• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Terrell

Depends. If it uses BT 4 low power protocol probably not that much. Can't imagine it doesn't as protocol 3 is quite power consuming.

This is probably part of the reason why it's limited to iPhone 5 or higher, since Bluetooth 4 didn't start getting put into iPhones until then.

My problem's less that I need to wait than how I don't want an Apple employee hovering over me while I play with the thing.

So you want to be able to walk in, put expensive technology on your person completely unattended? Just have a whole bunch of watches laying on a table? While we're at it, they should untether their iPhone demos from the tables.
Because the alternative is to have the watch tethered to something, which equally hampers the experience.

Pebble is sold at Best Buy and has moved over a million units. It's not just a techie device.

Apple Watch likely already eclipsed that in pre-orders.

You underestimate how many tech nerds there are, 1 million is nothing. I have never ever seen a smartwatch on someone who could be described as a "non-techie" person. And the sales of the entire smartwatch category up until this point really back that up. It's not a mainstream device category. Or it wasn't, anyways. Things will definitely change now.

It's a complimentary device right now, but I don't expect that to be the case after a few hardware (and software) revisions. Why wouldn't Apple want to sell it to everyone who's interested in a watch rather than just existing iPhone owners? Even though there's admittedly a ton of iPhone users out there, that requirement still severely limits the sales potential of Apple Watch. Instantly eliminates hundreds of millions of potential customers.

There is no consumer electronics product that is sellable to everyone. Every product has a defined market, either through marketing, disposable income available to certain regions of the world, etc.
Limiting your market is not inherently a bad thing. It gives you realistic and focused targets.

Let's look at the iPhone as an example. For the first several years of its life, it was targeted as a consumer device. Enterprise consumers were not considered and the phone was exceptionally limited in what it could provide to the enterprise consumer. They intentionally limited their market.
It wasn't until RIM shit the bed with Blackberry that Apple started capitalizing on that market, but they did so very slowly, because it was never part of the iPhone's original target market and other hardware makers could easily steal that spotlight by making it their primary focus. Even today, they're not exactly on the same level as Blackberry was in that market space, and Apple doesn't seem to be shedding many tears about it, because their focus on the standard personal-use consumer has completely paid off.

Let's also look at current Android users. A large sum of them look at Apple products as overhyped and something you pay an unnecessary premium, or "Apple tax", for. Whether or not you agree with that, it is a strongly-held perception. What about the Apple Watch makes that perception go away? If anything, they look at $200 Android Wear devices and feel it only re-enforces it. That's not a market worth tackling in its current state. They're specifically aiming this product at people who have already overcome the "Apple tax" perception. It's a clear market target. All Apple Watch will instill in Android users is interest in the smartwatch category as a whole, but they'll make their purchase in that category along the same lines as they did with their phone, plain and simple. The iPhone is still the more compelling introduction to Apple products, without question.

Obviously they're not attempting to completely replace smartphones and computers, allowing basic text entry on the watch isn't exactly eliminating the need for those devices. I say give people options and let them decide what device they prefer to use. Apple allows you to read entire iBooks on your phone despite the iPad's larger screen being more ideal for that task. There's a bunch of Apple productivity apps (Keynote, Pages, Numbers, GarageBand, iMovie, etc) that were ported to iPhones despite being much better suited to desktop computers. They ported the Photos app to the Watch despite the tiny postage stamp sized screen being one of the worst possible ways to browse your photo library. But hey, it's still nice to have that option. Keyboard would be no different imo, even if it's used as an absolute last resort it'd be nice to have one.

There's a few key differences here:

Using iBooks, Pages, Numbers, etc. as examples is a bit disingenuous. Those apps appeared when a device with a large enough screen to utilize them was made that happened to have the same OS as the phone. Had the iPad not been made, those apps would not exist. Period. iPhone equivalents were essentially throwaway added bonuses for what the target market was, iPad users.

