• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

f@luS

More than a member.
I'm sending my sport black back to Apple. Was a fun gadget but just a gadget. I can understand for people having normal watches but I just can't wear it instead of my few luxury watches.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ha, my wife's 38mm milanese loop just shipped and my 42mm link bracelet is preparing for shipment finally. Bye sports band!

I have to say, the possibilities for the health tracking are pretty cool. It's not always easy to find this info, but now I have an idea where cycling is in the iphone's Health app and I made it a dashboard setting.

I play alot of basketball, so it would be nice to get a band (third party) that does really nothing but record data with as little visuals as possible. It would need to be soft and shock absorbant so it doesn't hurt other players. Then again, some of these people don't cut their nails and that can hurt plenty. This would likely be a fitbit product, but people might go nuts and try to play contact football with it.

tmdorsey

To above posters, yes. I had 3 orders on the 10th. No movement.

Made one yeaterday for the 38mm/SS/classic buckle. Charged and shipped.

When you order off the store now, that model has a 2-3 week timeline. Got the idea of ordering it after bms' posts yesterday.

Edit: DW, i had that same model preordered on the 10th.

There is no rhyme or reason to all this.

Hmm this has me tempted to redo my order from the 19th to see if it ships faster. I'm actually surprised I haven't seen any movement on my June ship date because it didn't seem like the 42mm SS leather loop was that popular.

finalflame

Man, so crazy to think I've been wearing my Apple Watch since launch day and there are people here still waiting. I hadn't worn a watch before this in over 10 years, and now I can't imagine my day-to-day without it. It's really a neat piece of tech.

Nori Chan

Man, so crazy to think I've been wearing my Apple Watch since launch day and there are people here still waiting. I hadn't worn a watch before this in over 10 years, and now I can't imagine my day-to-day without it. It's really a neat piece of tech.
Do you mind explaining what you mean by that? I'm on the fence myself and I'd like to be persuaded :) lol

Unfortunately I wasn't convinced to get an Apple Watch by any of the pro reviews, it wasn't until the user feedback starting coming out that I was convinced, then I got a Sport 42mm on the 24th, then switched to SS 42mm on the 30th, now I'm waiting till June. The wait it annoying but I won't care once it arrives.

finalflame

Do you mind explaining what you mean by that? I'm on the fence myself and I'd like to be persuaded :) lol

Well, it's definitely not anything revolutionary. As in, by itself, the Apple Watch is not particularly impressive. It's how you start getting used to it being a natural extension of your phone and, therefore, most of your happenings.

For me, I start my day with a 10ish mile bike ride, so the Apple Watch's activity tracker is going from the moment I get my day started. I love tracking my activity and having an at a glance way to check my current heart rate, distance, pace, etc.

After that, I get home and take a shower to get ready for work. Apple Watch stays on my wrist, and if I get any notifications while I'm in there I'm able to quickly have a glance at them and also control the songs that are streaming on my iTunes Radio. Out of the shower I can quickly check my watch for any upcoming meetings or things I got booked for that I hadn't noticed the day prior (my company uses Exchange Server for calendars and email, so everything gets pushed to me).

I then can go about getting reading, checking the forecast for the day while I choose what to wear (living in the South Bay, it can be chilly in the morning but in the 80s into the afternoon). Finally I finish getting ready, pick up my backpack, and start on my 25 minute walk to work. Usually at some point during this time I get my notification that I've met about half of my Move goal for the day.

At work, it's a great way to glance at notifications if I'm in a meeting and someone else pings me about something, and also a nifty reminder of upcoming calendar events for the day if I happen to be distracted or miss the notification on my computer. Generally speaking, It is also quite useful when using maps for navigation. Lunch time? Long press the crown and ask "Siri, where is there Indian food nearby?", get a list of indian places with ratings, and head off with some co-workers.

There are other places I've loved having it too. At a glance I can tell how I'm doing for exercise, move, and standing goals for the day (it's on my watch face and these metrics are important to me as I'm trying to get in better shape).

And that's just my particular use case. As you'll notice, there's really not much my phone couldn't do. But pretty much throughout the entire day my phone is put away or in my pocket. Having all these things right on your wrist just a glance away kind of changes the game. To me, it gives me less of a feeling that I am actively engaged with a device when checking/doing certain routine things, and more of a feeling that my Watch is a passive accessory, a helper in my day to day.

It'll all depend on how you currently use your iPhone daily. For some, the Watch will be a nice addition. For others, it might be useless. For example, for me, the Apple Pay feature is virtually useless since nowhere I frequent accepts Apple Pay. It's a shame, as I think it would be cool to use.

Anyways, yah, it's not a groundbreaking device, but if your life is already pretty well integrated into the Apple ecosystem, the Watch seems like a nice natural extension of that. I personally haven't even gotten into using third party apps much, but I'm sure over time some really great ones will come out/get better integrated as well.

Oh, not to mention that battery life is perfect for daily use. Unless you're power using your Watch all day, which in my view is not the intended purpose, it'll easily last you until bed time. I get up around 6 and sleep around 12, and I've yet to put my Apple Watch on its charger below 25% battery life. And I get notifications and use it for random shit all day. I'm just sensible: if something is better done directly on my phone, I'll just pull it out. Mostly what I'm doing with my watch is taking a glance at it, maybe taking 1-2 quick actions or checking things, and putting it back away. I'm not gonna try to check email on my watch when I'm sitting in front of my computer, or use my Watch for iMessage when it's open on my desktop.

Oh, it's also pretty good at telling time.

Unfortunately I wasn't convinced to get an Apple Watch by any of the pro reviews, it wasn't until the user feedback starting coming out that I was convinced, then I got a Sport 42mm on the 24th, then switched to SS 42mm on the 30th, now I'm waiting till June. The wait it annoying but I won't care once it arrives.

