• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Blackhead

Redarse
It's funny that you're actually comparing data extrapolation from a wannabe analyst on a blog with an actual analytics firm that partners with one of the largest online retailers in Asia. But hey, whatever, we can definitely revisit this later to see who's right or wrong. Heck, it might take a week or a month to reach Pebble's 1 million sales mark that it took 1-2 years to achieve. But that doesn't actually change the core of the point, which is that 1 million sales is literally a drop in the bucket and not nearly the significant sales marker you made it out to be as though it were a success with anyone but tech geeks.
Why Analysts Were Wrong: iPad Sales Much Lower Than Wall Street Predicted
Smartwatches Hit the Mainstream, Pebble Lands at Best Buy
Pebble Steel Smartwatch Debuts With Mainstream In Mind
Jewelry being perceived as feminine is not a "fashion rule".
Read this recent submarine article in the New York Times: Jewelry for Men Is Back in Vogue
“When I was a kid, a guy would not walk into a jeweler if not to buy something for a woman,” said Lawrence McCormick, vice president for marketing at William Henry, a maker of pocket knives and men’s luxury accessories based in McMinnville, Ore. “Every time we walked into a jeweler, we felt mostly uncomfortable. Everything around us — the cases, the décor — was designed for a female audience.”
You should be glad I did. Between the launch of the iPhone 6 and the launch of the S6, the Canadian dollar sank in value by 15-20 cents. Wouldn't that make your assertion that Samsung phones are more expensive than iPhones readily apparent?

Sorry, I was comparing like-for-like products, or the closest that one can approximate. Was that my mistake? Did I miss the intro of a curved-screen iPhone?

And besides, if you're saying that Android owners are just as willing to buy products at the same or more dollars, using the Edge as an example is kinda funny, since its predecessor, the Note Edge 4, didn't exactly light sales on fire.

And definitely doesn't help the argument at all that the S5 saw a sales decline.*

In USD
Galaxy S6 64GB with 5.1" screen - $785
iPhone 6 64GB with 4.7" screen - $749

What "instinct"? You were in the same Apple Watch thread I was that went on for page after page of people fixating their laughter and/or salty tears on the Edition at the exclusion of any other discussion. You have a handful of quotes. Since we're both comparing anecdotal evidence, my money's on the majority of comments being levied at the Edition, not 3. If you don't care to address the reality of the situation, I'll take a page from your book...

*shrug*
*shrug*

And your first instinct is to assume anyone who criticizes an apple product is because they can't afford it.

This isn't quite the same thing, but every person I've spoken with that is irrationally critical of Apple often does so in an attempt to justify they device they own, particularly after using the Apple product in question. As horribly first world problems-esque as this is, it is fairly annoying to invest a reasonable amount of money into a product only to be shown something better, and it tends to cause people to be extremely defensive of their purchase.

For me personally (and I mean very specifically me as I don't wish to imply that this is objectively true), I found that after using PC's and Android for the large majority of my life, switching to Apple hardware was an eye opening experience. The design and build quality of my MBP and iPhone 6+ are shockingly better than anything I'd previously owned. From my experience with even the Sport Watch at my try on appointment, it too is a far nicer product than my Pebble, Pebble Steel, Moto 360 or Zenwatch.

Blackhead

Redarse
This isn't quite the same thing, but every person I've spoken with that is irrationally critical of Apple often does so in an attempt to justify they device they own, particularly after using the Apple product in question. As horribly first world problems-esque as this is, it is fairly annoying to invest a reasonable amount of money into a product only to be shown something better, and it tends to cause people to be extremely defensive of their purchase.
Fair enough but it goes both ways and I am tired of arguing with irrational Apple defenders

Vyer

Those pics of the black watch are really nice. deeper black color than anything else Apple puts out it looks like.

Also, if it helps you guys bickering about phone prices any, Sprint is currently offering a Galaxy S6 for 'free' with signup.

