• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

subrock

Of course.

Hmm. Activity recorded 3 stands on my first day with the watch and thereafter recorded 0 stands everyday. Also, I never get stand reminders. Does disabling Wrist Detection have anything to do with it?
I think it mentions when you turn off wrist raise that some health functions will be unavailable. Maybe this is one of those things.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I had to call Apple support today because I got a new debit card and my preorder was on my old card.

Well, after talking to the lady and getting my new card number on the preorder she made some hint that "my order status might be changing very soon" (I'm may13th-27th) which kinda pissed me off to be honest. It might be? Shove off. Don't tease me. -_-

btkadams

Finally picked mine up from the local UPS store today and messed around with it a bit tonight. Cool tech! It certainly doesn't feel cheap (42mm steel with Milanese loop). It's very slick.

DarkJC

I stand all fucking day long at a standing desk. The stand notifications I receive WHILE I AM ALREADY STANDING drive me nuts.

I was so excited to figure out how they were determining I was sitting. Turns out they didn't.

It's not just about standing, it's about moving around. It's not good to just stand in the same position all day either.

riotous

Banned
Most of my standing notifications come moments after I sat down after walking around.

Really a worthless feature.

I've never actually stood when it told me to.. and sometimes go hours without standing.. but at the end of every day since I've been wearing the watch I have "12 out of 12 hours" standing activity.

Most of my standing notifications come moments after I sat down after walking around.

Really a worthless feature.

I've never actually stood when it told me to.. and sometimes go hours without standing.. but at the end of every day since I've been wearing the watch I have "12 out of 12 hours" standing activity.

It's been working pretty flawlessly for me so far, but I've only had a Watch for about 9 days, and that time was split between my original 42mm Sport and my new 38mm Watch. It's never prompted me to move while I'm standing, and the "stand" notification only shows up after I've been sitting for an extended period.

I don't always stand when it suggests, although I've been trying to. That said, I do spend most of the day standing already due to my class and work schedule, so 12 hours is pretty easy to hit.

I can't help but wonder when my 42 black sport will ship. Still says June and I ordered well after you midnight release guys but I still check a few times everyday. Fighting the urge to go for a 38.

I'd say wait. I caved and bought a 38mm SS, and it's shockingly tiny on my 160mm wrists. It took about two days of using it to get past how small it looked to me, and although I've warmed to it I'm still seriously considering returning it. Also, not related to the size, but the second "friends" dedicated button is super loose in it's housing, which I'm definitely not ok with given the price.

riotous

Banned
Well, there are 24 hours in a day, so going hours without standing doesn't really mean anything...

I suppose that's possible. Just seems really off how often it asks me to stand after I've been walking around. Almost every time I've noticed it I was just up walking around.

Zee-Row

Banned
I wanna get this just to compliment my 6 Plus but I think i'll wait until Gen 2. I'm not really a watch guy and this doesn't have that killer app for me that makes me need this.

Glad to see you finally got hold of a watch, Earthworm Jim.

I'm still hanging in there with my original pre-order (42mm Space Gray). Hopefully by the end of next week I'll finally have the damn thing.

I'm still curious to hear about any games on the watch.

1) I need to find a decent priced bluetooth earbuds for this. Anyone using any currently?

I recently ordered these on Amazon after reading up a while about a good pair of bluetooth headphones: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AIRUOI8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They're not the cheapest out there but they seem to be the best in its league. Don't know for sure since I'm still waiting on them but I've gone through this research process on headphones before and haven't really been let down yet. I'm a sucker for finding the best headphones for the cheapest price. I still swear by the Klipsch Image S4 -II but I'm sad I won't be able to use them with the watch. There might be pretty good bluetooth buds under 80$ but someone else should chime in if they know.

I'm still hanging in there with my original pre-order (42mm Space Gray). Hopefully by the end of next week I'll finally have the damn thing.

I recently ordered these on Amazon after reading up a while about a good pair of bluetooth headphones: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AIRUOI8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They're not the cheapest out there but they seem to be the best in its league. Don't know for sure since I'm still waiting on them but I've gone through this research process on headphones before and haven't really been let down yet. I'm a sucker for finding the best headphones for the cheapest price. I still swear by the Klipsch Image S4 -II but I'm sad I won't be able to use them with the watch. There might be pretty good bluetooth buds under 80$ but someone else should chime in if they know.

I have those and they're great. It feels just like wearing regular ear buds.

How are they for working out? I've found that sweat has been a silent killer for a lot of earbuds.

One of the reviewers on the Amazon page for them recommended these tips if that's a concern: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BN3QRE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They apparently fit perfectly and give more bass for those looking for it. I've used very similar foam buds on a different pair and they really do stay in very well. As with any in-ear headphones, a good seal is paramount.

