• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Aluminum 38mm with woven nylon band. That is the second to last hole on the strap and it is that tight. I just moved it to the last one. I haven't turned it on yet, but disappointed in the band length. The watch itself is the perfect size for me though.
Blood flow is overrated anyway.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Aluminum 38mm with woven nylon band. That is the second to last hole on the strap and it is that tight. I just moved it to the last one. I haven't turned it on yet, but disappointed in the band length. The watch itself is the perfect size for me though.

That's way too tight indeed. Sucks.

And looking at your wrists, i'd have sprung for the 42mm model.

That's way too tight indeed. Sucks.

And looking at your wrists, i'd have sprung for the 42mm model.

It looks tight in the pic, but on the last hole it is loose enough. And the 42mm would be too big for my tastes honestly. This is hitting the sweet spot.

I do have a metal band from Amazon that is coming in, and know I can always replace this one cheaply.

jts

...hate me...
There should be two sizes of bands, right? I found this out in the store last week.

I was dead-set on the 38mm watch seeing as I hate big watches, but actually putting it on made it feel like a women's watch. Just too small and the strap was tiny.

What size did everyone else get?
The 42mm really doesn't feel like a big watch at all. It just feels normal sized.

Source: I have a 42mm.

Bonus larger battery and touch targets.

Oxn

Small wristGAF stays winning.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The 42mm really doesn't feel like a big watch at all. It just feels normal sized.

Source: I have a 42mm.

Bonus larger battery and touch targets.

Yeah, it was a no-brainer after trying it out in the store myself.

But does the larger battery actually offer improved battery life?

wish there was a way to track the inventory on these at best buy and apple stores.. looks like i'll just have to drive down there : /

Ristlager

My series 2 order wasn't shipping until October, so went and bought the series 1 from a store today, and cancelled the order. I don't run much, and if I do it's not a big hassle bringing my phone. Waterproofing could be worth the extra 100, but I wanted it right now... hope I did the right choice :)

Tobor

My series 2 order wasn't shipping until October, so went and bought the series 1 from a store today, and cancelled the order. I don't run much, and if I do it's not a big hassle bringing my phone. Waterproofing could be worth the extra 100, but I wanted it right now... hope I did the right choice :)

Did they have any series 2 available?

Ristlager

Did they have any series 2 available?

No, didn't know when it would be available in the shop either. Earliest indications was October. There was only the 42 sport version as well. I am in Norway, and we are probably not that high up in the rankings of who gets the watches first.

Tobor

No, didn't know when it would be available in the shop either. Earliest indications was October. There was only the 42 sport version as well. I am in Norway, and we are probably not that high up in the rankings of who gets the watches first.

Ahh, got it. Thanks for the info!

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, it was a no-brainer after trying it out in the store myself.

But does the larger battery actually offer improved battery life?
Yeah, it does. Not that I have tried a 38mm ever, but at least for the first series, the 42mm was rated at a higher battery life than the 38mm in small type by Apple, without disclosing how much more. But you can also find throughout the internet lots of people with the same experience.

Although battery life has never been a concern for me. As an example, right now is sitting at 68%, 11 hours into my day (with almost 2 hours of Watch usage, without using the workout app). It's a "charge every night" thing that if I forget to do so, it still lasts me almost one more full day.

pbsapeer

Banned
Yeah, it does. Not that I have tried a 38mm ever, but at least for the first series, the 42mm was rated at a higher battery life than the 38mm in small type by Apple, without disclosing how much more. But you can also find throughout the internet lots of people with the same experience.

Although battery life has never been a concern for me. As an example, right now is sitting at 68%, 11 hours into my day (with almost 2 hours of Watch usage, without using the workout app). It's a "charge every night" thing that if I forget to do so, it still lasts me almost one more full day.
Interesting to hear thdat. I was pretty used to it being an 18 hours then dead kinda thing. The fact it could last longer is great.

What sort of charging docks do people use?

"Following in the footsteps of Best Buy, Target has emailed customers that pre-ordered the Apple Watch Series 2 today to inform them that orders may not be delivered by the original date promised upon checkout."

"No updated date was provided for when orders will begin. Target will be emailing a complimentary $50 gift card to affected customers in the next 24 hours to help assuage any inconvenience or frustration the delay may have caused. "

That sucks! But $50 gift card is a nice bonus..

bbapplewatchimage.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Interesting to hear thdat. I was pretty used to it being an 18 hours then dead kinda thing. The fact it could last longer is great.