Fair enough but it goes both ways and I am tired of arguing with irrational Apple defenders

I feel you, but mostly for the inverse. Being constantly shit on by people who irrationally despise Apple because they've never bothered to their hardware a chance or consider themselves better people for saving $50 on an equivalent Android device is not a great feeling. I haven't even told any of my friends that I preordered the Watch because I don't want to be subjected to a rant about how overpriced and poorly made they think Apple products are.

finalflame

You know, I am a pretty tech-savvy person. I work as a software engineer (webdev), I have been enthusiastic and excited about PC/Mac and followed most of each platform's respective lives since I could comprehend what they were, I grew up building PCs since I was ~8, etc.

I say this because I am fully, 100% aware of the technical shortcomings of many of Apple's products. I realize that, often, Apple's devices are not the fastest, have the best features, nor are they the most capable. Android devices have, for a long time, innovated and added plenty of features long before Apple implemented the very same things. That's not really a new thing; the last "breakthrough" thing apple really made was the iPhone. They then revolutionized the usage and place of tablets in the marketplace with the iPad, but it's still a relatively incapable tablet when compared to things like the Surface Pro or many Android offerings.

However, there's really something to be said about how Apple does things. I have owned every iPhone (minus the 4S) since the original. I have also switched, at times, to plenty of Android devices (S3, S4, Moto X, Nexus 4, Nexus 5). While I had some neat experiences rooting my Android devices, customizing them, using custom-made themes and even meddling with making my own custom APKs, I still came back to iPhone and the Apple ecosystem.

Why? Because it just works, and often Apple's implementations of core features that I personally use are much more solidly built than in other environments. I also own a MBP Retina 13" (mid-2014). For years, I used ThinkPads (T61, T420, X1 Carbon), but all of them gave me trouble over the years. Two of them had full system board failures and pieces of the plastic chassis that chipped off. One of them (X1 Carbon) had a faulty audio multijack. None of them felt particularly well built, and I really wanted to love them, but truth be told they were entirely lackluster.

Where am I going with this? Apple things just work, and being within their ecosystem means a lot of cool things that also "just work". The experience of having a Mac, an iPad, an iPhone, and soon an Apple Watch is actually extremely pleasant and makes lots of every day tasks a breeze. Messaging, e-mail, web browsing and app-aided content is a breeze on iOS. You can consume content to your heart's desire with Apple's built-in solutions, which just work, and are intuitive and easy to use. Transferring data, media, and syncing information across devices is a breeze with little setup required using AirDrop and iCloud. Handoff makes for a really seamless experience between your OSX and IOS devices. AirPlay is great for sharing media to your TV or across devices.

When it comes down to it, Apple's devices just work, and being in that ecosystem, and invested in it, for me, pays off in the way of convenience. Yah, I don't have a 1440p screen on my phone, nor do I have NFC (still on a 5s). I am missing a lot of features that are present on more modern Android devices that can't be had on an iPhone. However, the payoff comes in the way of being in an extremely productive, easy to use, and beautifully realized ecosystem which to me is worth it.

And it's not because I'm dumb or just don't want to fiddle with Android/Windows (I still dual boot WIndows and Mint Linux for gaming/tinkering on my gaming PC, but primarly get work done in OSX because being based on Unix makes it a much better dev environment), it's just because I appreciate the user-friendliness and thought that goes into Apple's devices and software. Say what you will about Apple, but their devices and services tend to just work. And 99% of the time, that's what I want, for my shit to just work and do the things I do daily really, really well.

Anyways, sorry for the long-winded post. People are always wanting to argue against what Apple is doing in favor of what Android does, and don't get me wrong, Android does a lot of great things and I am abundantly happy it exists. However, to me, the Android "ecosystem" just isn't as great as Apple's. And that's why I continue to buy and love their devices.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

For me personally (and I mean very specifically me as I don't wish to imply that this is objectively true), I found that after using PC's and Android for the large majority of my life, switching to Apple hardware was an eye opening experience. The design and build quality of my MBP and iPhone 6+ are shockingly better than anything I'd previously owned. From my experience with even the Sport Watch at my try on appointment, it too is a far nicer product than my Pebble, Pebble Steel, Moto 360 or Zenwatch.

