which will be more convenient.. phone or watch. I like the phone because I never even press, click or tap anything. The watch I don't have to pull out but you still have to double tap the side button.. we'll see. The big advantage to the phone is that on really humid days sometimes touch id has a hard time authenticating me (very rate, but it happens). So I'm wondering if the watch would almost definitely be faster on those days.

Guess Who

Banned
You guys are way overthinking the Apple Pay stuff. Here's how it works:

1) Put Watch on your wrist.
2) Unlock your paired iPhone just once, using Touch ID or passcode. This also unlocks the Watch.
3) For as long as your Watch remains on your wrist, it will now be unlocked and free to use Apple Pay.
4) If you remove the Watch from your wrist, it will lock again.

Locking your iPhone does NOT lock the Watch, as long as the Watch is on your wrist. You can also use a passcode on the Watch itself if you'd prefer, rather than sharing a lock with your iPhone.

The actual card storage and whatnot is done entirely on the Watch, which means it's actually one of the few features that works if you're out of phone range.

Blackhead

Redarse
All About The 18k Gold Apple Watch Edition
ablogtowatch said:
meh

Looks deep black in every picture taken from Apple Store tryons - the bright white flourescent lighting in the display case makes it look more like gunmetal, but it seems that the actual Space Black SS is a deep black in more regular lighting.

http://i.imgur.com/imU7eSs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FskxTZF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qSIkXlc.jpg

Oh, the two stores I checked didnt have it for demo so I've only seen the display. Hype restored

I really like the look of the gold watches. If they weren't so insanely expensive I'd consider getting a gold and black watch.

At most what would you consider paying for the gold model?

Also, does anyone else think apple shot themselves when they didn't make a gold colored model?

Majine

Banned
Shipping times are in June now?

Geez, wonder when they will expand to more countries if they can't handle demand right now.

border

At most what would you consider paying for the gold model?

Also, does anyone else think apple shot themselves when they didn't make a gold colored model?

If they made a gold-colored model then that would ruin the point of the Edition models, which are basically just meant as status symbols for the rich.

I'm sure there will be a cottage industry centered around getting the cheap models to look like the gold Editions. They are already selling shiny gold-colored cases, and I bet repair shops will offer to replace the silver digital crown and button with gold-colored ones.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
It only requires the phone to authenticate once whenever you put the watch on. So it would probably save you a little bit of time, assuming you use Apple Pay multiple times a day that is.

Hmm, but say if you use debit cards, how does it know there's funds to pay for the item?

Hmm, but say if you use debit cards, how does it know there's funds to pay for the item?

It'll work the same way any debit card works. The system will try to process the transaction and if your bank allows it it'll go through. If you don't have money, or you're bank doesn't allow you to overdraft, it'll be declined.

mcfrank

Rose gold is my favorite of the colors, so if it was in the 1-2k range that is what I would get. I am certainly not upset that it costs more though It is apples right to charge whatever the hell they want for it. I wonder if all of the people who complain about the gold watch being a "status symbol" have had issues with gold watches all of their lives or if it is just because it is Apple?

finalflame

No; it just requires that at some point since pairing with the watch you've unlocked the phone once.

No, you only need to wave your Watch at the NFC terminal. Pairing with the iPhone satisfies the trust aspect.
From the Apple Watch's Apple Pay page:

no, your identity is authenticated with biometrics on the watch (as long as you are authenticated with the watch prior to using apple pay.. which you should be)

interesting concept though.. so yeah Apple Pay must happen entirely on the watch.. I am guessing it sends the transaction details back to the phone at least (vendor info, dollar amount, etc)

I use apple pay frequently.. at least half dozen to a dozen times a week. I wonder which will be more convenient.. phone or watch. I like the phone because I never even press, click or tap anything. The watch I don't have to pull out but you still have to double tap the side button.. we'll see. The big advantage to the phone is that on really humid days sometimes touch id has a hard time authenticating me (very rate, but it happens). So I'm wondering if the watch would almost definitely be faster on those days.

Thanks, guys. I think from the sounds of this, Apple Pay on the Watch will work great. Not that taking a card out of a wallet is hard as it is, but it seems like just waving the watch, which is already on your wrist anyways, will be pretty smooth.

LCfiner

I decided to try some on today. My perspective is from someone who’s been into watches for a long time but only able to try higher end watches (Nomos, Omega, Stowa) for the last 5 years.

I tried on:
38mm white sport (they didn’t find a black one)
42mm black sport
42mm milanese loop
42mm leather loop
42mm classic buckle.

First up, I really don’t like the look of the black rubber sport band. I like the black sport case, but the matte finish of the band just turns me off. It feels good, yes, but the look is very cheap when you see the strap on the wrist, imo. I think Gruber is on bath salts thinking this material is acceptable luxury for the 10k watch.

Also, the 38mm model feels very small on my 6.5” wrist. it looks like an old 1950s vintage stowa I had which was 33mm in diameter with small lugs. it looks small.