For iBooks in particular, iPad is preferable, but your ability to actually read a book on your phone isn't hampered. You're not reading a book word by word or paragraph by paragraph, for instance. A keyboard will only happen on an Apple Watch if the ability to type isn't severely hampered by the experience, but the physical hardware limits of the small screen make the experience all but assured to be hamstrung. The example of Microsoft Band is a good example. Yes, it's there, but it's so not ideal that it becomes a novelty, a box to tick. The Photos app on Apple Watch is definitely not ideal, but the experience isn't reduced usability-wise. You still get to see the whole photo, it's just... really small. And it's not even the full app, as there's no editing tools. But by your logic, I should expect those tools to be there, even if they'd be near-impossible to use, because options are apparently more important than actual usability.

Lastly, comparing apps to an input function isn't even closely analogous. It's not even comparing apples and oranges, it's comparing apples to water.

One of the biggest selling points of the watch is that you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket to see notifications and respond to texts etc. Being able to respond with more than just a pre-canned message or the often unreliable dictation would be a nice middle ground option.

The big selling point isn't that you never have to use your phone, though. There is an expectation that, in certain scenarios, you will still want to or have to reach for it. It's just taking the micro-uses out of play.

I don't think that's necessarily true. It's not hard to believe that someone would be interested in the Apple Watch yet perfectly happy with their current smartphone. Just like the vast majority of iPod and iPhone customers never switched to Macs.

The Apple Watch can be a device that works better with an iPhone, sure, but it shouldn't require one to function. If they keep that mindset I believe that Android Wear will smoke them. It'll be a repeat of the early iPhone years where being exclusive to a single carrier hampered their sales potential and allowed Android to gain major momentum.

Computers are refreshed every 3-5 years. iPhone has been on the market for, what, 7 or 8? And during the past 2-3 years (or 4-5 years since the iPhone's first release), who is the only computer manufacturer to see growth in the computer sales market during that time and has consistently grown year over year since the release of the iPod nano? I'll let you take a wild guess.

In spite of that statement, though, you've compared against an unprovable metric. I mean, there's no way to prove that Mac sales growth is correlation with causation due to iPod and iPhone, but there's no method to disprove it, either. Although, just for kicks, Wall Street Journal definitely disagrees with your statement, even quoting Phil Schiller who states that the majority of first-time Mac purchasers already own an iPhone.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/apples-second-best-seller-mac-1414428004

I don't think that Apple is terribly concerned about their overall market share with the Apple Watch like you seem to.

iWatch can send Siri/ApplePay/TouchID requests to an Android Phone if they set up those services on the Android Phone. iWatch can use Apple Maps with a GPS location from an Android Phone. Because Android is open that way.

Apple Pay requires secure storage of your credit card details on a separate piece of silicon. So no, Apple Pay requests won't do shit. It's locked to Apple without the hardware present on an Android device to support it.

Rose gold is my favorite of the colors, so if it was in the 1-2k range that is what I would get. I am certainly not upset that it costs more though It is apples right to charge whatever the hell they want for it. I wonder if all of the people who complain about the gold watch being a "status symbol" have had issues with gold watches all of their lives or if it is just because it is Apple?

It's because tech geeks don't generally like it when a product they want is too expensive for them to afford. See: "Apple Tax" trolling.

Yes, the Milanese loop does look a bit like fabric from a distance, and it's comfortable to wear. But your comment about it looking feminine is just...what. If anything it's gender-neutral, just as the Watch itself is. I keep seeing this kind of comment over and over, and bout the Loop, about the 38mm version. The hyper-masculinity in society has gotten to the point where if your watch isn't the size of a measuring tape and doesn't have bolts and chainmail, then it must be a girl's watch and you should be afraid of wearing it in public because someone might question your masculinity.

Apple's Milanese loop would look right at home on Cary Grant's or Frank Sinatra's wrist in the '50s. What you're trying to really describe about the Loop is that it is elegant.

THANK YOU.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I agree with the general point that apple watch shouldn't be tied to iPhone only. Apple are ignoring 50%+ of the market by ignoring android. Yes I'm sure they want to tempt people to witch to iPhone, but if people don't actually get to use the watch, they won't know if they want it. Surely better to get apple tech on people's wrists, then they may be more swayed to switch to an iPhone later on, due to how great the build quality or user experience with the watch is?

It does look nicer than android wear watches, but I don't see it being so much better that it would get a meaningful number of people to switch. And assuming it has the usual insane apple margins, why not address 100% of the smartphone market rather than 50%?

