• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Voidance

Not at all. I had a similar issue only because my credit union wanted to make sure charge was legit.I verified it with them, uodated the order on apple site and it was shipped later that evening. They hold the order for 10 days before cancelling it while the situation gets rectified.
Whew! Hopefully it ships tonight.

ckohler

I've used Apple Pay from my Watch a few times now and it always illicits an interesting reaction. One woman was like, "That's the first time I've seen that" and another said, "I was hoping you were going to pay using that. I'm wanted to see it work. I'm thinking of getting one also."

I really wish that MCX/CurrenC crap didn't exist, most of the stores around me are in that crowd, so I can't use Apple Pay. I was able to try it out right after Apple Pay launched using my phone at CVS, before they shut off support for it. So now I can't really try it anywhere with my watch, without going way out of my way.

I really wish that MCX/CurrenC crap didn't exist, most of the stores around me are in that crowd, so I can't use Apple Pay. I was able to try it out right after Apple Pay launched using my phone at CVS, before they shut off support for it. So now I can't really try it anywhere with my watch, without going way out of my way.

I've only used apple pay at whole foods, no where else I go accepts it or they do a poor job at advertising that they do

Ninja Dom

I am still so undecided on whether to order or not.

Guys, how much do you interact with your Watch when you're at home? I can understand while you're out or working you will have maximum interaction. But while at home, with your iPhone to hand, I'm guessing that you hardly or never interact with the watch?

Guys, how much do you interact with your Watch when you're at home? I can understand while you're out or working you will have maximum interaction. But while at home, with your iPhone to hand, I'm guessing that you hardly or never interact with the watch?

Yeah, basically never.

It's not especially useful for home use since I usually already have my phone out and within arms reach anyways. I guess it could be useful for some kind of cooking app.

number11

There's times where I leave my phone charging in another room. It's great how I no longer need to worry about missing a phone call/notification. Other than that, the remote app is the only other feature I use at home.

Ninja Dom

Yeah, basically never.

I interact with it at home just to check messages and emails far more than while I am at work. It is giving me more resolve to not pick up my phone like an addict every half hour or so.

imo, it's also a game changer in the fitness department. no more strapping goofy ass phones to my arm for a run.

lastly, I also use it to turn on my music when i have my phone plugged into speaker.

That's really it for me, personally. I love it but I absolutely know it is probably not worth what I spent on mine ($695) nor is it a necessity unless the two points I mentioned above can bring some convenience into your life.

It's not especially useful for home use since I usually already have my phone out and within arms reach anyways. I guess it could be useful for some kind of cooking app.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I mean at home I have my iPad and my Mac so my iPhone 6 hardly gets used at all except for phonecalls. The Watch won't get any use at all in my home environment. But that's okay I suppose. My iPhone gets no love at home so why would the watch? Currently my iPhone does get full attention while I'm out of the house.

Finally rolling up into my projected delivery estimate starting Wednesday but still haven't heard a peep since "Processing" on April 10th. Ordered about 14 mins after pre-orders went up.

It's been a longggggggg wait.

SuperPac

Depends what you imagine you're going to use it for.

I agree with this review - http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-watch-review-2015-5

It is a watch, it's not an iPhone replacement. If you do a lot of web-browsing, twitter, or web-based stuff on your phone, well, the watch doesn't do any of that too well. A lot of tasks, especially if it requires a third-party app, just aren't well-suited to the watch. Games are more or less terrible. At home I use it to start/stop podcasts that are playing on my phone, get text notifications, email notifications, set timers, check the time and little things like that. Interactions that would take seconds on the phone are sometimes better done on the watch. But I don't spend more than 30 seconds interacting with it, generally. It cuts the time I use my phone at home a lot because usually if I was doing "one quick thing" I'd get sucked into checking Twitter/GAF/Facebook/email/etc.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Chittagong. you got a London Tube app so you must be a commuter. Would love to know how that app runs, especially when you're underground. That one is a paid app too isn't it?

I have got both Tube Tracker and Tube Map, both I think are paid apps. Both work equally well showing which lines are in operation. Tube Tracker also tracks your platform of choice and gives you quickest routing to home in a single tap - stuff Citymapper does a bit better. The apps won't work when your phone is not online though so no use underground unless there is wifi.

Ninja Dom

I have got both Tube Tracker and Tube Map, both I think are paid apps. Both work equally well showing which lines are in operation. Tube Tracker also tracks your platform of choice and gives you quickest routing to home in a single tap - stuff Citymapper does a bit better. The apps won't work when your phone is not online though so no use underground unless there is wifi.

Ah nice, do they have notifications so that when your desired line goes up the spout you'll get an alert on the Watch?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ah nice, do they have notifications so that when your desired line goes up the spout you'll get an alert on the Watch?

Yeah both apps seem to have the same functionality, you can set alarms for your chosen lines and times of day so that you'll get a notification if they are out of service. Didn't actually know that before you asked, pretty neat!

pwack

I received my 38MM Apple watch on a black sport band on Friday. 3 days in and I love it. I get notifications that I need without carrying my phone with me, which makes me far less addicted to my phone. The health and fitness tracking is great. I've always liked ApplePay, and being able to pay from my wrist is even easier. Siri dictation works surprisingly well for texts and emails, and I love being able to set alarms and timers with my voice. Having my day's schedule and weather instantly available and easy access to my bus tracker is very nice.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I came across the OG iPhone today when cleaning my cupboards. Besides being ridiculously small, the industrial design and materials are spectacular. It hit me how much the 1st gen iPhone looks like 1st gen Apple Watch.

