• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
wasn't there a day 0 update or something? do we know that reviewers had the same system software that's shipping today?

beyond that there's also the chance that apps have updated since then affecting performance as well.

ckohler

Some more impressions after 30 minutes with the watch:

• The screen turn off/wrist down detection may be a bit too sensitive. I'll need to see if I can adjust it. I'm finding that the screen turns off when I'm trying to do something sometimes.
  • Texting on this is fun as hell! I'm using dictation. A friend even sent me a photo and I could immediately view it on my watch.
  • While I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, as someone who hasn't worn a watch in several decades, this feels pretty heavy on my wrist. I guess I was expecting the weight of a plastic Casio watch and not a metal one which is dumb in hindsight.
  • Force touch is really "force touch". I was skeptical that Apple was just calling a "long press" as "force touch" but it legitimately is different. It knows when you don't press hard enough.
  • Clicking on the digital crown still feels a little weird. I'm not sure exactly the best way to do it. Sometimes I pinch with my fingers along the top of the watch and other times with my hand over the face. Another thing I'll have to figure out.
  • I was expecting to be able to use a swipe gesture to scroll through glances but if you do that you'll swipe past two or three. You have to slowly drag them past. Not really a fan of that but, again, maybe I'll get used to it.

borghe

• *]Force touch is really "force touch". I was skeptical that Apple was just calling a "long press" as "force touch" but it legitimately is different. It knows when you don't press hard enough.

this actually shocked me. I was just expecting "a bit harder" or "a bit longer"... but yeah.... it's PRESS THAT SHIT SUPAH HARD!!!!!!! It really is shocking in that there is zero give on the glass...

but a good thing to play with is watching the menus fade in and out on force press to get an idea of how hard you really can press it. It's pretty incredible really.

SURGEdude

Cant wait for a jailbreak update so I dont have to use my old iPhone with this baby. Though I had forgotten how much I love that 4inch screen.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

• Clicking on the digital crown still feels a little weird. I'm not sure exactly the best way to do it. Sometimes I pinch with my fingers along the top of the watch and other times with my hand over the face. Another thing I'll have to figure out.

With the watch on my left wrist, I go right hand thumb on the crown, pointer on the opposite side of the watch for leverage. Kind of a wide pinching motion to press it.

When it taps your wrist, can you hear a motor or is it silent? I have a Fitbit that has vibrating alarms and you can hear when it goes off from a few feet away if you have good ears.

Ninja Dom

Superb impressions, ckohler.

And a good point you made too. I also haven't worn a watch in several years not since I was a kid so it will also probably take me a while to simply get used to the new weight on my wrist.

Can the pre-baked text responses be edited? When my girlfriend and I iMessage each other we use "xxx" at the end of every text. And standard emoji's sent from a regular iPhone display fine on the Watch, right?

Erebus

That's impressive.

5PKNgxhkWXHEC1Dd.huge

xsarien

daedsiluap
Just got my 42mm Space Grey Sport. It's finishing setting up. This is my first time holding one. First impressions:

• As small as I expected it be which is to say very small
  • It's built like a rock. Very solid.
  • It weighs a lot more than I was expecting.
  • The band feels extremely premium
  • I'm wearing the large band and I was able to get it to fit in the third from last hole on my big ass wrist.
  • The strap is cumbersome to put on. Maybe I'll get better at it but I kinda wish I had a leather loop or other easier band.

Woah! It just finished installing apps and it pinged my wrist. Felt weird and the tapping was strong. Trying it out now...

Did you not go to a store to get a sense of fit/size first?

RubxQub

So just to be clear, showering with this thing is ok, yes?

Yes/No.

Yes in that, you're like 99.99% going to be fine as long as you aren't shooting the water jets straight at it constantly and rubbing soap and whatnot all over it.

No in that, the official guidance from Apple is not to do it.