Cloudy

Banned
I agree with the general point that apple watch shouldn't be tied to iPhone only. Apple are ignoring 50%+ of the market by ignoring android. Yes I'm sure they want to tempt people to witch to iPhone, but if people don't actually get to use the watch, they won't know if they want it. Surely better to get apple tech on people's wrists, then they may be more swayed to switch to an iPhone later on, due to how great the build quality or user experience with the watch is?

It does look nicer than android wear watches, but I don't see it being so much better that it would get a meaningful number of people to switch. And assuming it has the usual insane apple margins, why not address 100% of the smartphone market rather than 50%?

iPhone is their biggest business. Why would they take away an incentive to buy one with their own product?

Cloudy

Banned
So I tried several on today and I can report the optical illusion of the 42mm in pics. It looked perfect on my wrist but a close-up picture made it look big. 38 is way too small if you've ever worn a 42mm watch

PS: the more expensive bands aren't bad but they aren't worth the premium at all IMO. Best bet is to go sport band and wait for 3rd parties if you can

Phreaker

First, I agree and disagree with you about the fluoroelastomer band: Gruber is wrong; it does does not look luxury and is a weird pairing with the gold Watch. But it has a nice feel, and it definitely does not look cheap. Cheap is a Casio calculator watch rubber band.

Maybe it would look better with the black band? The rose gole/black color combo looks pretty nice on the new $20k Gold Rolex.

"Rolex is introducing a new black and 18 ct Everose gold version of its nautical Oyster Perpetual Yacht-Master, fitted exclusively with the innovative Oysterflex bracelet developed and patented by Rolex. This technical bracelet combines in a singular way the robustness and reliability of a metal bracelet with the flexibility, comfort and aesthetics of an elastomer strap."

tumblr_inline_nlr6d9y47O1qaeiwn_500.jpg

Guess Who

Banned
Making the Watch an iPhone-exclusive isn't about getting other phone users to switch, it's about locking in existing iPhone users. Much harder to convince yourself to switch to another brand if you know that your $500+ Watch is going to be worthless to you when you do.

This is the entire design of their ecosystem. Make all their stuff integrate together so that it's attractive to buy their own products to complement each other and a giant pain in the ass to switch to a competing product.

Blackhead

Redarse
Apple Watch likely already eclipsed that in pre-orders.

You underestimate how many tech nerds there are, 1 million is nothing. I have never ever seen a smartwatch on someone who could be described as a "non-techie" person. And the sales of the entire smartwatch category up until this point really back that up. It's not a mainstream device category. Or it wasn't, anyways. Things will definitely change now.
You think the Apple Watch already sold a million?! Keep in mind:
There were no preorders for the iPhone.
There were preorders for the iPad but Apple didn't announce any preorder figures (leading to silly analysis/speculation like 152,000 iPads pre-orders this weekend; 1m by mid-April?)
What Apple did announce was first day sales numbers (which included preorders for the iPad numbers)
First-day iPad sales top first-gen iPhone
Apple today said it sold more iPads on Saturday than it sold first-generation iPhones in 2007 over a two-day period.

The 300,000 number that Apple touted included deliveries of pre-ordered iPads, sales at Apple's retail stores and shipments to its partners, the company said. The only other retail outlet selling iPads on Saturday was Best Buy.

In 2007, Apple reported selling 270,000 iPhones during the new smartphone's first two days of availability.
keep in mind that Apple is launching the iWatch in more markets than usual

Apple Pay requires secure storage of your credit card details on a separate piece of silicon. So no, Apple Pay requests won't do shit. It's locked to Apple without the hardware present on an Android device to support it
Android devices have secure elements. You can even put a secure element on a sim card. If Apple had the will, they would find a way

Yes, the Milanese loop does look a bit like fabric from a distance, and it's comfortable to wear. But your comment about it looking feminine is just...what. If anything it's gender-neutral, just as the Watch itself is. I keep seeing this kind of comment over and over, and bout the Loop, about the 38mm version. The hyper-masculinity in society has gotten to the point where if your watch isn't the size of a measuring tape and doesn't have bolts and chainmail, then it must be a girl's watch and you should be afraid of wearing it in public because someone might question your masculinity.