9kymaPD.jpg

Ambient80

So something I've noticed recently, when I take the watch off, obviously it locks and requires the pin to be able to use it again. Well at least twice now, when I've placed it on my wrist for the first time of the day, I don't enter the pin, but after about ten minutes or so it just unlocks. I don't get any notifications or anything that might trigger an unlock, it just does it. That seems like a bug to me, right? Or is there something I'm missing that will trigger the unlock?

Guess Who

Banned
So something I've noticed recently, when I take the watch off, obviously it locks and requires the pin to be able to use it again. Well at least twice now, when I've placed it on my wrist for the first time of the day, I don't enter the pin, but after about ten minutes or so it just unlocks. I don't get any notifications or anything that might trigger an unlock, it just does it. That seems like a bug to me, right? Or is there something I'm missing that will trigger the unlock?

If you unlock the paired iPhone while it's on your wrist, it will unlock the Watch.

Chittagong

Gold Member

I'd say you used your iPhone between putting your watch on, it unlocks the watch.

Shearie

If you unlock the paired iPhone while it's on your wrist, it will unlock the Watch.

Ah I see. And now I found the place on my iPhone to turn that function off, so it always asks for my code.

Why would you want to do that?

I actually don't like either method.

Putting a passcode in is too inconvenient and not as secure but having the watch unlock while on anybody's wrist just by unlocking your phone isn't good either. Imagine you're at home without your watch on but using your phone and someone else puts on your watch and its unlocked instantly. I would rather there be an unlock button in the iPhone watch app so you explicitly know when you're unlocking the watch.

Edit - Actually, maybe there is an unlock button in the app that I don't know about. I don't have the watch yet to see for myself.

Edit 2 - I guess it's not a big deal since you can always change the "Unlock with iPhone" setting whenever you want.

That is one of the worst ideas ever. Like, great/bravo that they can do it I suppose but...why would you want that?

I mean the least they could have done was put Doom on it first. :|

I think it's mostly just a proof of concept as opposed to something they actually think is useful.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So is there a single GAF member who has received a modern buckle yet?

Garou

My biggest gripe is the Move App. I wish it would track these stats (calories burned, etc) day round without selecting a fitness app to record my data. Just...track it and let me know what those stats are end of day. I know i havent only burned 190 calories today with all the walking i did on top of a 3 mile run.

The Health-app collects all your data. Calories are under "Fitness".

Garou

I think i confused the name. The activity app, as its called on my phone, the one with the three colored circles that track calories, exercise mins and stands? Its not catching calories or minutes exercised.

It only counts my calories or exercise minutes if i go to a fitness app (jogging man/green circle), select an exercise (indoor walk/outdoor walk/indoor run/outdoor run/ etc) and then save those stats.

I mean this one:
health-app-icon.png

Epix

I think i confused the name. The activity app, as its called on my phone, the one with the three colored circles that track calories, exercise mins and stands? Its not catching calories or minutes exercised.

It only counts my calories or exercise minutes if i go to a fitness app (jogging man/green circle), select an exercise (indoor walk/outdoor walk/indoor run/outdoor run/ etc) and then save those stats.

The "Activity App" which is the one you're referring to only captures data for the exercise ring (the middle ring) for any daily activity over a brisk walk. I haven't used my Workout app at all yet and I'm still getting credit for exercising.

"Try calibrating your watch/phone to your walking stride, it may help to get better results.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516

Does it allow exporting to myfitnesspal or other third party apps?

The Health app allows exporting of data to other apps that support and importing of data from sources that support it. For example, you can have your Watch count your steps which get sent to Health, then that step data can automatically be exported to another app like the Jawbone app. Also you can have something lie, sleep data imported to Health by something like Sleep Cycle. Health is just a repository for all of your data from all of your sources.

mcfrank

give-it-to-me.gif

Okay I am most certainly doing this when I get mine as long as its not some elaborate scam.

Where's that black Milanese Loop from?

Their rose gold seems to have way too much copper in the mix. Rose gold is my favorite of Apple's colors, but the plated version seems too red.

Phreaker

That's odd that is is not picking up exercise without you selecting a workout in the Workout App. The Activity App (on the phone) also shows total calories burned. Select the day, scroll down to Move and swipe left. You get Active Calories (you burned from movement), Resting Calories (based on age/sex/height/weight) and Total Calories burned.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My "June shipping" is just so far away, on the macrumor forums I read they're still shipping orders from people who ordered 10 minutes after pre orders went up on the 10th, I ordered on the 30th
I ordered mine at 12:06am on April 10th and have been in the 13th-27th window ever since.

Fwiw I haven't seen a single person on Twitter, gaf, or anywhere with a modern buckel.

Moreche

I'm in a July delivery.
This is a terrible launch of a product and I'm wondering what went wrong. Personally I think it's the mixture of watches and straps, they should have packed the straps and watches separately.

I'm in a July delivery.
This is a terrible launch of a product and I'm wondering what went wrong. Personally I think it's the mixture of watches and straps, they should have packed the straps and watches separately.

The faulty taptic engine probably played a major role, Gruber said his review unit was a dud and had to exchange it

I ordered mine at 12:06am on April 10th and have been in the 13th-27th window ever since.

Fwiw I haven't seen a single person on Twitter, gaf, or anywhere with a modern buckel.

At least yours should be shipping imminently

Top Bottom