• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Where did you read that GPS doesn't work for third party apps? I read there's an API they can use

vlXstSH.png

Apps: At this point, only Apple’s Workouts app supports phone-free runs. You get an error message if you try to launch Strava or MapMyRun without your phone connected to the Watch. And, those phone-free workouts are trapped within the Workouts app; currently it appears there’s no way to export or sync those activities to another service like Strava. In short, if you want your workout to show up on Strava or MapMyRun, you still have to run wth your phone.

http://www.runnersworld.com/gear-check/first-run-apple-watch-series-2

Basically it's not supported in WatchOS3 right now.

mcfrank

Woot- Santa Monica store has a series 2 steel with links. I don't have to wait until next week when my shipment would get here.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I never even thought about aftermarket companies making bands. What is the quality and fixings like? I thought it would be something Apple would patent, but maybe not!

Just hit up amazon and read some reviews.

It's pretty dumb to be paying 50$ for some apple-branded silicon bands when I can have 3 different sets of bands sent to my house for the same price with more color/design variety.

According to reading some MacRumors forum impressions, the quality is usually pretty damn good unless you're buying the 4$ bands from alidirect.com or something.

Guess Who

Banned
In my experience, the aftermarket sport bands are pretty good, and there's some knockoff Milanese loops that are alright, but basically every "cheap" leather band I've seen is absolute shit.

I'm not getting some notifications. Messages aren't being brought up to the Watch all the time, and some apps like Al Jazeera aren't showing up as well. It doesn't seem to be consistent. And even with my phone in my pocket, if I get a call, my phone almost stops ringing before I get the alert on my watch.

Is this just 3.0 bugginess? Something wrong with the watch? Something else?

I'm not getting some notifications. Messages aren't being brought up to the Watch all the time, and some apps like Al Jazeera aren't showing up as well. It doesn't seem to be consistent. And even with my phone in my pocket, if I get a call, my phone almost stops ringing before I get the alert on my watch.

Is this just 3.0 bugginess? Something wrong with the watch? Something else?
I had issues until I restarted the watch for the first time. Worked fine after that for messages for me.

What's the benefit of strava over the apple runs app?

Nothing for the run itself. But I have a lot of friends using Strava/ I follow some professional athletes who use it. Plus Strava has segments where you can compete against people and "own" them with the fastest time. Lots of reasons for me.

Bestbuy let me put in a pre-order for Space Gray 42 mm Series 2 this morning...

Expected release date: 09/28/2016

I checked again and they've disabled it again, probably because of high demand..

Will see if they actually come through or not, maybe I'll get a $50 dollar gift card out of it if they don't :D :D

Anyone want to compare the S0 and S1?

I might return my S0 and get the S1 if there's a big difference, but I only really use the stock apps and they're all in my dock

SeanR1221

I usually like selling and upgrading apple products quickly. What's a reasonable price to ask for my stainless 42mm with sport band?

Can anyone give me an impression of the black milanese loop? Really thinking of buying one for my space gray watch.
Buy it from amazon and save $175 dollars. It's 95% the same with the only difference being one was barely lighter. And I don't even remember which. I tried the official Apple one at the store and compared it directly to the $22 amazon milanese one I ordered and laughed right out of the store, shit was nearly identical.

rubes7844

Banned
Buy it from amazon and save $175 dollars. It's 95% the same with the only difference being one was barely lighter. And I don't even remember which. I tried the official Apple one at the store and compared it directly to the $22 amazon milanese one I ordered and laughed right out of the store, shit was nearly identical.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Yeah, the accessory pricing is where Apple probably makes most of it's watch money, it's ridiculous.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Can anyone give me an impression of the black milanese loop? Really thinking of buying one for my space gray watch.

I bought this one from Amazon for $14.
Apple Watch Band, Penom Fully Magnetic Closure Clasp Mesh Loop Milanese Stainless Steel Bracelet Strap for Apple iWatch Sport & Edition 42mm - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016JWO0HQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Best seller on smartwatch bands on Amazon.
I was worried about going cheap due to me having armhair and I hate when it gets yanked.