Apple's Milanese loop would look right at home on Cary Grant's or Frank Sinatra's wrist in the '50s. What you're trying to really describe about the Loop is that it is elegant.
THANK YOU.
That picture is misleading:
First it shows the watchface on whereas most people who observing a man wearing it will see the screen off.
Next, the angle of the photo doesn't show how thick the watch is. The Apple milanese loop is very thin and seems tiny compared to the thickness of the watch.
Third, the loop is very shiny.

combine all three and the Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop is the Apple Watch that looks most like 'jewelry' on the wrist. Jewelry is unfortunately associated with femininity

Let's also look at current Android users. A large sum of them look at Apple products as overhyped and something you pay an unnecessary premium, or "Apple tax", for. Whether or not you agree with that, it is a strongly-held perception...
You're confusing the minority of loud android users on forums (including this one) for the majority of the market. Every android geek on the internet trumpets the Nexus line but Samsung Galaxies and Notes which are often twice as expensive (sometimes even more expensive than the iPhone) greatly outsells the Nexus devices. Android sells to everyone, rich and poor. The rich Android users aren't thinking about an Apple Tax when paying for their Notes.

Rose gold is my favorite of the colors, so if it was in the 1-2k range that is what I would get. I am certainly not upset that it costs more though It is apples right to charge whatever the hell they want for it. I wonder if all of the people who complain about the gold watch being a "status symbol" have had issues with gold watches all of their lives or if it is just because it is Apple?
It's because tech geeks don't generally like it when a product they want is too expensive for them to afford. See: "Apple Tax" trolling.
Rich Apple geeks like Marco Arment don't like the Apple Watch Edition and it has nothing to do with "Apple Tax" trolling. Rich Watch geeks (see the comments by fans and owners of Rolex watches, Omega watches etc on those watch blogs) don't like the Apple Watch Edition and it has nothing to do with "Apple Tax" trolling. They don't like Apple Watch Edition because it is gold covered electronics that adds nothing to the functionality device. Every Apple pundit previously mocked Monster gold cables, Vertu gold phones before the Apple Watch Edition but now... *shrug*

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
iPhone is their biggest business. Why would they take away an incentive to buy one with their own product?

/endOfDebate

iphone6/Plus is the best selling iPhone ever, and was the best selling smartphone last year. I get those feeling "what if android users could use Apple Watch?!?" but it's still Apple's bread and butter and you don't give people an open reason to leave it.

Also remember that the phone market is not as black and white as "android and apple". There is no "android", at least not in the 1v1 sense. For instance apple sees its main competitor as Samsung for mobile phones, not "Android". Similarly Apple sees TOTAL mobile revenue and their percentage of it as their goal/KPI, not "apple dev vs. android dev". i.e. Amazon, MS, Nintendo, etc.

Android vs. Apple is largely a fanboy forum thing.. In reality there are multiple aspects to mobile technology and Apple's goals and competition really changes a bit depending on which aspect you are talking about.

For Apple Watch I have no doubt that Apple is keeping tabs on Pebble and the various Wear devices.. but I also have no doubt that Apple isn't really looking to steal users away from those (maybe Pebble eventually.. but definitely not at this stage). Apple Watch is basically the most expensive accessory made for iPhone so far.. and I have no question in my mind that's how Apple is looking at it right now.. probably with the potential to possibly grow into it's own line as well.

Android devices have secure elements. You can even put a secure element on a sim card. If Apple had the will, they would find a way

right, except the way it's looking like Apple Pay works on the Watch is using the Watch's secure element and then just sending the transaction data back to the phone. So in theory it could work like it does on iPhone 6/Plus, EXCEPT one huge problem. On Apple's devices Apple has an ironclad guarantee that none of the transaction info will leave either device. By opening it up to Android (and the ever spying Google) not only does Apple lose that guarantee... but I mean c'mon... you can probably count on one or maybe two hands the number of pieces of info that Google keeps TRULY private and out of everyone else's reach (including Google's)

borghe

I don't know about that. Where do you live bro?

absolutely.. if my plan ever takes off to start dressing business traditional (40s or 50s standard office attire) I would go with the milanese loop or steel link bracelet in a second.