What sort of charging docks do people use?
It surprised me as well when I got it.

As for docks I still use just my regular cable, but I heard the Apple one is very nice, just haven't had the guts to drop so much cash on it.

Although many fancy docks hold the Watch vertically, I recommend using one that lets the Watch lay flat on its side, so that you can use Nightstand Mode.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I'm here picking up my 7 at the Apple Store right at the opening of the store. I was hoping to get a gold aluminum series 2, but they had none. The shortage is real.

Is the Watch the sort of thing I can swing by my local Apple store this weekend and pick up? Or is this an iPhone wait in line for a slim chance sort of thing?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Why in the world would you or any dude spring for the 38mm?

pbsapeer

Banned
It surprised me as well when I got it.

As for docks I still use just my regular cable, but I heard the Apple one is very nice, just haven't had the guts to drop so much cash on it.

Although many fancy docks hold the Watch vertically, I recommend using one that lets the Watch lay flat on its side, so that you can use Nightstand Mode.
Sorry to sound dim, but what's the difference?

BTails

I can understand the desire for 38mm... I have pretty thin wrists, and was debating between sizes. In the end, a quick trip to the Apple Store convinced me that the 42mm was the way to go. My Series 2 Gold Aluminum with Cocoa sport band just shipped, delivery scheduled for next Wednesday!

I had previously ordered a 42mm for my wife as well, but that same visit to the Apple Store showed that even though the watch face fit on her wrist, the band caused the watch to sit uneven, so we swapped her order to a 38mm.

It looks tight in the pic, but on the last hole it is loose enough. And the 42mm would be too big for my tastes honestly. This is hitting the sweet spot.

I do have a metal band from Amazon that is coming in, and know I can always replace this one cheaply.

You might be sorry if you don't get the 42mm. I can see many bands not fitting that wrist.

Didn't want a large chiclet on my wrist. It doesn't look strange on my wrist. I actually measured my wrist with tape and the 42mm would be too large for the bands.

Not that much difference between 38 and 42 either, but it's all about the bands for me.

br3wnor

Anyone else w/ an OG Watch updated to Watch OS3?

So far I'm a fan, really like the Dock which gets me to the few apps I actually use really quickly, hated dealing w/ that mess of small circles or the old "swipe up and then right/left" to reach favorites, always felt slow to use.

Also, while it's a small thing, I appreciate being able to switch watch faces quickly. Lets me switch between my 'casual' and 'professional' faces depending on what I'm doing at work. Can't believe they're still so slow to release new watch faces. I actually like the new "Number" one and am currently using it, but how they don't have 100+ different faces available is beyond me, should be one of the biggest selling points of a digital watch.

Definitely feel like it moves around a bit quicker as well, some apps still take a while to load, but overall it doesn't feel as sluggish as it did before the update. Pleased w/ the update generally and happy that it gave some new life to my OG Watch. Look forward to upgrading to Series 3 when it eventually comes out.

By the way, if you guys are looking for certain apps for Apple watch, give this website a shot.

http://watchaware.com/watch-apps/featured

It has a very comprehensive database of apps with watch support. It even has animated gifs of how they look and act. It's impressive stuff.

Thanks for this link, awesome site!

You might be sorry if you don't get the 42mm. I can see many bands not fitting that wrist.
The metal link band I got from amazon actually fits perfectly after removing two links. It is just the nylon band that is super short for me. But the 38mm size is good for me.
I have a coworker with a 42mm and tried it on and it looked too large for my tastes.

The metal link band I got from amazon actually fits perfectly after removing two links. It is just the nylon band that is super short for me. But the 38mm size is good for me.
I have a coworker with a 42mm and tried it on and it looked too large for my tastes.

That's good news. Yeah, I felt the same way about the 42mm. Tried the 38mm, because I was worried it might look too feminine, but it's not even close. Perfect size for me.

Uh - with the exception of the tight strap, the actual watch looks about the perfect size on his wrist. I've seen some guys wearing the 42mm where it looks borderline ridiculous.

Fashion > going for the bigger size just 'cause "Derp - the small size is just for ladies!"