In my (obviously personal) opinion, Windows Phone has the best OS out of all smartphones, and the high end ones have great build quality and cameras.
pesky lack of apps lets it down big time though
but they sell like shit. IOS actually comes in last for me as e environment is too controlled and siloed app by app. IOS8 with the extensions is a decent step forward but I hope they do more. Build quality among most high end phones is pretty damn good and there isnt enough of a difference to highlight one over another.

Edit - I think victor.m nails it.

In my (obviously personal) opinion, Windows Phone has the best OS out of all smartphones, and the high end ones have great build quality and cameras.
pesky lack of apps lets it down big time though
but they sell like shit. IOS actually comes in last for me as e environment is too controlled and siloed app by app. IOS8 with the extensions is a decent step forward but I hope they do more. Build quality among most high end phones is pretty damn good and there isnt enough of a difference to highlight one over another.

Edit - I think victor.m nails it.

I loved my 920 while I had it, and if it had better app/wearable support I probably would have stuck with it. WP8 is definitely one of my favorite smartphone OS's, and I think the live tiles are perfect for mobile.

Edit: victor.m did put it perfectly. My iPhone may not be as bleeding edge as comparable Android devices, but it and the other Apple products I own are such flawlessly realized pieces of hardware, iterated upon so many times during the design process that the experience of using them is something I wouldn't trade for anything.

I'm hoping it's a bit of both and just varies a bunch depending on lighting, like black/anthracite chrome. Here's a good picture showing the metallic side of how it can look, and yeah in the display case:
https://instagram.com/p/1WUMT0n3vN/?tagged=spaceblack
That picture makes it very obvious that it is quite a bit brighter/whiter than real life, because you can clearly see the difference between the bezel and the screen; they were designed to disappear into each other, in normal lighting they are the same shade of black.

Hasney

I loved my 920 while I had it, and if it had better app/wearable support I probably would have stuck with it. WP8 is definitely one of my favorite smartphone OS's, and I think the live tiles are perfect for mobile.

I would agree about iOS, but my few years with Android cultivated a decidedly severe animosity towards the Play store. I'm also fairly particular about what I perceive to be aesthetically pleasing, so I don't usually mind the more controlled environment of iOS. For example, a large chunk of Android Wear/Pebble users have noted the lack of custom watch face support from Apple. Yes, it's super easy to install thousands of different Android Wear or Pebble faces, but the overwhelming majority of them look terrible. It's cool that those tools are out there, but I can't film jellyfish in 4K at 300 frames a second in my basement, turn it into a watch face and upload it to the Play store. If that option and a myriad of other equally impressive designs exist, I'm not sure why I care that a poorly photoshopped Pip-Boy watch face doesn't exist on Apple's platform too.

May as well join the love-in for WP8, there's a reason it's my cheap backup phone! Shame it never got popular enough to get the apps.

I was the opposite, by the time I was done with iPhones with the 4S after the 3G and the 4, I was begrudging the app store and because I did want to tweak things, I was sick of lagging behind updates waiting for Jailbreaks and the fact the phones were tiny for my hands. A horrible experience with Samsung along with the announcement of the 6+ combined with an Apple Watch was tempting me back, but I don't think the watch offers enough and the last iOS update was basically "look what you can do if you have a Mac!" which made me realise that the phones aren't being aimed at me at all as even if I ever et a Macbook, the first thing I'll do is shove Windows on it.

I'm glad I realised that it was Samsung that I had a problem with and not Android itself, the aesthetics of Lollipop are making it slowly become my favourite mobile OS. It's the first Android or iOS version I haven't wanted to tweak yet! Basically in this thread to see what usage people end up using the Watch for in the real world and hopefully see it kick on Android as although Android Wear seems more functional for my use right now, it's certainly not there as a must have accessory yet.

Also funny how you called out Pipboy skins. This was my 3G for its lifetime....

post-208939-1241081729_thumb.jpg

Twiforce

GAF, am I the only one who strongly prefers the silver aluminum over stainless steel? In pics the steel just looks way too shiny and vulnerable to fingerprints. By contrast, the smooth matte of the alumium I find prettier. Anyone else feel that way? It worries me how everyone keeps saying it looks cheap.