Blackhead

Redarse
right, except the way it's looking like Apple Pay works on the Watch is using the Watch's secure element and then just sending the transaction data back to the phone. So in theory it could work like it does on iPhone 6/Plus, EXCEPT one huge problem. On Apple's devices Apple has an ironclad guarantee that none of the transaction info will leave either device. By opening it up to Android (and the ever spying Google) not only does Apple lose that guarantee... but I mean c'mon... you can probably count on one or maybe two hands the number of pieces of info that Google keeps TRULY private and out of everyone else's reach (including Google's)
I..... um.... are you really that paranoid?
I don't know about that. Where do you live bro?
I live in the North America. Read this recent submarine article in the New York Times: Jewelry for Men Is Back in Vogue

eBay update:

Aluminum Black Sport 42mm - $660 + $50 shipping
Aluminum Black Sport 42mm - $760 + 16 shipping
Aluminum Black Sport 42mm - $810 + $46 shipping

Aluminum Black Sport 38mm - $725
Aluminum Black Sport 38mm - $629 + $50 shipping
Aluminum Black Sport 38mm - $630 + $10 shipping
Aluminum Black Sport 38mm - $644

Prices are pretty insane - I assume that the black models are commanding a premium price since they sold through so fast.

I ordered 2 watches just because I wasn't sure what size I wanted. I was planning on just selling or returning the extra one. I think I'm going to have a hard time not being tempted to just sell them both, take a tidy $400-500 profit and buy my watch in June/July.

This is making it hard to justify keeping my launch day watch

btrboyev

eBay update:

Aluminum Black Sport 42mm - $660 + $50 shipping
Aluminum Black Sport 42mm - $760 + 16 shipping
Aluminum Black Sport 42mm - $810 + $46 shipping

Aluminum Black Sport 38mm - $725
Aluminum Black Sport 38mm - $629 + $50 shipping
Aluminum Black Sport 38mm - $630 + $10 shipping
Aluminum Black Sport 38mm - $644

Prices are pretty insane - I assume that the black models are commanding a premium price since they sold through so fast.

I ordered 2 watches just because I wasn't sure what size I wanted. I was planning on just selling or returning the extra one. I think I'm going to have a hard time not being tempted to just sell them both, take a tidy $400-500 profit and buy my watch in June/July.

America.

borghe

I..... um.... are you really that paranoid?

which? about my financial information being shared off of my phone? of course I am. you aren't?

or about google sharing all of your info.. in which case I have to ask if you are trying to actually say that they don't already? You only need to search google news for "google privacy" to come up with dozens of current stories of lawsuits and such for google breaching privacy laws and/or concerns around the world. Not paranoia as much as documented fact..

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Out of curiosity have there been any gold link bands announced by third parties for use with the Editions?

Not off the top of my head. I asked why the Edition isn't available with gold link bands, and the rep suggested that cost was the reason.

Yeah, take that as you will.

borghe

Not off the top of my head. I asked why the Edition isn't available with gold link bands, and the rep suggested that cost was the reason.

well, assuming a 50g band at 18kt, you're looking at probably around $1500 worth of materials before margin. throw a standard 100% margin on there and we're probably talking a $3K band.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I can't imagine the markup Apple would have put on it.
The $17k Edition alone nears the cost of many luxury solid gold watches (case and bracelet) together.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
well, assuming a 50g band at 18kt, you're looking at probably around $1500 worth of materials before margin. throw a standard 100% margin on there and we're probably talking a $3K band.

They were already at 17K top end though, would anyone have blinked if there was a 20k edition with a gold link bracelet?

EDIT: snark
saving something for rev2, and only comes with a watch so you can only get the 3k gold band buy buying the 17k watch again.
/snark

some estimates:

Apple received almost one million US watch pre-orders on Friday, April 10, its first day of accepting orders, according to Slice’s projections, based on receipts from 9,080 online shoppers.
Almost two-thirds of pre-orders were for the less expensive, aluminum Sport line, which starts at $349. About one-third of pre-orders were for the stainless-steel Apple Watch collection, which starts at $549. The gold “Edition” series, which starts at $10,000, didn’t represent enough US pre-orders to show up in Slice’s report.
The average selling price per watch was about $504. The average order was for 1.3 watches.
The most popular color is Apple’s “space gray” aluminum case—40% of pre-orders—followed by stainless steel (34%), silver aluminum (23%), and “space black” steel (3%).
The black sport band was the most popular band among all buyers, representing almost half of all orders.