Voidance

I had the Jaybirds for a few weeks and found I could not get a good fit no matter what tip or combination of tips I used. They would constantly fall out of my ears during a workout, so I had to send them back. When they stayed in, however, the sound quality was excellent.

I had the Jaybirds for a few weeks and found I could not get a good fit no matter what tip or combination of tips I used. They would constantly fall out of my ears during a workout, so I had to send them back. When they stayed in, however, the sound quality was excellent.

See my post above for a possible solution to this.

*Edit* Just noticed you said "no matter which tip" so apologies if you've already tried this. That IS one of the most annoying things about purchasing in-ear headphones. It's impossible to know if they fit or not until you've already bought them.

I remember reading a story a couple weeks ago about Apple maybe looking into allowing you to try on headphones in their stores (and have them with disposable or cleanable tips for cleanliness) but I don't typically like the brands that Apple decides to stock with this stuff.

This is probably what I'll get for the Apple Watch, regarding bluetooth headphones:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C1CGZT0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cheap, probably not too shabby, and plug whatever headphones I have.

I dunno, it's pretty small, so that's good, but may as well just bring your phone along and plug into that. Apple watch can control the music. I mean you're wired either way.

Will invest in some bluetooth headphones for exercise after doing the research.

jts

...hate me...
I dunno, it's pretty small, so that's good, but may as well just bring your phone along and plug into that. Apple watch can control the music. I mean you're wired either way.

Will invest in some bluetooth headphones for exercise after doing the research.

It's a small clip akin to an iPod shuffle, except it streams the music from your Watch. I know people that run with their iPod shuffle and leave the phone at home, because the phone is cumbersome and needs a band or something. The 6+ even worse. A small clip-on thing is mindless.

Biggest inconvenience in these things imo is yet another item to keep charged, and that will be always be the case with bluetooth. I don't mind the wire at all. Would only bother me if it had to run all the way from the wrist.

Some random thoughts on the watch after having one since yesterday (42mm, SS, Black Sport)

- Box was huge and heavy, thought it would be smaller. Nice packaging though.
- hardware is very nice, has a nice weight to it.
- sport band is nice but either slightly too loose or slightly too tight. I'm going with too loose, pre-ordered a leather loop so that should be here soon.

- Even though i've watched a ton of vids on the watch still struggled to figure out what was where and navigate around (should've read the guide). Double tap on the crown to go back and forth is a life saver.
- You can make reminders with Siri, but there's no reminders app???
- Nice surprise when i got notifications on the watch for things i didn't have apps for (FB, LinkedIn). Thought you had to have an app installed for notifications.
- Camera view finder works really well and will be useful when needed.
- Email notifications need a clear/trash force touch input. Annoying to have to scroll to top or bottom of email.
- Went for a run with, really like the activity tracker and iPhone companion app.
- went for the modular watch face, though would like to have the time in the middle of the face.

Like it a lot and excited to see where the platform goes from here.

SuperPac

- You can make reminders with Siri, but there's no reminders app???

I believe if you have them set for a time they will show up in the Calendar app on the watch.

- Email notifications need a clear/trash force touch input. Annoying to have to scroll to top or bottom of email.

In notifications view (which shows only the first few lines of an email) you can swipe right to reveal some more options. In the email app list view you can swipe right for more which gives you trash/flag/unread options. In a message view you can force touch on the screen to reveal trash/flag/unread options.

So here's how it seems to work...
My watch screen is off.
I get an email, my screen lights up and i get a ding! I see the Mail icon with the name of the sender.
The mail icon shrinks, then it shows the top of the email.

At this point i'd like to be able to read or trash/mark as read at any time.

Seems like my options here are:

- pull the email down to dismiss. Sometimes i read part of the email before i want to dismiss it, so i have to scroll back up to the top to dismiss.

or

- scroll down to the bottom of the email and see the trash etc. options. Some emails are long and i don't want to scrollscrollscroll down the whole thing.

I've tried swiping left and right and nothing happens.

Force touch doesn't do anything here, did it does clear all on the pull down notification screen.

Long story made short:

Fiancé preordered the 38 AWsport white, 12ish am pacific time (California); I received said watch April 24 and was elated; returned it to the Apple Store and decided to purchase instead, a 38 SS ML combo, on 4/27.

Last night (between 9:30-10:00 pm pacific time), the watch entered preparing for shipment. It's sat with this status, where it still sits at 11:15 am. I paid with Apple gift cards, one had the full amount of the sport return and the other covered over $20 in difference (including AppleCare and estimated taxes, per Apple's order site - I had a store associate help me find the difference and ordered it at the Apple Store).

I also checked the balances yesterday afternoon, prior to the evening changing statuses.

I'm curious, how long does it sit in preparing for shipment? Will I receive the watch tomorrow? Monday?

Last go around, it entered preparing for shipment in the beginning of the week - for the 24th's launch, so there was no way of knowing anything other than for sure, that Friday.