GAF, am I the only one who strongly prefers the silver aluminum over stainless steel? In pics the steel just looks way too shiny and vulnerable to fingerprints. By contrast, the smooth matte of the alumium I find prettier. Anyone else feel that way? It worries me how everyone keeps saying it looks cheap.
Don't worry if that's what you prefer then great. Taste is subjective.

jts

...hate me...
Well, the iPod touch, for example, went from stainless steel to aluminum and no one batted an eye, in fact people liked it.

But SS is still a bit more premium, not as light, but more dent resistant.

I'm wondering how its finish will wear out though. I can't imagine it being like the SS on the iPods, which would scuff just by looking at. I wish they would have made it in that iPhone 4/s SS finish instead.

I will get myself the silver alu as well. I think it will only look cheap if it gets dented and scratched and whatnot. In pristine condition it will look premium enough.

Ambitious

You know, I am a pretty tech-savvy person. I work as a software engineer (webdev), I have been enthusiastic and excited about PC/Mac and followed most of each platform's respective lives since I could comprehend what they were, I grew up building PCs since I was ~8, etc.

I say this because I am fully, 100% aware of the technical shortcomings of many of Apple's products. I realize that, often, Apple's devices are not the fastest, have the best features, nor are they the most capable. Android devices have, for a long time, innovated and added plenty of features long before Apple implemented the very same things. That's not really a new thing; the last "breakthrough" thing apple really made was the iPhone. They then revolutionized the usage and place of tablets in the marketplace with the iPad, but it's still a relatively incapable tablet when compared to things like the Surface Pro or many Android offerings.

However, there's really something to be said about how Apple does things. I have owned every iPhone (minus the 4S) since the original. I have also switched, at times, to plenty of Android devices (S3, S4, Moto X, Nexus 4, Nexus 5). While I had some neat experiences rooting my Android devices, customizing them, using custom-made themes and even meddling with making my own custom APKs, I still came back to iPhone and the Apple ecosystem.

Why? Because it just works, and often Apple's implementations of core features that I personally use are much more solidly built than in other environments. I also own a MBP Retina 13" (mid-2014). For years, I used ThinkPads (T61, T420, X1 Carbon), but all of them gave me trouble over the years. Two of them had full system board failures and pieces of the plastic chassis that chipped off. One of them (X1 Carbon) had a faulty audio multijack. None of them felt particularly well built, and I really wanted to love them, but truth be told they were entirely lackluster.

Where am I going with this? Apple things just work, and being within their ecosystem means a lot of cool things that also "just work". The experience of having a Mac, an iPad, an iPhone, and soon an Apple Watch is actually extremely pleasant and makes lots of every day tasks a breeze. Messaging, e-mail, web browsing and app-aided content is a breeze on iOS. You can consume content to your heart's desire with Apple's built-in solutions, which just work, and are intuitive and easy to use. Transferring data, media, and syncing information across devices is a breeze with little setup required using AirDrop and iCloud. Handoff makes for a really seamless experience between your OSX and IOS devices. AirPlay is great for sharing media to your TV or across devices.

When it comes down to it, Apple's devices just work, and being in that ecosystem, and invested in it, for me, pays off in the way of convenience. Yah, I don't have a 1440p screen on my phone, nor do I have NFC (still on a 5s). I am missing a lot of features that are present on more modern Android devices that can't be had on an iPhone. However, the payoff comes in the way of being in an extremely productive, easy to use, and beautifully realized ecosystem which to me is worth it.

And it's not because I'm dumb or just don't want to fiddle with Android/Windows (I still dual boot WIndows and Mint Linux for gaming/tinkering on my gaming PC, but primarly get work done in OSX because being based on Unix makes it a much better dev environment), it's just because I appreciate the user-friendliness and thought that goes into Apple's devices and software. Say what you will about Apple, but their devices and services tend to just work. And 99% of the time, that's what I want, for my shit to just work and do the things I do daily really, really well.

Anyways, sorry for the long-winded post. People are always wanting to argue against what Apple is doing in favor of what Android does, and don't get me wrong, Android does a lot of great things and I am abundantly happy it exists. However, to me, the Android "ecosystem" just isn't as great as Apple's. And that's why I continue to buy and love their devices.

