• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Shearie

So, update.

My coworker ordered his Apple Watch this past Friday. 5 days ago. He just got it today. Wore it to work.

Mine, ordered at 12:30am on April 10th, is still processing for a "May 29 - June 11" delivery window.

What the fuck?

Like, it's not a big deal, I've lived this long without an Apple Watch and I'm sure I'll continue to live just fine until I get it but that seems kinda fucked up to me that they aren't fulfilling opening day preorders before people getting on the bandwagon 2-3 weeks later.

What model did they order?

Animal

Banned
I ordered a 42mm sport blue on Friday afternoon and it will be in my hands tomorrow morning. I did not think it was going to come so soon. I was expecting to wait more than a month.

Adapters? Will they just let you use 38mm with 42mm and vice versa or what?

No, adapters for using standard watchbands with the Watch. Given that every band except the modern buckle is sold in both variants, I doubt anyone will ever bother releasing something that lets 38mm bands be used with 42mm Watches and vice versa.

Regarding the modern buckle only being 38mm, I really love the way it functions and think that it looks pretty great, but it realistically won't fit most people who have wrists that fit the 42mm Watch.

what's the most unpopular model so i can order it and have it in a week =D

38mm Sport with the blue and green band have been shipping pretty quickly for most people, but it also depends on what state/country you live in. Australia and Japan have been getting a pretty large selection of the Watch sooner than the rest of the world so far.

Basically 38mm Sport ships the soonest, then some of the 42mm Sport's. Everything else is stuck in limbo at the moment.

So, update.

My coworker ordered his Apple Watch this past Friday. 5 days ago. He just got it today. Wore it to work.

Mine, ordered at 12:30am on April 10th, is still processing for a "May 29 - June 11" delivery window.

What the fuck?

Like, it's not a big deal, I've lived this long without an Apple Watch and I'm sure I'll continue to live just fine until I get it but that seems kinda fucked up to me that they aren't fulfilling opening day preorders before people getting on the bandwagon 2-3 weeks later.

What model did he order and what did you order? That's the difference

DTU

Banned
I'm glad that everyone's finding out what us Android Wear users have known: smart watches are awesome. They just get better with use! If you're on the fence, just wear it for a week or two, then go without it for a day, then realize how much you miss it.

I think it would have been pretty awkward for Best Buy to not support it, yet have micro Apple Stores inside most of their buildings. Just need Walmart and Target to get on board.

I awkwardly tried to use Apple Pay at Target a few days ago because the Verifone terminals they have support NFC, but nothing. I knew they didn't officially support it but oh well.

I'm probably not going to shop anywhere that doesn't accept Apple Pay at this point.

bms2993

Banned
I ordered a 42mm sport blue on Friday afternoon and it will be in my hands tomorrow morning. I did not think it was going to come so soon. I was expecting to wait more than a month.

Enjoy it! I actually am swapping bands on my green sport watch to a black one. They won't let me do it because black isn't part of the collection I have, but I'll use eBay instead. :p

Animal

Banned
Enjoy it! I actually am swapping bands on my green sport watch to a black one. They won't let me do it because black isn't part of the collection I have, but I'll use eBay instead. :p

I will be doing the same but I plan to just walk into an Apple store and buy one. I hope that is possible.

SuperPac

cjwatch.JPG

42mm stainless steel with black sport band. The sport band is comfortable, though does seem to get a little sweaty. I have not worn a watch in 12+ years, so this will take some getting used to again.

• Would like to turn off the sound alert for standing up (seems like only muting everything would do the trick)
• Snoozing calendar alerts doesn't seem to work
• As others have said already, most apps I tried loaded a lot quicker than the first reviews indicated though navigation inside them is sometimes slow.
• I'm not used to using Siri to do things like compose messages yet.
• Ended up turning most notifications from the phone off, especially those with apps that are not actionable on the watch (like AIM).
• Glances don't update quickly, and I decided it was best to try and pare those down to an essential 6-8.
• Digital touch is a little odd. Sometimes drawing on it works right away, other times it seems laggy. Same when receiving touches, especially if there are multiple in a row. It's a bit confusing.
• Email doesn't seem to sync as fast as it should. I'll look at it on the phone then hop to the watch and it's 15-30 minutes behind and takes 5-10 seconds to register new messages have arrived.

Lots of stuff to improve upon, but quite a nice 1.0 package so far.

I went to our flagship store, they had like 50 on display and drawersful of demos.

Yeah, same here. Got to try a bunch on, look at the bands and the colors, play with the demo, etc.

It seems really cool, but I'm torn on if I want to drop the cash on this one or wait for the big step up that will be the G2 in a year

Ninja Dom

They offer financing through Barclaycard, which is tied into their Apple Rewards program.

No interest if paid in full (within your allotted time). Since I spent under $500, if I pay it off within 6 months, there's zero interest. Spending over $500 is 12 months, $1000 is 18 months IIRC.

That sounds like a much better finance option than what Apple give in the UK.

Someone Twitter mentioned that they were able to sign it at the gym with their watch. How does that happen?

I am somewhat curious about the product.

Xcellere

I am a dirty, dirty consumer whore. I've had no interest in the Watch since it was announced. None whatsoever.

Out of curiosity's sake, I made an appointment to try on the 38mm Milanese SS.

I fell in love with it. I subsequently ordered one for my wife and one for myself.

I am a dirty, dirty consumer whore.

Edit: As an aside, I really want to see how the health features of the Watch evolve over time into a device that actually makes you take control of your health, e.g. blood pressure, cholesterol levels, all sorts of crazy shit.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Our Watch should be arriving at the office around lunch tomorrow. The new pool table should be here tomorrow too.