I'm not going to, but man do I want to.

borghe

Can the pre-baked text responses be edited? When my girlfriend and I iMessage each other we use "xxx" at the end of every text. And standard emoji's sent from a regular iPhone display fine on the Watch, right?

still waiting for my watch, but I remember reading that pre-baked responses can be edited on the Apple Watch App on iPhone.

ckohler

When it taps your wrist, can you hear a motor or is it silent? I have a Fitbit that has vibrating alarms and you can hear when it goes off from a few feet away if you have good ears.

I don't think so but I'm not certain. I'll pay more attention next time.

You can change them (there are six) but you can't add more.

Did you not go to a store to get a sense of fit/size first?

No Apple Store in my city. Nearest one is hours away.

RubxQub

Random fun fact: The 38mm and 42mm watches come in different sized boxes. For some reason the 42mm watch's box is like an inch longer.

probably makes it easy for retail employees to grab the right box

Just opened my wife's 38mm watch to see what's up, and found that it uses the S/M band by default, whereas my 42mm watch defaulted to the M/L, which would explain the extra size.

Your reason is also likely a contributing factor, but I'm also guessing that Apple assumes most folks with the 42mm watch will have bigger wrists.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Just opened my wife's 38mm watch to see what's up, and found that it uses the S/M band by default, whereas my 42mm watch defaulted to the M/L, which would explain the extra size.

Your reason is also likely a contributing factor, but I'm also guessing that Apple assumes most folks with the 42mm watch will have bigger wrists.

But they still come with different-sized bands in case the one attached in the factory doesn't fit, right?

Got my refund coming from my Pebble Time pledge and now I am looking at bands for my sport. I wonder what would look good with the aluminium.

Any truth to the rumour that there are sport straps to buy in store?

RubxQub

But they still come with different-sized bands in case the one attached in the factory doesn't fit, right?

Yeah, they both come with the alternate size in a separate little box.

Edit: My watch says it's time to stand up...FUCK! FUCKIN WATCH! STOP TRYING TO RUN MY LIFE!

RubxQub

Well, to be clear, it comes with HALF of the alternate size strap since the part of the band that has the fastening pin is universal and works with either length.

Fact.

border

Man, I am going nuts. My watch was sent out for delivery at 7 AM this morning, but it's well past 4 now. Will the UPS guy ever get here?

Erebus

The picture?
I mean, there are mechanical movement much, much smaller than that.
Apparently so, as the mechanical watch on the right is fairly old. But I was talking more from a technological standpoint, practically wearing a mini computer on your wrist.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes/No.

Yes in that, you're like 99.99% going to be fine as long as you aren't shooting the water jets straight at it constantly and rubbing soap and whatnot all over it.

No in that, the official guidance from Apple is not to do it.

I'm not going to, but man do I want to.

I thought it was officially rated IPx7? In that case it should - officially - survive being submerged in fresh water for 30 mins

riotous

Banned
I'm a 12:04 AM purchaser of an SG 42mm watch.. still no shipping notice, just says processing.

Have a feeling I'll be waiting until late next week or something.

42 mm Space Gray Sport here. I absolutely love this thing. Apps run much better than I thought and I'm finding a lot of the glances to be actually pretty useful. I had an OG Pebble since that launched, and needless to say the Apple Watch is on a whole new level.

Ambient80

Is there any way to change the default notification sounds? I find the little *ting* easy to miss, even with the tap on the wrist. Guess I don't want anything too crazy, though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you customise the taps, so eg email from your work account taps you twice quickly, your personal mail is a single tap, that sort of thing?

cakefoo

Got my white 42mm Sport.

Only lost a a few points on the battery during my first 45 minutes of near constant tinkering. A 15 minute charge has given me 14% more battery. I'm using an Anker 4-port charger for what it's worth.

ckohler

Can you customise the taps, so eg email from your work account taps you twice quickly, your personal mail is a single tap, that sort of thing?

Not that I can find. Also, someone asked if the Taptic Engine makes noise and I can't hear it. However, it's very brief and I have the watch making sounds for most notifications anyway.

Top Bottom