Might want to check my post history, specifically my posts in the OS X and iOS threads, if you think Apple devices "just work". Because they don't.

SuperPac

- The crown always facing your knuckles. This I am not sure about, so someone please correct me if I have this wrong... but if you wear it on the left hand, the crown is in the upper right corner, but if you wear it on the right hand (and this is where I am not sure, going off store employee), the crown has to be on the lower left, because you need to have easy access to it with the left hand. (See photo above.)

You can customize this, but I'd imagine it's easier to use that way? I dunno, I've always worn watches on my left hand.

They will take walk-ins, just ask an employee for an appointment. It was fairly busy at the store and my appointment was ready within a few minutes.

Nilay and Jean-Louise Gasee on Twitter: https://twitter.com/gassee/status/587349655513509888

xblF4.jpg

This is amazing. Nilay being a total baby. That was one of the more ridiculous parts of the video review (along with the bar scene...ugh).

kaskade

Song was thinking about holding out on seeing the watch in person but I have to make a trip to the store for an issue with my 6. I'll probably be too tempted to not take a look.

SuperPac

Song was thinking about holding out on seeing the watch in person but I have to make a trip to the store for an issue with my 6. I'll probably be too tempted to not take a look.

The big glass table at my local apple store wasn't terribly crowded at all - you can definitely take a look there. On Saturday my wife and I did a try-on with no wait and there are those tiny watch-attached-to-iPad kiosks around. Definitely plenty of opportunity to take a look.

Somnid

I was able to go to the Apple Store and look at the watches but there were way too many people to get a walk-in try on.

Overall I was rather unimpressed with the look of it. After being bombarded with super zoomed pr0n shots and hype, it's not particularly notable in person. It looked like a number of square smart watches but with nicer materials (maybe they can create a lower cost plastic one for people who do not give a shit?). Some of the bands were okay though, I guess that really where the style comes into play. Screen was not particularly bright either, my guess is to save power.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

dude, your sole intent in this thread seems to be ONLY to argue with people interested in the watch. up to and including being the only one here to call it iWatch, presumably as a slam of some sort... If your desire is to just argue and troll, then you can't sit here and complain about "irrational fans" arguing with you as frankly, you aren't really generating any interesting debate of any sort.. just playing the token "anti-apple guy in an apple thread"

not sure.. I know many prefer the space grey over the stainless steel.. and would guess a number of people were either fine with the silver aluminum (or preferred it) to greatly outsell the stainless steel. I think it generally depends on what you're shooting for looks-wise.

I just got back from my try-on appointment. As a thing you wear on your wrist, it looked and felt better than I expected. But after using it at the demo station, I was really baffled by the interface. Nothing felt intuitive. I was never sure if I was supposed to tap, force touch, swipe, or use the crown. Things that I was sure would have force touch didn't react at all. Some acted like they were reacting but seemingly did nothing.

I dunno. As a huge Apple fan, I was kind of surprised at how much I didn't like using it.

(Also, I was under the impression that the trackpad on the new MacBook wasn't supposed to move. It clearly did on every model in the store I was in. I don't understand.)

what is wrong with Nilay from the Verge? He sounds like a high school kid getting in a twitter fight. Embarrassing for the Verge.

I get what he's saying but I agree that getting in a twitter fight over this just makes everyone look stupid. The gigantic bracelet is awful though.

finalflame

Might want to check my post history, specifically my posts in the OS X and iOS threads, if you think Apple devices "just work". Because they don't.

Not gonna comb through your posts bud, if you have an argument to make you can do so in this thread.

Regardless of what might be the case for you, the case for me is that all my Apple devices just work, and work well, including my Hackintosh which is by no means standard nor would it be expected to work without a hitch. But it does.

I'm sure you can find many, many people that have the exact same experience.

SuperPac

(Also, I was under the impression that the trackpad on the new MacBook wasn't supposed to move. It clearly did on every model in the store I was in. I don't understand.)