It'll be worth the wait! Godspeed.

Just got charged for my 42mm Space Grey Black Sport Band. Ordered at 2:07am CT. Preparing for shipment now.

I already have a Stainless Steel with leather band one. Not sure if I will keep the Sport one as I'm liking the stainless steel one, honestly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, it's definitely not anything revolutionary. As in, by itself, the Apple Watch is not particularly impressive. It's how you start getting used to it being a natural extension of your phone and, therefore, most of your happenings.

Snip..

Nice impressions. I think it has the potential to be that device that surfaces enough information that you need, easily and always with you. So rather than being engaged with a device to retrieve information, you can passively be aware of it and be less conciously manipulating technology.

I realise you are still engaging with the watch, but it doesn't feel the same. Also you don't then get distracted to start browsing on your phone etc.

Curious about your specific use case though - if you are serious about your fitness, have you tried fitness bands, or cycle computers etc? I'm honestly a bit bewildered about the apple watch's fitness usage - it doesn't honestly seem to do anything the iPhone 5S shouldn't have bee able to do other than heart rate - it could do step count, use GPS to track distance, calculate approximate calories from those two things, sync with fitness bands/heartrate straps if you need that data.

Is it really just the gasification on the apple app that makes it work for you and others? Or maybe the combination of having fitness info combined with a watxh that is usable throughout the day?

Just got charged for my 42mm Space Grey Black Sport Band. Ordered at 2:07am CT. Preparing for shipment now.

I already have a Stainless Steel with leather band one. Not sure if I will keep the Sport one as I'm liking the stainless steel one, honestly.

I guess for those that exercise.. Do you have a Stainless Steel one? Is it a burden compared to the sport one, or not really?

Stainless steel one doesn't feel heavy to me.

Consumer reports has a video and more info on their testing of Apple Watch and smart watches in general:

In the end, our top-rated smartwatch is the stainless-steel Apple Watch. Its performance on the scratch-resistance test and excellent scores for ease of pairing and ease of interaction make it our top choice. Not an iPhone user? Not to worry, several Android-compatible models and one multi-OS-compatible smartwatch got very good overall scores as well.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...n-consumer-reports-smartwatch-tests/index.htm

Mitch

Banned
I have to sit around home all day to make sure i can sign for my delivery today.

Coincidentally, after my order from two days ago shipped, my three April 10th orders were charged to my account simulatenously and are set to arrive on Friday.
That's good. You've been extremely patient.

Thankfully I have mine set to ship to my place of work, where I handle shipping & receiving. So I'll be here when it eventually arrives.

For those looking for more places that take ApplePay, take a look at the MasterCard Contactless Payment locator:

http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-services/paypass-locator.html

I've found twice the number of businesses here that take Apple Pay over the 'official' Apple Pay vendors. If it works for MasterCard Contactless Payment, it works for Apple Pay.

Try it out. One of my favorite places for breakfast and lunch, Whataburger, supports Apple Pay in the location nearby.

Awesome, thanks for the info (fellow texan?). I was getting tired of playing the Apple Pay guessing game (had one embrassing moment at an HEB).

Fellow Texan. We need an app for apple pay locator that combines official apple pay, MC contactless payment, and any other service that works.

In the same boat for guessing.

CEVOEZjW0AAi93F.png:large

Looks like instore pick up might be available soon.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/06/apple-watch-coming-soon-store/

For those looking for more places that take ApplePay, take a look at the MasterCard Contactless Payment locator:

http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-services/paypass-locator.html

I've found twice the number of businesses here that take Apple Pay over the 'official' Apple Pay vendors. If it works for MasterCard Contactless Payment, it works for Apple Pay.

Try it out. One of my favorite places for breakfast and lunch, Whataburger, supports Apple Pay in the location nearby.

I would note that some MCX retailers are on here that will not take Apple Pay and reject it.

Owari

Another day goes by with no sign of the Link Bracelet watch. Apple's priorities are are ridiculous. Why would they send out the bracelet before the watch? Such a notoriously awful launch.

Blackhead

Redarse
I think I'm starting to feel phantom wrist taps. I guess the device is finally wired into my brain.

? How often do you miss wrist taps? Phantom wrist taps shouldn't be a thing unless the brain doesn't trust that you've gotten all your notifications.

kaskade

I actually think the phantom wrist taps were just from me leaning my wrist on the table and the rubber slipping a bit. Kind of felt like a tap.

I can't help but wonder when my 42 black sport will ship. Still says June and I ordered well after you midnight release guys but I still check a few times everyday. Fighting the urge to go for a 38.

riotous

Banned
The wrist tap is so distinctive to me I don't think I'll ever have phantom taps.

I can barely feel legit phone vibrations at times when my phone is in my pocket, that's the inky reason I sometimes think I've felt my phone vibrate.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Okay, I made up my mind. I'm going to get a Monowear leather band, and flip my sport band on eBay. Now, to decide on a color. I'm leaning towards red, but black also looks good.

EDIT: Went with black.

Juice

I think it wants you to move around too. Are you doing that?

I stand all fucking day long at a standing desk. The stand notifications I receive WHILE I AM ALREADY STANDING drive me nuts.

I was so excited to figure out how they were determining I was sitting. Turns out they didn't.

Kito

I think it wants you to move around too. Are you doing that?

Of course.

Hmm. Activity recorded 3 stands on my first day with the watch and thereafter recorded 0 stands everyday. Also, I never get stand reminders. Does disabling Wrist Detection have anything to do with it?

Voidance

Some movement on my watch: the date changed from USA format of June 4 - June 17 to the international (and logical) format of 04 Jun, 2015 - 17 Jun, 2015. Not sure what that's about, but at least I know Apple is thinking of me. :^P

Top Bottom