Edit

This video completely swayed me on getting the 38mm as my wrists are around his size.
https://youtu.be/wXPX8E78usc

Tobor

Went by the Apple Store, they were sold out of all 42mm stainless steel. Oh well.

On the plus side, I got my XL strap from Apple. Now I just need the watch!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The ceramic and the Hermes versions all seem like better takes (and more appropriate market position /price) on the Edition version.

Carlisle

Woo-hoo! Delivery estimate got bumped again from wed to tues!

38mm on a men's wrist. True, I am on the leaner build size. I did try on the 42 but just looked too big. This size is perfect and prefer the smaller profile

Wow, if you didn't mention the size I'd have guessed it was a 42 by how it looks on your wrist. Yeah, looks like you made a good call.

Ok been playing with it and it's great! Very very glad I went with the 42mm as it still kind of looks small on my normal sized wrist. Hope all of you get yours in today too!

Guess Who

Banned
Uh - with the exception of the tight strap, the actual watch looks about the perfect size on his wrist. I've seen some guys wearing the 42mm where it looks borderline ridiculous.

Fashion > going for the bigger size just 'cause "Derp - the small size is just for ladies!"

Edit

This video completely swayed me on getting the 38mm as my wrists are around his size.

Yeah, I'm a 42mm owner myself, but that's because it just happens to fit my ~180mm wrists. For smaller or thinner guys, the 38mm is definitely the way to go. I've seen dudes buying the 42mm even when the case practically goes over the edge of their wrist and it looks ridiculous.

Damn Apple spent $80 of my $1250 on including that thing I already bought

I don't think that's how it works. lol. Apple pays less than half, probably less, than what it charges customers. They could be buying them for $5-10 dollars for all we know, and selling them for $80 bucks.

On the bright side, you can always sell it on eBay, or use it in the office as secondary! :)

Got the Series 1 this morning. Quick impressions after an hour or so from a first time owner:

Luckily, it was updated to 3.0, so I didn't have to waste time updating. Navigating is kind of unintuitive. I don't really like using the crown for anything. It still feels a bit sluggish. The screen brightness is fine in direct sunlight on a sunny day, so I'm not sweating that. The haptic feedback is so weak I can barely feel it at times. And, "Hey Siri" isn't as recognizable as the phone. Also, I'm not tapping things very well since the screen is small and I'm not used to such tiny targets.

It is really nice being able to control stuff on the phone while in the pocket. I think I need to read some guides on how to use it and like tips and tricks, because right now I'm a little confused on lots of stuff, which is rare for an Apple product.

It certainly looks beautiful. The screen is very nice and clear and bright. Wrist detection has been working for me so far, but I'm typing right now and I triggered it twice for some reason.

FaceTime call I'm on right now drops a few seconds every few minutes. Not sure if it is because of the Watch, my connection, or the other person's connection. I didn't tell them it was from the wrist, but they heard me perfectly clear the entire time minus the few second drops and I was able to keep typing this the entire time. Really neat.

I haven't gotten any notifications on my phone yet (other than iMessages and that Facetime Call, but I'm curious to see how that stuff works with the Watch. Hopefully if I clear a notification on the Watch, it clears on the phone. I'll leave everything on for a few days and see what I want on the watch and what I don't.

Edit: I have an unread notification on the Watch with a Red Dot on the top of the Watch screen... how do I see it? I tap the dot but nothing happens. How can I tell what the unread notification is? Nevermind. Figured it out. Had no idea you could swipe on the watch face.

Got my iPhone but no watch, the store had em available but not in gold:/

Just gotta wait till my online order comes in. Cmon Apple bump me up from the 30th!

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Edit

So like skinny jeans for your wrist?

jts

...hate me...
Sorry to sound dim, but what's the difference?
Nightstand mode is enabled when the Watch is on its side and charging.

watch-nightstand-mode-hero.jpg

It's a sort of a skin that makes it look like a bedside clock, shows the time in big sized numbers, shows when the alarm is going to ring, lits up slowly and brighter as the time of your alarm approaches, and the physical buttons (pointing upwards) will act as the snooze and the stop buttons.

The display doesn't stay always on but it will turn on every time it senses movement with its accelerometers (for example, a slight tap on the bedside table would be enough) or it's touched itself.

It's pretty nifty.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205045

Top Bottom