• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

kaskade

I'm setting mine up right now but it's really nice (space gray 42mm). I really don't see how people thought the 42 mm was too big. I have pretty small wrists for a guy. I think I measured at 170mm. I could maybe see it feeling a bit big if you aren't used to watches.

jts

...hate me...
Apple just doesn't want to commit to it being waterproof. Which is kinda ok. People get a sort of waterproof watch at their own responsibility.

Keep in mind though. One thing is when the Watch is new and fresh and well sealed from factory. After wear and tear, torsion, repairs, and whatnot, it's a whole different story. I mean if you're planning to use it for your morning swimming session. Also have in mind long term damage for moistness and exposure to non-clean water (such as chlorine or salt water).

But yeah I'm fully expecting Apple to commit in future versions, if the market grows competitive. That would be awesome. Swimming apps and whatnot.

Wereroku

Apple just doesn't want to commit to it being waterproof. Which is kinda ok. People get a sort of waterproof watch at their own responsibility.

Keep in mind though. One thing is when the Watch is new and fresh and well sealed from factory. After wear and tear, torsion, repairs, and whatnot, it's a whole different story. I mean if you're planning to use it for your morning swimming session. Also have in mind long term damage for moistness and exposure to non-clean water (such as chlorine or salt water).

But yeah I'm fully expecting Apple to commit in future versions, if the market grows competitive. That would be awesome. Swimming apps and whatnot.

Wouldn't the digital crown be the part in the way of true waterproofing? Any rotating part seems like it would be the hardest to waterproof and the most prone to damage from excessive exposure. Well and the speakers tend to be a difficult part.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
not waterproof. water resistant.

IPX7. resistant up to 1m of water for 30 minutes.

"but dude went swimming with it"

yes, as they said in the video, it is clearly more water resistant than the rating indicates.. Which is what a rating IS!!!! It is saying 1m of water for 30 minutes on occasion should not prove harmful to the watch. anything beyond that and you are playing with fire (or not...)

tl;dr don't worry about accidentally getting it wet. Though I personally would not go swimming with it (or take a shower with it). Just good to know if I accidentally forget it should be fine.

Frostburn

I'm setting mine up right now but it's really nice (space gray 42mm). I really don't see how people thought the 42 mm was too big. I have pretty small wrists for a guy. I think I measured at 170mm. I could maybe see it feeling a bit big if you aren't used to watches.

Yeah I very highly recommend people go try them on in an Apple Store. I thought I had small wrists and might favor the 38 but after trying both on there is no way I'd go with it over the 42. The 42 looks perfect when the 38 looked like I was trying to wear a woman's watch.

jts

...hate me...
Wouldn't the digital crown be the part in the way of true waterproofing? Any rotating part seems like it would be the hardest to waterproof and the most prone to damage from excessive exposure. Well and the speakers tend to be a difficult part.
I'm sure Apple has the resources to out-engineer those concerns. The speaker is already a water resistant one and watches in general have been waterproof for a long time even with rotating crowns on them.

Wereroku

I'm sure Apple has the resources to out-engineer those concerns. The speaker is already a water resistant one and watches in general have been waterproof for a long time even with rotating crowns on them.

That's a good point Apple has a lot of money to pour into that stuff. I think it's probably just a liability thing. It's probably more resistant than stated but they lower the ratings for documents to hedge their bets. Also there is probably only a small amount of the buyers than care about water resistance beyond being safe to wash your hands while wearing it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Massive phew! After a long and agonising day all our Apple Watch deliveries came just before five - SS 42mm white sport, SS 38mm white sport and a bunch of Sports 42mms with different bands.

Interestingly my and my friend,s Apple Watches which shipped yesterday morning came with UK Mail. We ordered around 08:05AM. My wife got hers via UPS, it shipped yesterday afternoon and was ordered 08:10AM.

So it seems that they literally shipped them in order, and the ones left for late pickup yesterday were sent using UPS.

So very happy!

itsbeautiful.gif

Hasney

LOL, new technology thirst is real.

I just went back to Android, and I even lurk this thread for impressions.

Heh, I'm still talking myself out of getting an LG Watch R until after Google I/O. I do love the look of that thing, but if they can get a gen 2 out with better battery, I'm down.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Guys we have computers on our wrists now, this is the future

Mindblowing to see Xe.com, British Airways, BBC and Peak on such a tiny object

BFIB

Heh, I'm still talking myself out of getting an LG Watch R until after Google I/O. I do love the look of that thing, but if they can get a gen 2 out with better battery, I'm down.

