• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

mcfrank

So is anyone here going to get the Ceramic edition?

I would if there were more band options. I need to dress decently nice for work and so I don't think I will do a sports band most of the time. The brown leather would look good in theory, but I tried it at the Apple Store and the silver connections make it look weird on the white.

I was thinking about getting a Series 1 to hold me over until the next redesign, but I thought the 1 and 2 had the same processor and thought you were just paying for the brighter screen, GPS, and water proofing with the 2. Now I'm reading conflicting reports, some sites say the 1 just has a faster processor that isn't dual core, some say the 2 has a unique GPU improvement that allows it to show 60fps, there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency.

What's the deal with this?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
None of it matters. It's a watch! It's a fact the s1 outperforms the s0 so just buckle it on and enjoy.

None of it matters. It's a watch! It's a fact the s1 outperforms the s0 so just buckle it on and enjoy.
The extra $100 isn't that much. I don't swim, don't care much about the GPS, and have no issue with the brightness of my original Watch, but if it also has significant performance improvement I'd spring for it.

If performance is identical though I'd just as soon save some money.

Guess Who

Banned
I was thinking about getting a Series 1 to hold me over until the next redesign, but I thought the 1 and 2 had the same processor and thought you were just paying for the brighter screen, GPS, and water proofing with the 2. Now I'm reading conflicting reports, some sites say the 1 just has a faster processor that isn't dual core, some say the 2 has a unique GPU improvement that allows it to show 60fps, there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency.

They are all wrong. It's the same CPU, and it's dual core.

Miyahon

Series 1 uses the same processor as the first Apple Watches but it has been upgraded to a dual core variant of it dubbed S1P. While the Series 2 has new dual core processor dubbed S2 and an upgraded GPU.

I'm not sure what the performance different between either model.

So you have the S1, S1P and S2 depending on which Apple Watch model you have.

Everyone's having trouble getting watches? This year and last year I got the without issue. Got the "space black Milanese" 42mm. 🙃 Now what to do with two gen-1 watches?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I have an S1 on my wrist right now. The thing does 60fps and I haven't seen any stutter since I received it.

Series 1 uses the same processor as the first Apple Watches but it has been upgraded to a dual core variant of it dubbed S1P. While the Series 2 has new dual core processor dubbed S2 and an upgraded GPU.

Source?
I would venture the difference between S1P and S2 chips are the GPS component as these are SoCs (system in chip).

The fact that I see 0 performance difference on the S1 on my wrist and the S2 on my co-workers wrist reinforces that. There is a noticeable difference between S0 and S1.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Source? Because I think that's nonsense.

As far as the keynote told us, the hardware in series 1/2 is 100% identical apart from the waterproofing, GPS, the speaker and the display brightness.

mrkgoo

Depending on how you set it up, the cable tension often can push it around a little. I'm pedantic about how I want the dock to stay so it's a very particular, minor issue :)

I have the offical Apple Watch dock, and I love it. it's pricey, but it's a mainstay for me.

IT's weighty, has multiple modes, and doesn't rely on threading your magnetic puck in a stupid way. Comes with a 2 metre lightning cable, which I actually didn't use for the dock (used my old one), and now I have a 2 metre lightning cable for my phone at my bedside.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It'd be cool if the watch could stay connected to the phone even if you're connected to different networks. E.g. if you're walking around without the phone, the watch could connect to known public wifi and connect via the internet to the phone for notifications etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks. Keep that in mind new watch owners. You should put your iPhone on the 2.4 network so the wifi on your watch kicks in when the two devices are out of Bluetooth range.

Do they connect directly? I thought they just go through your wifi router, so you can connect the phone via 5GHz and the watch via 2.4 (assuming your router supports both)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I never even thought about aftermarket companies making bands. What is the quality and fixings like? I thought it would be something Apple would patent, but maybe not!

Lots are very good. I got a black sport band for about £8 which seems just like the Apple one, and a hoco metal band that is very nice - 3 link (oyster style?) as I'm not a fan of the Apple link bracelet, even ignoring the horrendous price

Carlisle

Source? Because I think that's nonsense.

As far as the keynote told us, the hardware in series 1/2 is 100% identical apart from the waterproofing, GPS, the speaker and the display brightness.

The keynote worded it very carefully and didn't distinguish between the two chips nor did it quite say they were identical. If I recall correctly, it was something more like "we've also upgraded the S1 with a dual core processor," but I don't think they outright said it was the same dual core processor in the S2.

Anyway, it's listed on Apple's website that it's not the same processor. As to how much that has to do with the improved GPU or the inclusion of GPS, I don't know.

img_1150birmu.png

Tobor

I'm torn on whether to order online or wait a week and see if series 2 watches start appearing in the Apple Store.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The keynote worded it very carefully and didn't distinguish between the two chips nor did it quite say they were identical. If I recall correctly, it was something more like "we've also upgraded the S1 with a dual core processor," but I don't think they outright said it was the same dual core processor in the S2.

Anyway, it's listed on Apple's website that it's not the same processor. As to how much that has to do with the improved GPU or the inclusion of GPS, I don't know.

It says right there under the S2 that it has built-in GPS. I think that's the one discerning feature of the S2 SoC.

We'll find out soon enough.

Do they connect directly? I thought they just go through your wifi router, so you can connect the phone via 5GHz and the watch via 2.4 (assuming your router supports both)

The go between is the router. If you put your phone on the 5GHz network, the watch doesn't stay on the 2.4 network and that connection via the router is gone and then you'll be seeing the red disconnected message. My phone stays on the 2.4 network in the house.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The go between is the router. If you put your phone on the 5GHz network, the watch doesn't stay on the 2.4 network and that connection via the router is gone and then you'll be seeing the red disconnected message. My phone stays on the 2.4 network in the house.

I just switched my phone to my 5GHz network and it seems fine. Ultimately they're on the same local network behind it all anyway - wired, 2.4 wifi or 5 wifi is all connected through the router. Mine has dual modes though so has active 2.4 and 5GHz

I just switched my phone to my 5GHz network and it seems fine. Ultimately they're on the same local network behind it all anyway - wired, 2.4 wifi or 5 wifi is all connected through the router. Mine has dual modes though so has active 2.4 and 5GHz

I'll give it a try. Have a feeling it eventually breaks.

But maybe all is needed is to sign into the 2.4 network with the phone just once.

So I just found out that WatchOS3 won't share GPS data. The whole point of me getting the new one was to run strava without needing my phone. I'll be returning my watch now on Wednesday instead.

Future

So I just found out that WatchOS3 won't share GPS data. The whole point of me getting the new one was to run strava without needing my phone. I'll be returning my watch now on Wednesday instead.

Wat

Gps only works with Apple stock apps? So people can't run with the apps they like?

Top Bottom