• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

pbsapeer

Banned
Nightstand mode is enabled when the Watch is on its side and charging.

watch-nightstand-mode-hero.jpg

It's a sort of a skin that makes it look like a bedside clock, shows the time in big sized numbers, shows when the alarm is going to ring, lits up slowly and brighter as the time of your alarm time approaches, and the physical buttons (pointing upwards) will act as the snooze and the stop buttons.

The display doesn't stay always on but it will turn on every time it senses movement with its accelerometers (for example, a slight tap on the bedside table would be enough) or it's touched itself.

It's pretty nifty.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205045

Wow that's actually really cool. I might look at one like that instead. I assume I could get a dual one with a lightening connection to plug my phone into using one plug?

Jeffrey

any 'speedtests' comparisons between the new watch and 2015 on os3?

I heard last year watch was notorious for long load times, but os3 addressed that a bit?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Best dock/stand? Don't care if it supports nightstand as I don't use it as a bedside clock, but it does have to support closed loops as I have a metal band from Amazon I sometimes use it with

Also any recommendations for a good third party metal band (stainless steel)? Needs to be micro-adjustable in case removing entire links are either too big or too small (like my current band). So eg movable connection on the clasp

bionic77

Do Apple Stores have some models left over to try on?

I was thinking of heading down this weekend to pick up out a series 2 with a band I like.

Went by the SOHO Apple Store, no NYC store got the 42mm SS white sports band model

Great supply chain management by the guru Tim Cook

Uh, really, is that necessary? The product just launched today and there's a fuckload of demand. Oh no, you didn't get it on the first day, lets bash Cook. And if you haven't noticed, he has a FEW more responsibilities now beyond supply chain management, which isn't really his thing anymore.

Amazing level of whining and entitlement. Apple's supply chain is still unmatched, nobody can pull off the ridiculous launches they have with tens of millions sold in a weekend, regardless of whether or not YOU got your thing. No need to mock and belittle Cook, and pretend that he's not a supply chain guru who has brought Apple to the level they are today. This post might seem harsh, but I'm sick of these DAMN YOU APPLE anger and entitlement, so out of touch and disconnected from the insane complexity of these launches.

samn

Uh, really, is that necessary? The product just launched today and there's a fuckload of demand. Oh no, you didn't get it on the first day, lets bash Cook. And if you haven't noticed, he has a FEW more responsibilities now beyond supply chain management, which isn't really his thing anymore.

Amazing level of whining and entitlement. Apple's supply chain is still unmatched, nobody can pull off the ridiculous launches they have with tens of millions sold in a weekend, regardless of whether or not YOU got your thing. No need to mock and belittle Cook, and pretend that he's not a supply chain guru who has brought Apple to the level they are today. This post might seem harsh, but I'm sick of these DAMN YOU APPLE anger and entitlement, so out of touch and disconnected from the insane complexity of these launches.

Alright get a grip.

Guess Who

Banned

shit man i didn't know tim had a GAF account

You seem mad, Not-Tim Cook.

SuperPac

With so many offerings in S1&2, I'm not terribly surprised that they aren't in plentiful supply on launch day. If you have a particular model you want, it is best to order it online instead of taking a chance at a store. Or, wait a month or two.

Animator

Apple store in pacific centre Vancouver said they only received a couple s2 watches and they all sold out in the morning.

Silver lining is it's probably for the best since I can wait for the nike edition which looks like a better fitness watch than the s2 regular.

Calm down, I don't care that I didn't get it day 1, Apple rep told me they barely got anything, just reporting what I was told

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Os3 has been quite the improvement! Noticing that syncing states between messages on the phone and the watch has been hugely improved. Was one of my biggest frustrations before.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
is that drastically faster than 2015 watch?
Wow, yes it is. I think it was not possible to load even a simplest third party app in less than 4 seconds of initial load wait time. Now it loads them 1-2 seconds (speaking about undocked apps that have not been previously loaded). General interaction seems a lot smoother overall too.

Akim

Banned
So I picked up the series 1, never had an apple watch before. I kinda wanted the series 2 but they were out and I didn't think I'd use it for swimming or GPS.

Yep, my store only got Space Grey Series 2 watches, and they sold out about an hour ago. No other colors. Lots of series 1! No series 2 anymore

I have two apps, Overcast and another, installed on my Watch, but when I say "Hey Siri, open Overcast", the watch doesn't open it on the watch, and says there's no such application, and that I can open it on the phone if I want. Am I doing that wrong?

