• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I like the mono wear nylon olive and gray straps, even if just that they are different from apples offerings. Looks like a fussier buckling system though :/

Owari

I know the idea is "stupid" in practice but...

What are some of the most enjoyable games on this thing? Some tamagotchi clones come to mind, but I don't yet have the watch to fool around with any apps let alone games.

Am I the only one that actually would enjoy the tiny little screen for some neat interactive experiences? I'm trying to envision what game dev a year or two down the road will look like for the Apple Watch. Honestly, I don't know why I am so enamored by the idea of tiny electronics. There's something about being able to more effectively integrate it into the present moment that is lost when you look at something like even your phone.

I could see some cool game that uses location tracking for populated areas to set up some sort of zombies or assassin game where a few people in an area are designated targets or zombies. The general population wouldn't know who they are but when you get within range you have the ability to have some sort of fight or stealth attack that takes you out or makes you a zombie.

I could go on and on but something about this thing reminds me of linking together two digimon units and fighting friends at recess, or scanning barcodes at the store to get monsters to train. I feel like passive passing interactions between electronics like Street Pass on the 3DS could become commonplace if this thing really does reach critical mass. What if you could see other peoples fitness stats that you pass on the sidewalk at a quick glance (or other such information that one would designate "receivable")?

Yep. Something Digimon/Tamagotchi/StreetPass would be phenomenal on this device.

After trying one on in an Apple store a week or two ago I ordered my black sport 42mm. I had the Nike Fuelband and it really motivated me to exercise while it was functional.
I'm Canadian so it came to 580 or so dollars which is both hefty and ridiculous but the management of my health after two semesters of poor eating justified using some of my tax return on it. I ordered on the 25th and it tells me it'll be shipping in June. Hopefully it's before/not too late into June.

Xcellere

I'm contemplating getting a Milanese loop to go with the sport band for my 42mm stainless steel watch. Impressions?

Absolutely love it. It's incredibly comfortable on my wrist, and the incremental adjustability of it is such a welcome feature, instead of having links or holes in the band. Go try them on in the store, and if comfort is what you're after, this is the way to go.

Ninja Dom

For those of you who like ArsTechnica and their very long and in depth reviews, the Apple Watch review is out. Really worth reading the whole thing.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/0...tely-optional-apple-watch-and-watch-os-1-0/1/

I read it fully. This is where Safari on iOS and OS X is so helpful with the Reader View. One nice long article without having to flip through pages and devoid of adverts. Superb.

As for the article, it seems okay. Reviewer wouldn't buy the Watch with his own money. It was in depth. Plenty more "What's Bad" compared to "What's Good".

Guys if you're still wonering about 42mm vs 38mm go make an appointment. I was sold on 42mm until today and after actually trying on the 38mm it's much better looking for me and I get to save £40 and have it arrive earlier.

My issue is even though I tried both on I forgot which I liked more.
Is the size that unimportant? I'm a fairly big guy, 192cm and around 180 pounds so i felt like the 42 might look better on me. If it's small I may just bite the bullet on the cheaper model.

Is the size that unimportant? I'm a fairly big guy, 192cm and around 180 pounds so i felt like the 42 might look better on me. If it's small I may just bite the bullet on the cheaper model.

you might want to go back and check again then before drop hundreds of $

xsarien

daedsiluap

Go back and take pictures. Alternatively, in a pinch, the images in the Apple Store app are completely to scale. Just kinda line it up on your wrist.

jts

...hate me...
I reckon it will not be too hard to reverse engineer those classic buckle bars, and it won't take long for seeing them knock-offs everywhere, no need for kickstarter projects.

Beats paying $150 for a classic buckle as well.

you might want to go back and check again then before drop hundreds of $

I'll be happy with either as I enjoyed them both, I just can't remember if I preferred one over the other.
Go back and take pictures. Alternatively, in a pinch, the images in the Apple Store app are completely to scale. Just kinda line it up on your wrist.

That's... Actually not a bad idea, haha.
Go back and check again or go on the Apple Store App on your phone as it shows the actual size of the watch so you can check it on your wrist. The difference is small though but noticeable.

Yeah, checking the App Store sounds like the best idea. I don't think I would end up caring either way. I think my main issue right now is simply being impatient.

Heading back to the store isn't an option for me as I was in Syracuse, NY when I tried them on. We don't have an "official Apple Store" here.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Absolutely love it. It's incredibly comfortable on my wrist, and the incremental adjustability of it is such a welcome feature, instead of having links or holes in the band. Go try them on in the store, and if comfort is what you're after, this is the way to go.

Thanks for the impressions. I'm going to have to see about it now.

Majine

Banned
Nooooooooooo

apple-watch-sport-milanese-sleeve_0.jpeg

That's not that bad.

You can't stop me.

SuperPac

how come americans can pre-sign for delivery but canadians can't? i don't see that option in my order page.

Yr6gfAP.png

Hrm - maybe chat with support? On one of my orders I couldn't pre-sign either (but I rerouted the package and picked it up at a UPS depot instead). If I remember correctly there were people on the MacRumors forum that had a similar problem and Apple emailed them a pre-sign form.

I pretty much agree with this review of the apple watch - http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-watch-review-2015-5

Majine

Banned
So since it tracks your heart rate passively and periodically, is there a graph somewhere to see a history of it? In the health app?

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Yep, add Heart Rate to your Health dashboard. It shown minimum and maximum heart rates in a given timeframe, and an average.

Decided to order the Stainless Steel model with the Milanese Loop band after trying it on this weekend, was originally going to get the Leather Loop (might get it down the road for more classier outings once I can see the different colors in person when the inventory gets less restricted).

Says July for the shipping window, curious how fast it'll be given how some people's have gotten moved up.

Voidance

Decided to order the Stainless Steel model with the Milanese Loop band after trying it on this weekend, was originally going to get the Leather Loop (might get it down the road for more classier outings once I can see the different colors in person when the inventory gets less restricted).

Says July for the shipping window, curious how fast it'll be given how some people's have gotten moved up.
I'm stuck with the same wait. Really hope it's more like early June, but I know 42mms seem to have a much longer wait time.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Way more specific dimensional detail on that Thant of their case diagrams / design guidelines for the phones.

Surprised the released that level of detail on the specifics of the radiused corners.

The Flop

Banned
I really want to get one, but my work office is inside a food manufacturing plant. Anytime I leave my office/conference room/break room I have to take my watch off.

I may wait for the 2.0 version, but this does look slick as hell.

DarkJC

Agreed. Might as well, they can't stop the flood of incoming bands.

It's a huge benefit for them. No other phone has as many 3rd party case options as the iPhone, and with the watch, it's arguably even more of an advantage to have a massive selection of bands available.

Not to mention they skim some money off the top through the "Made for Apple Watch" program.

Sooo I didn't realize that you could pre-sign for UPS. So I had I had it changed to deliver to my nearest UPS store. The only problem is that it shows up on Wednesday instead of tomorrow. Does anybody know if it will actually be delayed a full day? Or should I call and cancel the request of that is possible?

Sooo I didn't realize that you could pre-sign for UPS. So I had I had it changed to deliver to my nearest UPS store. The only problem is that it shows up on Wednesday instead of tomorrow. Does anybody know if it will actually be delayed a full day? Or should I call and cancel the request of that is possible?

The more you play with any package with any carrier, the more chance you have for them to screw it up. Don't call and cancel your change again, and just wait until it gets delivered to the store on Wednesday.

Hero

So does Apple make you sign for this thing? I work a 9-5 job so could never be around for the actual delivery..

Top Bottom