• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Still not a peep about my order from 14 mins after pre-orders went live. Not gonna lie, this wait kinda sucks. It's hard to plan around receiving a package when all that I have to work with is a 3 week timeframe. Double edged sword of having next-day shipping...you get it fast but you only get like a day heads up.

I'll be traveling next Tuesday and I'm stuck trying to gamble with changing my shipping to where I'll be traveling to or hoping I'll get the thing on Monday. Is it possible to change shipping once it gets to the "Preparing to Ship" stage? At least then I'll have a more clear delivery estimate to work with.

Blackhead

Redarse
Apple Watch, One Week In (Thursday, 14 May 2015) - Casey Liss

Erin on Apple Watch (Thursday, 14 May 2015) - Erin Liss

I'll be traveling next Tuesday and I'm stuck trying to gamble with changing my shipping to where I'll be traveling to or hoping I'll get the thing on Monday. Is it possible to change shipping once it gets to the "Preparing to Ship" stage? At least then I'll have a more clear delivery estimate to work with.

No. See Apple Help - Viewing & Changing Orders

SonnyBoy

I'm so weak... I caved in and just ordered one. I'm having a hard time telling of people are receiving orders sooner than Apples initial ETA.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so weak... I caved in and just ordered one. I'm having a hard time telling of people are receiving orders sooner than Apples initial ETA.

Nah, they'll make you wait a month and a half and never ship your item or give you any hint of when it may be ready to ship.

border

I received my watch on launch day. If I want to add AppleCare+, how do I do it?

I really didn't think it was necessary, but I've had a bunch of close calls where I banged it or scraped it against something and while the watch has come out unscathed it was pretty jarring. I guess you don't realize how often your wrist bangs against stuff until you're actually wearing a watch.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You might need to take it in? I think for the iPhones they have to inspect it for a second.. though I think on the Macbooks they don't have to?

Yeah, I wear plastic/rubber swatches all the time and constantly bang them on stuff. Not sure how thats gonna work with the Apple watch. I actually welcome scratching the steel part, but I've heard the sapphire lens is a bit brittle?

border

You may be late; i think the window to add applecare is 14 days from the date you received the watch. Regardless, go to a Apple store and ask.

Just found it. Their website says that AppleCare+ can be added within 60 days of purchase.

Important notes

Purchase AppleCare+ with your new Apple Watch. Or buy it within 60 days of your Apple Watch purchase:

At an Apple Retail Store (inspection of Apple Watch and proof of purchase are required) OR call (800) 275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, must be nice to have an Applewatch to get Applecare for.

I'm gonna be salty as hell until I get this thing.

Guess Who

Banned
Yeah, must be nice to have an Applewatch to get Applecare for.

I'm gonna be salty as hell until I get this thing.

zKofkgv.jpg

Ninja Dom

Quick simple question. When you're out and about does the Watch connect to your iPhone via Bluetooth only? Or does wifi on the iPhone also need to be on?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've spent a few days now with the link bracelet Watch and shit is it nice. Popping links off with no tools is brilliant and the butterfly clasp is much sleeker and more comfortable than traditional clasps. I honestly think it's a nicer steel band than I've seen on much more expensive watches. No wonder Apple charges $450 for it by itself.

Does it have fine tuning for size on the clasp, or only by removing links?

Guess Who

Banned
Does it have fine tuning for size on the clasp, or only by removing links?

Only removing links, but the links are relatively small compared to many link bands out there, so each link is a reasonably fine adjustment. I got mine to fit pretty snugly on my arm, there's a little bit of movement but it's not very significant.

Finally got a general shipping window (last week or so of June till the first week or so of July).

Hoping it gets delivered earlier than that, but at least it isn't late July.

(42mm SS w/ ML band)

Nitsuj23

Finally got a general shipping window (last week or so of June till the first week or so of July).

Hoping it gets delivered earlier than that, but at least it isn't late June.

(42mm SS w/ ML band)

You'd rather have early July than late June?

Edit: Never mind, you probably meant late July.