If you guys restore your phone, make sure your backup is encrypted and local. Otherwise all your health data and activity app data will completely disappear. I learned that the hard way

Juice

If you guys restore your phone, make sure your backup is encrypted and local. Otherwise all your health data and activity app data will completely disappear. I learned that the hard way

Yup. I learned this past week too.

iCloud backups are always encrypted for the record.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Oh, I didn't know this. Good tip.
I do local backups now and then in addition to iCloud.

jts

...hate me...
Local backup, really? So much for iOS cutting the cord.

I can manage, but I think it's crappy that everyone else beyond micromanagement and overall hassles other than set it and forget it (eg: my father doesn't even own a computer) are eventually doomed to lose their health and activity data sooner or later. Then what's the point.

I can imagine legal restrictions though.

Ninja Dom

I always do a manual back up to my computer once every week at least. Just in case I need to restore my iPhone quickly while I'm at home. It's quicker for me as my internet connection isn't the fastest.

Didn't know about that encryption though. I'll enable that from now on.

EDIT: Oh shit, iTunes actually says that account passwords and Health data are backed up if you encrypt.

Fox1304

Woo, finally got a shipping notice for my 42mm Sports Black.
Now how to change delivery address to deliver at work monday ...

pwack

Long story made short:

Fiancé preordered the 38 AWsport white, 12ish am pacific time (California); I received said watch April 24 and was elated; returned it to the Apple Store and decided to purchase instead, a 38 SS ML combo, on 4/27.

Last night (between 9:30-10:00 pm pacific time), the watch entered preparing for shipment. It's sat with this status, where it still sits at 11:15 am. I paid with Apple gift cards, one had the full amount of the sport return and the other covered over $20 in difference (including AppleCare and estimated taxes, per Apple's order site - I had a store associate help me find the difference and ordered it at the Apple Store).

I also checked the balances yesterday afternoon, prior to the evening changing statuses.

I'm curious, how long does it sit in preparing for shipment? Will I receive the watch tomorrow? Monday?

Last go around, it entered preparing for shipment in the beginning of the week - for the 24th's launch, so there was no way of knowing anything other than for sure, that Friday.

1. That is not short
2. Tomorrow

I'd say wait. I caved and bought a 38mm SS, and it's shockingly tiny on my 160mm wrists. It took about two days of using it to get past how small it looked to me, and although I've warmed to it I'm still seriously considering returning it. Also, not related to the size, but the second "friends" dedicated button is super loose in it's housing, which I'm definitely not ok with given the price.

Thanks, I was failing fast but this helped me decide to persevere. The housing for the case not being perfect especially.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
ok. so less than a week until my shipping window.. ive had all this money in my checking account just waiting and it feels like walking around with a loaded gun. lol. I usually only keep less than 150$ in my checking because I'm really bad with money.

this really has been quite a lengthy wait. So far I've only see one person in public with an Apple watch and she had an aluminum one with a blue sport strap. I'm honestly more excited about how exceptionally badass I'm going to look with my dark brown modern buckle peaking out of my wrist cuff than I am for the computer part of it.

japtor

I'm with you bro. Flowers too. The animation is mesmerizing.
Technically it's time-lapse photography (and slo-mo in the case of the jellyfish):
http://www.wired.com/2015/04/apple-watch-design/
This is probably what I'll get for the Apple Watch, regarding bluetooth headphones:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C1CGZT0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cheap, probably not too shabby, and plug whatever headphones I have.
I bought one of those a while back and mostly just use them with the EarPods (hey I like them as non IEMs). Having a standard length cable is annoying but I've mostly mitigated that with a cable shortening wrapping trick, ideally you'd just have a 6-12" cable. Overall it works well enough but occasionally gets sputtery audio when first connecting for whatever reason, power cycling or turning off/on BT on the iDevice (or just waiting it out) seems to work.

Multi device connection works...but can be really annoying too. Like I watch stuff on my iPad with it, but if a call comes in the iPhone can take over and doesn't necessarily hand back control to the iPad afterwards (even though the iPad still sees itself as connected). I've also been on the phone and lost audio to the call cause the iPad decided to take over.

Not that I use them much, but the controls kinda suck for using by touch until you're really familiar with the orientation of the thing. I have it clipped onto my collar and know that volume up/down is down/up with the way I wear it, center button is play/pause, but hell if I know the orientation for skip forward/back.

Power wise I've used them for long periods so I think they can live up to their rated 6 hours, but the main thing I've noticed is that you really gotta keep them charged. I don't know if it just loses power quickly when off or the green light charge indicator is overly optimistic or what, but I've had it die seemingly quickly unless I've kept it charging for a while.

So yeah tl;dr it works, although I'd like some regular BT headphones at this point just cause the collective annoyances (and/or just wanting something new and more integrated).

Top Bottom