Some 71% of pre-orders were for the larger, 42mm watch size.
Among Apple Watch pre-order customers tracked by Slice, 72% had previously ordered an Apple product in the past two years.
Apple also started selling its new MacBook laptop on April 10. Some 43% of those ordering a MacBook also bought an Apple Watch, according to Slice.

To be sure, this is a projection based on one company’s data. (Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment on its accuracy.) And this only reflects US pre-orders. It’s entirely possible—if not likely—that order profiles were different in other countries.

http://qz.com/381791/apple-watch-pr...its-first-day-a-shopping-data-firm-estimates/

aparisi2274

So I went to my local Apple store today to check out the watch and while I think it is the sexiest piece of wearable tech I have seen to date, I still can not rationalize why I need to own one (ed note, I am not a watch person)....

16920340797_3f2c5e0416_c.jpg

I tried on the Apple Watch Sport and the Standard Watch, here are some impressions.

Watch Sport:

+ Light Weight
+ solid design
+ responsive touch controls

- the band. The material it is made from is not as flexible as the other bands, and it feels like those old plastic goof watches you'd get at a fair or in a machine.

- No customizability. There are some gorgeous bands available for the watch, but you can not select from a majority of them for the sport version. Since the sport version is the space gray frame, and most bands have a stainless steel connector, the watch would look ugly, and the mixing of metals is not good for your skin.

Apple Watch:

+ Sturdy design
+ Solid weight (did not feel like a cheap watch)
+ Variety of bands to choose from

- Price

Here are some overall thoughts on my time with the actual UI of the device..

+ super responsive
+ Force touch works well
+ very clean layout. My fat digits did not once press on an app that I did not mean to press.
+ Customization of the clock faces is extremely rich

- some apps took a few seconds to load (guess its the 1gen processor chip)
- Still need your phone to do some tasks (ie. reply to e-mail, take a photo, set directions on google maps/apple maps)
- The crown always facing your knuckles. This I am not sure about, so someone please correct me if I have this wrong... but if you wear it on the left hand, the crown is in the upper right corner, but if you wear it on the right hand (and this is where I am not sure, going off store employee), the crown has to be on the lower left, because you need to have easy access to it with the left hand. (See photo above.)

During my time with the watch, I was able to try on a variety of band models:

Sport Band
Classic Buckle
Milanese Loop
Modern Buckle
Leather Loop

Out of the above bands, my absolute favorite was the Leather Loop. It was extremely comfortable, had a nice cushion to it, and it was a cinch to get on and off my wrist. My second favorite was the classic buckle, followed by the Modern Buckle, then the Sport Band and last was the Milanese Loop, which was not a bad band per se, but just gawdy as fuck and something I would not want to see on my wrist, let alone someone else's.

All in All it is a nice piece of tech, and one I might consider getting sometime down the road, maybe 2nd or 3rd gen, but right now, it is pass.

I also, took a quick video of the UI, if anyone would like to take a look. Sorry for the incorrect aspect ratio, I was in a hurry.

Apple Watch UI Demo

I bet that platinum looks hot. Rumor is Apple was considering a platinum version of the Watch on first release but held off until the 2nd gen. Probably $20k+ if it happens.

I think the problem with a platinum watch is that it wouldn't be easy to tell the difference between the stainless steel version.

Majine

Banned
Wonder how they will get the thickness down in future generation while keeping the crown as big and easy to manage as it seems to be now.

Wonder how they will get the thickness down in future generation while keeping the crown as big and easy to manage as it seems to be now.

From what I've seen most people end up sliding their finger over the crown to twist it instead of grabbing it with a finger and a thumb so I don't think a slimmer watch would make that any more difficult.

Majine

Banned
Every traditional watch has a crown and they don't seem to have this problem, most of them are a fair bit thinner than the Apple Watch too.

Sure, I guess but one would argue no other watches uses their crown in the same manners or frequency as the Apple Watch.

But I'm sure it'll work itself out.