Shearie

For the people who've gotten their watches already, did you receive yours early, on time, or late of the estimated delivery date? My earliest estimated delivery date is May 29th and I'm wondering when I should most likely expect it.

Guess Who

Banned
For the people who've gotten their watches already, did you receive yours early, on time, or late of the estimated delivery date? My earliest estimated delivery date is May 29th and I'm wondering when I should most likely expect it.

My window was May 13-27 and it arrived on the 13th.

Seems like everyone is getting the same June 22-27 window, on the Mac rumor forums people who ordered on 4-10 and 5-10, a month apart, got the same window

Maximus.

Seems like everyone is getting the same June 22-27 window, on the Mac rumor forums people who ordered on 4-10 and 5-10, a month apart, got the same window

That sucks. I ordered it on April 15 and I am being quoted end of June. Though I wonder if they will possibly ship out sooner, seeing as that was the case for many people here and other places.

My watch now says processing. Expected delivery sometime in the last week of June.

Just got charged for applecare the other day too. Bruh

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What's all this jazz about bold text on the watch?

I ordered mine (42mm black sport) at 19 mins past launch and received an email on Friday night that the watch has shipped and will be with me tomorrow.

Good thing I happened to have access to £339 as the shipping date they gave me a fortnight ago said 29th May-8th June!

Fox1304

So guys, after a few days of use, what are your most recommended/used apps ?
Mine are clearly those :
  • Hue
  • Remote
  • Runtastic
  • Things

Skype and Flipoard are nice too.

I expected Hue to be one of mine, but it takes so long and is so fiddly to get to the point where I can turn lights on and off that it's just rubbish compared to the how long it take to do it from notification centre on my phone.
Basically the same experience I've had with every third party app.

Fox1304

I expected Hue to be one of mine, but it takes so long and is so fiddly to get to the point where I can turn lights on and off that it's just rubbish compared to the how long it take to do it from notification centre on my phone.

Exactly. When I have my phone in hand it's quicker to use it for the Hue app from the notification center. When I don't though I prefer to get the watch, even if it takes more actions and more time.
Hope things will get quicker when real apps are doable, and when we get a kind of notification center actions like on iPhone.

Sean

Banned
The native apps thing is going to be interesting. It'll get rid of the loading spinners I assume, but it's still going to take longer to find and launch those apps on that tiny homescreen with all the panning and zooming you have to do. And Watch apps are still going to be severely limited in functionality compared to their iPhone counterparts due to the tiny display, lack of keyboard, etc. They'll still be much slower obviously and there'll still be network issues as it shares your iPhone connection.

Basically I don't think it will change the current app situation all that much. Really curious how Apple will handle the messaging on this too, 'all these apps are running natively and now your battery life is much worse, enjoy the update!' There's gonna be a ton of backlash if that is the case.

The native apps thing is going to be interesting. It'll get rid of the loading spinners I assume, but it's still going to take longer to find and launch those apps on that tiny homescreen with all the panning and zooming you have to do. And Watch apps are still going to be severely limited in functionality compared to their iPhone counterparts due to the tiny display, lack of keyboard, etc. They'll still be much slower obviously and there'll still be network issues as it shares your iPhone connection.

Basically I don't think it will change the current app situation all that much. Really curious how Apple will handle the messaging on this too, 'all these apps are running natively and now your battery life is much worse, enjoy the update!' There's gonna be a ton of backlash if that is the case.

WWDC will be very interesting

Finally had a chance to stop by an Apple Store and play with the Watch in person. It pretty much was exactly what I expected, so now huge surprises, but it did allow me to compare sizes, and determine that the larger one is right for me.

The criticism that the Watch isn't as intuitive to work with right away are kind of spot on. Even knowing how it worked, I still had to play with it a bit to figure some things out. That said, it also didn't seem like it had a steep learning curve either, so I imagine a day or two with the thing and you're all set.

I've been traveling a lot, so I've been reluctant to order one as I might not be around when it arrives. I'm hoping I'll be able to go pick one up in the store once they become available there in June. We'll see.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Guessing you can't use siri to kick off third party stuff? 'siri, turn my lights off' would be useful.

Top Bottom