Also, I'm trying to dictate a message with Siri using the watch, but how do I send it? Do I really have to press the Siri button again to then say "send"?

Covering up to mute isn't working, and turning off specific app notifications ins't working. Also, I can't tell the difference between the medium and high haptic settings.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have two apps, Overcast and another, installed on my Watch, but when I say "Hey Siri, open Overcast", the watch doesn't open it on the watch, and says there's no such application, and that I can open it on the phone if I want. Am I doing that wrong?

Also, I'm trying to dictate a message with Siri using the watch, but how do I send it? Do I really have to press the Siri button again to then say "send"?

Covering up to mute isn't working, and turning off specific app notifications ins't working. Also, I can't tell the difference between the medium and high haptic settings.

Honestly, just reboot and it and try again in a few hours. Every so often Siri does just stop working randomly. Happened to me just the other day, hell Siri wouldn't even respond I'd yell "hey siri!" and nothing.

But two hours later I tried again and it was fine. I Just tried opening overcast on my watch with siri and it fired right up...

Why in the world would you or any dude spring for the 38mm?

hah. i havent seen anyone pull off the 42mm. big dork watch wearers.

also, RIP Pinner for the pinboard messageboard service. loved that watch app and it didnt make the transition to os3.

sadromeo

This is a whine/vent post. I do not blame Apple but I do put blame on UPS.

I was supposed to get my series 2 watch today from UPS. I have tracked it all the way from China. It passed through Japan, Alaska, the east coast and finally on the west coast to a UPS facility close to me. It should have been out for delivery today but instead I get this message as my final tracking message for the day:

09/16/2016 7:33 A.M. We've incorrectly sorted the package at our facility. This may cause at least one business day delay.

My scheduled delivery originally stated: September 16, 2016 but now it states:

Scheduled Delivery:
Scheduled delivery information is not available at this time. Please check back later.

Seriously UPS?

WTF does this mean? Is my watch lost or did someone 'sort' it wrong and it went to the wrong facility or truck? I do not even have an estimated delivery date anymore. Am I screwed? Or should I patiently wait until Monday and see what happens then?

Having trouble pairing my Bluetooth earbuds with the watch. It shows under devices, but won't pair.

Having said that, love it after one day. Handy having timers and mobile alerts so handy. And controlling the music playback from the wrist is awesome.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

I was supposed to get my series 2 watch today from UPS. I have tracked it all the way from China. It passed through Japan, Alaska, the east coast and finally on the west coast to a UPS facility close to me. It should have been out for delivery today but instead I get this message as my final tracking message for the day:

09/16/2016 7:33 A.M. We've incorrectly sorted the package at our facility. This may cause at least one business day delay.

Scheduled Delivery:
Scheduled delivery information is not available at this time. Please check back later.

Seriously UPS?

WTF does this mean? Is my watch lost or did someone 'sort' it wrong and it went to the wrong facility or truck? I do not even have an estimated delivery date anymore. Am I screwed? Or should I patiently wait until Monday and see what happens then?

I'm guessing they don't know what truck it went on. Have to wait for another arrival scan before you get another ship date.

Scheduled Delivery:

Seriously UPS?

Means it got put on the wrong truck. Sorry man.

I'm still having a couple of problems/bugs?

Covering the watch to mute does not work. I have the setting toggled on, and I've tried toggling it on and off, and I've restarted the Watch, but it still doesn't work.

Overcast is still giving me notifications even though I told that app to stop giving me notifications. I don't know what's going on there as well.

Lastly, I'm confused on the activity rings. Stand is working properly, but exercise and move are more obtuse. The only "exercise" time I got marked today was a long walk into a building and a long walk out of said building. When I went to exercise tonight, I started a workout and selected outdoor walk and I walked very briskly, broke a sweat, and got my heart rate up for thirty minutes. But, none of that filled up the Exercise ring. I'm still only listed at having only 12 minutes of exercise (6 minutes each way into the building) but none of my thirty minute actual exercise counted? And, it seemed to make no dent on the Move ring as well.

Am I just not supposed to use the Workout app if I want to fill activity rings? What might I be doing wrong here?

Top Bottom