If there are hands on pictures out there that make the 42mm sport model look too big on smaller wrists like mine, I think it’s because the band is not tightened enough. the rubber doesn’t want to bend in and hug the wrist as much as the other straps (it’s stiffer at the case junction) so it bows out and makes the watch look bigger in some pictures than it is.

The leather loop was very comfortable but the feel of the leather was oddly plastic-y and stiff. On one hand, it gives some confidence it won’t fall apart fast, but it’s not a soft feeling leather at all. I didn’t really like this one

milanese loop is very, very thin and feels like fabric, not steel. it’s not a typical, large shark tooth mesh that you get with some dive watches. it’s much more fine and vintage feeling and, dare I say, feminine. One thing that I don’t like about watch straps is when they do not taper along their width - it makes them feel too wide. the milanese loop is straight all along it’s length so it looks very wide along the bottom of the wrist. I doubt many will care but I would have preferred a 2mm taper like with most other bracelets and straps.

the classic buckle was actually my favourite. simple, clean look with some nice details on the buckle. tapered strap. Leather felt sturdy and flexible, but not as luxurious as some more supple leather straps I’ve worn. I liked the feel more than the leather loop. I think if i had to pick one model, it’d be the basic classic buckle.

I did not try the modern buckle because it only comes with the 38mm watch and that model is just way too tiny for my taste. I also did not try the link bracelet as it’s very expensive and I wouldn’t be able to get a sense for fit as they don’t let you take out any links.

Guess Who

Banned
The leather loop was very comfortable but the feel of the leather was oddly plastic-y and stiff. On one hand, it gives some confidence it won’t fall apart fast, but it’s not a soft feeling leather at all. I didn’t really like this one

I'm pretty sure it's this way because each little section is stuffed with a magnet, unfortunately.

Phreaker

Also, the 38mm model feels very small on my 6.5” wrist. it looks like an old 1950s vintage stowa I had which was 33mm in diameter with small lugs. it looks small.

If there are hands on pictures out there that make the 42mm sport model look too big on smaller wrists like mine, I think it’s because the band is not tightened enough. the rubber doesn’t want to bend in and hug the wrist as much as the other straps (it’s stiffer at the case junction) so it bows out and makes the watch look bigger in some pictures than it is.

Great. Mine are just over 6.5" and I ordered a 42mm. I agree with what you've said about the band too. In all the pictures I see of the 42mm using a different band it looks less tall than the sport band because the sport band wasn't coming straight down on the wrist like the other bands did.

border

I wanted to talk about this in the thread, but I thought I would sound like a crazy person. The watch really does look bigger in photographs! When the 42mm model is on your wrist it looks and feels fine. But in photographs it looks ridiculously bulbous and clunky. I was totally set on the 42mm model when I was in the store, but when I go back to the photos I took it looks like I'm wearing a walkie-talkie on my wrist!

I don't know if it's just some kind of weird optical illusion or what, or perhaps it's the way the black finish contrasts against the skin. I'm not sure if the silver model has the same issue since I only took pictures with 38mm silver models.

Majine

Banned
Can Siri on the watch do things that includes apps that aren't on the watch? For example, dictate a reminder even tho the watch has no reminders app yet.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
It'll work the same way any debit card works. The system will try to process the transaction and if your bank allows it it'll go through. If you don't have money, or you're bank doesn't allow you to overdraft, it'll be declined.

Of course. The whiskey must have hit me hard!

jts

...hate me...
Uh oh, did your freight forwarded order get canceled?
Damn, that was good.

Exactly that. Checked the website and the order was cancelled. I didn't get an email about it.

I will try to call them tomorrow morning, hoping it's okay to talk in english. That Macrumours thread gives me some hope, seeing how some people got their orders sorted and reinstated.

There's also a small chance it was cancelled because I cancelled AppleCare+, I guess? I dunno.

I'll wait and see and accept whatever outcome. But I'm a bit bummed out.

Draper

You think the weight difference between the SS and the Al-loo-min-knee-umm gives a serious advantage to the latter in regards to excercise?

You think the weight difference between the SS and the Al-loo-min-knee-umm gives a serious advantage to the latter in regards to excercise?

The SS version felt really light to me, with the right band on it I don't think you'll be able to notice the difference at all. You may have to worry about scratching the metal on the fancier versions though.

I already had a 38mm White Sport pre-ordered but I just got the 42mm ordered too. I keep feeling worried that the 38mm will look too small on my wrist. It felt better on my wrist than the 42 in the shop, but they didn't have a 42 with the small band, so I am going to try and test the smaller band with the 42 to check if it would give a good fit. I am also planning on getting a black band too.

Does anybody know how the apple pay works on the watch. Because I was thinking that if the watch is a loose fit, the sensors might occasional break contact with the skin, I am worried in case I would have to enter the pin number every time.