This thing is fantastic. Went for a run last night and the magnet was plenty strong enough to stay in place. No armhair pulling and I can always be at optimal tightness regardless of wrist size.

The black looks more formal than the black sports band which will be perfect for work but not too formal for casual use. It's an everyday band.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Any battery life comparisons between the s1 and the s2 out yet?

My S1 42mm is better than I thought it would be.
1 hour 13 minutes usage
9 hour 8 minutes standby
81% remaining.

This is on all default settings.

That's 2 days usage per charge at this rate.

Guess Who

Banned
Nice! I'm getting one of those in black next week. Already have 3 bands - the one mine came with (black silicone), a grey leather and this Milanese loop:
IMG_2801_zps4mbyivxj.jpg

This pic actually highlights the biggest aesthetic issue I have with knockoff Milanese loops - the band isn't wide enough to really fill the width of the hook at the bottom, so it kinda slips to the side.

I'm not saying that justifies the like, $140 more Apple charges for theirs (I own a knockoff Milanese loop too), but it is the kind of detail nerds like me would care about that Apple gets right.

Walked into the apple store with my girlfriend and she walked out with a series 1 rose gold watch + rose gold/blue nylon strap. I think I have a convert lol.

Got the Series 1 and returned the Series 0 that I bought from BB for $220

The S1 is so much faster it's crazy

OS3 made the S0 faster, but now the S1 doesn't drop any frames or lag when opening apps. Raising your wrist brings on the screen a touch faster, plus Siri is a lot faster and everything feels super smooth.

For example, on my S0 when I pushed down to change my watch face it would take like a second or two for the taptic feedback to kick in, sometimes even lagging for longer. Now, it's instant when you press down

Got the Series 1 and returned the Series 0

The S1 is so much faster it's crazy

OS3 made the S0 faster, but now the S1 doesn't drop any frames or lag when opening apps. Plus Siri is a lot faster and everything feels super smooth.

For example, on my S0 when I pushed down to change my watch face it would take like a second or two for the taptic feedback to kick in, sometimes even lagging for longer. Now, it's instant when you press down

I'll have to mess with my girlfriend's S1 when she returns versus my S0. Either way can't wait until my S2 comes Tuesday.

This pic actually highlights the biggest aesthetic issue I have with knockoff Milanese loops - the band isn't wide enough to really fill the width of the hook at the bottom, so it kinda slips to the side.

I'm not saying that justifies the like, $140 more Apple charges for theirs (I own a knockoff Milanese loop too), but it is the kind of detail nerds like me would care about that Apple gets right.

Yeah, I noticed it after I took the photo. Not a deal breaker by any means but it is the detail that Apple is famous for that makes their hardware special. I'll still take 10 knockoff bands for the price of a single Apple band though. For the amount that I'll be switching my bands up, it's worth a little missed detail here and there. Add to that the fact that almost no one will ever notice and I'm a happy camper.

Yeah, I noticed it after I took the photo. Not a deal breaker by any means but it is the detail that Apple is famous for that makes their hardware special. I'll still take 10 knockoff bands for the price of a single Apple band though. For the amount that I'll be switching my bands up, it's worth a little missed detail here and there. Add to that the fact that almost no one will ever notice and I'm a happy camper.
Same reason I don't give a shit about the steel band on the aluminum watch. It looks close enough at a glance.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Tried both Series 1 and Series 2 today at an Apple store. How do you guys find dealing with wearing the watch and long sleeves ? Did you find that your sleeves might activate apps or whatever from the watch face ?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tried both Series 1 and Series 2 today at an Apple store. How do you guys find dealing with wearing the watch and long sleeves ? Did you find that your sleeves might activate apps or whatever from the watch face ?

Nope. Only negative is that if you have tight/stiff cuffs, I get phantom haptics. It's just the cuff bumping the watch but it sometimes has me miss notifications because I start ignoring that feeling :)

Top Bottom