That's the boat I'm in too. I like the idea of smartwatches, but I want to give it another gen or two and see what the future holds.

Apple Watch does look to bring that forward, but even still, I'd be hesitant to jump in this year. Despite how great the watch looks.

xsarien

daedsiluap
That's the boat I'm in too. I like the idea of smartwatches, but I want to give it another gen or two and see what the future holds.

Apple Watch does look to bring that forward, but even still, I'd be hesitant to jump in this year. Despite how great the watch looks.

I was kind of on the fence until I went to the store and played with one. It's very much a second, more convenient screen for the iPhone and that's what basically sold me on it immediately.

kaskade

Alright, obviously my impressions for like 45 minutes but I like it. I don't really notice any lag besides when you aren't using native apps (which is just them loading anyway. Is it assumed that native apps will be coming in the fall with iOS9? Once those are on there I think the thing will be pretty damn solid.

Sean

Banned
CDXp4d4VEAABrai.png:large

All my tracking nightmares aside, I just got the notification that my Watch has been dropped off at the UPS Store and is waiting for me to pick it up. A few more hours and I should be setting it up.

riotous

Banned
Craigslist. Some of these entitled people are something else. I say "entitled" because most of the responses I've gotten from inquiries I made (hey, can we perhaps haggle for something less than $1100 for a sport 38mm aluminum watch) are just outright rude ("lol, no go fuck yourself"

At least I don't see people here bragging about scalping watches like you see people bragging about scalping consoles, or limited edition stuff on the gaming side (and other gaming forums.)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Wearing it wrong. Should have been on her non-dominant hand.
Heh. My response exactly. Or maybe she was holding the knife in her non dominant and wearing the watch correctly.

My wife wears her watches on her dominant hand because her dad was a lefty and thus always wore his watch on the right. She just copied him as a kid and it stuck. Cute story, but still bothers me to this day :/

I have stopped mentioning that it's wrong.

Love this thing!! 42mm sport white. Replying to texts is great, and did a workout with it as well. Looking forward to trying out Apple Pay and other features.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The whole "standing" metric on the activity app had me really concerned that I've not been standing enough in my life...and then I remembered that it'd ping you once an hour, and it wants you to do this 12 times throughout the days...not stand for 12 hours.

Watch is amazing. Some 3rd party apps aren't that bad. Dark Sky in glances is breezy. Cloud Magic loads nice and quick.

Waiting to open the wife's for when she gets home.

Definitely getting a stainless sliver next time around...hopefully my leather loop gets here sooner than later.

ckohler

Just got my 42mm Space Grey Sport. It's finishing setting up. This is my first time holding one. First impressions:

• As small as I expected it be which is to say very small
  • It's built like a rock. Very solid.
  • It weighs a lot more than I was expecting.
  • The band feels extremely premium
  • I'm wearing the large band and I was able to get it to fit in the third from last hole on my big ass wrist.
  • The strap is cumbersome to put on. Maybe I'll get better at it but I kinda wish I had a leather loop or other easier band.

Woah! It just finished installing apps and it pinged my wrist. Felt weird and the tapping was strong. Trying it out now...

RubxQub

for everyone that has theirs, how is the lag between apps from you're phone and watch?
has it been fixed since reviews?

At least with the apps I've used, it seems overstated how bad it is. Or maybe I just set my bar so low for how bad it could be, or I'm just not using any heavy apps.

Either way, nothing seems egregious so far.

...but I'm like an hour or two deep.

ckohler

for everyone that has theirs, how is the lag between apps from you're phone and watch?

Apps aren't feeling very laggy to me. The average delay is about two to three seconds when launching. Never more than that. They feel about the same as using a web app would, which is probably what they are anyway. They don't seem slow but then again I think I expected them to work this way from having seen videos, etc.

I just tried the Amazon app and was really surprised at how simple and elegant it works.

RubxQub

Random fun fact: The 38mm and 42mm watches come in different sized boxes. For some reason the 42mm watch's box is like an inch longer.

takoyaki

So far, I've only noticed a bit of sluggishness with the maps app. Other than that, it feels a lot better than what I expected after reading those first few reviews.

subrock

Just set up my space grey sport

- weight of the aluminum feels perfect
- rubber strap is fucking awesome
- still super confused about navigation
- battery is going to die hellllllla fast
- wish there was a Canadian metric setting (with lbs and inches)
- thought the crown would be clicky
- size is perfect
- charging cable is crazy long
- being able to text weird emojis to iPhones is awesome

Top Bottom