• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

So my delivery date was supposed to be today. My watch made it to the UPS distribution center that is like 30 minutes from my house. I requested a reroute to a UPS Store like 2 miles from my house since I won't be home to sign and now that they processed that change, my delivery date disappeared. I hope I'm not screwed and I don't get it until Monday because it's held up in the system somewhere.

Edit: tracking updated and it's out for delivery.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm still syncing, once I'm done I'll pop some more up. Is there anything you want to see?

it might take a while with normal usage, but I'm curious how the glances settle down. Is there a standard glance that comes up first - eg music controls or weather, or does it vary based on what you've been doing recently?

I'm sure Apple have thought it through, but the usability of glances - for me at least - would vary dramatically on whether what is relevant to me is accessible easily, and there aren't 20 pages of crap I can shuffle through.

Garou

Got my Watch today. A really nice device, raising your wrist and saying something like "Hey Siri, stop the music" without pressing a single button is some Tony Stark-shit.

One little annoyance I found is that you cannot freely choose your input-language for Voice-to-Text, I think it chooses the most recent Keyboard you used on the iPhone, but I am not sure. That need some work if someone is using 3 different language-keyboards throughout the day.

So my delivery date was supposed to be today. My watch made it to the UPS distribution center that is like 30 minutes from my house. I requested a reroute to a UPS Store like 2 miles from my house since I won't be home to sign and now that they processed that change, my delivery date disappeared. I hope I'm not screwed and I don't get it until Monday because it's held up in the system somewhere.

I hear stories that rerouting can delay it. Hopefully that isn't the case.

I am 40 minutes away from were my watch is currently sitting and I probably won't get it until Monday.

I hear stories that rerouting can delay it. Hopefully that isn't the case.

I am 40 minutes away from were my watch is currently sitting and I probably won't get it until Monday.

I just got an update that it's out for delivery to the UPS Store so I'm good. Fingers crossed that you see some last minute movement and yours gets to you today.

Edit: And now the deliver date disappeared again. I'm not feeling confident that I'm going to see my Watch today anymore.

One little annoyance I found is that you cannot freely choose your input-language for Voice-to-Text, I think it chooses the most recent Keyboard you used on the iPhone, but I am not sure. That need some work if someone is using 3 different language-keyboards throughout the day.

Ugh, really? Hope not that'll be annoying.

I just got an update that it's out for delivery to the UPS Store so I'm good. Fingers crossed that you see some last minute movement and yours gets to you today.

Edit: And now the deliver date disappeared again. I'm not feeling confident that I'm going to see my Watch today anymore.

I recall people getting iPhones without their UPS tracking information updating at all. It's not a perfect system.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
One cool thing though, is that you can set the Watch for any wrist and still have the crown on any side independently.

Acac07Y.png

this is very cool. I'll wear it left, but it always drove me nuts seeing people wearing it like the above picture on the right.. mostly because you couldn't wear a normal watch like that (it would be flipped). I guess not giving your hand the ability to cover the screen... but it still looks super awkward..

crowns are on the right :p

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Some 3rd party apps. Apologies for the hairy wrist - maybe I should get a darker band :)

Just Eat displays your orders and gives you notifications on when your food is on it's way
HmvIQEa.jpg

Powerpoint can remotely control your slides on your iDevice, gives you duration as well. Bit hard to demo this as it requires Powerpoint to be open to work, but it did exactly what it says.
TPEnQ7n.jpg

Starbucks shows you your reward level, nearest store and you can pay with your Starbucks card
g9hxPRq.jpg

Strava is what I was hoping for, being able to start recording my rides without getting my phone out.
LlnaR2b.jpg

When you glance up, it remembers which one you had last. I'm just fiddling around at the moment so it'll take some time to set up how I want the watch to work. The leftmost Glance is your control panel.
RzY0fKx.jpg

rukxUCY.jpg

Oh I did!

Some apps do take a while to sync which is disappointing, but once they're cached they're a bit quicker - native apps can't come soon enough.

Hasney

Not getting a smartwatch. Last thing my housemate and I need is more things that make it easier to order from just eat.

I am really curious to hear about using maps and GPS phone connectivity on this thing.

Also, how responsive are the third party apps? I wonder if this is running on newer firmware than the reviews.

Bus route app impressions would be appreciated as well.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Haha that's what I thought when I saw it, but you can't order from the watch... yet!

∙ Quickly see the delivery time for your order
∙ Get directions if you're picking up your order
∙ View your order summary

Speed of 3rd Party apps varies, Twitter takes a couple of seconds to pop up, Strava about 7, Starbucks about 10. Maps on first launch took a long time to locate me, but I just tried it again and it was almost instant.

kaskade

Gaf, I had a dream (nightmare moreso) that for whatever reason my credit card was being declined so they wouldn't deliver it. As I tried to change the info it was all these weird arbitrary steps that wasn't letting me before it would get here. I was so relieved when I woke up. I had to check my phone make and make sure it was out for delivery when I woke up.

