• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Sean

Banned
So does Apple make you sign for this thing? I work a 9-5 job so could never be around for the actual delivery..

Yes, signature required.

I just had UPS re-route the delivery to a local UPS store. They get all their stuff delivered by like ~10am which is way earlier than I get packages at home, so it worked out nicely. If you do this just bring your photo ID and a printout of the tracking number or whatever, it's simple and convenient.

jts

...hate me...
To be fair, Apple has always banked on licensed 3rd party accessories, so this might as well been just as planned rather than a forced move. 1st generation product explains why the licensing program took a few weeks to get ready.

Although, I'm curious to see if they'll license the magnetic charger design for 3rd party docks and cables as well.

jts

...hate me...
I don't see why not as you can get licensed lightning and dock connectors.
Truth, but they could take the Magsafe approach, which they never licensed.

It's probably a lot harder to reverse engineer and produce as well, so maybe there's not such a concern for that market to pop in one way or another.

btkadams

Out for delivery today despite me changing it to store pickup yesterday...hmm.. Guess it will be available for store pickup tomorrow then

Mitch

Banned
Out for delivery today despite me changing it to store pickup yesterday...hmm.. Guess it will be available for store pickup tomorrow then
At least you'll be getting it this week.

I'm patiently waiting. May end up getting a 3rd party band before I get the actual watch.

SuperPac

Did your request to change it go through successfully? If so, Out For Delivery may mean that it's on a truck to be delivered at the store. Mine was "Out for Delivery" for a few hours as well - being driven from the depot to the customer center. :)

Still absolutely no sign of my 42mm black sport ... Ordered a second one in case my order was lost or anything.

They're not lost. Just moving insanely slow. Apple barely has fulfilled 42mm Black Sports that were ordered 6 minutes after pre-ordering went live at midnight on April 10th. I wouldn't count on any orders for them placed today to arrive until the end of this month at the very least.

My guess is that they may have production ramped up by mid June and come July it will not be difficult to get the model one wants.

Still absolutely no sign of my 42mm black sport ... Ordered a second one in case my order was lost or anything.

when did you order? there's a thread on macrumors where people are posting when they ship and what time they ordered the 42mm SS black sport watch. Looks like most orders up to 12:20am PST have been filled at the moment.

My ship time is May 13 - May 27 and i ordered around 12:24am.

btkadams

Did your request to change it go through successfully? If so, Out For Delivery may mean that it's on a truck to be delivered at the store. Mine was "Out for Delivery" for a few hours as well - being driven from the depot to the customer center. :)
How do you tell if the request went through successfully? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

This is my tracking history. Should it have a status here saying it was approved?
ivkc6SD.jpg

Unfortunately the 12:20am orders appear to be for the smaller 38mm model which is moving marginally faster than the larger 42mm.

I would have loved that to be the case for the 42mm as I'm at the :14 min mark.

*Edit* My bad, just noticed you were referencing the stainless steel model. Too many abbreviations to keep track of. I still think of Bloodborne every time someone references the "BSB" for Black Sport Band.

So i've read reviews which haven't really been very exciting. How are you guys finding the watch? More than a nice little gimmick? Too slow? A life changer?

Pfft. Made a preorder yesterday on top of the stack of orders i have had since the 10th.

That order is now shipped.

Ridiculous. Oh, well. Looks like friday it is.

So the orders you made later shipped before your order on the 10th? Was it different than the model you ordered on the 10th?

Owari

Looks like the standalone link bracelets are starting to see some movement. Maybe that means us SS/SB LB people might get a watch one day

Fox1304

when did you order? there's a thread on macrumors where people are posting when they ship and what time they ordered the 42mm SS black sport watch. Looks like most orders up to 12:20am PST have been filled at the moment.

My ship time is May 13 - May 27 and i ordered around 12:24am.

Ordered on preorder day, within the 5 minutes. Also, I'm in France.

SuperPac

How do you tell if the request went through successfully? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

This is my tracking history. Should it have a status here saying it was approved?

I think it should say something other than pending. But, you can always chat with UPS customer support and they'd be able to tell you for sure.

To above posters, yes. I had 3 orders on the 10th. No movement.

Made one yeaterday for the 38mm/SS/classic buckle. Charged and shipped.

When you order off the store now, that model has a 2-3 week timeline. Got the idea of ordering it after bms' posts yesterday.

Edit: DW, i had that same model preordered on the 10th.

There is no rhyme or reason to all this.

And that's the really interesting bit.

ckohler

So i've read reviews which haven't really been very exciting. How are you guys finding the watch? More than a nice little gimmick? Too slow? A life changer?

I like my Apple Watch.
I love gadgets so I bought it for its gimmick.
Only part that's slow is dictation sometimes.
It's not a life changer. However, having notifications and Apple Pay on the wrist is a life improvement.

Karish

I like it more than I was expecting. Third party apps need work but the built in functionality is great. Easily the best mainstream fitness device on the market.

subrock

Definitely not a life changer, but I said this to someone last night and I think it's a fair assessment: "if you want one, it's worth it". If you are reluctant or critical going into it, I doubt there is anything impressive enough to win you over.

The device often comes to me, but I rarely go to it. It's nice for notifications and health tracking. It looks nice and is a fun conversation piece. It fluctuates between amazing and abysmal for hands free stuff. Bottom line, it's neat tech that is nice to have, but not at all necessary.

Just got charged for my watch ⌚️⌚️⌚️⌚️⌚️⌚️⌚️⌚️⌚️⌚️

Voidance

I'm an impatient person by nature, so it's hard to fight the urge to order a 38mm classic buckle until my Milanese loop gets here. I now have a delivery window of June 4 - 17 and many orders seem to be leaving a week or so ahead of the window, so I may not be waiting long either way.