Does anybody know how the apple pay works on the watch. Because I was thinking that if the watch is a loose fit, the sensors might occasional break contact with the skin, I am worried in case I would have to enter the pin number every time.

It detects when the Watch has been removed and locks Apple Pay until you put it back on (and asks for the PIN again).

Now either it is super sensitive (as soon as contact is broken) or it uses some of the other sensors to check.

Just found this from a review:

Mashable said:
Apple Watch includes wrist detection, and Apple Pay won’t work if the watch isn’t on your wrist. If the watch is on your wrist, it’ll automatically unlock if your phone is nearby. If not, you’ll have to enter your preset PIN.

Apple Customer Service is the best.

They had cancelled 2 out of 3 orders as I didn't know the limit was 2 per person. But they cancelled 2 out of 3 of my orders which was wtf as opposed to just cancelling 1.

I didn't find out until the next morning and if I tried to place my orders again, they weren't going to ship until June.

I called and questioned as it wasn't stated on their site on launch night and the emails they sent me for the cancellations were due to 'freight forwarding' and not due to over ordering.

The first lady said she couldn't do anything. They transferred met to a supervisor who gave me her contact info and said she would upgrade it to the higher ups.

Today I contacted them to see if there was any update and they had reinstated my order with the original ship date and she said she would keep an eye on it to make sure it got shipped early.

Awesome stuff.

riotous

Banned
ApplePay with the wrist skin-detection stuff just seems weird to me.

It's just detecting that it is continuously being worn. It's a security measure not some "skin detection" technology. It's just making the assumption that it's not a stolen watch; once you take it off that assumption is lost.

Phreaker

ApplePay with the wrist skin-detection stuff just seems weird to me.

Really? I think it's a brilliant idea. If your watch is synced to your phone and you have it on, once you use touch ID on the phone it's set on your watch, until you take the watch off. If I am understanding how it works correctly.

HUELEN10

Just got outta my sizing appointment...

The best fit for me is small fit sports band with 42 MM watch, but it is still less than optimal. Damn my small wrists.

:(

border

eBay update:

Aluminum Black Sport 42mm - $660 + $50 shipping
Aluminum Black Sport 42mm - $760 + 16 shipping
Aluminum Black Sport 42mm - $810 + $46 shipping

Aluminum Black Sport 38mm - $725
Aluminum Black Sport 38mm - $629 + $50 shipping
Aluminum Black Sport 38mm - $630 + $10 shipping
Aluminum Black Sport 38mm - $644

Prices are pretty insane - I assume that the black models are commanding a premium price since they sold through so fast.

I ordered 2 watches just because I wasn't sure what size I wanted. I was planning on just selling or returning the extra one. I think I'm going to have a hard time not being tempted to just sell them both, take a tidy $400-500 profit and buy my watch in June/July.

HUELEN10

Just get whatever size you want and worry about finding an optimal 3rd party band later on.
Band alone isn't the problem, it's also wrist shape.

Tried Milenese Loop as it kinda goes out a bit like a band adapter would, even at 38mm it would be way, way too loose.

My wrist is fucking smaller than the base of an Amiibo!

What shocked me is, that the 38mm Milanese Loop-band is quite small to put on your wrist, since you cannot open the loop, the end will always stay inside the loop. The Apple-employee had a little trouble at first to get the watch on, it was easier when I did it myself.

That surprised me as well. I couldn't even get the 38mm Loop over my hand. I'm glad I didn't preorder that one because I'd be stuck with a watch I can't even put on. Rather disappointing though, as the 42mm looks too big on my wrist, which means the Milanese Loop is not an option for me.

First up, I really don’t like the look of the black rubber sport band. I like the black sport case, but the matte finish of the band just turns me off. It feels good, yes, but the look is very cheap when you see the strap on the wrist, imo. I think Gruber is on bath salts thinking this material is acceptable luxury for the 10k watch.

[...]

milanese loop is very, very thin and feels like fabric, not steel. it’s not a typical, large shark tooth mesh that you get with some dive watches. it’s much more fine and vintage feeling and, dare I say, feminine.

First, I agree and disagree with you about the fluoroelastomer band: Gruber is wrong; it does does not look luxury and is a weird pairing with the gold Watch. But it has a nice feel, and it definitely does not look cheap. Cheap is a Casio calculator watch rubber band.

Yes, the Milanese loop does look a bit like fabric from a distance, and it's comfortable to wear. But your comment about it looking feminine is just...what. If anything it's gender-neutral, just as the Watch itself is. I keep seeing this kind of comment over and over, and bout the Loop, about the 38mm version. The hyper-masculinity in society has gotten to the point where if your watch isn't the size of a measuring tape and doesn't have bolts and chainmail, then it must be a girl's watch and you should be afraid of wearing it in public because someone might question your masculinity.

Apple's Milanese loop would look right at home on Cary Grant's or Frank Sinatra's wrist in the '50s. What you're trying to really describe about the Loop is that it is elegant.

Top Bottom