Was it the actual new "MacBook" or just a MacBook Pro? I don't think the pros have been all updated with Force Touch. But if it was a "new" MacBook - you've been tricked by the taptic engine - it does not move. Though it certainly feels like it does.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The dig was a bit tacky, but I think Patel should have taken the high road on that one

the dig may have been tacky, but his original statement was rather snarky. Had he said "It wasn't for me." "Wasn't my taste." or similar I don't think anyone would have batted an eye for it.. But to spew out "I felt ridiculous" when he walks around with accessories that most would probably find equally if not more ridiculous...

when you use hyperbole you open yourself up for criticism. sadly that is also the state of review journalism these days. paint as emotional and severe a picture as you can to get incoming links.

I just got back from my try-on appointment. As a thing you wear on your wrist, it looked and felt better than I expected. But after using it at the demo station, I was really baffled by the interface. Nothing felt intuitive. I was never sure if I was supposed to tap, force touch, swipe, or use the crown. Things that I was sure would have force touch didn't react at all. Some acted like they were reacting but seemingly did nothing.

I dunno. As a huge Apple fan, I was kind of surprised at how much I didn't like using it.

The new macbook isn't even being stocked at this point, so what you used was likely not it.

Yeah, I was kind of shocked by his reaction to that. Seemed like a cool guy in the video review, and then his twitter rant totally changed my perception of him.

Yeah, I was kind of shocked by his reaction to that. Seemed like a cool guy in the video review, and then his twitter rant totally changed my perception of him.

I didn't even read all of them until now.

"Old White Men Critiquing My Spiky Bracelet is juuuuuust my favorite"

"did it ever occur to anyone that i wear the thing as a studied reminder that i do not want to ever fit in or be a fucking suit"

"so pointing out that my silly ripped 15-year old bracelet looks stupid is basically complete validation of its incongruity"

By the way, I do like that he wore a suit in the review.

jts

...hate me...
Damn. Apple Germany replied to me re:eek:rder cancellation with a "no can do".

Enjoy your Apple Watches mates.

xsarien

daedsiluap
That is an absolutely solid burn in response to a line in the review that was needlessly shrill. You felt ridiculous wearing it? Awesome, how about you keep that to yourself and just say that "it wasn't for me."

Was it the actual new "MacBook" or just a MacBook Pro? I don't think the pros have been all updated with Force Touch. But if it was a "new" MacBook - you've been tricked by the taptic engine - it does not move. Though it certainly feels like it does.

The new macbook isn't even being stocked at this point, so what you used was likely not it.

No, it's the new MacBook for sure. There are six of them on display in my local Apple Store. And it absolutely did move. I could see it with my eyes, not just feel it.

SuperPac

No, it's the new MacBook for sure. There are six of them on display in my local Apple Store. And it absolutely did move. I could see it with my eyes, not just feel it.

Yeah I went to the Atlanta Lenox Square store over the weekend and tried it too (they also had ~6 of the new MacBook) - it's not moving, it's the taptic engine/force touch. It feels like it's moving to click, but it's not. Your eyes deceived you.

It absolutely does not move. If you still don't believe it, shut down the computer and then try clicking. It will not move.

TxdoHawk

Seriously though, I cringed looking at that thing, and his explanation is even worse. The whole thing comes off like a 15-year-old flipping the bird at their parents before running off to a Hot Topic.

If it's a keepsake reminder, that's one thing, and more power to him. But Jesus H, leave that shit in a drawer where it belongs with the other shitty parts of the 90s. If you're a grown-ass adult and need such an overdramatic daily reminder to tell "The Man" to go fuck himself, you should probably re-evaluate your life choices and/or your mental state.

Yeah I went to the Atlanta Lenox Square store over the weekend and tried it too (they also had ~6 of the new MacBook) - it's not moving, it's the taptic engine/force touch. It feels like it's moving to click, but it's not. Your eyes deceived you.

It absolutely does not move. If you still don't believe it, shut down the computer and then try clicking. It will not move.

I'm not going to harp on it because it's getting off topic, but it does have some flex or "give" to it. I understand that it doesn't move like the old trackpads did, but it does react and move if you push hard on it. I don't know what else to say other than that I experienced it myself.

This video explains how the trackpad works, it has to have some flex to it to measure the pressure. That's what I was feeling and seeing.

Top Bottom