I'm an impatient person by nature, so it's hard to fight the urge to order a 38mm classic buckle until my Milanese loop gets here. I now have a delivery window of June 4 - 17 and many orders seem to be leaving a week or so ahead of the window, so I may not be waiting long either way.

My delivery date was May 13 - May 27, but it's preparing for shipment now and I'd expect to get it this week. Would think you'd get it in May.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Feeling a little inspired by this thread, I tried something.

I placed a duplicate order. Same as 4/10: SG Sport/42mm. The original order is still 4-6 weeks; the new order is July. BUT: Almost immediately after placing the second order, my card was charged by Apple for what's the approximate price of the watch's AppleCare after tax. WTF.

Voidance

I placed a duplicate order. Same as 4/10: SG Sport/42mm. The original order is still 4-6 weeks; the new order is July. BUT: Almost immediately after placing the second order, my card was charged by Apple for what's the approximate price of the watch's AppleCare after tax. WTF.
Probably putting a hold on the funds.

edit:

Apple has no problem charging you for Apple Care right away, I've read post in the macrumors forums that they were charged for Apple care right away

Got around to using the watch for a nice bike ride and used the Activity app's outdoor cycle. It worked pretty well and I can get into this.

Frankly, the apps are weak right now so getting a fitness watch out of the Apple watch is the only thing making me keep it. It's something that looks both nice and a bit nerdy on your wrist, it sends you alerts, and it is a fitness watch. All the other stuff, besides Apple Pay, is far better on the phone.

ESPN app is the one I use most and it could be far more robust. I'd like to see everything I see when I go to 'home' on the apple phone. And by that, I mean my favorite teams scores and upcoming games and the 'major' games they list.

I guess it will get better with 1.0 but now I wonder about the limitations of system memory and processor because it should do more. I mean the Apple apps are very limited and those should have their best foot forward. I'd expect 3rd party apps to be a bit more limited, of course. Beginning to worry that 1.0 is a dud and 2.0 is where everything blossoms.

jts

...hate me...
Got around to using the watch for a nice bike ride and used the Activity app's outdoor cycle. It worked pretty well and I can get into this.

Frankly, the apps are weak right now so getting a fitness watch out of the Apple watch is the only thing making me keep it. It's something that looks both nice and a bit nerdy on your wrist, it sends you alerts, and it is a fitness watch. All the other stuff, besides Apple Pay, is far better on the phone.

ESPN app is the one I use most and it could be far more robust. I'd like to see everything I see when I go to 'home' on the apple phone. And by that, I mean my favorite teams scores and upcoming games and the 'major' games they list.

I guess it will get better with 1.0 but now I wonder about the limitations of system memory and processor because it should do more. I mean the Apple apps are very limited and those should have their best foot forward. I'd expect 3rd party apps to be a bit more limited, of course. Beginning to worry that 1.0 is a dud and 2.0 is where everything blossoms.

Frankly, I have no idea if we're ever getting a benchmark test of the Apple Watch, but memory wise doesn't sound bad. 512MB of RAM and 8GB of storage actually seem pretty adjusted for a Watch. There are still iPads being sold with 512MB of RAM, mind. And they work well. So it should be even better on a Watch with a small display and focused on text and simple graphics.

Don't fret. Even if I knew beforehand the Apple Watch 2 will be soooo much better than the 1 I'd still try to get a the 1 instead of waiting a whole year.

What limitations on native Apple apps are you exactly encountering though? I feel like they are more limited due to the interface limitations (again, screen size), and that's not something a 2nd version should fix.

Wait for WWDC before getting too worried. I believe that there's still room for a software revolution before we talk about new hardware.

Frankly, I have no idea if we're ever getting a benchmark test of the Apple Watch, but memory wise doesn't sound bad. 512MB of RAM and 8GB of storage actually seem pretty adjusted for a Watch. There are still iPads being sold with 512MB of RAM, mind. And they work well. So it should be even better on a Watch with a small display and focused on text and simple graphics.

Don't fret. Even if I knew beforehand the Apple Watch 2 will be soooo much better than the 1 I'd still try to get a the 1 instead of waiting a whole year.

What limitations on native Apple apps are you exactly encountering though? I feel like they are more limited due to the interface limitations (again, screen size), and that's not something a 2nd version should fix.

Wait for WWDC before getting too worried. I believe that there's still room for a software revolution before we talk about new hardware.

Take ESPN for an example. On the phone, on the home screen, I get:

Old scores from favorite teams that happened very recently (not so old, but played)

Future games from favorite teams

Champions League games

NBA games

NHL games

MLB games

On the watch, I get:

Future favorite team games

That's it. Unless your favorite team is playing.

Now maybe they don't want people scrolling through all of that on a watch, but it's not a limitation really of the screen other than it takes probably 3 times the pages on the watch than the phone. They could make extra tabs (left and right swipes) but it feels poor right now.

I know there will be times for the phone and times for the watch, but they've set the bar really really low for the watch.

Mitch

Banned
Speaking of bands, only one size is shipped with the Watch correct? I read somewhere that two bands/two different sizes come with the box but is this accurate?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should order a sport band or wait to trade in any extra coming in.
One band per watch.

Karish

I agree 100%. Like Business Insider's review said: It's a watch. It's a window into the digital world, not a door (iPhone), or a garage (Computer). Some apps could be better, for sure, or even, more customizable (e.g. what is that window looking at). Certain things about this will be what they will be...

Top Bottom