• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

VoxPop

Hey guys, I'm about to buy the Watch with a Milanese loop band but I was wondering what its like for someone with a nickel allergy? My Speedmaster and Submariner give me no irritation at all so I was wondering if that was also the case with the Apple watch?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I think the bigger question is will the 1st gen bands work with future Apple Watches or would each gen get stuck with their versions bands? I imagine if they want to thin the watch out in the future then they'd run into backwards compatibility issues.

Apple has had zero qualms with changing the iPhone and iPad form factors over the years, requiring new cases and accessories as a result. Most consumers just suck it up.

I doubt they'll have any hesitation making gen 1 bands obsolete if future Watch generations dictated it.

Apple has had zero qualms with changing the iPhone and iPad form factors over the years, requiring new cases and accessories as a result. Most consumers just suck it up.

I doubt they'll have any hesitation making gen 1 bands obsolete if future Watch generations dictated it.

I'd be shocked if the bands weren't exactly the same for at least another 2 generations, when they make gen 2 Apple watch thinner and lighter, it shouldn't necessarily have to change the size of the band clip attachment

I'd be shocked if the bands weren't exactly the same for at least another 2 generations, when they make gen 2 Apple watch thinner and lighter, it shouldn't necessarily have to change the size of the band clip attachment

I agree, I'd be surprised if the bands don't work for at least the next generation. The watch can get a fair bit thinner before it starts cutting into the necessary space for the bands.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I would really hope that the band mechanism sticks around for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong period of time. I don't have my watch yet and I only tried them on that one time, but it should be a 30pin>lightning transition period. Like, a decade. It didn't seem that thick....

japtor

They could keep the watch design around too (while updating specs), and expand the lineup instead of replacing. Or keep it up to a certain thickness for aesthetic reasons, or crown usability or something if they plan to keep it around.

Another thing about keeping the band form factor around is continuing to sell to the same customers without needing them to buy another watch entirely (and those wouldn't be lost watch sales if they weren't going to buy regardless at whatever time). Then if/whenever they do want to replace the watch, the bands can push them to staying with Apple, essentially a form of hardware lock in.

The nice thing about bands (from a business standpoint at least) is that they're more about wants rather than needs. They don't need to change the form factor and require people to get new bands, they can just introduce new ones and get people to want them. Compare that to something like the charge cables, once you have what you need there's only so much they can do to make you want to buy more without requiring a change.

Guess Who

Banned
My Watch order just disappeared from the online store. Just gone. Searching by order number pulls up nothing. This was a link bracelet watch set to ship starting this week.

Fuuuuuuck everything.

hEist

My Watch order just disappeared from the online store. Just gone. Searching by order number pulls up nothing. This was a link bracelet watch set to ship starting this week.

Fuuuuuuck everything.

it seems they got some server problems in moment, don't panic =)

in germany right now:

anFx4VD.png

"Sorry, our orderstatus-service is overloaded in moment. try later"

cakefoo

Just used Passbook at the airport for the first time.

For the scanner at security, I had to hold my wrist high over the desk and upside down, and be rock steady. Yoga-like focus. They should make these scanners front-facing.

Just like the iphone version, the boarding pass stays in the Watch's notification area for immediate pulldown access.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That's not exactly a completely fair comparison. What other watch is sold with swappable bands that involve little more than a button press and are also pieces of tech that get cycled out with new iterations every couple of years.

Have you seen watches with nato/Zulu style straps as default?
Those are even quicker to change than the Apple watch bands.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just used Passbook at the airport for the first time.

For the scanner at security, I had to hold my wrist high over the desk and upside down, and be rock steady. Yoga-like focus. They should make these scanners front-facing.

Just like the iphone version, the boarding pass stays in the Watch's notification area for immediate pulldown access.

Yeah it works well for handheld and outwards facing scanners like they have at Heathrow Express and Heathrow terminals. Not so much for the other type of scanner where you can't fit your hand between. I tried though!

Voidance

I just got an email showing updated shipping information (they added the 4 digit zip to my address), but the order is still processing. Does this usually happen when it's getting close to shipping?

Majine

Banned
I saw in a video that you can "Dismiss all" notifications with a single button, does that dismiss them on the iPhone as well? If so, gamechanger.

pharmx

I have 96 posts in this thread and don't even have the watch yet, yikes

Hang in there, my wife's 38mm arrived on the 7th, but my 42mm still shows May 29-June 11th for shipping. Both were ordered around 3:30am EST April 10th, both are the SG Sport with black band.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I'm out of the loop with shipping times for the various models. I'm thinking about getting a 42 SS with leather band. Any ideas in shipping times?

Talon

Used my watch at the airport today, too. Passbook is smart. If you scroll down to the QR code, the screen stays on no matter what for scanning purposes.

aparisi2274

Used my watch at the airport today, too. Passbook is smart. If you scroll down to the QR code, the screen stays on no matter what for scanning purposes.

I do not have the watch yet (trying to hold off until Gen 2), but that passbook QR code feature is really nice!

subrock

Thought that was nice too, although Passbook failed horribly at the movies. None of the kiosks have enough room to get your hand underneath, and turning your arm sideways fails to scan.

Talon

Thought that was nice too, although Passbook failed horribly at the movies. None of the kiosks have enough room to get your hand underneath, and turning your arm sideways fails to scan.
Didn't realize movie theaters had QR scanners nowadays.
(mindblown)

Ninja Dom

I want a gold link edition. Why won't Apple give me one? What do Karl Lagerfeld, Beyonce and Kanye have that I don't?

Same here. Don't know why Apple hasn't checked my Apple Support Profile to see all the Apple goodies I've bought and registered in the past. They should see I "deserve" one.

wish there was an option for the Watch to respect the ringer switch on the iPhone. Annoying to have to go into the glance to turn Silent Mode on.

Voidance

I woke up to authorization issues. Fixed them this morning (bank flagged the charge) and now I'm back to processing. :^[

Did that move me to the back of the queue?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My order hasn't budged. ><
Still says delivery window starts on the 12th.

nynt9

Mine was supposed to be delivered on the 13th but on Thursday I suddenly got it out of nowhere (with a shipment notification a day before, that is)

My leather loop order still hasn't shipped yet.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah see I got one that comes with a leather modern buckel.
It seems like the only leather that has shipped are the classic buckles.

Ninja Dom

It's finally here.

Had to remove three links from both sides for a perfect fit

#doievenlift

Chittagong. you got a London Tube app so you must be a commuter. Would love to know how that app runs, especially when you're underground. That one is a paid app too isn't it?

I got to try on a friend's stainless steel watch with a milanese loop over the weekend. I'm really glad I went with the space grey sport - the shiny stainless steel just looks far too flashy for me.
Black would look excellent though, shame about the price.

Top Bottom