• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

TxdoHawk

Scalpers in Austin sold their lot for over three times retail price. local ios developers took it off their hands per a few of their responses.

Geez. With how many programmers exist in my part of the world (Northern NJ/NYC) I'd be tempted, assuming the market is still hot when I get my watch. I doubt it, though.

Also, behold: How To Turn Your Apple Watch Gold. Pretty funny, even if the part where he slices open the box makes the part of my brain that keeps the boxes for things scream internally.

Not that I can find. Also, someone asked if the Taptic Engine makes noise and I can't hear it. However, it's very brief and I have the watch making sounds for most notifications anyway.

Can you create alarms on your phone and have them just vibrate the watch? Like, set an alarm for 6PM every evening and just have the watch vibrate?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You let me down UPS. Let me down hard.

Downtown Toronto, how hard can it be?
Yup. Same here. I changed delivery to have it held at the station tonight so they'll cal me when the truck gets back. Not too bad except that I might not get it until 8pm local time.

ckohler

Can you create alarms on your phone and have them just vibrate the watch? Like, set an alarm for 6PM every evening and just have the watch vibrate?

You can create alarms directly on the watch. They can be set to go off every evening at 6PM like you want.

If you set the watch to Silent Mode, then the alarm will only vibrate on your wrist. However, having it in silent means all other notifications will also not make sound.

Having just tried this, I can now confirm that the Taptic Engine does not make sound when it's on your wrist. It's silent.

You can create alarms directly on the watch. They can be set to go off every evening at 6PM like you want.

If you set the watch to Silent Mode, then the alarm will only vibrate on your wrist. However, having it in silent means all other notifications will also not make sound.

Having just tried this, I can now confirm that the Taptic Engine does not make sound when it's on your wrist. It's silent.

Beautiful. Thank you!

TxdoHawk

Dunno how it is in Canada, but my understanding is that in the US, they basically tell UPS dudes to keep going until the truck is empty. I've gotten packages as late as 9PM.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
All mine showed up yippy. Kind of a box whore and apple doesn't disappoint. Wouldn't have thought the sports watch would come in such a nice case, I was really surprised.

For those of you that have it, what's the range like on the watch when it comes to accepting calls, receiving texts, etc.?

Also I despise watches, and this thread is making me want one.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I thought it was officially rated IPx7? In that case it should - officially - survive being submerged in fresh water for 30 mins

Here's what Apple officially says (emphasis mine):

Apple said:
Exposure to liquid Apple Watch is water resistant but not waterproof. You may, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise (exposure to sweat is OK), in the rain, and while washing your hands. If water splashes on to the watch, wipe it off with a nonabrasive, lint-free cloth. Try to minimize exposing Apple Watch to these substances and follow the instructions below in the “Cleaning and care” section if Apple Watch comes into contact with them:

Soap, detergent, acids or acidic foods, and any liquids other than fresh water, such as salt water, soapy water, pool water, perfume, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, adhesive remover, hair dye, or solvents.

Submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant. Water resistance is not a permanent condition and Apple Watch cannot be rechecked or resealed for water resistance. The following may affect the water resistance of Apple Watch and should be avoided:

Dropping Apple Watch or subjecting it to other impacts.

Submerging Apple Watch in water for long periods of time.

Swimming or bathing with Apple Watch.

Exposing Apple Watch to pressurized water or high velocity water, for example, showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on.

Wearing Apple Watch in the sauna or steam room.

riotous

Banned
Here's what Apple officially says (emphasis mine):

It seems likely that a low pressure shower wouldn't count.

Seems like the chance it would fog up would kill the utility of having it on you in the shower; but I guess time will tell. Even if it worked well and you could see and potentially respond to texts/calls while showering; doesn't seem worth the risk.

(and as you highlight soap is another issue)

ckohler

At $400+ dollars, just take it off before showering. Not worth the risk.

That picture of the guy who jumped into a pool with it is an idiot for doing that.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I'm basically of the opinion that the watch is probably mighty water resistant, and that a lot of what Apple is putting out there is to cover their asses more than anything...

... but I'm not going to push the boundaries just to be safe. If I get caught in the rain or accidentally thrown in a pool, I won't lose my mind, however.

SURGEdude

Just found out it works for some wifi functions work without having an iPhone turned on. Strange Apple doesn't advertise the wifi feature anywhere from what I can tell.

Siri and a lot of local apps work but some stuff like maps only load what seems like whatever map is cached. iMessage works as will. Still super useful for walking around the house if or if you forget your phone at home.

I've been reading reviews and can't find an answer, but in power reserve, does it still measure heart rate, activity, and do anything other than display time?

SURGEdude

I've been reading reviews and can't find an answer, but in power reserve, does it still measure heart rate, activity, and do anything other than display time?

Doesn't seem like it to me. Heart rate it might do occasionally. But even powered on it only updates sparingly unless you have a workout activated. But no activity tracking at all from what I can tell in reserve.

ckohler

I tried out Shazam on Apple Watch. It's clearly a more usable function to have on my wrist versus struggling for my phone before the song or commercial ends.

PSGames

Just found out it works for some wifi functions work without having an iPhone turned on. Strange Apple doesn't advertise the wifi feature anywhere from what I can tell.