LCfiner

If they make the watch thinner, they can reduce the diameter of the crown do it won't rub against skin when scrolling. Since it's a finger swipe interaction and not a thumb pinch, diameter isn't as important, imo

Terrell

All this talk of platinum has me thinking that future models will probably have metal changes, as well. I'd almost consider that they swap out aluminum for titanium, since it's a cheaper metal by comparison to others that's closely the same weight, and tungsten in lieu of stainless steel. With the popularity of the space grey watch, they might go with tungsten since it's easy to change its colouring to black with PVD techniques, and it would be essentially as scratch-resistant as the sapphire screen, so there wouldn't have to necessarily be only one space black watch option.

I dunno, though, just something to consider.

You think the Apple Watch already sold a million?! Keep in mind:
Yes, I do. And it seems that I'm right to be certain of that.

The source, but I'm still not sure how they get this info?

http://intelligence.slice.com/first-apple-watch-data-one-just-isnt-enough/

Estimates show that they almost hit that mark in a single country. It launched in, what, 5 of them? And 2 of them are the most populous countries in the world.

Yeah, they took over 1 million pre-orders in the first day. Hands down.

(for the record, dallow, they gather the data through anonymized electronic receipts collected from shoppers who agree to supply that data to them; their current count is 2 million users to aggregate purchase data from)

combine all three and the Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop is the Apple Watch that looks most like 'jewelry' on the wrist. Jewelry is unfortunately associated with femininity

By idiots, perhaps.

You're confusing the minority of loud android users on forums (including this one) for the majority of the market. Every android geek on the internet trumpets the Nexus line but Samsung Galaxies and Notes which are often twice as expensive (sometimes even more expensive than the iPhone) greatly outsells the Nexus devices. Android sells to everyone, rich and poor. The rich Android users aren't thinking about an Apple Tax when paying for their Notes.

Galaxy S6 64GB with 5.1" screen - CAD $839
iPhone 6 64GB with 4.7" screen - CAD $949

Galaxy S5 16GB with 5.1" screen - CAD $699
iPhone 5S 16GB with 4" screen - CAD $719

I'm sorry, come again?

And like I said, you can disagree with it all you want, but even at $110 difference, the perception is there, and no, it's not "just an internet thing". People might not shout it from the rafters like they do on the internet, but yeah, the general population consensus from people who don't own iPhones is that you're paying a premium, they just don't give it a glib name. The only disagreement seems to be whether or not you get more value out of that premium price.

Rich Apple geeks like Marco Arment don't like the Apple Watch Edition and it has nothing to do with "Apple Tax" trolling.
I was saying that they're similar phenomena based on the same principles. If a person on the internet can't afford it, their first instinct is to get butthurt and ridicule it, especially if it was something they wanted.
And throwing out less than a handful of names of "rich Apple geeks" doesn't change that the majority of the ire towards it is from people who can't afford it. Because there's a shit-ton more of those.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say look at the evolution of the iPod's wheel, not that the crown will follow the same path but that it can evolve. It underwent a ton of changes but still kept its essence.

I wouldn't be surprised if the crown is eventually replaced by a capacitive screen edge, so outside the screen but still on the black glass of the watch. Maybe a capacitive crown that doesn't avtuall turn but feels like it does from haptics.

Blackhead

Redarse
Yes, I do. And it seems that I'm right to be certain of that.

Estimates show that they almost hit that mark in a single country. It launched in, what, 5 of them? And 2 of them are the most populous countries in the world.

Yeah, they took over 1 million pre-orders in the first day. Hands down.

(for the record, dallow, they gather the data through anonymized electronic receipts collected from shoppers who agree to supply that data to them; their current count is 2 million users to aggregate purchase data from)
I had hoped that by including a link to "silly analysis/speculation like 152,000 iPads pre-orders this weekend; 1m by mid-April?" of the 2010 we could avoid repeating history of inaccurate predictions but if you want to go with the order sequence guesstimate *shrug*

By idiots, perhaps.
I don't make the fashion rules and Apple's the one who decided to play by them

Galaxy S6 64GB with 5.1" screen - CAD $839
iPhone 6 64GB with 4.7" screen - CAD $949

Galaxy S5 16GB with 5.1" screen - CAD $699
iPhone 5S 16GB with 4" screen - CAD $719

I'm sorry, come again?