Glad to see some deliveries though. Hopefully mine will be here in a few hours if I'm on the shorter route today.

Hasney

Haha that's what I thought when I saw it, but you can't order from the watch... yet!

∙ Quickly see the delivery time for your order
∙ Get directions if you're picking up your order
∙ View your order summary

Speed of 3rd Party apps varies, Twitter takes a couple of seconds to pop up, Strava about 7, Starbucks about 10. Maps on first launch took a long time to locate me, but I just tried it again and it was almost instant.

Ah that's pretty neat actually then, especially as I usually get texts asking where the food is when it's been a little while. Save me digging around for the email.

Hey guys, having some horrible luck today... apparently we're getting road work done on our street and the street is going to be closed... Have any of you ever had experience with dropping off at a UPS location? Will they do it by today, or will I have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up?

Frostburn

I was kinda hell bent on the Sport, but that Stainless with classic leather buckle sure looks good...
$350 dollar difference, which is a shame because I agree with you. Stainless with the classic looks and feels really nice *One of the ones I tried on in store was stainless with black leather buckle.

It's here! So much better than I thought it would be. Went for the 38mm Apple Watch with the Milanese loop. Tracked my workout at the gym and two friends have already sent their heartbeat (that's a feature that'll grow old quickly). Additionally, there's already an app for checking on my car to see its charge (it needs plugging in!), find it on a map, flash the lights and mess with the internal temperature!

bennWKV.jpg

Frostburn

It's here! So much better than I thought it would be. Went for the 38mm Apple Watch with the Milanese loop. Tracked my workout at the gym and two friends have already sent their heartbeat (that's a feature that'll grow old quickly). Additionally, there's already an app for checking on my car to see its charge (it needs plugging in!), find it on a map, flash the lights and mess with the internal temperature!

bennWKV.jpg

You are living the future man! Congrats, watch looks great!

bennWKV.jpg

That's a reassuring pic. I keep having this ridiculous thought that I have a small chiclet strapped around my rist with the 38mm. It looks plenty big enough and dare I say perfect.

Ambient80

You should see his iPhone he accidentally left in his shorts.
No, I don't think that happened, but I would laugh

I've done that before >.<

"Yay, swimming!!" *jump in pool* "....FUCK!"

TurtleSnatcher said:
Any band works with everything. The clasps just may not match in finish.

An addendum, if you will: They also have to be from the same size watch face, yes? A 42 mm band won't fit a 38, and vice versa. Just in case that other person didn't know.

Kinan

bennWKV.jpg

What car is that, if I may ask?

What car is that, if I may ask?

It's the BMW i3, a carbon fiber electric car (although I opted for the range extender version which has a tiny petrol generator). A bit ugly on the outside but amazing inside.

WymvUan.jpg
aX42vE1.jpg

Your avatar is perfect lol.
Haha, thankfully I've only seen the spinning wheel once today. The loading speeds are much improved over the video reviews from a couple of weeks back.

Phreaker

That's a reassuring pic. I keep having this ridiculous thought that I have a small chiclet strapped around my rist with the 38mm. It looks plenty big enough and dare I say perfect.

Haha, I have the opposite fear, that I am going to have a big ol slab of glass on my wrist (42mm). Since my shit hasn't even shipped maybe I should go try one on.

Haha, I have the opposite fear, that I am going to have a big ol slab of glass on my wrist (42mm). Since my shit hasn't even shipped maybe I should go try one on.

I've seen both in person. The 42mm isn't 'much' bigger. I think it will be fine for you most likely. It's just irrational fear from buying something expensive without really trying it.

38mm looks tiny to me in person; it truly is about your wrist size.

Lot of small wrists here from what I can gather.

I agree with you about the 38mm, and my wrist is super tiny. That said, I'm coming from a Zenwatch and Moto 360, which looked absurd on my wirst.

To be fair, the 38mm is also great at not looking like a smarwatch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They aren't but the water resistance rating it has in theory means it should be ok in a pool?

I don't really get the difference between submerging something a few feet in a pool and using it in a shower. In a shower or when washing your hands the thing is going to have every surface covered in water, just like swimming?

They should really have gone that one extra step and had it properly IP certified for swimming though - there are no open ports so no real excuse.

edit: Hold on, seems like it is is IPx7 rated, so submersion up to 1m for 30 minutes? That should be fine then, although they are usually based on fresh water, chlorine should be ok if they rinse it afterwards.

Got my white 38 sport today and took it out for a run, it is pretty accurate at tracking distance without my phone connected, even on its first time. The heart beat monitor said I got up to 192 bpm, so I am pretty unfit it would seem.

Top Bottom