Siri and a lot of local apps work but some stuff like maps only load what seems like whatever map is cached. iMessage works as will. Still super useful for walking around the house if or if you forget your phone at home.

Probably won't start advertising this until 3rd party native apps are available.

Doesn't seem like it to me. Heart rate it might do occasionally. But even powered on it only updates sparingly unless you have a workout activated. But no activity tracking at all from what I can tell in reserve.

Right. I know the HR pings every 10 minutes unless you are in a workout, and then it is continuous. Also, in the reviews and stuff I can find, it says that in Power Reserve mode, it'll display the time and no notifications, but I couldn't find out if anything else occurs, like the haptic taps, any alarms, the 10 minute HR pinging, activity monitoring, map tapping notifications, etc. I understand not having notifications, but I would think some of the other stuff might be possible.

Battery life still seems like the biggest issue for me, as well as non-native apps. Also, stuff like Apple Pay and Passbook integration isn't that prevalent in my life (major grocery store doesn't support it, neither do any movie theaters, and I only fly a couple times a year). I need for the rest of the world to catch up. That, and I am really curious if Apple is going to do yearly updates for this thing. I can wait for version 2, but I'm a little itchy at the moment.

Thanks for everyone who is answering my somewhat outlier questions.

Sean

Banned
I use SoundHoud, any chance of that getting a Watch-native app?

SoundHound is on the watch already, just tried it and works pretty well.

qO7M9Mx.jpg

From what I can tell it uses your iPhone's microphone to pick up the song. So if you're in the kitchen listening to the radio and your phone is charging in the bedroom, it's probably not gonna pick up the song.

From what I can tell it uses your iPhone's microphone to pick up the song. So if you're in the kitchen listening to the radio and your phone is charging in the bedroom, it's probably not gonna pick up the song.
Yeah, developers can't use the watch microphone for anything but text dictation until the native SDK is released.

DarkWish

I did an unboxing/setup video of my 42mm Stainless Steel Apple Watch with Milanese Loop in case anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuSGRuFQ8dQ. I'll do a full review video in a couple of days.

So far, I am loving this thing! It looks great and it feels really nice. I like the texture of the Milanese Loop and the ease of use with adjusting the band. The display looks so nice, especially after using the Pebble. Big upgrade there. Took a little while to get used to all the buttons and swipes, and eliminating the excess apps and glances. But now, I'm liking the setup that I have. I was even interviewed by San Jose Mercury News about my Apple Watch experience, and I spoke to the reporter via my Apple Watch which was really cool.

Also, fun fact: the Apple Watch is actually a graduation gift from my parents, and Tim Cook is the commencement speaker at my graduation... so it's very fitting.

kaskade

Is there any eta on native apps? I'm guessing around iOS 9.

The watch has a really solid foundation. I can't wait to see what they improve upon in the near future.

Is there any eta on native apps? I'm guessing around iOS 9.

The watch has a really solid foundation. I can't wait to see what they improve upon in the near future.

iOS 9 is the logical bet. Everyone's assuming that Apple will announce a proper Watch SDK at WWDC.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, didn't see a single watch at the store today! I genuinely thought at least one customer would have one. It was super slow though so whatever.

May 13th seems so far away..

Did any gaffers get a steel/brown modern buckel?

My surge is like a volcano erupting when I get a notification. Fuck. I want one now.

Edit: apologies, meant to edit my above post.

ckohler

They just released an update to the iOS Skype app that adds Watch support for sending and receiving instant messages in chats!

Terrell

I wish there was more flexibility with complications.
Not counting the digital options, only the Utility and Mickey watch faces offer a complication that allows long text. I want the weather to tell me it's cloudy or raining, not just the temperature. I want to get a small rundown of my next calendar item. And I want it on more watch faces. I prefer the Simple watch face except for the layout of the complications.

Sean

Banned
So I just tried both the walking and driving directions and the way it works is actually really slick. It taps your wrist in such a way that you can easily tell if you need to make a left or right turn without even looking at the display. It also plays a subtle turn signal sound effect (like what you'd hear in your car) when it's time to make a turn. The watch vibrates when you get close to your destination (I was ~500 feet away from my apartment on the same road) and it vibrates again when you arrive. It was super accurate in my testing.

Wish I had this a week ago when I was walking all around NYC.

So I just tried both the walking and driving directions and the way it works is actually really slick. It taps your wrist in such a way that you can easily tell if you need to make a left or right turn without even looking at the display. It also plays a subtle turn signal sound effect (like what you'd hear in your car) when it's time to make a turn. The watch vibrates when you get close to your destination (I was ~500 feet away from my apartment on the same road) and it vibrates again when you arrive. It was super accurate in my testing.

Wish I had this a week ago when I was walking all around NYC.

I was actually hoping they would implement feedback for navigation that way. That will be fantastic for driving.

Also, anyone know if Apple has UPS deliver on Saturday? I recall some iPhone 6s being delivered on a Saturday.

ckohler

I was actually hoping they would implement feedback for navigation that way. That will be fantastic for driving.

Also, anyone know if Apple has UPS deliver on Saturday? I recall some iPhone 6s being delivered on a Saturday.

I don't want to get your hopes up but I did see this post on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/33r1vp/psaups_saturday_delivery/

You should at least try calling tomorrow, I guess. Just don't expect them to be there. It's possible this was just a fluke/regional thing.

Top Bottom