And like I said, you can disagree with it all you want, but even at $110 difference, the perception is there, and no, it's not "just an internet thing". People might not shout it from the rafters like they do on the internet, but yeah, the general population consensus from people who don't own iPhones is that you're paying a premium, they just don't give it a glib name. The only disagreement seems to be whether or not you get more value out of that premium price.
Lol c'mon dude, you really had to go for the Canadian prices not the US? Anyway:

Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB with 5.1" screen - CAD $959

oooh, are you going to move the goalposts again?

silly dick waving

I was saying that they're similar phenomena based on the same principles. If a person on the internet can't afford it, their first instinct is to get butthurt and ridicule it, especially if it was something they wanted.
And throwing out less than a handful of names of "rich Apple geeks" doesn't change that the majority of the ire towards it is from people who can't afford it. Because there's a shit-ton more of those.
And your first instinct is to assume anyone who criticizes an apple product is because they can't afford it.

Terrell

I had hoped that by including a link to "silly analysis/speculation like 152,000 iPads pre-orders this weekend; 1m by mid-April?" of the 2010 we could avoid repeating history of inaccurate predictions but if you want to go with the order sequence guesstimate *shrug*

It's funny that you're actually comparing data extrapolation from a wannabe analyst on a blog with an actual analytics firm that partners with one of the largest online retailers in Asia. But hey, whatever, we can definitely revisit this later to see who's right or wrong. Heck, it might take a week or a month to reach Pebble's 1 million sales mark that it took 1-2 years to achieve. But that doesn't actually change the core of the point, which is that 1 million sales is literally a drop in the bucket and not nearly the significant sales marker you made it out to be as though it were a success with anyone but tech geeks.

I don't make the fashion rules and Apple's the one who decided to play by them

Jewelry being perceived as feminine is not a "fashion rule".

Lol c'mon dude, you really had to go for the Canadian prices not the US?

You should be glad I did. Between the launch of the iPhone 6 and the launch of the S6, the Canadian dollar sank in value by 15-20 cents. Wouldn't that make your assertion that Samsung phones are more expensive than iPhones readily apparent?

Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB with 5.1" screen - CAD $959

oooh, are you going to move the goalposts again?

silly dick waving

Sorry, I was comparing like-for-like products, or the closest that one can approximate. Was that my mistake? Did I miss the intro of a curved-screen iPhone?

And besides, if you're saying that Android owners are just as willing to buy products at the same or more dollars, using the Edge as an example is kinda funny, since its predecessor, the Note Edge 4, didn't exactly light sales on fire.

And definitely doesn't help the argument at all that the S5 saw a sales decline.

And your first instinct is to assume anyone who criticizes an apple product is because they can't afford it.

What "instinct"? You were in the same Apple Watch thread I was that went on for page after page of people fixating their laughter and/or salty tears on the Edition at the exclusion of any other discussion. You have a handful of quotes. Since we're both comparing anecdotal evidence, my money's on the majority of comments being levied at the Edition, not 3. If you don't care to address the reality of the situation, I'll take a page from your book...

*shrug*

japtor

Looks deep black in every picture taken from Apple Store tryons - the bright white flourescent lighting in the display case makes it look more like gunmetal, but it seems that the actual Space Black SS is a deep black in more regular lighting.

imU7eSs.jpg

FskxTZF.jpg

qSIkXlc.jpg
I'm hoping it's a bit of both and just varies a bunch depending on lighting, like black/anthracite chrome. Here's a good picture showing the metallic side of how it can look, and yeah in the display case:
https://instagram.com/p/1WUMT0n3vN/?tagged=spaceblack

Same reason they don't attempt to address 100% of the smartphone market to begin with. Not everyone has the money, and of the people that do they're willing to bet that enough would be willing to switch to iPhone. And unlike the Mac (with the iPod) they have the market presence to realistically pursue that strategy.
Agreed - how they turned 9080 known preorders into an estimate of 957,000 is a complete mystery.
Statistical analysis? It's considered acceptable if the sample is proper for the group you're trying to predict... hell if I know if they did that though!
Jewelry being perceived as feminine is not a "fashion rule".
Yeah that's a weird one I haven't really heard myself, particularly since fancy watches are considered jewelry in the first place.

Top Bottom