Great day for new toys at PikPok. Though 1 Watch between 80 of us is going to be troublesome.

jts

...hate me...
Not buying it. How did her battery die in the morning?
What the hell?
Our Watch should be arriving at the office around lunch tomorrow. The new pool table should be here tomorrow too.

Great day for new toys at PikPok. Though 1 Watch between 80 of us is going to be troublesome.
Will you guys update Flick Kick Football for the Watch?

That's one game I still fire up once in a while to this day haha.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Will you guys update Flick Kick Football for the Watch?

That's one game I still fire up once in a while to this day haha.

We have a full game coming to Watch, but it isn't in the Flick Kick series.

I wanted to make a Flick Kick game as soon as the Watch was announced, and was really disappointed once the input limitations became apparent and a true flicking style game wasn't going to be possible, at least in the short term.

Possible we update Flick Kick Football Legends and/or Rival Stars Basketball for the Watch with some kind of small companion app or something that gives you additional resources. Not sure we'd do something for the vanilla Flick Kick Football though - can't think of anything offhand that makes sense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What is the granularity like for controlling notifications and glances?

Eg can you have phone & watch notifications set differently, and are glances independent of that? I can imagine having weather as a glance but I wouldn't want notifications for it. Or can you have notifications unique to the phone or watch (or are watch notifications only allowed to be a subset of phone notifications)?

I don't think the glance list is circular, so can you arrange it so you have some to the left and some to the right of the point where you swipe up?

jts

...hate me...
We have a full game coming to Watch, but it isn't in the Flick Kick series.

I wanted to make a Flick Kick game as soon as the Watch was announced, and was really disappointed once the input limitations became apparent and a true flicking style game wasn't going to be possible, at least in the short term.

Possible we update Flick Kick Football Legends and/or Rival Stars Basketball for the Watch with some kind of small companion app or something that gives you additional resources. Not sure we'd do something for the vanilla Flick Kick Football though - can't think of anything offhand that makes sense.
That's understandable. I actually don't see myself playing much at all on the Apple Watch, unless for occasions when the iPhone is out of reach or inconvenient to reach, and I absolutely need to kill a few minutes. But will keep an eye on what you will come up with.

I bought Lifeline to play on the watch (if and when it ever arrives). Got bored of waiting to play it so gave it a go... killed the dude within an hour lol. Don't rely on my advice in a life or death scenario, people.
Still, looking forward to playing this on the watch HURRY UP JUNE JEEZUZ WTF.

Eg can you have phone & watch notifications set differently, and are glances independent of that? I can imagine having weather as a glance but I wouldn't want notifications for it. Or can you have notifications unique to the phone or watch (or are watch notifications only allowed to be a subset of phone notifications)?

I don't think the glance list is circular, so can you arrange it so you have some to the left and some to the right of the point where you swipe up?

Glances are completely separate from notifications and you can pretty deeply modify how the notifications themselves work. So yes, you could have a Weather Glance set up but not receive notifications from Weather (although I'm not sure in what context Weather notifies you of something).

I love my Watch incessantly buzzing though, so I kind of just opened the floodgates. Every app I currently use has all of the notifications allowed.

Fox1304

Ours arrived today. Waiting for the first sync to test our first app on it. Exciting times :)

Mitch

Banned
Passbook and Apple Pay will be my two most used apps outside of Fitness. I just wish Kroger would update their self checkout lines with the new readers.

SuperPac

Eg can you have phone & watch notifications set differently, and are glances independent of that?

Yes, though as mentioned above Glances are separate. For notifications you can get pretty granular depending on the app. For things like Apple's built-in apps, you can mirror your iPhone settings or get more specific. Mail lets you mirror your iPhone settings, designate what accounts get alerts on the watch, separate out VIPs and thread notifications. Same with Calendar - you can mirror your iPhone settings, choose to get/not get invite notifications or responses. And you can go app by app and decide which notifications you get on the phone also go through to the watch (or if those just stay on the phone). For instance, I have AIM set to off on the watch, but the notifications still buzz my phone.

I can imagine having weather as a glance but I wouldn't want notifications for it. Or can you have notifications unique to the phone or watch (or are watch notifications only allowed to be a subset of phone notifications)?

It's both, in a way - you can have notifications unique to the phone or watch for Apple's apps. Then for any other app that allows notifications you can let all through or just a subset. If you let a notification go both places and you have the watch on, it only buzzes the watch though it'll be in notification center on both until it's dismissed.

Glances doesn't even act quite like Notification Center on the iPhone. For instance, the Deliveries delivery status app - on the phone if there are no deliveries scheduled the widget itself doesn't show in notification center. If it's a Glance, even if it has no information it still shows up in the list.

As far as I can tell, you can arrange the list, but where you swipe up is wherever you were last. That's why I pared it down to like 6-8 most important glances instead of letting everything show up there.

bms2993

Banned
Well, had no problem selling my green sport band for fifty dollars on eBay. That's incredible. I literally got all my money back.

How are they set up on your phone?

All the notification settings are toggled to on.

Honestly, I am not sure if I remember them giving me vibrations on their.

Seems odd.

Passbook and Apple Pay will be my two most used apps outside of Fitness. I just wish Kroger would update their self checkout lines with the new readers.

Hearing the US talk about Apple Pay makes me jealous. Also, I only have two points cards that work with Passbook.

Woot, I'm finally gonna have my Apple Watch on Friday! I'll be able to see my released watch app work, and then continue working on my game dev research.

Unfortunately, I had to switch from the sweet, sweet Space Black Stainless Steel as life made it a point to tell me I shouldn't spend $1100 on a watch. So I'm gonna have a normal 42mm Stainless Steel with Classic Buckle leather band.

Top Bottom